HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Story In-Game

Art Beta Community Event Fanart Game Introduction Patch Preview Review

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: A Story In-Game (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you all like it if there was an introduction to the game_

1. Yes! A story would be nice! Lovely!! (31 votes [96.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 96.88%

2. Nope. I'm not a story guy. I love pointless battles. (1 votes [3.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

3. Donno. I'll stay between the devil and the sea. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 CapAllan

CapAllan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFitting my Incinerator's cockpit with neon lights and a 7.1 surround sound speaker system at Loui's Garage, Illal

Posted September 06 2014 - 01:41 AM

Hi guys! I was just wondering if they could put up the #1 part of the HAWKENTM : Genesis (which is free) up in the game as an introduction to the game. Rather than being thrown into a mech and being sent to a battlefield and pumping out lead, new players would realize the story of the game and for what they are fighting for. The players will be given a purpose rather than engaging in pointless battles to dominate over another person. The introduction will be even more effective if they preview part #1 with the Guided View technology found in Comixology and with a voice-over of a person with a deep voice (Morgan Freeman if possible). Even if they won't put in a campaign for this awesome game, this might suffice our needs at the moment.

Something like what ReEvolve suggested!

Posted Image

Oh! And this is my first poll by the way!! :) :D :lol: B) :rolleyes: :ph34r:

Edited by CapAllan, September 06 2014 - 02:18 AM.

Posted Image

#2 Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationBeing a Turnip.

Posted September 06 2014 - 01:48 AM

Morgan Freeman.

Posted Image

Also, I've always thought an introduction to the game would be cool :)
Posted ImageWhoever said Turnips couldn't play Video Games was wrong. Probably.
Spoiler

#3 ReEvolve

ReEvolve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted September 06 2014 - 01:51 AM

I agree and suggested it a while ago in my "improve the newbies' experience" thread: https://community.pl...unity-and-devs/

View PostReEvolve, on March 24 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

Add a slideshow to introduce the player to Hawken's lore (and sell some novels) (dev)

Problem: There are many players that don't even know that there's a story behind Hawken. (thread 1, thread 2 and more)

Effect: New players often think that Hawken has no story since the story isn't told though the game but though the "Hawken: Genesis" and "Hawken: Melee" graphic novels.

Possible solution: Players can be introduced to Hawken's story by using a "simple" slideshow that shows the sample pages that are already available on the playhawken.com website at the start of the VR training. The slideshow could be made by using the existing "press spacebar to continue" windows. Every frame gets it's own window and clicking on the learn more slides could launch the respective page in the Steam overlay webbrowser. It could look like this:

Posted Image

#4 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted September 06 2014 - 01:56 AM

It is indeed a great thing to add to the game.

Posted Image

#5 CapAllan

CapAllan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFitting my Incinerator's cockpit with neon lights and a 7.1 surround sound speaker system at Loui's Garage, Illal

Posted September 07 2014 - 06:28 AM

Wow! Not a single negative or neutral vote! All so far are in favour!
Posted Image

#6 I2DI

I2DI

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationWonderland

Posted September 08 2014 - 03:09 AM

I would like an introduction like: You are badass and then... SURPRISE MOTHERF@CKER, welcome to Hell aka Illal.
Or something like that.
You better shouldn't do !!Science!!, 'cos i will bring it to you myself.
References to the God of References.

#7 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationIn Space's Solemn Silence

Posted September 08 2014 - 03:27 PM

I'd like to see something Avatar-esque (but not necessarily Dances with Smurfs style) for Hawken's storyline.

(I've always thought of Hawken this way, even after reading up on lore)

"Or maybe we'll just have to go through you"

#8 Massive_Assailant_Stingray

Massive_Assailant_Stingray

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted September 09 2014 - 05:37 AM

Tbh, I'm increasingly amazed at how people need stories to drive thier multiplayer fps experience. Back in the day people used to just shoot each other for fun. I don't really understand why you need a "purpose" when such a story doesn't actually give any purpose or justify you playing.

Not to dog on your idea or anything, but I really do find it extremely baffling, and tbh, kind of annoying.

#9 Pastorius

Pastorius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • LocationUK: (In my castle talking to the Queen on skype)

Posted September 09 2014 - 06:10 AM

I find people who write tbh kind of annoying... :D only joking matey, please don't take offence. I just couldn't resist.

I like the Idea, I have said many times on this forum over the past few years that HAWKEN'S lore is one of the things that drew me to the game and keeps me here. I have Genesis and all the Melee comic books. I even have the real time card game. I would love it if they bought back plans to make the movie. IT NEEDS TO BE A MOVIE!

Posted Image

#10 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted September 09 2014 - 02:04 PM

yup. that was the teaser that got me hooked (the link was one of those annoying FaceBook sidebar ads).
It prolly woulda been a movie, if Avatar hadn't beaten 'em to the punch with their "mech war".
It would def be marvelous if some Indy film group did it, anyway!
:)
Edit: it occured to me that an Indy did get the rights, and I forgot that.
So: "It would def be marvelous if their Indy film group got off their asses and did it, anyway!"
Better.

Edited by EM1O, September 09 2014 - 10:21 PM.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#11 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationIn Space's Solemn Silence

Posted September 09 2014 - 03:38 PM

View PostMassive_Assailant_Stingray, on September 09 2014 - 05:37 AM, said:

Tbh, I'm increasingly amazed at how people need stories to drive thier multiplayer fps experience. Back in the day people used to just shoot each other for fun. I don't really understand why you need a "purpose" when such a story doesn't actually give any purpose or justify you playing.

Welcome to the modern days, we need a reason to do anything OR WE WONT DO IT.

"Or maybe we'll just have to go through you"

#12 Massive_Assailant_Stingray

Massive_Assailant_Stingray

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted September 09 2014 - 05:26 PM

I can understand why people like it, and I don't really mind it being there in the back ground, if I don't really have to interact with it. I do thoroughly enjoy strong lore and a good story in certain types of games. But when it comes to multiplayer shooters I find it more refreshing to just get on and play.

Especially because I don't think a story really drives this kind of gaming experience. In a single player game you are constantly interacting and being driven by the lore/story/word. But in hawken, even if you put some lore or story behind why i'm taking some silo, I'm still just taking the silo for mutiplayer points that I'm hoping will lead to a win. You could argue that it's the same for single players games, but these types of multiplayer games are undoubtedly more detatched from that.

But what IronClamp said is entirely true. Pointless detatched backstory is becoming an increasingly popular trend. I can't tell you how big of a deal people make out of tf2s back story when it has nothing to do with why they actually log on and shoot at each other.

So yeah making the story more readily available would be very beneficial, so long as it's avoidable for grumpy people like me.

Edited by Massive_Assailant_Stingray, September 09 2014 - 05:27 PM.

#13 CapAllan

CapAllan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted September 10 2014 - 02:09 AM

View PostMassive_Assailant_Stingray, on September 09 2014 - 05:26 PM, said:

So yeah making the story more readily available would be very beneficial, so long as it's avoidable for grumpy people like me.

Oh, I wanted it to be a One- time only thing. You only get to see it when you play the game for the first time (option to see it later also cool!).

View PostCapAllan, on September 07 2014 - 06:28 AM, said:

Wow! Not a single negative or neutral vote! All so far are in favour!

Oops! Spoke too soon!

Okay so lets get this straight. By doing this, the Dev's will be advertising the comics by doing this. (Profit! Big Bucks! Goodies for us! (New mechs, stuff blah blah blah)).
I learnt about this game first when I saw the live wallpaper in Tegrazone! It looked awesome. I didn't know then that it was a game, but the idea of robots with guns seemed cool to me. 1 year later, I find this game in steam, downloads and plays! I was blown! The game was awesome. I couldn't let go of the keyboard and mouse for 5 hours straight! I was hooked! But then I quit fearing that I would go blind from excessive gaming.

As I switched the computer off, I wanted to know what really happened in Illal. Leia mentioned the planet once or twice, but I never really got the story! I know its an online multi-player and all that, but Wreckage, Bazaar, Origin! What happened here__ Man, it looks so lifeless! What are these creepy patches of metal I see in different places__ What is Prosk and Sentium_ Is it some racial group or division or something like that_ I wanted to know what happened! I got a small idea of the place form the mech descriptions. But it wasn't enough. Research on the game got me an Idea of what happened. It might be a new trend, but having a story would be different and supportive too!
Or, they could make it like you unlock bits of the story by completing achievements (like in Transforms : Revenge of the Fallen were you unlock old cartoon shows).
We'll, I ain't a judge, but ya, An in-game story would be great!
Posted Image

#14 crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Best Coast

Posted September 11 2014 - 09:22 PM

I totally think it should be in there, but it should be a menu option accessible at any time, rather than something you have to go through when you start. When you start out, it's kinda like "I just did training, let me blow stuff up now!"
Signing on the dotted line

#15 Pastorius

Pastorius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • LocationUK: (In my castle talking to the Queen on skype)

Posted September 12 2014 - 04:38 AM

View PostEM1O, on September 09 2014 - 02:04 PM, said:

yup. that was the teaser that got me hooked (the link was one of those annoying FaceBook sidebar ads).
It prolly woulda been a movie, if Avatar hadn't beaten 'em to the punch with their "mech war".
So: "It would def be marvelous if their Indy film group got off their asses and did it, anyway!"
Better.

Well, a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.... The 2012 comicon to be exact.  Scott Waugh (Act of Valor) announced that he was directing a trilogy of HAWKEN movies that would rival Star Wars_! The rights to the HAWKEN Movie were sold very early on to DJ2 Entertainment who made the live action trailer but (as far as I know) nothing has happened since then. They havent updated their website since September 2013.

This trailer is cool too..,

Edited by Pastorius, September 12 2014 - 08:50 AM.

Posted Image

#16 CapAllan

CapAllan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted September 12 2014 - 01:21 PM

View Postcrockrocket, on September 11 2014 - 09:22 PM, said:

I totally think it should be in there, but it should be a menu option accessible at any time, rather than something you have to go through when you start. When you start out, it's kinda like "I just did training, let me blow stuff up now!"

Oh yes. Like that. You see it once and then you can access it at any time you want. It shouldn't be compulsory or anything, you can skip if you want.

View PostPastorius, on September 12 2014 - 04:38 AM, said:

View PostEM1O, on September 09 2014 - 02:04 PM, said:

Better.

Well, a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.... The 2012 comicon to be exact.  Scott Waugh (Act of Valor) announced that he was directing a trilogy of HAWKEN movies that would rival Star Wars_! The rights to the HAWKEN Movie were sold very early on to DJ2 Entertainment who made the live action trailer but (as far as I know) nothing has happened since then. They havent updated their website since September 2013.

This trailer is cool too..,

Sniff :unsure: :wacko: . I really thought they were gonna get those movies out. But its easier said than done. When I first heard that they were gonna release some movies, I was pumped!! Awesome, I thought. I even pumped up my friends telling the same thing. We were all excited and one day, like a brick in the face, I hear that they are slacking and that the stuff they told was said in the future impossible tense.

Really sad! It was one game with lots of potential!
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Art, Beta, Community, Event, Fanart, Game, Introduction, Patch, Preview, Review

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users