HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Third person

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#21 Thundertron

Thundertron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted November 11 2012 - 09:12 AM

/ enter the topic, dont read a sh** and shoot.

Posted Image

Edited by Thundertron, November 11 2012 - 09:14 AM.

"So keep hating, cause the more you hate, the more that it motivates
You got jobs being a hater
So you know what; keep doing your job..."

#22 Sythorian

Sythorian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 09:18 AM

I have actually read the thread, thanks.

#23 Thundertron

Thundertron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted November 11 2012 - 09:25 AM

View PostSythorian, on November 11 2012 - 09:18 AM, said:

I have actually read the thread, thanks.
dont seem.

#24 Hotel6

Hotel6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationViệt Nam, HCMC.

Posted November 11 2012 - 09:28 AM

You know why Mech Warrios don't have TPS mode _
because of you can see everything around you and kill it before it get you.
so, no. and the Radar _ You can only see your enemy on your rader IF your teammate spotted them, or they are reparing.
and also, this is an MMOFPS...with mechs instead of humans.

#25 Thundertron

Thundertron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted November 11 2012 - 09:50 AM

if u are a good player, no matter the view point of the enemy, you will destroy him.
i didnt played the new mechwarrior, but all the last versions have third person view.
in mech warrior online we can use dash_ if not, u already know what im talking about.

#26 kreel2

kreel2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 10:38 AM

I don't know if it would be better or not or if it would really give such a great advantage on the players using it unbalancing the game, we are talking theoretically here but I don't think this is gonna happen anyway.

Implementing something like a third person view may sound easy (the 3rd person camera is already there after all), but in reality it means to change various things, like design choices for the levels, the hud and probably the overall feel of the mechs (that would probably require new captivating animations for mechs you should look at the whole time without motion blur).

A 3rd person spectator sounds cool, but I think it would be useful/better to have a 1st person spectator camera, so that it would be possible to spot more easily aimbotters and cheaters in general, should there ever be a competitive scene for this game (I wouldn't bet on it but, who knows I think it's too early to say for sure).

Of all the times I think this is the better one to test things out, especially crazy ones, and anyway this is just a suggestion so the devs can discard it right away or, who knows, maybe they're going to be up for the challenge (yeah, sure).

#27 Nymphs

Nymphs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 01:04 PM

View PostThundertron, on November 11 2012 - 07:06 AM, said:

View PostBeemann, on November 11 2012 - 06:40 AM, said:

So it's okay for players to aimbot and wallhack as long as SOMEONE can beat them_

*facepalm*
im done here.

I present to you, the pinnacle of arrogance.

Aside from that, Third person is not a good idea, for reasons I do not even have to explain, as they
already have been. I just needed to add my two cents.

Edit:

View PostThundertron, on November 11 2012 - 09:50 AM, said:

if u are a good player, no matter the view point of the enemy, you will destroy him.
i didnt played the new mechwarrior, but all the last versions have third person view.
in mech warrior online we can use dash_ if not, u already know what im talking about.

"All the last versions have third person view."

Posted Image

Edited by Nymphs, November 11 2012 - 01:09 PM.

#28 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 11 2012 - 03:50 PM

View PostThundertron, on November 11 2012 - 07:06 AM, said:

View PostBeemann, on November 11 2012 - 06:40 AM, said:

So it's okay for players to aimbot and wallhack as long as SOMEONE can beat them_

*facepalm*
im done here.
Just showing you the end result of your line of thinking
If balance doesn't matter because players of a greater skill level will still win, why does hacking matter_
Why not add disruptive effects to the screens of people with a KDR of 3 or higher_ If they're good enough they'll overcome it
Why not give people with a 80% winrate or higher half health_ If they're good enough they'll overcome it

Protip: You don't do those things because it isn't fun, and it isn't balanced
Same goes for adding 3rd person POV to a game designed for First Person POV
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#29 Thundertron

Thundertron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted November 11 2012 - 03:53 PM

Nymphs/all, sorry i wrote wrong.
all the other versions (before online) have 3rd person view.

#30 Hotel6

Hotel6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationViệt Nam, HCMC.

Posted November 11 2012 - 04:25 PM

View PostThundertron, on November 11 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

Nymphs/all, sorry i wrote wrong.
all the other versions (before online) have 3rd person view.
that's the point. And why Mech Warriors don't have dash _
CAUSE IF MW HAVE DASH, WHAT'S THE POINT OF MAKING HAWKEN _

#31 syluxman2803

syluxman2803

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 04:41 PM

its hard to call it a fps if you put a 3rd person option.
Posted Image

#32 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 11 2012 - 07:07 PM

I'm fine with third person if it's spectator-only, and obviously when you're healing the extra awareness helps. All the time, though, as I said... no.

I'd just hope for spectator mode they allow toggleable first/third person, as sometimes I'd like to get a "cockpit POV" of a nice kill.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#33 Tim_Barrett

Tim_Barrett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 08:17 PM

This game has far too much CQB to allow a third person view... are you kidding me_

For everyone using the argument "It will be an option! It's okay now!", just stop. That's not the point.

TL;DR of this entire thread is:

A third person view of your Mech makes the game too easy and can easily wipe out a player in an first-person view, for corner-checking, increased FoV, awareness, and the ease of making radar jamming useless to the enemy.

If, IF, we somehow had a TPS option, servers should have, by default, the ability to force FPS for that game. That way, all of the cheaters can play with the other cheaters.

#34 Urvanis

Urvanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, Hawaii

Posted November 11 2012 - 08:22 PM

I personally don't even think 3rd person should be available while repairing. 3rd person gives way too much awareness. It quite simply makes the game easier to play. It will also increase the amount of corner camping, which will diminish the game play. Radar isn't omnipotent like 3rd person view. Radar can be scrambled, avoided, and imprecise. 3rd person and immersion have little business in the same sentence.
Posted Image

#35 Gagzila

Gagzila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationVIC, Australia

Posted November 11 2012 - 09:46 PM

Definitely no to the third person option idea...because it's a FPS - FIRST PERSON SHOOTER!

I am actually all for removing the third person camera while repairing, but with Hawken being a bit more arcadish than say MWO, it's not a big issue. MWO pulls you to a third person view whenever you get knocked over or blown up, which for a simulator is wrong...you should be in your cockpit view from the time you enter the match to the time you leave it, to SIMULATE the fact you are a pilot in a cockpit, controlling a mech.

End of the day, if you don't like the first person view that much then please don't play Hawken - it's simply not for you, find another mech game to play that encompasses the features you enjoy and leave Hawken to be played as the majority already love it for.

Cheers,

Gagzila

Edited by Gagzila, November 11 2012 - 09:50 PM.

Posted Image

#36 Fendelphi

Fendelphi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 12:20 AM

Having 3rd person view will remove a lot of the uncertainty in certain fights(an enemy runs behind a building, and if you can see which way he is facing before you turn the corner, you can decide to pursue or not based on that). That would be a shame in my opinion.

The video with the mech game in 3rd person mode might look "cool" in terms of mobility, since you have complete awareness and easy 360 directional movement, but from the looks of it, awareness(or lack off) is not something that will really cost you your life.
In Hawken, getting flanked or ambushed is a big deal and if one plays 3rd person and another plays 1st person, the one in 3rd person will have better awareness. If the players are equally skilled, the 3rd person player should win more engagements, simply because they can avoid more ambushes and flanking maneuvers.  

I agree that from time to time, it could be cool with 3rd person views(simply to see more of the awesome fighting going on), but then it should be dedicated to certain servers(as others have suggested). This way everyone has the same advantage.
Just remember, as others have said, that a full 3rd person experience demands something different in terms of animation and display. From a developers point of view there is little incentive to spend resources in making both 1st person and 3rd person feel EQUALLY good. That is why most shooters stick to a single PoV. They simply feels different. Better to focus on one and make it feel good.

#37 Thundertron

Thundertron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted November 12 2012 - 06:52 AM

according to the CONSTRUCTIVE comments, i agree, its not a good idea a 3rd person option.
thx for your attention.

#38 gunhe4d

gunhe4d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 07:00 AM

I used to play a FPS way back in the day called Soldier of Fortune 2.  It was a relatively competitive shooter similar in many ways to something like the original Counter Strike.  Anywhoo, it was strictly first person, but some people would hack it to activate 3rd person.  Why would they do such a thing_  So that they could stand at a corner, and look around waiting for someone to come down a corridor, and without even being seen, they could aim their shot, pop out and kill.  We banned people for 3rd person hacks all the time.  It wasn't a matter of preference, it was purely an advantage in combat.

Hawken is very much an FPS, and cannot have 3rd person active in combat.  With the dash mechanic this 3rd corner camping becomes just as deadly.  Simply sit in 3rd from a corner, or any cover, and wait for the enemy to wander unknowingly toward you, then dash out and get them down to half health before they even know you are there, and dash back into cover.  You can still see them because you are in 3rd and you are safe behind cover so they can't counter attack.  They come around to try and attack you but you already know which angle they are attacking from so you dash out again and finish them off.

#39 cgngreenbadass007

cgngreenbadass007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 02:26 PM

Yes add third person view, it gives gamers a greater range of view of where they are at or were their enemies are positioned. Make it optional for those that are not interested in third person view meaning like have a keybind that allows the gamer to switch from first to third person view

#40 cgngreenbadass007

cgngreenbadass007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 02:31 PM

View Postgunhe4d, on November 12 2012 - 07:00 AM, said:

I used to play a FPS way back in the day called Soldier of Fortune 2.  It was a relatively competitive shooter similar in many ways to something like the original Counter Strike.  Anywhoo, it was strictly first person, but some people would hack it to activate 3rd person.  Why would they do such a thing_  So that they could stand at a corner, and look around waiting for someone to come down a corridor, and without even being seen, they could aim their shot, pop out and kill.  We banned people for 3rd person hacks all the time.  It wasn't a matter of preference, it was purely an advantage in combat.

Hawken is very much an FPS, and cannot have 3rd person active in combat.  With the dash mechanic this 3rd corner camping becomes just as deadly.  Simply sit in 3rd from a corner, or any cover, and wait for the enemy to wander unknowingly toward you, then dash out and get them down to half health before they even know you are there, and dash back into cover.  You can still see them because you are in 3rd and you are safe behind cover so they can't counter attack.  They come around to try and attack you but you already know which angle they are attacking from so you dash out again and finish them off.

What a bunch of boloney it does not matter if is third or first person view either way you as a gamer may or may not experience camping. Third person is great as an option in the sense you get a better view of the battlefield and see and strategize not camp were the enemies are at plus it eliminates disorientation meaning when the enemie or the player you are targeting dashes left or right and you are trying to keep up it leaves you disoriented especially when say target flies off and the camera in first person goes all wonky. Again add third person view as an option.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users