HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

customization

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 da_smiter

da_smiter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 01:26 PM

customization is what makes a good mech game really good like this http://youtu.be/V70QPO6VOsA because of the customization like in chrome hounds players would spend 100's of hrs just build mech's . the game was really before its time.its would be really nice to have at least 6v6 if not more like 10v10 matches.. please dont dumn down mech games anymore then they allready are... like i said before im just tryin to help you guyz out the best i can to help make hawken the best mech out there.

#2 AmericanGeezus

AmericanGeezus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 01:42 PM

I would love to see it, but I think this will be a scaled mech game has its looking like it will be released has an XBLA type game.

#3 da_smiter

da_smiter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 01:53 PM

AmericanGeezus said:

I would love to see it, but I think this will be a scaled mech game has its looking like it will be released has an XBLA type game.

dude your grammar  is horrible.... you don't even make cents

#4 VenatioDecorus

VenatioDecorus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 01:55 PM

lol forums first troll_

#5 shaken

shaken

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 02:01 PM

VenatioDecorus said:

lol forums first troll_

Man, they really do just come out of the woodwork don't they_

I mean... the guy he quoted put has instead of as... simple typo really, not necessarily cause of bad grammar.

But, back on topic.  I probably spent more time customizing my mechs in Armored Core and Front Mission than I did playing the games, so yes, I would love to see lots of customization available.

From the looks of it, though, I think the customization may not be so extensive (choosing light, medium, heavy mech and possibly weapons loadout).

#6 ApocalypeX

ApocalypeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted April 19 2011 - 02:04 PM

From their IGN interview [http://uk.pc.ign.com.../1158817p1.html]:

IGN: Can you swap in and out parts_ Are the mechs modular_

Jon Kreuzer: Currently the weapons can be swapped out. There is an upgrade system where you can put points into categories that we're still working out the final details of. We also plan to do more with visual differentiation of the mechs in the future, so expect more variety than there is in the debut trailer.

#7 Scrizati

Scrizati

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted April 19 2011 - 02:30 PM

ApocalypeX: Nice cheers for linking that.

On a related note I like this point below, good argument for not having too many weapon choices. I'm hoping visual customisation will be good though.

"This is because we don't want the best player to get even more advantage over the beginner. We want players to win by their skill and strategy and not by how much cool gear and stats they accumulated."

"Trying to slow down a mech with a tank isn't something I'd volunteer for." - Jen McQuarrie

#8 ApocalypeX

ApocalypeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted April 19 2011 - 02:35 PM

Scrizati said:

"This is because we don't want the best player to get even more advantage over the beginner. We want players to win by their skill and strategy and not by how much cool gear and stats they accumulated."
That's 1 of the reasons I prefer Halo over CoD.

#9 Spezies

Spezies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationGießen

Posted April 19 2011 - 03:09 PM

Yes its true. Skill >> equip

If its not, I wont play it for a longer time.
Greets all from Germany

#10 Dem

Dem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 04:28 PM

Spezies said:

Yes its true. Skill >> equip

http://www.dorkly.co... ... ll-vs-gear

Lol made me think of that.
But anyway, yeah I think the more customization, the better, as long as everything is balanced enough to the point where the older players arent able to abuse the newer ones all day.

#11 NaloaC

NaloaC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 04:43 PM

Basic customisation would suffice I imagine for this.

Gatling guns, rocket lauchers, missiles, flak cannons, AM cannons (what we've seen so far).

I like the idea of having a  simple loadout and fine-tuning your playstyle to get the best out of it. Such as having a gatling cannon that can shred things at close range, forcing your target to move away and get some distance, whilst you track them and smack them one with a few rounds from a 30mm AM cannon. :)

Having some visual customisation would be nice as well, clan markings, kill markings and general design changes. As much as people will call them shallow and superfluous, we still tend to like them. :D

#12 HappyApathy1

HappyApathy1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 06:17 PM

Hi there, first post  :roll:, hope its okay that I just copy and paste what I asked on facebook:

"there was an old game called Lore: Aftermath from about a year ago, great game too bad the site it was hosted on called Instant Action died taking Lore with it. In it you were able to make your own custom mechs using a very modular design. You had a choice of weapons and special equipment each with their own pros and cons and you could stick any of them on as long as you had space and didn't go over a certain weight limit, your health was based on what type of chassis you used and the ratio of armor to mobility you wanted, you could also give your mech a paint job and decorate it with decals.

Just wondering how much customization you plan to allow for players for their mechs, I really hope you don't just give players a set line up of mechs instead of letting them use their creativity to create the killer machine they want."

Having as much customization as possible is great as long as there is no "perfect/overpowered" setup IMO,

P.S. Just wanted to mention the idea that you could have a 'wardrobe' (for lack of better words) for your mechs, in it you could save a number of different paint jobs for your mech that you've made and could quickly switch between. For example you could have a 'normal' appearance and a 'clan theme' appearance that you can switch too when you wanted too.

#13 Zero

Zero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 07:43 PM

ApocalypeX said:

From their IGN interview [http://uk.pc.ign.com.../1158817p1.html]:

IGN: Can you swap in and out parts_ Are the mechs modular_

Jon Kreuzer: Currently the weapons can be swapped out. There is an upgrade system where you can put points into categories that we're still working out the final details of. We also plan to do more with visual differentiation of the mechs in the future, so expect more variety than there is in the debut trailer.

Beat me to it :)

On topic: Yes, there appears to be a limited amount of customization. Adhesive has stated that there are currently 3 Mechs, and as you'd expect, big/heavy/stompy, medium, and light/agile/fast. From the videos, there are four (I believe) shown, machine gun, rifle, sniper, rocket launcher. There also was an indication of grenades, however, whether or not there will be different types is still unknown.

#14 shaken

shaken

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 08:08 PM

Will: Do the mechs have customisable components, like weapons, armor, jetpacks, etc._

Dave Nguyen: The player can choose his weapons and there is currently an upgrade system that allows the player to choose upgrades to certain categories to match his play-style or role in a match. There are also plans to be able to customize the looks of the mechs to a certain extent. These customizations would just be cosmetics to give different looks to the mechs but would not change the mechs’ gameplay in any way.

Will: Will the game feature unlockable weapons / abilities, a la Call of Duty and Battlefield_

Dave Nguyen: We would like to feature unlockables to reward players for certain achievements. We like the idea of seeing someone in the game and having an idea of how experienced that person is just by how he looks. Like an MMO, you can tell how crazy a person is by seeing the gear they have on. Most of the unlockables would strictly be just for visuals of the mechs. We don’t want veteran players to have huge advantages over newer players. It would be very discouraging and frustrating for a new person to just jump in and get stomped on by a veteran player that has unlocked special weapons and abilities. Unlockables that would give an advantage to players would be tested thoroughly and balanced accordingly.

From [this interview].

#15 zuriku

zuriku

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 08:57 PM

It would be even more awesome if there was some kind of 'Painting ability'

Or even just to be able to stick a buttload of logos/images on the thing to make it look as colorfull as its surroundings.

I might make a more detailed future post on the advantages of this- Due to this may never be seen by hardly anyone.

I mean it'd make up for cutting out any other more drastic addition of polygons.
(That is if its a drastic addition)

#16 TMRNetShark

TMRNetShark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 09:09 PM

I think the one part of mecha games isn't about overpowered weapons... but the vast majority of balanced weapons to unlock. For instance, different types of guns that suit different types of mech players. I would love to see 20 different options of assault rifle modules while there be like 15 or so SMG or flak (close range) modules along with the sniper, rockets, artillery, etc modules.

Limited customization would only mean taking away what made mecha games great... making our mechs into our own personal mechs that are distinguishable from other people's mechs in battle.
"We use the whole bullet, that's 65% more bullet per bullet!"

#17 Zero

Zero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 09:15 PM

TMRNetShark said:

I think the one part of mecha games isn't about overpowered weapons... but the vast majority of balanced weapons to unlock. For instance, different types of guns that suit different types of mech players. I would love to see 20 different options of assault rifle modules while there be like 15 or so SMG or flak (close range) modules along with the sniper, rockets, artillery, etc modules.

Limited customization would only mean taking away what made mecha games great... making our mechs into our own personal mechs that are distinguishable from other people's mechs in battle.

The developers have stated that there will be quite a few unlockables, whether these will greatly affect gameplay or just be aesthetic is still yet unknown. I'm going to lean towards the latter as they also stated they did not wish older, more experienced players to have another hand up on newer, less experienced players in terms of skill AND weapons.

#18 TMRNetShark

TMRNetShark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 09:19 PM

Zero said:

The developers have stated that there will be quite a few unlockables, whether these will greatly affect gameplay or just be aesthetic is still yet unknown. I'm going to lean towards the latter as they also stated they did not wish older, more experienced players to have another hand up on newer, less experienced players in terms of skill AND weapons.

Psh, as long as I can tell my mech from the other guy's mech, I'm gravy. Nearly half the fun of Chromehounds and MechWarriors was customizing loadouts to be as powerful as possible while having my own unique mech.

PS. I remember the days of the Spiker... bi-pedal hound that has 6 melee spikers... run around the edge of the map and took out the enemy base undetected!

#19 Zero

Zero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 09:26 PM

I haven't played mech games in a long time (last one was like, mech warrior 2 or something like that). But from what I remember, the whole point of those games was to be a slow, stompy, walk around and shoot each other for 2 minutes sort of game. Hawken is trying to go a more fast pace, first person shooter sort of way, and I'd have to agree with them. So we'll see how it affects the customability of your mech, although I probably won't complain if there isn't a lot. Gameplay first in my opinion.

#20 TMRNetShark

TMRNetShark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 09:29 PM

Zero said:

I haven't played mech games in a long time (last one was like, mech warrior 2 or something like that). But from what I remember, the whole point of those games was to be a slow, stompy, walk around and shoot each other for 2 minutes sort of game. Hawken is trying to go a more fast pace, first person shooter sort of way, and I'd have to agree with them. So we'll see how it affects the customability of your mech, although I probably won't complain if there isn't a lot. Gameplay first in my opinion.

I like big slow mechs! From the looks of this game so far, I'm at least half happy because these mechs look big! Slow is less important and can be done away with. Gameplay is always first, but I do want to feel like I'm piloting MY mech that I had customized.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users