HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Allow us to choose our starter mech when open beta goes live

Beta

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationAt the back of the North Wind

Posted October 30 2012 - 09:57 AM

Rather than giving us a fixed “starter mech”, when open-beta goes live, please provide users with an empty garage BUT just enough Hawken points to purchase a mech of their own choice. Allow me to explain:

I hadn’t brought this up before, mainly because there were more free starter mechs to choose from at one point (I can’t say when. Sorry, NDA). The way it stands right now in closed beta, I’m uncomfortable with the playstyle of the Assault mech, and would really have liked to play with an A-class mech straight off the bat without using my points. I’m not certain if the developers intend to model future closed beta tests and even the open beta on this model of “here’s one class as a starter mech, enjoy”.

Psychologically-speaking, this approach also fosters greater attachment with the purchased mech, as the player will then need to stick with the mech they’ve purchased (for better or worse). Providing an empty garage gives users the option to pick the starter mech they want to play with (and experiment with and perhaps even die with), which feeds into the customisation aspect of the game. There are some players who will immediately be comfortable with the B-chassis starter, and that’s fine for them, but this puts players who favour the slow, lumbering nature of C-class mechs and the lightning-fast nature of A-class mechs at an immediate disadvantage.

As an alternative to this recommendation, please provide three starter mechs, albeit one from each class. One A-class, One B-class, and one C-class mech would favour this balanced start from the get-go, where new users will be able to immediately familiarise themselves with the behaviour of the different mech chassis and easily translate their skills into a different (purchased) mech of that chassis. The skills a person learns from playing with a C-class mech do not translate directly into playing with an A-class mech, let me tell you.

In summary: Please provide us with an empty garage and enough Hawken points to buy our very first mech from the mech shop. OR, ALTERNATIVELY: Give us access to one starter mech from each weight class.

Edited by Conquistador, October 30 2012 - 09:59 AM.

Posted Image

#2 Cyclonus

Cyclonus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 10:00 AM

I totally agree with you, not that's worth anything though.

#3 ForgottenSoup

ForgottenSoup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 10:08 AM

Agree.

#4 Korriban87

Korriban87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationA galaxy far far away...

Posted October 30 2012 - 10:22 AM

+1 to you Sir.

#5 QuanZen

QuanZen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Location_...My GPS isn't working

Posted October 30 2012 - 10:23 AM

I wish we could have the option that you purposed...but I personally feel like I am a tester so I test what's given to me. I'm sure we will be given more options as these Closed Beta events go on.
Posted Image

#6 WALSRU

WALSRU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 10:24 AM

I'm not sure if I agree or disagree. I sort of want those that never spend a dime on the game to be running around in TV mechs...

#7 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationAt the back of the North Wind

Posted October 30 2012 - 10:29 AM

View PostWALSRU, on October 30 2012 - 10:24 AM, said:

I'm not sure if I agree or disagree. I sort of want those that never spend a dime on the game to be running around in TV mechs...

Unless they make every starter skin for every much a TV mech this is only temporary at best. I could very well grind until I can get another mech and never touch the starter again (or the stigma associated with the free design).
Posted Image

#8 WALSRU

WALSRU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 10:36 AM

Good point . . . derp

#9 QuanZen

QuanZen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Location_...My GPS isn't working

Posted October 30 2012 - 10:47 AM

But TV Mech is awesome!
Posted Image

#10 Avlaen

Avlaen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted October 30 2012 - 04:40 PM

I agree, i allways go for the bigger heavier mechs first (eg the brawler <3) But if i was forced into playing assault i would probly of been put of playing the game and possibly spending money (would leave a bad taste in the mouth being forced into a playstyle you dont like), also this would foster a certain amount of "goodwill" to new players, "hey look we can start with any mech we like thats cool" and would be more liekly to stay and more likely to buy stuff.
Furry gamer/nerd girl who loves most sci fi and fantasy stuff with a special love for the 40k universe.

#11 Arcana13

Arcana13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 05:17 AM

inb4 ppls spamming new accounts to get their hands on all the mech. That aside I don't like to play the default assault either so I just hope the devs can come up with something.

#12 Merxe

Merxe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 06:18 AM

My first dealings with Hawken started only a few days ago when I was finally able to access the closed beta. I launched the game and I played only with the given Assault mech. It was fine and all but I saw others using other mechs. I wanted to try them out. My problem was also that I didn't know if I can spend those Meteor Points or not_ I didn't know their value so I had no idea what to purchase. I didn't spend even one MP on anything. I barely took the second given mech for a ride - you know, the one where in the Garage it says "Free".
I didn't search the forum for the answer about the given MPs (and I should. I probably should have spent them) but the facts are like this:
1) I had 1 Assault mech and didn't spend any MPs because I didn't know what to do with them
and if I had 3 different mechs from the start:
2) I have 3 different mechs and some MPs that I don't know what to do with them.
Now, you can clearly see that, in my case, if I had more mechs from the start, my experience from the game would be greater.

Only to explain. I didn't spend any MPs because I like to gather stuff, thus I saved those. I felt like I had to do it. That's just how I am and probably many (or not) people did the same - played around with one Assault mech and that's all.
It would be a lot better for me if I was given a number of tools to play with from the start.

Unfortunately for me, I didn't have much time during this closed beta so I played like 10-15 matches but I was already able to give some feedback in the suggestions section based on what I experienced. If I was given more mechs. If I was given more mechs to start this, I would have probably had more to say. But, of course, this may have been my problem only.

Bottom line, I support OPs ideas.

#13 BeefC4ke

BeefC4ke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 10:24 AM

I agree on getting to choose a single mech from the garage OR a list of 3 (one from each class with a representative spread in weapons)

or the second idea from OP which is just having three mech available.

+1
/Merf-isms - What will he come up with next_

dirtnapgaming.com

#14 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted October 31 2012 - 10:28 AM

Maybe you start with a standard default newbie mech, but the first mech you purchase with Hawken/Meteor points is substantially less expensive than usual (like, 80% off) to give you the choice of what you want to do early on_
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#15 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 10:42 AM

How about for the first X games that an account plays they have access to a free version of each weight class_
This way players can test each one out and find the one they prefer, and this should also give them plenty of matches with which to earn a bunch of HP to buy the mech they want.

I gotta admit that being stuck with the Assault wasn't fun for both me and the friends I've got playing the Beta.
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

#16 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted October 31 2012 - 10:47 AM

Don't forget that, at the beginning, the Infiltrator was the "free" mech, but you couldn't customize its kit.

It stands to reason that, in the open beta and beyond, there'll be sufficient mech options and a rotation of free mechs through the roster (somewhat like the rotating roster of free champions in LoL).
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#17 Astrolis

Astrolis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted October 31 2012 - 10:48 AM

I've run out of likes today. +1 to OP. Great idea.

DEVS HEAR US NOW!!!!
Posted Image

#18 BernardWiseman

BernardWiseman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 12:27 PM

I definitely agree, it'll help lessen the impression of "everyone has all this stuff that I don't have" for a new player.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beta

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users