HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Brawler / Rocketeer - Class C still needs work

Alpha Beta

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Aelieth

Aelieth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationShawnee, Oklahoma or Nagoya, Japan

Posted October 26 2012 - 09:13 PM

Just one night of closed beta and I have to say that the rocketeer and brawler still need serious help. I've been doing well since I was used to them from Alpha, but changing additional damage in turret form with the Rocketeer to movement speed_ Really_ You made the turtle faster, but the main maneuverability skills are still missing, such as Dodge, and jump / lift, and can still not use items nor repair unless going back into normal mode. Heck, still don't even get all the info in turret mode you do in normal mode.

The trade off to go into turret form vs staying in normal form is still way too one sided. The faster mechs don't even care if they play smart, they just dance around the stationary hunk of junk and kill it. Shoot a tow missile, not that hard, or an emp, or even toss grenades at it. Point being - there needs to be a big reason to go into turret mode and not just some additional armor.

Health regen in turret mode should be across the board for all class C, IMO, in addition to another ability. Rocketeer does not need speed, giving a long range artillery mech speed in its artillery form is rather silly. Put the damage back, please. The brawler could benefit more from the speed, but I would still like to see something more useful than making the turtle go faster.

I'll end the rant there and go back to play my class C among all the assault mechs, sprinkled in sharpshooters, and the lone brawler here and there. I'm the only rocketeer I've seen out of about 10 games now. :(
Posted Image
Seriously suicidal scrapheap operator

#2 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 09:33 PM

I stand by my statement that the turret abilities are among the strongest in the game. Right after cloak.

#3 Immie

Immie

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted October 26 2012 - 09:46 PM

Brawler is probably my choice for strongest mech in the game right now (dat flak cannon). Rocketeer suffers a little, since the EOC is quite hard to be effective with, and hellfires are not great at short range and easy to dodge otherwise, but the heat cannon is pretty darn good, and I believe you can use missiles to shoot down the battle ships in siege mode, which is a handy new use for it.

I feel the balance between mech sizes is actually quite good. I don't think the heavy deployment abilities are very good... so I just don't use them, and I do just as well if not better than with faster classes.

Posted Image

#4 Juodvarnis

Juodvarnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted October 26 2012 - 10:48 PM

I believe that the C-class really needs some love. Mostly because they barely have more health than B-class, but are just so slow and they're a very large target. Hmm... well when i think about the "Turret" mode, i kind of wish it was more like riot shields in other games, impenetrable to bullets, still vulnerable to explosives, and from behind wouldn't protect you. To add to the awesomeness, it would be cool if it would protect your top, while not deployed.
I also think SA hawkins on the Brawler isn't a good choice, Point-D Vulcan would be much better
Posted Image
*sigh*

#5 IceTonic

IceTonic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 11:09 PM

Class-C's really need some rework to their ability since every other mech class gives purely advantages, unlike the Turret modes. I've fought them, and the only time they're a threat is when they are NOT using their ability.

It wouldn't be so bad if their shielding had a seperate Armor pool, so that it would actually encourage hitting the exposed points of the heavy mech to do any serious damage. Alas, it does not and just becomes a giant punching bag, the health regen should be put across them all and it won't be OP since it is incredibly slow from the POV of someone who attacks these kind of mechs now. I'm more afraid of a run and gun heavy trying to get close with its Flak than a camping Turret. I literally just plop a grenade or TOW in its direction, dodge to take cover and repeat until its dead. Minimal damage taken, but it was a larger waste of time to take it out.

Rocketeer's exclusive portion of the ability, if it was truly improved movement it would of been great if it allowed all boosts except for verticle. Even if it is a bit hindered, if they wanted to give Rocketeer's Turret mode actual movement, the ability to still boost around would actually be beneficial since it is so slow in general anyway. If such changes actually happened, the Brawler would need something special to make it worth using compared to the Rocketeer. Ability to Repair comes to mind, but then it would feel pilots would camp it too much. What would you call a proper Fortified Turret at this point_

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Alpha, Beta

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users