HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

IF YOU'RE NOT WILLING TO WORK AS A TEAM IN SIEGE OR MISSILE GO PLAY DEATHMATCH

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#41 Inny

Inny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 04:16 AM

Posted Image

Edited by Inny, October 31 2012 - 04:17 AM.

#42 Zombierave

Zombierave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 05:11 AM

In general, I agree with op. I played a match where the only point that the rest of my team worked together on was shooting at the battleship in which when the opp. figured this out they started to disregard the AA and just shoot my team. Of course it was really annoyed seeing as how they were busy either dying or shooting at the battleship while I was busy gathering EU and gaining kills on the AA. The only thing that I was satisfied with was my own performance having become top of my team by a fairly large margin. Otherwise I was pretty irate that we lost. The game mode isn't even that hard or complicated to understand. The first game mode and match I ever played was Siege and I didn't bother to read the rules. But my intuition kicked in, I saw the objective points, and naturally I headed there to see what was up. The only problems I could see was figuring out how to dump your EU at base or knowing if you are in fact IN the AA circle. It's also pretty annoying seeing people outside the AA and attacking even when there's nobody else in the AA, snipers aside of course.

At this point, this has been the moments where I wish I had a mic to shout into.

#43 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted October 31 2012 - 05:40 AM

View PostElix, on October 30 2012 - 08:31 PM, said:

Welcome to pubs, where the teams are imaginary and the (control) points don't matter.
Just like the hair on the box mech... it simply does not matter.

That said, yes, absolutely more fun when you have a team that is good, and especially if both teams are good. Even a losing effort in a tough Siege match will give you some serious XP.

Edited by DarkPulse, October 31 2012 - 05:41 AM.

Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#44 noten

noten

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 05:46 AM

View PostDarkPulse, on October 31 2012 - 05:40 AM, said:

That said, yes, absolutely more fun when you have a team that is good, and especially if both teams are good. Even a losing effort in a tough Siege match will give you some serious XP.

This

Losing is fine as long as you tried, but then you get stuck with people who don't even want to bother or worse refuse to listen and help out, and then you lose even though it could've been a close game. It's like why do you even bother playing a competitive game if you're not even going to try to put some effort into winning.

#45 UjestShurly

UjestShurly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSterling Heights MI, USA

Posted October 31 2012 - 05:59 AM

A player is more likely to play as a team member when there is voice chat going on and conversely it is less likely and more difficult  for team play when there is no voice chat.

Now the question is, how many Hawken Beta Testers are playing with out the integrated voice chat_ My voice chat(VoIP) does not work and has not since the beginning of testing. Yes, it has been bugged in both phases.

So, you can see there may be a reason besides the player not knowing the game and maps for some one to not be playing as a team member.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

#46 Scrimshaw

Scrimshaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 06:06 AM

That absolutely horrendous chat box is, in my opinion, the most pregnant downside of Hawken. It makes team coordination, and communication in general nigh impossible. Who the heck thought of that design _ I was surprised to see the overall quality of the game in this stage, and I haven't encountered many of the bugs and errors that seemingly permeated CB1...All being said, that chatbox almost ruined the game for me.

Edited by Scrimshaw, October 31 2012 - 06:06 AM.

#47 noten

noten

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 06:09 AM

Yes there are valid reasons, and then there is knowingly telling your team you're going to play the way you want to play, while everyone else is trying to put some effort into teamwork, not very fair to the rest who are playing a team game mode the way it was meant to be played and rather selfish at that too.

#48 PiVoR

PiVoR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted October 31 2012 - 06:27 AM

View PostUjestShurly, on October 31 2012 - 05:59 AM, said:

A player is more likely to play as a team member when there is voice chat going on and conversely it is less likely and more difficult  for team play when there is no voice chat.

Now the question is, how many Hawken Beta Testers are playing with out the integrated voice chat_ My voice chat(VoIP) does not work and has not since the beginning of testing. Yes, it has been bugged in both phases.

So, you can see there may be a reason besides the player not knowing the game and maps for some one to not be playing as a team member.

Dunno how you but i dont like when some kiddo is yelling in my headphones, i always mute all. Good players know what to do and you dont need to babysit them, spotting and help calling buttons is enough communication.

View PostScrimshaw, on October 31 2012 - 06:06 AM, said:

That absolutely horrendous chat box is, in my opinion, the most pregnant downside of Hawken. It makes team coordination, and communication in general nigh impossible. Who the heck thought of that design _ I was surprised to see the overall quality of the game in this stage, and I haven't encountered many of the bugs and errors that seemingly permeated CB1...All being said, that chatbox almost ruined the game for me.

Its not even a chat box, more like a place holder for it, cause its not ready yet. You dont think it will look like that in final form dont you_ :P

#49 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted October 31 2012 - 06:41 AM

View Postnoten, on October 31 2012 - 05:46 AM, said:

This

Losing is fine as long as you tried, but then you get stuck with people who don't even want to bother or worse refuse to listen and help out, and then you lose even though it could've been a close game. It's like why do you even bother playing a competitive game if you're not even going to try to put some effort into winning.
Except now that the other side of the story has been told, it looks like you helped contribute to the loss just as much as the people you're accusing of playing poorly.
And given the fact you came on the forums to post about it, and did so in a manner that was not at all calm and reasonable, I wouldn't be surprised if you exaggerate events.

Also FYI, just because the game has competitive potential, doesn't mean that every match is a comp match.
Especially when it's a PUBLIC match, in a game that's still in BETA, that's just aquired tons of NEW PLAYERS.

Edited by AsianJoyKiller, October 31 2012 - 06:41 AM.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#50 QuanZen

QuanZen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Location_...My GPS isn't working

Posted October 31 2012 - 06:52 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on October 31 2012 - 06:41 AM, said:

View Postnoten, on October 31 2012 - 05:46 AM, said:

This

Except now that the other side of the story has been told, it looks like you helped contribute to the loss just as much as the people you're accusing of playing poorly.
And given the fact you came on the forums to post about it, and did so in a manner that was not at all calm and reasonable, I wouldn't be surprised if you exaggerate events.

Also FYI, just because the game has competitive potential, doesn't mean that every match is a comp match.
Especially when it's a PUBLIC match, in a game that's still in BETA, that's just aquired tons of NEW PLAYERS.
Very well said.
Posted Image

#51 FluxX

FluxX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 06:52 AM

I kind of had a similar experience. I was playing a missile capture map. Wondering why it was so hard. Perhaps the other team were playing really well. Turns out it was 8v4, and me on the team with 4. "Oh well" I said on comms, "I'll take you all on". Later, we fought back and won with 7hp left on our base! I thanked those on my team who stuck at it and did not quite out on me. :)

#52 noten

noten

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 06:58 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on October 31 2012 - 06:41 AM, said:

You're free to believe whatever you want to believe.

Also just for the record, I did not accuse anyone of playing poorly, I accused them of being selfish in a game mode that requires selfless contribution to teamwork. They're not the same thing.

Also FYI, by competitive game I simply mean, a game where one team is fighting against another team to claim a victory as in TDM, missile and siege. Just because a game is public doesn't change the fact that 2 teams are still competing against each other, hence a competitive game mode.

Edited by noten, October 31 2012 - 07:41 AM.

#53 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted October 31 2012 - 06:58 AM

You should also take into account that many players had no real idea on how to play certain game modes.

That this would explain why the guys up there have posted those new video tutorials on the forum. Thing which has been great and very cool idea as well. :D

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#54 noten

noten

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 07:13 AM

Like I said before, I have no problem with new players, Just the ones that refuse to listen even though they have no idea what they're doing. This topic is about me venting about the latter.

#55 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted October 31 2012 - 07:41 AM

Then maybe would be time for the devs to consider the implementation of a VoteKick in to Hawken. At least in these 2 game modes. And, if possible, imited votekick/s per user and always including and showing the reason of it to all pilots during the game.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#56 Commander_Pinkie_Pie

Commander_Pinkie_Pie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 08:48 AM

My question in that regard is how on earth do you know who's talking_  Whenever I hear conversations over the VoIP (I own no such headset at this time :(), I hear the voices (or eternal crackling or someone's tv/fuzzy bunny in the background), but no indicator of who's doing the talking.  No speaker or mic symbol over the any of the mechs or anything.  Some sort of identification would do wonders for coordination, especially if someone's bogged down and requesting support.

Also, how do you know who the person is that's hitting the Z button_  I hear "Support Requested" but nothing else.

Forgive me if this is yet another n00b moment.

And since I'm asking questions, I'll just throw this one in.  How do you zoom in when you're using the Slug Rifle/Shotgun (I cannot remember the names of some of these guns)_

Edited by Commander_Pinkie_Pie, October 31 2012 - 08:49 AM.

#57 Shackram

Shackram

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 08:49 AM

View PostCommander_Pinkie_Pie, on October 31 2012 - 12:15 AM, said:

Also, can you damage a battleship with a mech, specifically with a Sharpshooter and its SABOT Rifle/Shotgun combo_

You can shoot the engine hitbox.

If you have clear LOS when the battleship launches you can start hitting the engines with Slug and SABOT shots, but any weapon can damage it(except GL maybe). By myself using the sharpshooter i could take out 6-9 engines in the time it takes the battleship to cross the gap.

I've both had my team down the battleship without AA control and seen the enemy team do the same. If it's being too hard to take and keep control the AA, leave it and focus your fire on the battleship until it's down.

Edited by Shackram, October 31 2012 - 09:00 AM.

#58 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted October 31 2012 - 08:57 AM

View PostShackram, on October 31 2012 - 08:49 AM, said:

I've both had my team down the battleship without AA control and seen the enemy team do the same. If it's being too hard to take control the AA, leave it and focus your fire on the battleship until it's down.
Only problem with concentrating your fire on the battleship is that you're not doing anything about the other team. A smart team would begin to just steamroll the opposition if they started doing that. Buuuut, lots of inexperienced players and chat/voip are... not ready for prime time, yet.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#59 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted October 31 2012 - 09:05 AM

View PostElix, on October 31 2012 - 08:57 AM, said:

Only problem with concentrating your fire on the battleship is that you're not doing anything about the other team. A smart team would begin to just steamroll the opposition if they started doing that. Buuuut, lots of inexperienced players and chat/voip are... not ready for prime time, yet.
This, as well as the fact that eventually it becomes a pointless strategy as the ship increasingly spawns with more engines, and heavier defenses, like rockets and then homing rockets. Eventually it gets to a point where it's impossible to down without AA control.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#60 Lazoraz

Lazoraz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 09:05 AM

View PostCommander_Pinkie_Pie, on October 31 2012 - 08:48 AM, said:

My question in that regard is how on earth do you know who's talking_  Whenever I hear conversations over the VoIP (I own no such headset at this time :(), I hear the voices (or eternal crackling or someone's tv/fuzzy bunny in the background), but no indicator of who's doing the talking.  No speaker or mic symbol over the any of the mechs or anything.  Some sort of identification would do wonders for coordination, especially if someone's bogged down and requesting support.

Also, how do you know who the person is that's hitting the Z button_  I hear "Support Requested" but nothing else.

Forgive me if this is yet another n00b moment.

And since I'm asking questions, I'll just throw this one in.  How do you zoom in when you're using the Slug Rifle/Shotgun (I cannot remember the names of some of these guns)_

Not a noob moment, you're definately right, whenever I heard the help requested thing go off, I check my minimap and have to look for the guy, which wastes precious time. and if they are out of range of my minimap, it's even harder to find them. Voice chat it's the same deal, they need to have a notification tell us who's talking. Unless you feel like introducing yourself every game.
Ctrl-F-U

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users