HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Limb damage_

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you like to see a limb-damage system_ (722 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see a limb-damage system_

1. Yes, arms and legs, all of it. (374 votes [59.84%])

Percentage of vote: 59.84%

2. Maybe a limited one. (141 votes [22.56%])

Percentage of vote: 22.56%

3. Nope, not at all. (110 votes [17.60%])

Percentage of vote: 17.60%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 Unoriginal_Name

Unoriginal_Name

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted February 17 2013 - 01:01 PM

No, considering the (for a mech game) fast-paced nature there's in my opinion no point. Besides that, adding limb damage would basically make this a fast-moving, simple mechwarrior, which although it could be a good thing makes the game lose much of its originality.
Besides that, in an established game, adding something that large is VERY dangerous, can cause a huge balance change and play-style shifts.

#122 MasterFALE

MasterFALE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted February 18 2013 - 10:21 PM

Alright, I'm a huge Mechwarrior fan. Hell I used to have the construction rules for Battletech, the old version of the table-top, memorized.

However, I don't think Hawken lends itself to blowing limbs off of mech. Its a low weapon density, high mobility game.

Initially I voted no, but after reading through the first page had to re-think myself. Limited weapon damage could be awesome. Mostly visual cues, though reduced weapon accuracy and reduced movement could be pretty juicy.
Posted ImageReaper(25), Scout(15), Infiltrator(6), Technician(11), Bruiser(25), CRT(15), SharpShooter(12), Rocketeer(18), Grenadier(12), Brawler(6)

#123 Agile

Agile

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted February 19 2013 - 01:15 AM

I would like a system that to some extent penatalizes taking damage. Altough a mech should still remain operatable with all its functions (so no losing of weapons or mobilty), but some reducation in moving speed and turning speed would be great.

#124 Hollow_Knight

Hollow_Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted February 22 2013 - 03:36 AM

This would (provided it's implemented properly) make combat a lot more unpredictable and hopefully a lot more exciting.  

I don't see why you need a new repair system though.  There's nothing wrong with damaged libs or whatever getting repaired as the mech is now, if damaged parts required you to go and find repair stations or shut down your mech for extended periods of time, it would just break the flow of gameplay...

Edited by Hollow_Knight, February 22 2013 - 03:36 AM.

#125 Taw_Archangel

Taw_Archangel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted March 12 2013 - 10:46 PM

I am not looking for a mech simulator, if you want that, mech warrior online is probably the game for you. I think this game is a very fun game without limb damage.

Edited by Taw_Archangel, March 12 2013 - 10:46 PM.

I am known as a few names. Sicarius_X, PilotError, and Archangel. Also, C-class master race ;)
Posted Image

#126 c0mad0r

c0mad0r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA. USA

Posted March 12 2013 - 11:07 PM

You want limb damage, I want an ejection seat... both are ridiculous.
It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools. Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers. -Illiad

Check out my: HAWKEN MUMBLE SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN TEAMSPEAK SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN INI's EXPLAINED

#127 AshenCrow

AshenCrow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted March 13 2013 - 09:23 AM

This game plays like an FPS, right_ Can you shoot off legs in an FPS_ Now look at MW:O. You can shoot off legs, but you can also redistribute armor to and from those legs. This game is... well I don't want to say "simpler", but it's more streamlined. More armor customization means more server requirements and possible lag from calculations.

If they ever implement this I truly hope it is a separate match type, like Hardcore. This would make sense in a hardcore mode with no respawns.

#128 THEXDS

THEXDS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationHonduras

Posted May 26 2013 - 08:02 PM

Limb damage will be nice, and I consider that, instead of repairing such heavy damages to your mech on the field, may be better to return to your base and get fixed there, Or, having a technician near will also help.
Posted Image

#129 arthoud

arthoud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted May 05 2014 - 09:02 AM

View PostFlyingdebris, on April 26 2011 - 04:07 AM, said:

@Aether

In that specific case i was playing vs computer, but i have played countless hours vs other people in games that did allow for component failure

Being at a disadvantage due to broken parts is the whole point though.  Thats part of the drama. Compensating for lost equipment and abilities is just part of skills that players have to learn.  If anything, multiplayer is a better environment for a limb damage system, because you will respawn relatively quickly for little consequence and be back in the fight.

Having breakable components introduces factors into a fight that are more than just "can i evade and aim at the same time"  but more like  "oh my right arm is getting messed up, let me turn my fresher left side towards my opponent to give him some fresh armor to chew on," or, "fuzzy bunny, all my guns are shot off, let me ram this jerk to slow him down so that he can't hit my teammates but my teammates have an easy target," or "dammit, my legs are hobbled, don't care, i fight on"  Or, "haha, i got the drop on this guy, time to chew through his paper thin rear armor"

Which i find a lot more interesting than everyone fighting at peak efficiency right up until they explode.

and not all of it is conscious aiming, a lot of times you are just shooting in their general direction and hoping for the best, and what happens happens.  Seriously, try out some MWLL.  That mod will teach you outright just how dramatic it is to continue a fight with one arm and being on fire.

True, its nice when you have component damage on Mechwarrior and other games like that, but how do you add that to such a fast paced game when it was designed for hitpoints, not component damage_

#130 renynzea

renynzea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted May 05 2014 - 09:57 AM

Only if they dramatically increase time to kill.  Does little good to have limb damage when you are blown to bits two seconds later.

#131 Crminimal

Crminimal

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted May 06 2014 - 07:42 AM

It would be interesting to see a basic component damage system included in the mutators for custom servers alongside TTK modifiers.
But Priorities...

Edited by Crminimal, May 06 2014 - 07:43 AM.

#132 craftydus

craftydus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationIn The Uterus of Love

Posted May 06 2014 - 09:08 AM

This poll is old enough to walk and form basic sentences.

This is the oldest thread I've ever seen necro'd. Bravo! I ain't even mad, that's amazing!

Posted Image

#133 Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts
  • LocationDistrict 19, Kobalt, Crion, Illal

Posted May 06 2014 - 09:44 AM

I`ll fix it later.

#134 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted May 06 2014 - 09:52 AM

I'd only want it if it was purely aesthetic.
Like a leg on fire or all of the armor shot off without affecting performance of the mech.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#135 Skrill

Skrill

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationSkrillville, CA

Posted May 06 2014 - 10:26 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 08 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

You're exactly right.

#136 Koskeo

Koskeo

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted May 12 2014 - 11:40 AM

If limb damage would be here, my enemies would crawl because playing pred with eoc-p and eoc-r is all about shooting to legs.

#137 Brycko

Brycko

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationA place in physical space

Posted May 23 2014 - 09:04 AM

This would be cool, but there are many reasons I cannot ever see this happening in Hawken.
1) It would be incredibly hard for the devs, as they are limited in resources and it is time consuming.
2) It isn't practical for a mech game. As soon as somebodies leg is off, they can't do much. They would probably fall over and die anyway.
3) It would be insane to balance.

It won't happen. I would be petrified if it did.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users