HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Being outside of the mech as Human.

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

Poll: How important is this feature to you_ (960 member(s) have cast votes)

How important is this feature to you_

1. IT'S NECESSARY (44 votes [4.68%])

Percentage of vote: 4.68%

2. It would be freakin' awesome! (356 votes [37.87%])

Percentage of vote: 37.87%

3. I could go without it. (237 votes [25.21%])

Percentage of vote: 25.21%

4. Don't care. (86 votes [9.15%])

Percentage of vote: 9.15%

5. Do Not Want. (217 votes [23.09%])

Percentage of vote: 23.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 zuriku

zuriku

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 09:13 PM

A while back i had sent the adhesive team a message about the ability of being able to walk as a human outside of the mech.

What i pretty much asked is the ability to walk, and jetpack around the map- Even without being in some kind of multiplayer mode. It would just be incredible to see it from our view point.

Posted Image

This is pretty much what i got in response.

---

Hello,

I'm one of the founders of Adhesive Games, working on Hawken.  Thanks for your interest in our project!  We appreciate your feedback, and are happy with the positive response we've received for our trailer.

As you noticed in the concept art, our original plan was to include pilots that could exit/enter the mechs.  Currently we haven't implemented this feature due to the small amount of manpower and development time we have.  We will try very hard to include this before the release, but at the moment our focus is on making the FPS Mech gameplay completely solid and enjoyable.

I really do hope that we are able to include your suggestions in the near future, we'll try our best so stay tuned for more updates and videos!

Thanks again,

Chris
Adhesive Games

------------

(edit, I added another option to the polls which erased all of the previous votes, This is what it looked like before i added the "Do Not Want" option)
Posted Image

#2 TMRNetShark

TMRNetShark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 09:15 PM

If it's a Chromehound's type of thing where the dead team makes can goof off until the next round, than yeah. Other than that, I see no real point to it.
"We use the whole bullet, that's 65% more bullet per bullet!"

#3 Zero

Zero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 09:18 PM

Somehow I don't see this happening, at least not it a major way. It would be useless in gameplay as what people do you know could withstand a 20-30 feet tall mech with machine guns and rocket launchers. If you want to explore then the mechs are much more useful, from my understanding, they ALL have jetpacks. I'm not saying no, but this is a mech combat game and I would rather them prioritize mech combat over, get out of mech, look around, be done with it.

#4 zuriku

zuriku

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 09:19 PM

TMRNetShark said:

If it's a Chromehound's type of thing where the dead team makes can goof off until the next round, than yeah. Other than that, I see no real point to it.

Hoyl Crop, i've never played Chromehound, I've just done a quick research on youtube and its going to be my next rent, For some reason i had no idea this game existed.

#5 TMRNetShark

TMRNetShark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 09:22 PM

zuriku said:

TMRNetShark said:

Hoyl Crop, i've never played Chromehound, I've just done a quick research on youtube and its going to be my next rent, For some reason i had no idea this game existed.

Back when it was released, the online part of the game was the best part of the game. Clan system was great, there was factional warfare between EVERYONE who owned the game, and hundreds of loadouts, if not thousands. Sadly, From Software is shutting down the servers in Oct 2011... this is why I want this game to be released to get my mecha fix :D
"We use the whole bullet, that's 65% more bullet per bullet!"

#6 Provi

Provi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 10:16 PM

Sure it could be useful for machinima making, but it shouldn't be a priority for such a small team.

I'd rather have them focused on making the game as fun as possible at the moment.

#7 Pawken

Pawken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 10:42 PM

Just made a topic about pretty much the same thing without seeing this one so yeah defs want exit-able mechs haha
Posted Image

#8 Zomnivore

Zomnivore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 11:01 PM

I thought it was interesting in one of the new mechwarrior games, but I didn't think it was necessary.

In the end it forced a type of ruin mech/trash it / pick up another type stuff that I didn't like. The annoying chase for the pilot dodging around, when you've already done the work on his mech etc. stealing the "good" mechs.

I would like an escape pod or w/e which takes timing, ruins your mech/ explodes but your respawn timer is reduced...

#9 ShamblerBishop

ShamblerBishop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 11:14 PM

It could be expanded into some interesting gameplay mechanics, as so:
1: When your health reaches a particularly low point (<10%) you could have the option to eject from the mech, with a jetpack, and try to fly off.

2: (separate from above) To repair your mech, you could be forced to exit it and spend a small amount of time working on it externally; you (and your mech) would be completely vulnerable during this time

3: Any mech-less players who escaped earlier, could try to discreetly tail damaged mechs, and hijack them by dropping into them as their owner repairs them (a bit like UT in a way, when repairing vehicles with the link gun)

#10 Pawken

Pawken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 11:28 PM

Zomnivore said:

I thought it was interesting in one of the new mechwarrior games, but I didn't think it was necessary.

In the end it forced a type of ruin mech/trash it / pick up another type stuff that I didn't like. The annoying chase for the pilot dodging around, when you've already done the work on his mech etc. stealing the "good" mechs.

I would like an escape pod or w/e which takes timing, ruins your mech/ explodes but your respawn timer is reduced...

Hmmm good point, Yeah maybe I could live with out it or maybe if they had a game type option that was like "locked mechs"
Posted Image

#11 lavalamp1138

lavalamp1138

Squadron Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 03:49 AM

It's an interesting mechanic, but I'm not sure if I'd prefer it over the option to spectate other players. In game modes that handle respawns with limitations, I want to maintain my focus on the match, even after I've been eliminated completely.

#12 Shivmoo

Shivmoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 03:56 AM

Not really bothered about floating round as a lil human. I looked into this game because of the awesome looking mech combat, not because i could be a man with a jetpack as well.
They would have to be able to bring something to the fight. or be part of a game type, like survival where you have a set number of lives and can eject from mech whenever to hide around till a new mech appears somewhere... saving yourself from loss of life on mech go boom boom.

#13 Kenju

Kenju

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 02:31 PM

I'm going to play this game for the Mech's. If I wanted to walk around as a person I'll go play some Battlefield or something.   :mrgreen:

#14 aethernet

aethernet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Locationcyberspace

Posted April 20 2011 - 10:45 PM

@Shambler

Another thing is that if 2 people get out of their mechs, then you could possibly exchange mechs.

As long as the game does not force you to hunt down tiny humans, then I don't see any reason against including humans, other than development priority (->Hawken Mech Combat FPS).
mecha srw anime vg gundam vocaloid touhou programming etc

#15 Derpus

Derpus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 12:56 AM

I say add the ability to go out of mech post-release, and focus on the core game right now.

#16 JackDandy

JackDandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted April 21 2011 - 05:09 AM

I really won't mind either way.

In the end, this is a mech-focused game, and I want the devs to make sure it feels like one.

God knows we have enough "human" FPS around..

#17 Superjudge

Superjudge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 07:02 AM

Years ago I playtested a UT2K4 total conversion called Counter Organic Revolution.  Amidst the transforming mechs and heavy weapons in that one, the game also featured pilots being able to exit the vehicle.  This was incorporated into certain maps where it was necessary for the pilots to leave their CMR (Cybernetic Morphing Robot) to enter a vital structure with openings too small for the vehicle to enter.  The pilots were equipped with minimal weaponry and did engage in combat with other pilots while trying to accomplish some task that was vital to the overall mission.

The other feature it had for pilots was the ability to hack another player's CMR in an effort to hijack it.  Once you made contact with another CMR, a metagame ensued for control.  If the current owner was successful, the hacking mechanism was disabled for a short time.  If the aggressor was successful he became the new owner.

One thing that I would not want to see is the inclusion of weapons that make pilots super effective against the mechs.  Maybe a 1 or 2-shot rocket system would be fine as long as the pilot taking any damage from the mech would be instant death.
Posted Image

#18 Hot Rod

Hot Rod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 10:51 AM

I agree like some others have said to use it like a ghost cam after your mech is destroyed. Maybe have an ejection animation when you reach zero health. It would definitely make you appreciate the size and power of the mechs and add that little touch of detail to what I can tell already is going to be an awesome game.

#19 Lev_Astov

Lev_Astov

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 11:28 AM

Being outside the mech would be quite cool.  I am in love with the Battlefield series of games for this same feature.  However, I am afraid of the concessions this would necessitate to make it a feasible tactic.

In the case of the Battlefield games, infantry tends to be far too capable of inflicting harm on the armor of the game (C4!) for obvious reasons of playability and balance.  In a world of large mechs wielding arms and fancy weapons, infantry would most certainly pose no threat to these machines.  Any alterations to the contrary would inflict great harm to the feeling of power such a machine bestows.

If Adhesive Games finds some clever and interesting way to implement pilots exiting their craft, I will not balk at it, but I would rather they not waste too much effort on it.

#20 IV Lucidity

IV Lucidity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 11:53 AM

TMRNetShark said:

Definitely. It'd be abused if you could hop in and out at will. Your mates would ditch their mechs, and go play tag while you're left to kill the enemy team; no thanks.
I come from The Flood.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users