HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

customization

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 lavalamp1138

lavalamp1138

Squadron Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted April 24 2011 - 04:54 PM

doktor said:

A dashboard bobble-head doesn't affect gameplay at all, it would probably even be distracting.
I was only joking about the plastic hula-dancer :lol:. Besides, everyone knows that fuzzy dice are the way to go ;).

#42 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted April 25 2011 - 02:39 PM

Anyway, I'd be cool with just visual customizations, indeed!!. :D

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#43 X001

X001

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 07:38 AM

Ha, I know lava, it was a good joke, that's why it stuck. I purposely said "bobble-head" instead of hula-dancer 'cause I didn't mean to reference you directly. I think your hula comment really captured the idea of non-essential aesthetic customization.

And for the record, I'd be excited to see any type of customization, the more the better. As long as it doesn't delay the game release or sacrifice gameplay.

#44 vesper1

vesper1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 02:10 PM

Customization should be cool as long as it doesn't break the game balance in any way. So skins/camo, extra sounds, custom object maps - cool if easy to implement. New weapons, devices and mech abilities_ Probably not so much, unless there's some setting that allows me to turn them off and play only with 'vanilla' settings.
Recruiting to the Bad Luck XIII Hawken Clan - interested_ Send me a PM.
[almost there...] http://hawkenwiki.net/ (all hail Ashfire908)

#45 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted April 26 2011 - 02:56 PM

Camo, camo, camo... indeed.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#46 Dahdah

Dahdah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Smokies

Posted April 26 2011 - 04:16 PM

The_Silencer said:

Camo, camo, camo... indeed.

If I may, make those 'custom' camo's, sir. If this does end up being more squad based, its nice to be able to tell the rabbits from the wolves. Plus, you get style points for crushing your enemies while outfitted in pink and black tiger stripes  :lol:

#47 NoamFer

NoamFer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationJerusalem, Israel.

Posted April 28 2011 - 08:04 AM

I thought that sticking a painted sign of your choice on your mech would be cool, a sign you can upload from your computer or choose from the game. Another really minor feature I thought would be cool, is having the option to stick a flag on your mech and be able to put an image of your choice on it.
★★★★★

#48 JackDandy

JackDandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted April 28 2011 - 09:10 AM

I'd love to see stuff to costumize the inside of your cockpit as well.
Fuzzy dice, bobbleheads, it's all good.

I actually had a little idea.. An in-game MP3 player. You could load music of your own into the game.
And if the mech takes too much damage, the music stutters and you'd have a special button you need to press to see your guy slamming the player with his fist to make it work again. :lol:
I guess it would be a little too useless to implement, but a guy can dream!  :cry:

#49 Arsonade

Arsonade

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted April 30 2011 - 09:01 AM

Alright, first post here.
Probably going to be restating a lot for what's been said, but customization is, in my eyes, what allows for a game like this to be of real long term interest. Personaly, I would be more than happy with a MechWarrior 4 level of customization, if that. Just enough so that when you're on the map, and you see another guy with your chassis, it gets personal. Now that's a lot of balancing, and it might make things tricky for new players, but I think it gives the game depth and strategy. I still play MW4 (I know, me and 4 other guys on the planet), and I can't say that about any other game from growing up.
At any rate, it looks like an amazing game, Adhesive could release the game-play demo and I'd probably pay for it, but for me, and others it seems, customization is going to be what makes you keep coming back to that gameplay.

-Adam

#50 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted April 30 2011 - 10:13 AM

Jack Dandy said:

I'd love to see stuff to costumize the inside of your cockpit as well.
Fuzzy dice, bobbleheads, it's all good.

Hahah, yeah.. a la Dirt 2 game!. ( Unlockables ) :D

Posted Image

#51 SickDownlink

SickDownlink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted May 07 2011 - 12:15 AM

The customization of performance parts of your mech is the most enjoyable part of mech games imo. i could see this game becoming a huge hit if the competitive gamer scene noticed this game. But a lot of strategy potential would be lost if  an extensive part customization was not implemented. The developers said they want skill to rule not equipment, they just need to have the parts balanced and available to all players from the first play. this would add a lot of skill in designing the best mech for your play-style, while not making it require any grinding.

BTW, i am an armored core fan.. so i am probably biased towards the whole customization thing. :)
10000100010010010011101000101000 : SickDownlink
Posted Image

#52 Ulysses

Ulysses

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted May 08 2011 - 08:05 AM

I hardly think customisation has anything to do with it getting picked up by professional gaming. In fact I would argue almost exclusively against that idea since customisation only brings more venues for imbalance which would hurt its competitiveness. Some of the most competitive games out there are RTS, and the simple ones at that.

Probably the most competitive games are ones like starcraft or starcraft 2 where there are only three races and no personal customisation. Its about scouting, countering and having superior mechanics which none have much to do with customisation. Same thing with games like CS where nothing really counters anything. You simply buy what you can afford and what you personally are good with. Just because you cant put a scope on an AK or a silencer on a sniper rifle doesnt mean its not competitive.

Considering that this is a vertical movement game as well I see a lot of strategical venues for this game about controlling high ground, knowing where your enemy is and being able to make the most cost efficient strategies and rewarding risk or allowing players to penalise you for it. This would all be possible with only one weapon. Customisation is nice, but it isnt vital. I want to be able to have variety in gameplay as much as the next person, but core mechanics and solid game design are more important things.

#53 DarkS7ar

DarkS7ar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 13 2011 - 12:17 AM

lavalamp1138 said:

doktor said:

A dashboard bobble-head doesn't affect gameplay at all, it would probably even be distracting.
I was only joking about the plastic hula-dancer :lol:. Besides, everyone knows that fuzzy dice are the way to go ;).

Fuzzy Dice FTW!!!
Above the sky, beneath the stars.
Is where I soar, and your world is no more.

http://i306.photobuc...597d4c3e0b5.jpg
^Queen of sniping.

DESTROY   Cupcake!

#54 Aeonite

Aeonite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted September 28 2011 - 01:13 AM

THE MORE CUSTOMISATION THE BETTER!

However I'm not expecting anything near what my dream game would have, (think CHx10), as some limitation can improve control over game balance (I did love the evolution of Raptors in CH though), but certainly a choice of heavy armour over speed (like R6 Vegas) with plenty of colour/aesthetic choices (Forza) custom decals...

Most important I think is the customization of weapons choices, shall I take some really bad ass sniper cannons, or some machine guns with a few mortars, will my mechs weight allow for an infra red sensor on their or an improved radar_ Will I run out of fuel before the time is up...

The amount of customisation just makes the game for me as I love tactical games and in directly increases the amount of tactics in game - I love nothing better than realising I have the wrong mech to fight my opponent and yet I still pull out the win!

#55 DKayConqueror

DKayConqueror

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted December 23 2011 - 09:18 PM

Something I wouldn't mind to see is customization after the full release. Being a small studio I would understand if there wasn't much on the side of customization right away, but I think after the release, when the group has more resources, the customization can be added via patch or DLC.

#56 Reminascent

Reminascent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted January 13 2012 - 04:45 PM

I took a glimpse of the discussion and I must say I am completely for Customization. I would like to use this post to gather all relevant points I`ve thought of.

1) As many customization options as possible
2) All parts available from the start
3) Weight affects speed
4) Weapon recoil affects movement
5) Boosters determine maneuvering capabilities
6) Legs determine maximum weight and jump capabilities
7) Cores determine energy output
8) Energy is drained by boosters and weapons which do not use live ammo, but is also replenished, unlike health
9) You can have a weapon on your left and right arm or shoulder and on your back
10) Weapon overheating
11) Ability to use more than one weapon at a time

#57 AscendantWyvern

AscendantWyvern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted April 16 2012 - 07:28 AM

The simplest solution to balance issues brought out by full on customization is to make it visual only, and the only true things that affect stats are stuff such as armor, or weapons, or boosters. Things like the legs, body, and cockpit should be capable of modifying without affecting the performance of the mech.

Or they could set it up like Rainbow Six and have more armor means less mobility.

#58 ChemicalX

ChemicalX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSnowmass Village, CO

Posted April 16 2012 - 01:32 PM

I would LOVE to see some serious customization! I would love two types. Maybe a randomize or quick play with standard mechs available to play and also a customization mode where you could spend 3 hours on nothing but customizing your mech! I for one would spend several hours making my mech without hesitation!

#59 Rinying

Rinying

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Locationbehind you........

Posted July 13 2012 - 10:18 PM

definitely would be a VERY nice addition to this game to have serious customization. i have played AC-4, and i love the customization in it. for fun i had a pure blue energy ac, at where is was extremely quick, used energy weapons, and had an oversided generator while it being entirely blue. also, i know of a lot of things i would love to put on my mechs, simply for the ability to look at it and say "yep, its epic to me  :lol: " and also to stand out. customization in a gameplay style would be amazing to have, but i would want to insist this doesn't turn into a p2w game. PLEASE, if you implement modules similar to WoT does and armored core does, chromehound does, etc... make sure you let all players have them. paying customers should only have minor, to mediocre advantages in the field when fighting. like in wot you can pay for a few gold shells, which will be used up after firing but only alter the amount of penetration your shells have. not their damage, and i have killed plenty of people who had though it was p2w with me being a froobie.  but i would love to have the ability to make my mech stand out in any way possible :)

#60 okill100

okill100

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted July 22 2012 - 06:59 PM

Colors, Colors, and more Colors!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users