HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Being outside of the mech as Human.

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

Poll: How important is this feature to you_ (960 member(s) have cast votes)

How important is this feature to you_

1. IT'S NECESSARY (44 votes [4.68%])

Percentage of vote: 4.68%

2. It would be freakin' awesome! (356 votes [37.87%])

Percentage of vote: 37.87%

3. I could go without it. (237 votes [25.21%])

Percentage of vote: 25.21%

4. Don't care. (86 votes [9.15%])

Percentage of vote: 9.15%

5. Do Not Want. (217 votes [23.09%])

Percentage of vote: 23.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Goblinoid

Goblinoid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 01:38 PM

I like this concept a lot; it would give a great sense of scale and immersion to the experience. However I'm unsure of the gameplay ramifications/functionality. I do like Superjudge and Shiv's ideas, and I think that you should only be effective vs. other pilots when out of your mech.

It'd be nice to see your little pilot hop out and start hammering/welding your mech during the "repair mech" animation, even if you can't actually roam outside the mech.

If this is implemented, I hope that A. the pilots are ambiguously human (the OP pic seems appropriate) and B. mechs will be able to squish pilots.

#22 Zomnivore

Zomnivore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 12:21 PM

You also have to remember that the details in this game aren't that great the closer your eye is to them (not knocking it, it still looks great saves on memory) the size of the textures etc.. probably doesn't make small escaping pilots a likely choice for the devs.

#23 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted April 23 2011 - 07:01 AM

What Zero has said already. Who want to play as human if you can play into a mecha_
Although it could hopefully open some few interesting multiplayer modes as for example humans vs 1 or 2 mechas.

Nevertheless, I do not think this would be of any great value for the final first release of this game.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#24 Mech Mechanic

Mech Mechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 08:20 AM

That's not the objective of the game. It's a big detour. That maybe come later but now what matters is the game purpose. If the purpose is fulfilled then they could move on those details. Now there's no use for that type of game play. Besides a human is nothing against those behemoths.

#25 Flyingdebris

Flyingdebris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 24 2011 - 08:44 AM

In MWLL, one of the gameplay abstractions that was made to have any number of battlearmor contributing to a fight at all was to have players ejecting out of vehicles in battlearmor.

However, i don't think thats the best direction for hawken.  I mean, if you can eject at all, there'd have to be some sort of point to doing it.  There'd have to be some sort of advantage to not simply respawning, otherwise why include it as an ability_  If there is a point to exiting, it'd have to be good enough to offset the fact that you are not already in a new mech, ready to fight again.  Which leads to the problem of dangerous pilots. i.e. making them useful outside of their mechs.  I've already seen that happen enough times, done it myself too, in MWLL, of bailing out of a mech in a close pitched fight and finishing off the badly damaged "winner."  At the least its downright annoying having to run around on foot when you want to get back in a mech, and annoying having to hunt down that person.
Mech time all the time

#26 HitmonInfinity

HitmonInfinity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted April 28 2011 - 09:24 AM

I haven't really been keeping up with this thread, but this concept could be very cool for a game like this.  

I imagine your mech would get disabled to point of ejecting the pilot, and you have to scramble to a new mech station or something before getting shot down.  That would be pretty exhilarating.

#27 JackDandy

JackDandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted April 28 2011 - 09:56 AM

That's true as well. Like in Battlezone.

It's not like people would start running around on foot, as they're soft as shit and would die quickly.

#28 Mitchybape92

Mitchybape92

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted May 21 2011 - 11:11 AM

MAYBE this could have a purpose.

ok so you die in your mech.  you spawn as the astronaut guy (seen above) and you can shoot other astronaut guys on the opposing team, this could score more points for your team_

and hey maybe this could end up being a neat little thing where you could even customize the astronaut, and improve him_

i think it would be very VERY neat.  but as Indie is a smaller team, this would be difficult to put in the game which is understandable.

and i could also see this as pointless because youre most likely not going to be playing as a single pilot long enough for any of what i said above to even matter :P

but i still think it would be an interesting feature in the game no doubt :D

#29 Mitchybape92

Mitchybape92

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted May 21 2011 - 11:13 AM

Flyingdebris said:

In MWLL, one of the gameplay abstractions that was made to have any number of battlearmor contributing to a fight at all was to have players ejecting out of vehicles in battlearmor.

However, i don't think thats the best direction for hawken.  I mean, if you can eject at all, there'd have to be some sort of point to doing it.  There'd have to be some sort of advantage to not simply respawning, otherwise why include it as an ability_  If there is a point to exiting, it'd have to be good enough to offset the fact that you are not already in a new mech, ready to fight again.  Which leads to the problem of dangerous pilots. i.e. making them useful outside of their mechs.  I've already seen that happen enough times, done it myself too, in MWLL, of bailing out of a mech in a close pitched fight and finishing off the badly damaged "winner."  At the least its downright annoying having to run around on foot when you want to get back in a mech, and annoying having to hunt down that person.

exactly, ejecting would have to serve some purpose. like activating turrets_
or possibly activating other team-beneficial things.

#30 Mitchybape92

Mitchybape92

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted May 21 2011 - 11:14 AM

hitmonInfinity said:

I haven't really been keeping up with this thread, but this concept could be very cool for a game like this.  

I imagine your mech would get disabled to point of ejecting the pilot, and you have to scramble to a new mech station or something before getting shot down.  That would be pretty exhilarating.

i'd dig that :!:

#31 TheNaut131

TheNaut131

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted June 22 2011 - 09:10 AM

Well, I have an idea for that. Could the game have Mechanics_ People floating around in space-suit type clothing and repairing mechs, in the team's base_ They could be NPC's, if that would help.

#32 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted June 22 2011 - 11:30 AM

where's the option for "hell no"_

#33 innociv

innociv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted June 25 2011 - 05:00 AM

I'd rather have four wheeled vehicles and helos in addition to mechs than little men. ;o

#34 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted June 29 2011 - 02:17 PM

Although the devs have already stated on this feature is being implemented in the game already, I'd say that this is a waste of resources and time, IMO. Sorry, but it's what I do currently think. Maybe I end up loving this feature once I do play and see it at first hand in the game. :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#35 Provi

Provi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted June 29 2011 - 02:51 PM

Freecam is useful for machinima and that can build up sales momentum and the Hawken community.

I don't see the need for a literal space suit kind of guy running around unless that is tied to gameplay.

#36 MainHawkenMan

MainHawkenMan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted September 05 2011 - 04:35 PM

I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR A GAME LIKE THIS TO COME OUT FOR YEARS NOW. IN MY EYES IT IS JUST ABOUT PERFECT, BUT THE ONLY THING ITS LACKING IS THE OPTION TO ENTER AND EXIT YOUR MECHA AT ANYTIME AND WALK AROUND AND VIEW THE WORLD AS A HUMAN. THE LANDSCAPE IS TOO PERFECT JUST TOO OBSERVE INSIDE YOUR MECHA. IF THIS WAS A POSSIBLE IDEA YOU COULD REALLY GO FAR WITH THE GAME. A WORLD REVOLVED AROUND MECH'S BUT ALSO A PLACE WHERE IT DOSENT FEEL LIKE YOUR ALWAYS TRAPPED INSIDE YOUR MECH. PLEASE TAKE THIS INTO SOME THOUGHT.

#37 psych0black

psych0black

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationchozo

Posted September 05 2011 - 11:05 PM

Outside stuff would have to implement a whole other layer of game play for it to be somehow significant which would take time. Too much perhaps to efficiently make the game and vision that is Hawken at this point.

However I would definitely like to see this worked on after the games release and added on to as an update/expansion to the game.

#38 J1

J1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationDune

Posted September 06 2011 - 12:50 PM

MainHawkenMan said:

I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR A GAME LIKE THIS TO COME OUT FOR YEARS NOW. IN MY EYES IT IS JUST ABOUT PERFECT, BUT THE ONLY THING ITS LACKING IS THE OPTION TO ENTER AND EXIT YOUR MECHA AT ANYTIME AND WALK AROUND AND VIEW THE WORLD AS A HUMAN. THE LANDSCAPE IS TOO PERFECT JUST TOO OBSERVE INSIDE YOUR MECHA. IF THIS WAS A POSSIBLE IDEA YOU COULD REALLY GO FAR WITH THE GAME. A WORLD REVOLVED AROUND MECH'S BUT ALSO A PLACE WHERE IT DOSENT FEEL LIKE YOUR ALWAYS TRAPPED INSIDE YOUR MECH. PLEASE TAKE THIS INTO SOME THOUGHT.

Can we get a muzzle over here_

Anyways, if and when i die i would much rather spectate my teammates or the person who killed me to actually see if they outplayed me or got a lucky secondary on me.

Running around outside of your mech seems rediculous and adds a very non-serious element to the game if it were implemented.

I do not support.

*oh and there should be a disagree option because all of the current options are just different degrees of how much you want it lol
Posted Image

#39 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted September 08 2011 - 01:44 PM

I came here to play a Mech game.

That is all.
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

#40 Crow

Crow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted September 09 2011 - 12:51 PM

Don't wanna sound rude or offensive but why is there no "it would be stupid" option

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users