HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

The new leveling curve

Game Beta

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: The leveling curve (71 member(s) have cast votes)

What sort of leveling curve do you prefer_

1. I like a linear one where each level earned takes the same amount of rounds (15 votes [21.13%])

Percentage of vote: 21.13%

2. A gradually increasing curve is my choice so the challenge increases with my skills (28 votes [39.44%])

Percentage of vote: 39.44%

3. I'm sadistic and want the last level to take twice as long to reach as the previous level. (3 votes [4.23%])

Percentage of vote: 4.23%

4. Bacon (25 votes [35.21%])

Percentage of vote: 35.21%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 hammerhead

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationQuebec City, Canada

Posted November 09 2012 - 05:36 AM

When I read they added a progressive leveling curve I was a bit disappointed because I sort of liked being able to easily calculate approximately how many games it would take to max out a hull. I haven't done enough testing to decide if the curve they've added pleases me but I can say that the drastic curve in World of Tanks was one of the reasons I stopped playing that game.

How does everyone else feel about progressively increasing level curves_ Too early to judge_

Also mmm bacon.

#2 Deu

Deu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationWhite Base

Posted November 09 2012 - 05:57 AM

The game isn't even out yet so developing an opinion about the final product now would be pointless. They are giving us a free boost so we as consumers can see how big of a difference it makes to our gameplay. Gotta keep servers up and developers fed. They also want people to be able to get to 20 to try it out since these mechs will be wiped it doesn't matter.

Posted Image

#3 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 05:59 AM

Bacon. Because the upgrades you get are locked it doesn't really make much of a difference at this point.
Posted Image

#4 Juodvarnis

Juodvarnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted November 09 2012 - 06:17 AM

Bacon, only because horse meat wasn't an option, i'd literally EAT ponies for breakfast.

Anyway, i don't like the leveling curve, but i don't hate it either.

Posted Image
*sigh*

#5 Rooslin

Rooslin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 07:23 AM

i liked the old one since i don't want to grind for too long to get this stuff because with the current system I'm just gonna max one mech then never feel like playing another one because of the grind

#6 GrimChaos

GrimChaos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 07:47 AM

View Posthammerhead, on November 09 2012 - 05:36 AM, said:

When I read they added a progressive leveling curve I was a bit disappointed because I sort of liked being able to easily calculate approximately how many games it would take to max out a hull. I haven't done enough testing to decide if the curve they've added pleases me but I can say that the drastic curve in World of Tanks was one of the reasons I stopped playing that game.

How does everyone else feel about progressively increasing level curves_ Too early to judge_

Also mmm bacon.
I can see where you're coming from, but I think if they did it that way it would be to easy to lvl up seeing as how you unlock more things and get stronger as you progress.

#7 HugeGuts

HugeGuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 07:52 AM

Anyone notice your leveling screen now has something called overflow experience for level 20 mechs_ Maybe we'll be able to transfer overflow experience to other mechs in our garage.

#8 Rooslin

Rooslin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 08:03 AM

View PostHugeGuts, on November 09 2012 - 07:52 AM, said:

Anyone notice your leveling screen now has something called overflow experience for level 20 mechs_ Maybe we'll be able to transfer overflow experience to other mechs in our garage.

if that's the overflow's use then I'm good with the current system because i can just use the berserker to level my other mechs :)

#9 Firemac

Firemac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 08:11 AM

I got to level 20 during the CBE1 but nothing happened with the overflow XP.

Also has anyone else noticed that the XP gain has been lowered. I pretty much play Siege exclusively and I could make anywhere from 6k to 8k XP in a normal game in CBE1. Now the highest I can get is 3k and that is if it is a REALLY long game.

So I guess I don't mind the level curve but give me my XP gain back. I calculated that it will take me roughly 10 games of siege to go from lvl 18 to 19.

#10 Rooslin

Rooslin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 08:42 AM

View PostFiremac, on November 09 2012 - 08:11 AM, said:

I got to level 20 during the CBE1 but nothing happened with the overflow XP.

Also has anyone else noticed that the XP gain has been lowered. I pretty much play Siege exclusively and I could make anywhere from 6k to 8k XP in a normal game in CBE1. Now the highest I can get is 3k and that is if it is a REALLY long game.

So I guess I don't mind the level curve but give me my XP gain back. I calculated that it will take me roughly 10 games of siege to go from lvl 18 to 19.

the exp gain seems to be the same for me maybe you were using a booster during that time_

#11 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 08:56 AM

I was using a booster then and it still hasn't run out. Unfortunately it seems like I'm not getting the double hawken points promised in CB2. Even with my booster still on I'm getting petty scraps for HP.
Posted Image

#12 Firemac

Firemac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 09:01 AM

No I didn't have an XP booster, unless they gave me one without telling me (which I doubt)

and even if they did, an XP boost gives double XP, but I was gaining 6k xp regularly and now Im gaining 2k regularly. So that would be triple.

#13 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 09 2012 - 12:15 PM

View Posthammerhead, on November 09 2012 - 05:36 AM, said:

You still can. The curve just means higher levels take longer.

[HawkenGame.R_LocalPlayer]
XpForLevel[0]=0
XpForLevel[1]=0
XpForLevel[2]=1220
XpForLevel[3]=2653
XpForLevel[4]=4337
XpForLevel[5]=6316
XpForLevel[6]=8641
XpForLevel[7]=11373
XpForLevel[8]=14584
XpForLevel[9]=18356
XpForLevel[10]=22789
XpForLevel[11]=27997
XpForLevel[12]=34117
XpForLevel[13]=41308
XpForLevel[14]=49757
XpForLevel[15]=59685
XpForLevel[16]=71350
XpForLevel[17]=85057
XpForLevel[18]=101162
XpForLevel[19]=120086
XpForLevel[20]=142321
XpForLevel[21]=168447
XpForLevel[22]=199146
XpForLevel[23]=235217
XpForLevel[24]=277600
XpForLevel[25]=327400

Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#14 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 09 2012 - 12:42 PM

None of the above. Linear progression and vertical progression are two things that have always bugged me when it comes to games that aren't RPGs
Let me just buy the things I want, and don't make them necessarily advantageous (IE have an equal disadvantage instead of just giving small upgrades all the time) so I can safely say I stomped people because I'm better from start to finish
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#15 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted November 09 2012 - 01:26 PM

View PostBeemann, on November 09 2012 - 12:42 PM, said:

None of the above. Linear progression and vertical progression are two things that have always bugged me when it comes to games that aren't RPGs
Let me just buy the things I want, and don't make them necessarily advantageous (IE have an equal disadvantage instead of just giving small upgrades all the time) so I can safely say I stomped people because I'm better from start to finish

This please. Just let me play the game. :)
Your friendly otter-fox hybrid abomination about town.

To pronounce my name correctly, just pretend the 't' isn't there. You can also think of it as "Freno - [sodacan opening sound]"

#16 Rooslin

Rooslin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 01:33 PM

i approve this message

edit:i would like optimizations to be like league of legends you get points as you level up your profile NOT your individual mech maybe you can spend earned mech exp on upgrades for that mech or something

Edited by Rooslin, November 09 2012 - 01:38 PM.

#17 Dingo77

Dingo77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 02:42 PM

I have a problem where i chose to play brawler, couldn't get enough xp in games, because im not so good and now im stuck with only a brawler to play. My level is 5, xp is not enough to level anytime this year. So what do i do_ Change to an assault class and win xp_

#18 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 09 2012 - 02:53 PM

View PostDingo77, on November 09 2012 - 02:42 PM, said:

I have a problem where i chose to play brawler, couldn't get enough xp in games, because im not so good and now im stuck with only a brawler to play. My level is 5, xp is not enough to level anytime this year. So what do i do_ Change to an assault class and win xp_
If you've still got at least 1030 Meteor Points, buy a different type of mech. (They're also apparently going to add a test drive sometime in the next handful of days).

If you blew them all, you pretty much need to grind out 9200 Hawken Points to buy another.

Though, if you were a CBE1 tester, they're going to be giving us more Meteor Points. We were forgotten on accident. :P
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#19 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 09 2012 - 04:06 PM

View PostRooslin, on November 09 2012 - 01:33 PM, said:

i approve this message

edit:i would like optimizations to be like league of legends you get points as you level up your profile NOT your individual mech maybe you can spend earned mech exp on upgrades for that mech or something
I'd be cool with having a skill tree that applies to all mechs. It individualizes players a little more, even if it does hurt the individuality of mechs a little.
I'd really be happier if we just got points from the get-go, either after a short "newbie server" period like what HiRez implemented in Tribes and SMITE (they did it for GA as well, but it was 30 levels instead of 6) or before your first match
I can understand why the devs would be hesitant to implement something like that though
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#20 TheMadness

TheMadness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 04:40 PM

Bacon, because my zerker is still level 20 from last time. I'll level a brawler or something and see how it's changed from the static 5000 xp per level.
My love for you is like a truck
BERSERKER

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game, Beta

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users