HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Third person

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#41 cgngreenbadass007

cgngreenbadass007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 02:34 PM

View PostFendelphi, on November 12 2012 - 12:20 AM, said:

Having 3rd person view will remove a lot of the uncertainty in certain fights(an enemy runs behind a building, and if you can see which way he is facing before you turn the corner, you can decide to pursue or not based on that). That would be a shame in my opinion.

The video with the mech game in 3rd person mode might look "cool" in terms of mobility, since you have complete awareness and easy 360 directional movement, but from the looks of it, awareness(or lack off) is not something that will really cost you your life.
In Hawken, getting flanked or ambushed is a big deal and if one plays 3rd person and another plays 1st person, the one in 3rd person will have better awareness. If the players are equally skilled, the 3rd person player should win more engagements, simply because they can avoid more ambushes and flanking maneuvers.  

I agree that from time to time, it could be cool with 3rd person views(simply to see more of the awesome fighting going on), but then it should be dedicated to certain servers(as others have suggested). This way everyone has the same advantage.
Just remember, as others have said, that a full 3rd person experience demands something different in terms of animation and display. From a developers point of view there is little incentive to spend resources in making both 1st person and 3rd person feel EQUALLY good. That is why most shooters stick to a single PoV. They simply feels different. Better to focus on one and make it feel good.

Ok I don't agree its possible to ambush or flank maneuver a mech in third person view you just have to have the skills for it and it eliminates disorientation when the mechs are dashing or flying off.

#42 cgngreenbadass007

cgngreenbadass007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 02:37 PM

View PostGagzila, on November 11 2012 - 09:46 PM, said:

Definitely no to the third person option idea...because it's a FPS - FIRST PERSON SHOOTER!

I am actually all for removing the third person camera while repairing, but with Hawken being a bit more arcadish than say MWO, it's not a big issue. MWO pulls you to a third person view whenever you get knocked over or blown up, which for a simulator is wrong...you should be in your cockpit view from the time you enter the match to the time you leave it, to SIMULATE the fact you are a pilot in a cockpit, controlling a mech.

End of the day, if you don't like the first person view that much then please don't play Hawken - it's simply not for you, find another mech game to play that encompasses the features you enjoy and leave Hawken to be played as the majority already love it for.

Cheers,

Gagzila

Third Person view will not break the game and no is not a first person shooter is a mech arcade shooter and its possible to make it third person view in an arcade mech shooter like armored core or zone of the enders. At least as an option like in fallout 3 it gives gamers the option to play the game in third or first person view nothing wrong with having options and alternatives.

#43 Gagzila

Gagzila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationVIC, Australia

Posted November 12 2012 - 03:58 PM

View Postcgngreenbadass007, on November 12 2012 - 02:37 PM, said:

Third Person view will not break the game and no is not a first person shooter is a mech arcade shooter and its possible to make it third person view in an arcade mech shooter like armored core or zone of the enders. At least as an option like in fallout 3 it gives gamers the option to play the game in third or first person view nothing wrong with having options and alternatives.

Kindly cast your eyes on the below image, particularly the bits surrounded by red boxes...

Posted Image

I rest my case...also did you ever come across people trying to make Counter Strike have a third person option_

The whole idea of the game is you are putting yourself in the shoes of a mech pilot. Even the game engine used (Unreal 3) to make Hawken is from a lineage of awesome, fast paced, FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS!

Please desist with this tiresome topic because the game is clearly a FPS no matter what way you look at it and it should stay this way as AG designed it.

Why don't you try reading up a bit on the game first before you just come blundering in, demanding it should have a third person option - http://en.wikipedia....en_(video_game)...and then go play it some and actually just take the game as it is and enjoy it instead of trying to change everything that is good about it! (generalising here at the same time about other topics with silly game changing requests).

Thanks,

Gagzila

Edited by Gagzila, November 12 2012 - 04:14 PM.

Posted Image

#44 Adreni

Adreni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 04:12 PM

View PostThundertron, on November 11 2012 - 07:34 AM, said:

View PostThe_Silencer, on November 11 2012 - 07:24 AM, said:

Third person_.. sure...

AH! GOD! NO! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! MAKE IT STOP!!!

That is NOTHING like Hawken! Do you hear me_! NOTHING!!! DXXXX

Hawken is a light-simulation tactical action game, NOT a gun brawler!!!

#45 Thundertron

Thundertron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted November 12 2012 - 04:53 PM

View PostAdreni, on November 12 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

then play mech warrior (single player) if u want slowmo games... -.-
Exteel was the best game i ever seen, and i bet there is a lot of ex players here, and im sure there is more coming, but 70%+ neither will try  some battles.
since exteel died, i never got fixed in other games.
Exteel had everything to be the best game of the world, but NCSoft sucks...
"So keep hating, cause the more you hate, the more that it motivates
You got jobs being a hater
So you know what; keep doing your job..."

#46 z121231211

z121231211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 05:57 PM

View PostThundertron, on November 12 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

It must be bad being the designers of Hawken who decided to put Hawken in-between two genres. There seems to be a sizable amount of people that want Hawken to go completely Armored Core or completely MWO without realizing that those games exist already.

Hawken's pretty slow, but it's speed is just enough to be pretty unique.
Desert Fox

#47 Gambino_

Gambino_

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 07:14 PM

Bad, bad, bad idea. Third person would break the game by letting you see around corners easier. Also, it's a mech game. Why would anyone want to play outside of an awesome cockpit_

#48 Adreni

Adreni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 07:43 PM

View PostThundertron, on November 12 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

View PostAdreni, on November 12 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

Exteel was the best game i ever seen, and i bet there is a lot of ex players here, and im sure there is more coming, but 70%+ neither will try  some battles.
since exteel died, i never got fixed in other games.
Exteel had everything to be the best game of the world, but NCSoft sucks...

So you're saying that Hawken should become an arcade game_ Because that's what Exteel is from what I'm seeing in the gameplay.

Alright, so Hawken isn't a hardsim like Mechwarrior or, in general, a TANK game, which is what MW and Chrome Hounds are for the most part. Tanks with legs.

MechWarrior = Tank-feel semi-hardcore simulator
Exteel = High-octane, arena-brawling arcade game
Hawken = Flexible-pace, reflexive AND tactical softcore simulator

Get it yet_ If you want another Exteel, go play Armored Core 5. If you want a game that actually requires tactics, suck it up.

Oh, and you remember that little "All the past Mechwarrior games had 3rd person" quip_ Yes, they did. I was a Coyote and we tested the cam and played with the cam and finally RESTRICTED THE CAM because our experimentation yielded one undeniable fact: those using exterior tracking had a very obvious advantage. They could peek over terrain without exposing themselves. And they exploited it a LOT.

MechWarrior 4 proved why exterior tracking is NOT a good idea in any simulator, and the only reason it works in WoT is because WoT is a slow-paced game with tons of active entity occlusion culling. In other words, THEIR method made you unable to see what was obstructed from your statistical viewpoint. That works great for them... it's a TANK game. Hawken is NOT.

#49 Thundertron

Thundertron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted November 13 2012 - 04:47 AM

View PostGambino_, on November 12 2012 - 07:14 PM, said:

Bad, bad, bad idea. Third person would break the game by letting you see around corners easier. Also, it's a mech game. Why would anyone want to play outside of an awesome cockpit_
yeah, i got it, but one of the reason is because the entire mech is awesome, its cool to watch the animations too.

#50 Thundertron

Thundertron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted November 13 2012 - 04:53 AM

View PostAdreni, on November 12 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

So you're saying that Hawken should become an arcade game_ Because that's what Exteel is from what I'm seeing in the gameplay.

Alright, so Hawken isn't a hardsim like Mechwarrior or, in general, a TANK game, which is what MW and Chrome Hounds are for the most part. Tanks with legs.

MechWarrior = Tank-feel semi-hardcore simulator
Exteel = High-octane, arena-brawling arcade game
Hawken = Flexible-pace, reflexive AND tactical softcore simulator

Get it yet_ If you want another Exteel, go play Armored Core 5. If you want a game that actually requires tactics, suck it up.

Oh, and you remember that little "All the past Mechwarrior games had 3rd person" quip_ Yes, they did. I was a Coyote and we tested the cam and played with the cam and finally RESTRICTED THE CAM because our experimentation yielded one undeniable fact: those using exterior tracking had a very obvious advantage. They could peek over terrain without exposing themselves. And they exploited it a LOT.

MechWarrior 4 proved why exterior tracking is NOT a good idea in any simulator, and the only reason it works in WoT is because WoT is a slow-paced game with tons of active entity occlusion culling. In other words, THEIR method made you unable to see what was obstructed from your statistical viewpoint. That works great for them... it's a TANK game. Hawken is NOT.

yeah man, i got it, now you made a CONSTRUCTIVE argument. i was just trolling, sorry.
and ill try this Armored Core, thx for the indication. But, is it online_

#51 Fendelphi

Fendelphi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 09:59 AM

View Postcgngreenbadass007, on November 12 2012 - 02:34 PM, said:

View PostFendelphi, on November 12 2012 - 12:20 AM, said:

Having 3rd person view will remove a lot of the uncertainty in certain fights(an enemy runs behind a building, and if you can see which way he is facing before you turn the corner, you can decide to pursue or not based on that). That would be a shame in my opinion.

The video with the mech game in 3rd person mode might look "cool" in terms of mobility, since you have complete awareness and easy 360 directional movement, but from the looks of it, awareness(or lack off) is not something that will really cost you your life.
In Hawken, getting flanked or ambushed is a big deal and if one plays 3rd person and another plays 1st person, the one in 3rd person will have better awareness. If the players are equally skilled, the 3rd person player should win more engagements, simply because they can avoid more ambushes and flanking maneuvers.  

I agree that from time to time, it could be cool with 3rd person views(simply to see more of the awesome fighting going on), but then it should be dedicated to certain servers(as others have suggested). This way everyone has the same advantage.
Just remember, as others have said, that a full 3rd person experience demands something different in terms of animation and display. From a developers point of view there is little incentive to spend resources in making both 1st person and 3rd person feel EQUALLY good. That is why most shooters stick to a single PoV. They simply feels different. Better to focus on one and make it feel good.

Ok I don't agree its possible to ambush or flank maneuver a mech in third person view you just have to have the skills for it and it eliminates disorientation when the mechs are dashing or flying off.
Of course it is possible to ambush someone in 3rd person mode. I have never said that it was impossible, but it is harder compared to ambushing one that is in 1st person. Which is why there should not be mixed viewmodes in the same match/server. Again, if the developers want to make a good 3rd person mode, fine by me(I would probably enjoy it quite a lot for casual gaming), but those viewmodes should have their own servers where everyone is "locked" in the same 3rd person view.

#52 Ferahtsu

Ferahtsu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 11:25 AM

I enjoy the sense of claustrophobia in the cockpit. 3rd person won't happen

#53 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 14 2012 - 09:40 AM

http://youtu.be/_5nFa5ObxMg

If you can't see the advantage that gives you, I don't know how else to get it through.

And besides that, Hawken is a FPS.
Last time I checked, first person shooters were in first person.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#54 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMission Control

Posted November 14 2012 - 02:19 PM

you know what I say_

you want third-person_ Go "retro" and play MechAssault or Armored Core. This is Hawken.

If you don't like the FOV in first-person mode, there's an option in settings to widen it. Otherwise, being able to look around corners due to over-the-shoulder cameras would give serious advantages to third-person view that have been stated over and over in this discussion.

If you want to see your mech so bad, you can do it in the Garage in the main menu or in staging before you spawn. Right-clicking on your mech lets you orbit around it.

Edited by Ace4225, November 14 2012 - 02:21 PM.

Posted Image
US East    -Brawler   -Berserker   -Scout   -Assault
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#55 Thundertron

Thundertron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted November 14 2012 - 03:33 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 14 2012 - 09:40 AM, said:

If you can't see the advantage that gives you, I don't know how else to get it through.

View PostAce4225, on November 14 2012 - 02:19 PM, said:

you know what I say_

you want third-person_ Go "retro" and play MechAssault or Armored Core. This is Hawken.

If you don't like the FOV in first-person mode, there's an option in settings to widen it. Otherwise, being able to look around corners due to over-the-shoulder cameras would give serious advantages to third-person view that have been stated over and over in this discussion.

If you want to see your mech so bad, you can do it in the Garage in the main menu or in staging before you spawn. Right-clicking on your mech lets you orbit around it.
Posted November 12 2012 - 03:52 PM
"according to the CONSTRUCTIVE comments, i agree, its not a good idea a 3rd person option.
thx for your attention."

enter the topic, dont read a sh** and shoot. (2)

Posted Image

well done ladies

Edited by Thundertron, November 14 2012 - 03:36 PM.

#56 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 14 2012 - 03:49 PM

View PostThundertron, on November 14 2012 - 03:33 PM, said:

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 14 2012 - 09:40 AM, said:

Posted November 12 2012 - 03:52 PM
"according to the CONSTRUCTIVE comments, i agree, its not a good idea a 3rd person option.
thx for your attention."

enter the topic, dont read a sh** and shoot. (2)

well done ladies
So I missed a single one line post in a 3 page thread.
Sue me.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#57 Thundertron

Thundertron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted November 14 2012 - 04:02 PM

sure ma'am.

#58 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 14 2012 - 04:09 PM

View PostThundertron, on November 14 2012 - 04:02 PM, said:

ma'am.
Asian's a guy
just so ya know
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#59 Deu

Deu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationWhite Base

Posted November 14 2012 - 04:15 PM

I also suggest the option to play in bird's eye view or 4th dimensionally. I'd like to see everything flipped inside out, stretched apart, and upside down. I'd like this option to always be on by default and not able to be turned off by anyone other than the President.

Posted Image

#60 Thundertron

Thundertron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted November 14 2012 - 05:03 PM

View PostBeemann, on November 14 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

Asian's a guy
just so ya know