HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Being outside of the mech as Human.

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

Poll: How important is this feature to you_ (960 member(s) have cast votes)

How important is this feature to you_

1. IT'S NECESSARY (44 votes [4.68%])

Percentage of vote: 4.68%

2. It would be freakin' awesome! (356 votes [37.87%])

Percentage of vote: 37.87%

3. I could go without it. (237 votes [25.21%])

Percentage of vote: 25.21%

4. Don't care. (86 votes [9.15%])

Percentage of vote: 9.15%

5. Do Not Want. (217 votes [23.09%])

Percentage of vote: 23.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Martok

Martok

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted September 09 2011 - 09:12 PM

I think it would be pretty cool actually. I kind of envision it as like abandoning ship perhaps_ Like if you mech is really damaged, you can get out and have perhaps a comparatively really weak gun and continue shooting at the mechs. As sort of a last resort one in billion thing. Might be kind of cool.

And that is just what comes to my mind, there is a whole manner of things you could do it. Including nothing, just having it there . . .

#42 Crow

Crow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted September 10 2011 - 09:23 PM

Except that would be pointless, particularly in MP. Mechs are way too fast for you to do that and they would kill too easily when you're out. I simply do not see the point other than it just being there.

+thats quite a bit of work for the devs.

If it was a more slow paced mechwarrior like game sure but it doesn't really work here.

#43 J1

J1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationDune

Posted September 11 2011 - 12:31 PM

For like the third or fourth time, please add a "Do not want at all." option to the poll options please.

I would like to express how much i hate this idea without being rude or arguing in here.

Please.
Posted Image

#44 Crow

Crow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted September 11 2011 - 07:04 PM

I agree...the person who made this poll did not give us a choice, the options were either "yes" or "maybe/sure why not"

#45 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted September 12 2011 - 11:58 AM

J2R said:

For like the third or fourth time, please add a "Do not want at all." option to the poll options please.

I would like to express how much i hate this idea without being rude or arguing in here.

Please.

I'm not completely sure on whether the OP adds a new option to the poll, this will subsequently erase the entire poll results or not..

Lava_ :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#46 lavalamp1138

lavalamp1138

Squadron Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted September 12 2011 - 12:11 PM

The_Silencer said:

I'm not completely sure on whether the OP adds a new option to the poll, this will subsequently erase the entire poll results or not..

Lava_ :)
I do believe an OP can edit their poll without it affecting the data that has already been collected. However, Ziriku hasn't ventured to this forum since early May, so you might have to wait for a bit if you're expecting him to respond to any inquiries might have.

#47 J1

J1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationDune

Posted September 12 2011 - 12:18 PM

Wow i didn't realize the op hadn't been active... Now i sound like a jerk :(

Sorry everyone!! I respect all the opinions in here!!! Go Hawken! xD
Posted Image

#48 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted September 14 2011 - 10:48 AM

Lava said:

I do believe an OP can edit their poll without it affecting the data that has already been collected. However, Ziriku hasn't ventured to this forum since early May, so you might have to wait for a bit if you're expecting him to respond to any inquiries might have.

Cool to know. ;)

P.S. I asked because I've found several other forums in which the poll results get deleted with further modification.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#49 zuriku

zuriku

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted January 06 2012 - 01:41 AM

Wow i didn't realize that this thread blew up like it did, Ill fix the polls.

Sorry.

#50 Mech Mechanic

Mech Mechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted January 06 2012 - 06:50 AM

....you don't stand much of a chance being out of your mech.....

But would be interesting to see. However, Adhesive game seems to go on another direction.

#51 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted January 06 2012 - 12:17 PM

One of the questions on this matter would be how far you want to go without your mech's protection.

Perhaps an energy shield would have sense enough for when you go out of your mech_.

:)

Posted Image

#52 J1

J1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationDune

Posted February 03 2012 - 09:51 AM

I don't really get it. Do you exit on command_ Or do you only exit upon destruction of your mech_

If you exit on command.... why would you ever want to do that_ Secondly, if you were to leave your mech upon destruction of it, would players who are still alive be able to see the little people_

I could see problems with ghosting arising if that were the case. Other than that I just don't really see the point :0
Posted Image

#53 Naraklok

Naraklok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted February 06 2012 - 11:31 AM

"I could go without it."

Nuff said.
Naraklok

#54 xyphen

xyphen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted February 06 2012 - 02:16 PM

Hello.

My suggestion conserns being outside of the mech , but not on the battlefield . Im not sure whats the background story , but if there will be some factions it would be nice to have HQs. Basically , place where humans hang out before entering the battles . Some basic custimization of avatar ( some coloured uniforms to distinct veterans and new players ) and themed place where we can meet , organise and discuss . Dont get me wrong , im all about arcade intense shooting and dont want Hawken to be another grind MMO , but this thing would be nice touch and it would bring more people in - people that look for some rp aspects . Another useful thingy is having some consoles where you can access stats , ladder boards (if there are ladders planned ) and notes from devs .

#55 PiGPEN

PiGPEN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted February 07 2012 - 03:13 PM

It's not really a Mech game if you can't hop in and out of Mechs. Right now it's just a FPS with a Mech skin.
Some have asked what the point would be of getting out... go play/watch Metal Warrior for the SNES.
It would greatly increase the strategic aspect. Like having mech spawn points so you could take one and drop it off somewhere to be used as; a fall back position, a decoy, bait.

#56 Naraklok

Naraklok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted February 07 2012 - 04:16 PM

PiGPEN said:

It's not really a Mech game if you can't hop in and out of Mechs.

This.
Naraklok

#57 FASA Corp.se

FASA Corp.se

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted February 08 2012 - 01:40 PM

The ability to be outside of a mech is not pointless and can provide a real tactical advantage, I just don't feel it would work in THIS game...  Just going off of the concept art, I would classify most of these as "light" mechs, which wouldn't be much bigger (relatively the size of say, a semi cab_) than a person on foot. That combine with the speed at which they appear to be moving, the ability to be outside a mech just wouldn't work here.
Now if the mechs were much larger (say, taller than your average two story building) and moved slower (comparatively, would be able to cover ground much faster than someone on foot but only due to a much greater stride) having an 'out of mech' experience would work quite well. Say being equip with either two different load outs: pistol, SRM launcher or pistol, carbine, and a laser target designator. This way you could operate as a two man team or solo. The missile carrier could either fire in dummy mode or have the target painted by his target designator, and the target designator could hook up with a missile carrier or paint targets for mechs with LRM racks, granting the ability to indirect fire....
All that being said, please do not put in the ability to be on foot on the battlefield, I just don't see how it would work in this game in a way that would be enjoyable. I would imagine most players outside their mechs would just search for the nearest ledge to jump off from in order to respawn and get back in the battle.

Just my thoughts.

#58 PiGPEN

PiGPEN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted February 08 2012 - 09:44 PM

It's a given that the people have jetpacks, it's even in the concept art. So they shouldn't be that much slower.

#59 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted February 08 2012 - 10:47 PM

PiGPEN said:

It's not really a Mech game if you can't hop in and out of Mechs. Right now it's just a FPS with a Mech skin.
That's like saying it's not a tank game if you can't hop out of the tank as a gut with a pistol, or it's not a space game if you can't jump out of the ship as a little man in a suit. The important part of a mech game is the mechs.

If showing the cockpit and movement wobble isn't enough to get you into the feel of being inside a mech, then I don't know what you want.

Getting out of the mechs just doesn't seem like it fits this game in the slightest. I could see it working in certain games... but from what I've seen Hawken isn't one of them.

#60 PiGPEN

PiGPEN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted February 09 2012 - 01:55 AM

Arseface said:

That's like saying it's not a tank game if you can't hop out of the tank as a gut with a pistol
It's not a tank game if you dont have unbearably slow target repositioning.

Arseface said:

or it's not a space game if you can't jump out of the ship as a little man in a suit.
It's not a space game if....well actually anything can be a space game since that's not specific enough. In fact HAWKEN could be a space game, just change the skybox to a view of the milky way and say it takes place on an asteroid or something.

Arseface said:

The important part of a mech game is the mechs.
And an important part of Mech games has been getting out of the mech ever since 70s/80s mech anime made it a critical part of their action sequences. And it's a critical part of differentiating it from other similar games since running/flying and shooting isn't all that unique in videogames.

Arseface said:

If showing the cockpit and movement wobble isn't enough to get you into the feel of being inside a mech, then I don't know what you want.
I could care less about feeling like im inside a mech any more than feeling like im a soldier or feeling like im a mario kart. A game that doesn't use it's setting as a way to differentiate it's gameplay from other in the genre (in this case FPS) is nothing more than a clone. Hopping in and out of mechs is a long used feature that sets mecha games apart from their run'n'gun and flight sim counterparts. ...well given how painfully samey the FPS genre is, having jets on your ass might be enough to set it apart (although seasoned rocket jumpers from various games probably wont find this very fresh).

Arseface said:

Getting out of the mechs just doesn't seem like it fits this game in the slightest. I could see it working in certain games... but from what I've seen Hawken isn't one of them.
There's various approaches to getting out of mechs over mulltiple games. I'm sure one of those variations will feel right for HAWKEN. But what is universal is that it involves risk/reward and emphasizes the power of the mecha. You don't get out of a mecha to ownz sum doodz you get out to get a better one for the situation or fix the one youre in or in a worst case scenario to make an escape....things like that, the risk of course being you'll get one-shotted.
And i can personally think of dozens of unique strategies that could be formed by simply adding the most basic of hop-in-out functionality. ....how believable most of these strategies in my mind are though depends on how important staying alive will be to Hawken. If there's no detriment to dying (quick respawns) or benefit to staying alive there would probably be few believable tactics available to leaving a mecha. So if Hawken goes that route...like i said, just a FPS with a Mech skin.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users