HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

What Hawken Isn't -- Is that okay_

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#41 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted October 31 2012 - 02:55 AM

View PostPursang, on October 30 2012 - 11:37 PM, said:

One can't really do the same thing with mechs as there is nothing in reality to base them from.
There isn't_
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#42 Lazoraz

Lazoraz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 03:16 AM

In this thread: Passive aggressiveness.

Edited by Lazoraz, October 31 2012 - 03:17 AM.

Ctrl-F-U

#43 Inny

Inny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 04:26 AM

This thread was started by someone who clearly didn't enjoy the game, as made obvious by their multiple "Goodbye" topics.

Safe to say that they aren't really interested in a constructive conversation, they'd rather set the fire and run, which is exactly what everyone has been doing.

#44 Pursang

Pursang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • LocationTera

Posted October 31 2012 - 04:40 AM

So many people worked up over such a triviality. Haha, love it.
Posted Image

#45 NUCLEARSHARKHEAD

NUCLEARSHARKHEAD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationIN THE HOUSE FOOL!

Posted October 31 2012 - 04:43 AM

At this stage, continuing the genre conversation just makes any future posters who take it seriously, look more and more gullible. This thread could be a massive troll and you'd never know it >: D

Edited by NUCLEARSHARKHEAD, October 31 2012 - 04:44 AM.

#46 z121231211

z121231211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 04:44 AM

View PostTemperWolf, on October 30 2012 - 03:48 PM, said:

What Hawken Is

Hawken is a First Person Shooter set in the future where every person is a robot. Understand that me stating that “every person is a robot” this is not how the game lore is written; or how the art is handled; or how the menu looks; or how the website looks; but it is the result we are given when we actually play game.

People who finally get their hands on the title quickly realize they are dealing with something very much more in the same genre as Team Fortress 2, Counter Strike, Battlefield, Tribes, and Modern Warfare. Through gameplay, the developers of Hawken made that Mechs are merely a cosmetic thing. The result is that Hawken is just your everyday FPS placing several mechanisms from current titles into a futuristic setting that is truly beautiful to look at.

I disagree. I know there are quite a few people who want it to be that, but what Hawken is doing well is make you feel like you're controlling a mech. It's a somewhat quick mech, but you have much less mobility compared to other FPS games.
Desert Fox

#47 Kai_Kitamura

Kai_Kitamura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 05:12 AM

I disagree. I know there are quite a few people who want it to be that, but what Hawken is doing well is make you feel like you're controlling a mech. It's a somewhat quick mech, but you have much less mobility compared to other FPS games.
Exactly. Like I said somewhere else, the game strikes an interesting balance between the turret slouch of MWO and hyperactive action of, say, Exteel.
Brawler - Gespenst Type-S -=- Bruiser - Gespenst Type-R -=- Rocketeer - Randgirth -=- Infiltrator - Lion -=- Sharpshooter - Weissritter

...make no mistake - we are not shy
We're very wide awake - the moon and I!

#48 WALSRU

WALSRU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 05:37 AM

It is okay because I'm having fun.

On the other hand I want SO badly for an AC style garage. I haven't really enjoyed the current gen AC games because of the extremely obtuse menus and repetitive missions. Going into Hawken I had an expectation as well, despite that I'm accepting the game as robo-TF2-Halo-Tribes.

What is it about beta forums that makes the hardcore so belligerent__

#49 Dracoslayer16

Dracoslayer16

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 03:11 PM

I love how this thread has turned into a rage fight about the definition of the word "simulation."

Also mad props to WALSRU for the Gurren Lagann avatar
Posted Image

#50 BernardWiseman

BernardWiseman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 03:53 PM

"Star Fox is like IL-2 Sturmovik if every fighter had been transformed into a paper airplane. This isn't the type of game I enjoy playing, so therefore Nintendo is a greedy corporation intent on making money above all else. No real person could possibly enjoy Star Fox without also being part of the 'COD audience'. (Ugh!) In fact, Star Fox isn't a starfighter sim, a starfighter GAME, or any facsimile of a starfighter game. In fact, the fact that Star Fox contains craft which fly around at high speeds and shoot at other vehicles may lead people who are thirsty for a hardcore flight sim into thinking Star Fox is the game for them."

#51 Dracoslayer16

Dracoslayer16

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 04:36 PM

View PostBernardWiseman, on October 31 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

"Star Fox is like IL-2 Sturmovik if every fighter had been transformed into a paper airplane. This isn't the type of game I enjoy playing, so therefore Nintendo is a greedy corporation intent on making money above all else. No real person could possibly enjoy Star Fox without also being part of the 'COD audience'. (Ugh!) In fact, Star Fox isn't a starfighter sim, a starfighter GAME, or any facsimile of a starfighter game. In fact, the fact that Star Fox contains craft which fly around at high speeds and shoot at other vehicles may lead people who are thirsty for a hardcore flight sim into thinking Star Fox is the game for them."
^ Win
Posted Image

#52 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 05:32 PM

The devs never intended HAWKEN to be a mech "simulator" (whatever that means, Falcon 4.0 is the only real simulator worthy of the title simulator).  They've always said it's going to be between a standard FPS, and a mech game.

While customization isn't as great as other mech games, it's still more than FPS
Torso twist restrictions aren't quite down the line of FPS
Quicker movement leans towards FPS

I could go on, but the point is:  From all the reading and following I've done on this game, they're making the game they've always said they were making.

Want more mech "simulation", go play mechwarrior.  Want more FPS, go play one.  Want inbetween_  playhawken.com

#53 Fishweasel

Fishweasel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted November 01 2012 - 05:45 AM

I would like to counter argue one of your wishes.

Whilst being able to tweak / upgrade your mech with existing parts or skills sounds lke fun, this will make the game very hard or even unplayable for new members as time goes by.
You will end up with the hardcore players having super pimped up mechs that a new player couldnt possibly take on and win.

I have seen this in Eve online, wherein a new player better get teamed up with long term players or a lot of them if they want to take on an experienced player as the armour and dps become hugely differing.
Posted Image

#54 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationAt the back of the North Wind

Posted November 01 2012 - 09:04 AM

I still can't believe this thread made it onto the penny arcade website as a mention in one of their articles. Particularly given its rocky start.

On topic: has anyone considered the idea that there is beauty in simplicity_ Reading some of the earlier posts, the last thing I'd want hawken to evolve into would be a mecha eve online. The sheer amount of complexity in eve is staggering to a new player. I work with spreadsheets in a corporation all day, the last thing I want to do is go home to play in a game where I need to use even more spreadsheets to get the optimal statistically tailored mech. By that point, customisation options be damned, I just want to play the game.

One last thing: if hawken emulates the mechwarrior gameplay model TOO MUCH, the game is at risk of being sued for copyright infringement. I don't want hawken to become a mechwarrior clone any more than the courts would.

To the OP: perhaps hawken isn't right for you. Maybe the solution isn't a more mechwarrior-like hawken. Maybe it's a game called mechwarrior online.
Posted Image

#55 WALSRU

WALSRU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted November 01 2012 - 09:28 AM

View PostConquistador, on November 01 2012 - 09:04 AM, said:

To the OP: perhaps hawken isn't right for you. Maybe the solution isn't a more mechwarrior-like hawken. Maybe it's a game called mechwarrior online.

If MWO was any fun the OP probably wouldn't be here playing the beta...

#56 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationAt the back of the North Wind

Posted November 01 2012 - 09:32 AM

View PostWALSRU, on November 01 2012 - 09:28 AM, said:

View PostConquistador, on November 01 2012 - 09:04 AM, said:

If MWO was any fun the OP probably wouldn't be here playing the beta...

Touché.

Perhaps the OP's optimal solution then is a fun version of Mechwarrior online. I wish him all the best with that.

Edited by Conquistador, November 01 2012 - 09:33 AM.

Posted Image

#57 Neurofunk

Neurofunk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted November 01 2012 - 02:47 PM

Thank god Hawken is not much of an simulation, its a really well done arcade mech shooter, and let it be this way.

#58 TheChaffeemancer

TheChaffeemancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted November 01 2012 - 02:52 PM

View PostNeurofunk, on November 01 2012 - 02:47 PM, said:

Thank god Hawken is not much of an simulation, its a really well done arcade mech shooter, and let it be this way.

No, it most conform. We must have conformity. Variety is scary.
Beep beep, Kiwi's a Chaffeemancer.

#59 PsychoTick

PsychoTick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted November 01 2012 - 05:40 PM

I agree and disagree.

I do wish that Hawken had more customization, but, you're going to love this, it's just beta. It has time to evolve and grow.

But I am a BattleTech man first, so I have to say bull-fuzzy bunny to where you claim Armored Core is the better/motherofall sim.

#60 BernardWiseman

BernardWiseman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted November 02 2012 - 04:17 PM

View PostTheChaffeemancer, on November 01 2012 - 02:52 PM, said:

View PostNeurofunk, on November 01 2012 - 02:47 PM, said:

No, it most conform. We must have conformity. Variety is scary.

Wait, are you seriously arguing that we need more arcade shooters and fewer sim games_ Really_ Do you think the flood of mech sims is threatening to quash the fledgling arcade shooter market_ Take a step back and think about that for a second.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users