HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

customization

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 Zero

Zero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 09:32 PM

Yes, I do agree with you, it should be MY mech. Although depending on how the story unfolds, I may care more or less about how much of my mech it is. Hopes to some trim color customization and custom decal stuff!

#22 da_smiter

da_smiter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 01:01 AM

TMRNetShark said:

Zero said:

The developers have stated that there will be quite a few unlockables, whether these will greatly affect gameplay or just be aesthetic is still yet unknown. I'm going to lean towards the latter as they also stated they did not wish older, more experienced players to have another hand up on newer, less experienced players in terms of skill AND weapons.

Psh, as long as I can tell my mech from the other guy's mech, I'm gravy. Nearly half the fun of Chromehounds and MechWarriors was customizing loadouts to be as powerful as possible while having my own unique mech.

PS. I remember the days of the Spiker... bi-pedal hound that has 6 melee spikers... run around the edge of the map and took out the enemy base undetected!

i played chrome hounds a lot  and the best part of the game was killing the other hound not droping the base  lol base basher lol    but yea i hope this game can be the next CHROME HOUNDS .......

#23 Joeingo

Joeingo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 07:15 AM

Hi, first post.

In my opinion I would love a lot of customization, I'm really hoping for the customization style Armored Core had, like body parts, weapons, generators, targeting systems, paint, logos etc. but I know that would be hard to balance in a way for new players to not be raped.  If there is an in depth paint and logo creator I would be very happy though.  But please put in customizable body parts, even if they are just for aesthetics, I want to make my mech mine and have it stand out.

#24 Zero

Zero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 07:18 AM

^This

So long as most of the customization is just aesthetic, then we'll probably see it.

#25 PunchItInDaFace

PunchItInDaFace

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 05:19 PM

OK, Customization. Lets see. .............I don't want to over state whats been said already ,but it's hard not too. Yes, I would like personal paint jobs as well as Camo textures. Yes, There will be a small variety of mech types which is great. And having a huge amount of weapon options may kill it a bit. This game feels more like jump into the action kind of game. Kinda like Mechassault but hopefully not too dumbed down. So in conclusion, the game should have a modest amount of customization but over doing it would be bad. But the one thing I would like which Chromehounds failed to do is having a weapon affecting the mechs mobility. I don't mean just weight it's self, but like how it maneuvers.

#26 SmartAlec13

SmartAlec13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 08:47 PM

I agree with what the game developers say, that they want players to win with skill, not just better equips. Its the reason I like Halo better than CoD. But its not just a opinionated matter.

But I do support those saying they want to customize their mechs. I do not think something as in-depth as Armored Core or Chrome Hounds is needed. I liked "SLAI", which seems sort of what this game is going for, except more war and less future sport.

I found this game on stumble upon, and it looks like it will be a fun game. I will for sure get it, and I hope it gets more and more support

#27 aethernet

aethernet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Locationcyberspace

Posted April 20 2011 - 11:08 PM

One of the biggest problems I think with customization in Armored Core was that if you like to play a certain build, it had to look a certain way because the stats relate to specific parts. Sometimes the part combinations look downright weird but they can be really useful.

Instead, I think there should be internal components that effect stats, like generators and CPU's, and let the shape of the parts not effect the stats at all. Then you can have your build and you can have it look the way you want as well. Perhaps only speed and health would be the only stats effected by the size of the parts.

TLDR: Sometimes there are so many damn variables attached to parts that it defeats the aesthetic customization in the end.
mecha srw anime vg gundam vocaloid touhou programming etc

#28 HappyApathy1

HappyApathy1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 12:00 AM

The more customization the better IMO, just as long as everything is balanced and there is no such thing as the 'perfect' setup.

#29 IV Lucidity

IV Lucidity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 12:09 PM

I think we'd all love to see some really in depth customization available to us. If you ask me, and I don't mean to sound extremely corny about this; but the mech is essentially an extension of youself. So making it more 'personal' would be nice.
I come from The Flood.

#30 Joeingo

Joeingo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 03:14 PM

Aether is right about AC, the good set-ups did look weird, and yea there were sometimes too many stats.

Honestly I would be fine with weapons being the only performance affecting parts but aesthetically I really want more than just paint and logos.

Thinking more on it, I think that Halo: Reach type of customization system would be ideal for this game, and could make mostly everyone happy, everyones character looks different but the playing field is still level.

#31 Dahdah

Dahdah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Smokies

Posted April 21 2011 - 03:47 PM

Other than the squad-based play, the best part of Chromehounds was the customization. It was more than just pop off an AR and replace with a cannon. You had energy budgets, heat budgets, weight budgets, not mention the weapons all had pluses & minuses. Everything from reload to recoil had to be taken into account to max out your build. It was very confusing for newbies, but that was another plus for joining a squad.

Hawken may not get to that same level of custo, but it would be nice to see somehting that takes more thought than plug 'A' into 'B' and go kill ''em.

#32 IV Lucidity

IV Lucidity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 04:37 PM

Another thing I'd like to see is HUD customization. What I mean is, to customize the interior of your mech.
I come from The Flood.

#33 lavalamp1138

lavalamp1138

Squadron Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 04:41 PM

IV Lucidity said:

Another thing I'd like to see is HUD customization. What I mean is, to customize the interior of your mech.
Like... hanging a plastic hula-dancer doll over the rear-view mirror_ ;)

#34 IV Lucidity

IV Lucidity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 04:44 PM

lavalamp1138 said:

IV Lucidity said:

Like... hanging a plastic hula-dancer doll over the rear-view mirror_ ;)
Haha, yeah something like that. For instance, if you get a 10 kill streak or whatever you get a new accessory akin to the plastic hula-dancer.

I was more leaning toward like the color of it all. Example, purple LED's or something  :_
I come from The Flood.

#35 aethernet

aethernet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Locationcyberspace

Posted April 21 2011 - 10:41 PM

The license plate said fresh and there was dice in the mirror_
mecha srw anime vg gundam vocaloid touhou programming etc

#36 3leggedFreak

3leggedFreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted April 22 2011 - 06:43 AM

I'm not against aesthetic customization, but to me it's just a gimmic. I rather see the small dev team spend their time working on solid gameplay mechanics and a fine tuned, interesting movement system. Having fancy pants on my mech doesn't help me stay alive when someone shoots at me. :D

#37 Mech Mechanic

Mech Mechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 09:44 AM

I agree with the guy above my post.

The customization should only be focused on the game play like weapons, load outs, radars, thrusters, shield armor plates, attachments and so on.

I like the way mechs are. Aesthetics customization is just cosmetics. The theme of this game feels like District Nine and Blade Runner. Mechs are supposed to look oxidized, old, wrecked, and grayish.

#38 Irrelevant

Irrelevant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 12:28 PM

Hmm, a combination of painting/adding decals to your mech, as well as things like the hula-hop dancer and customizing your HUD would work.(for team games an icon or team colored light emanting from the front and back of the mech would help with identification)
I dont mind customizing weapons, but modifying chasis might be problem if you cant tell at first glance what type of mech it is and therefore what strategy to use against it(a big mech moving very fast for example)

#39 Porcupine

Porcupine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted April 24 2011 - 06:25 AM

Aesthetic customization is great, makes your stuff unique and recognizable as your own. But in this game I think it should be kept within the overall game look and design. I wouldn't want to see pink mechas running around. But some stuff like decals, stencils, stickers and other cosmetic accessories for your mechas would be nice.

IV Lucidity said:

Yes, cockpit customization would be awesome.

#40 X001

X001

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted April 24 2011 - 01:50 PM

Agreed, some weapons/attachment loadouts need to be customizable to prevent this from becoming a simple arcade game that you'd get tired of playing after an hour.

Cockpit and HUD customization is totally unnecessary. Like others have said on this forum, with a small dev team they need to focus on making and polishing great gameplay. A dashboard bobble-head doesn't affect gameplay at all, it would probably even be distracting.

Also, I think we all want to play this game sooner than later...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users