HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Sharpshooters... Sharpshooters EVERYWHERE

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Dark_Horse

Dark_Horse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 03:07 PM

It's funny, I always play as Sharpshooter, but I've never felt myself to be overpowered. Perhaps that's just the nature of being OP: those who are OP always deny it so that they can maintain their OPness.

But that aside, I'll tell you, if you're losing consistently to Sharpshooters, you aren't playing right. I'll tell you a story to illustrate:

I was playing a typical DM game against all assault, some class C mechs. I would set up a turret, then put up my hologram in front of the turret as bait, then fly someplace high where I could see anyone trying to shoot the hologram. It was easy pickings.

And then a dev joined our game, and I got my ass handed to me.

I mean really, I couldn't even hit the guy. From long range he dodged in and out of cover to make up the disance to me. He never left himself out in the open for more than a second. He covered the distance to me in just a few seconds, at which point I tried to unload on him. Of course he took a few hits from my Sabot, but it didn't matter, he was just too fast. He completely destroyed me.

Each time I respawned, I tried a different tactic. I might have won some rounds on a lucky shot, or if the dev was already damaged, but 1v1, no matter what the distance between us was, he would just annihilate me.

So, TL;DR_

Either you just plain get better the more you play
or
Nerf infiltrators.

#42 phertiker

phertiker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 04:45 PM

View Postdefekt, on November 10 2012 - 05:44 AM, said:

Two hitscan weapons that dish out 'no risk' (cf. self splash) front-loaded damage that also retain full DPS at all ranges, for an fps game that isn't set in a series of tiny rooms, will always be maximally impactful.

You sure the sabot is hitscan_ Sure looks like a projectile to me, or is that just a feel-good simulation_

In any case, snipers are always the hated class in every game. Any time you can simply click -> kill at range you infuriate people. Hell, at least in Hawken they can't one-shot-kill (yet_). I feel like the worst I've ever gotten is finished off by a pansy sniper's sabot after his buddy did all the hard work.

** Oh yeah, and also in Hawken you have Epic fuzzy bunny Loads of Cover. Seriously, it's awfully easy to remove yourself from a sniper's view.

Edited by phertiker, November 10 2012 - 04:47 PM.

#43 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 10 2012 - 05:16 PM

AFAIK they are both hitscan.
TBH I havent run into many matches with sharpshooter heavy teams, and the few that I have run into were steamrolls against said teams
I play primarily Siege and Missile though, so YMMV
I see the same complaints about Sharpshooter all the time, and I feel that it's primarily an issue of experience
Same goes for the hate on Assaults, unintended Vulcan aside

Edited by Beemann, November 10 2012 - 05:16 PM.

Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#44 JustJake

JustJake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 06:30 PM

One of the issues with snipers in any game is that they feel really rewarding to play. Getting a kill with a slow-firing, high precision weapon makes me feel skillful as fuzzy bunny. My brain goes, "Wow good job look at you!" and releases the feels-good.

This is why every kid in CS wants a deagle and an AWP.

Posted Image

#45 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 06:58 PM

View PostJustJake, on November 10 2012 - 06:30 PM, said:

This is why every kid in CS wants a deagle and an AWP.
No, the deagle and AWP are just ridiculously good.

I can understand why somebody would want to play a sniper in Hawken. They don't like being MVP, they like winning games. The sniper, like the brawler, excels in team based game modes where coordination matters.

Now I play pure DM when I'm not with RWM so I almost never see sharpshooters. If I do I laugh and murder them repeatedly.

And honestly I don't think the sniper should need to scope in to get good aim. The scope is just a camera zoom. The gun on the mech should be stable at all times because it's mounted to a giant mass of metal.

#46 Devildoc

Devildoc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 07:08 PM

View PostIceTonic, on November 10 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

I'm actually surprised there aren't more Berserkers, considering its basically a lighter Assault mech with weapon damage instead of coolant. You'd think it would be more popular because of the DPS it can dish out. I still don't see many Sharpshooters, mostly in Sahara but that's a given. They don't do very well close-up unless they're very experienced and have SA Hawkins as a primary.

View PostDevildoc, on November 10 2012 - 12:07 PM, said:

One thing that comes to mind is noscope sabot rifle shots should ALWAYS miss, even point blank.  That'd create a necessary weakness for them to close and personal mechs like infiltrator and brawler.

I don't think this is necessary. It should not always miss, but it should still be very inaccurate when you don't use the weapon utility for it. You should never get up into a mech's face, at least then it would still be difficult for a Sharpshooter to land a hit. Could it be less accurate_ Maybe, if you were lets say 1-2 mechs away you deserve to be hit by the Sabot.

Kinda like how one would deserve suicides if they fire Grenade/TOW/Hellfire at point-blank on low Armor. Its a terrible idea, unless you know what you're doing, in which you'd probably avoid that situation if you did.

If you're a brawler, you're supposed to want to get in a sharpshooter's face.  But when they can pointblank noscope sabot you, that turns out not to be as good of an idea.  Basically you can only hope to take out a sharpshooter as a brawler if you're at 100% armor.

SA Hawkins.. well... let's say that it's good if you're a bad shot, because at least you'll probably get SOME hits, and do some damage.. or you're an AMAZING shot and land everything and the higher dps  pays off.

If you're somewhere in between.. good enough to land that 1 shot pretty successfully but not good enough to land every shot of a hawkins.. Slug rifle is better.

#47 IceTonic

IceTonic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 07:38 PM

I'm pretty sure a Flak Cannon toting Brawler would want to get up close to a Sharpshooter, I agree, but not metal-pecks-touching close. You want to get close enough to do damage with both weapons, but at the same time far enough to be weary that the enemy has a secondary you want to at least have a chance at avoiding. Its not like you're trying to melee, you're trying to safely dish out your TOW and Flak (or Hawkins) without putting yourself at unnecessary risks.

Then again a Brawler (or any mech) wouldn't have a fun time in general if the Sharpshooter found it first.

Edited by IceTonic, November 10 2012 - 07:39 PM.

#48 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 10:08 AM

View PostIceTonic, on November 10 2012 - 07:38 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure a Flak Cannon toting Brawler would want to get up close to a Sharpshooter, I agree, but not metal-pecks-touching close. You want to get close enough to do damage with both weapons, but at the same time far enough to be weary that the enemy has a secondary you want to at least have a chance at avoiding. Its not like you're trying to melee, you're trying to safely dish out your TOW and Flak (or Hawkins) without putting yourself at unnecessary risks.

Then again a Brawler (or any mech) wouldn't have a fun time in general if the Sharpshooter found it first.
The key is to not be so close that the SS doesn't need to zoom to aim.  But even if that close, the flak cannon will still destroy a SS when used properly

View Postphertiker, on November 10 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

View Postdefekt, on November 10 2012 - 05:44 AM, said:

Two hitscan weapons that dish out 'no risk' (cf. self splash) front-loaded damage that also retain full DPS at all ranges, for an fps game that isn't set in a series of tiny rooms, will always be maximally impactful.

In any case, snipers are always the hated class in every game. Any time you can simply click -> kill at range you infuriate people. Hell, at least in Hawken they can't one-shot-kill (yet_). I feel like the worst I've ever gotten is finished off by a pansy sniper's sabot after his buddy did all the hard work.

I've had just as many kill steals (if not more) as an assault or infiltrator as I have with sharpshooter.  Really makes me lol when people cry about snipers just ks'ing all day

True story:  I was in a game yesterday (as a sharpshooter), and some poor ol chap was bitchin about it.  So I told him to own me with a SS, he couldn't even keep a + KD.  lol.

Edited by RedVan, November 11 2012 - 10:24 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users