HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Limb damage_

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you like to see a limb-damage system_ (722 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see a limb-damage system_

1. Yes, arms and legs, all of it. (374 votes [59.84%])

Percentage of vote: 59.84%

2. Maybe a limited one. (141 votes [22.56%])

Percentage of vote: 22.56%

3. Nope, not at all. (110 votes [17.60%])

Percentage of vote: 17.60%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Jyork

Jyork

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted February 11 2012 - 07:16 PM

I'm interested in the idea of temporary effects.

Shoot your enemies legs, they can't move as quickly for a few seconds. However the mech "repairs" the damage soon after by borrowing hitpoints from other systems, lowering the overall hp, but bringing the individual part back up to normal conditions.

Not sure how well it might work, but I haven't seen anything like this before, so might be worth a thought.
Just a thought...

#82 SmellyFingers

SmellyFingers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted May 31 2012 - 04:31 PM

maybe limbs, once destroyed, can be health-repaired to 75%, but full functionality can only be restored at the home base.
for example, if legs weakened state=no sprint, no sprint until repaired fully at base.

#83 BrMaximus

BrMaximus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationRussian Federation (USSR)

Posted June 04 2012 - 12:10 PM

My own opinion in this question it is actually that limb damage MUST be. It will stimulate the damage of machine better than without this system.  I very big fan of this damage model in all games with mechs because i played in MechWarriror so much and know it very well. So in addition to opinion of all forum members i want add the suggestion of system of death of our pilot that can be when the gun with big caliber make a shot right in cabine of pilot. Only with large gun like a anti-armor cannon or some of energy-guns.

Posted Image

#84 Calypso

Calypso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted June 11 2012 - 10:12 AM

I would be funny to disable a mech but I feel as if this wont happen and would not be fun for anyone.
..................................................Posted Image.............................................

#85 Luaq

Luaq

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted June 17 2012 - 10:06 PM

I was about to create a thread about it, as a huge fan of the mech games ( that always turned to be cool but always missed a point)
I wanted to make sure that this game that seems promising, be the one I'll play for sure.

This is a game of mechs, Mechs are machines that are brought to life trough mecanism....
You break a leg specially-engineered to make the mech walk with the help of the other, then you have a crippled mech that still can somewhat move but struggle on the ground doing so and still be shooting or try to fly with it's jetpack and retreat.

Heck shoot it in the back and no more jet packs.

This would make people choose more wisely about items or how defensive or not the mech is; Additional Protection Plates, Instead of a gun you set up a small or big shield, reducing speed depending which on you took but giving you alternate protection, maybe taking out a portion of your view to protect a side more than another.
=> I see a right handed bulky sniper mech, crouched with his shield installation and half of it's body covered leaving only the right leg, the arm with the sniper gun and half of it's core body.

I don't know about the maps, but large scale, in a desert, canyon or even mountains with some area that are industrial ruins would put up a great deal of teamwork to actually get closer to the enemy team that set up a great defense.
Limb damage would bring the use of MINES of course

In the end, science fiction is all about reinventing. That said, in such a universe, theses makes cannot be the only fighting mechs around. I know the game is still in work, but if you have modern warfare, you also have unmanned systems and I think this game needs aerial light mechs for tactical distractions putting aside the big ships hovering in the sky.

I'm getting of topic I think.
Limb damage Is a must unless you want another counter-strike skinned with mechs...

#86 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted June 19 2012 - 10:14 AM

Actually, in a fast paced game as Hawken seems to be now, I don't think that limb damage may fit in the scheme well enough.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#87 COLDKILL

COLDKILL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted June 19 2012 - 10:31 AM

Limb damage is a terrible idea. This is a first person shooter. You die a respawn, its meant to be fast paced and action packed. I would rather suicide than limp around waiting for someone to finish me off while I'm at a great disadvantage to someone with a fresh mech. This isn't like other mech games where the rounds are long and drawn out.

#88 Kerbstomp

Kerbstomp

3D Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted June 19 2012 - 04:33 PM

C0LDKILL said:

This is a first person shooter. You die a respawn, its meant to be fast paced and action packed. I would rather suicide than limp around waiting for someone to finish me off while I'm at a great disadvantage to someone with a fresh mech. This isn't like other mech games where the rounds are long and drawn out.

Right on the money.  Limb damage is an awesome feature, but it wouldn't necessarily be a good fit for Hawken.  At this point in time, it's not something we're looking to implement.

#89 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted June 21 2012 - 11:42 AM

Case closed. :)

P.S. For now_..

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#90 KnightWing

KnightWing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted June 23 2012 - 12:54 PM

I would really love a limb damage system. It would be awesome to blast off a mech's arm and prevent him from using his favorite weapon. Or what about crippling his leg and having the mech fall over lol. Depending on how the mech falls over it would be really funny and cool to see it at your mercy, not being able to fire at you unless your standing right in front of it.

There are so many possibilities to a limb damage system. I would welcome it.

#91 Lord_Edge1

Lord_Edge1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted June 24 2012 - 03:02 AM

A limb damage system would be cool and would create some interesting gameplay. However it would be annoying if you couldn't do anything and just walk around waiting to get killed, I think that maybe you should be able to repair them,  but if they're blown off they're gone for good.

#92 MoreStatik

MoreStatik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted September 16 2012 - 08:14 PM

This would be an awesome idea, as long as there was some way for repair, otherwise you'd be a sitting duck that might as well be dead. The ability to repair limbs when damaged would give a fighting chance.

#93 Mindtroverted

Mindtroverted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted September 18 2012 - 04:24 AM

I think that actually destroying a part of your mech would be impossible to implement. However, you could have a part of your mech disabled. This would be implemented by certain limitations, for example if your legs are disabled you are able to move at half the normal speed or something. But if you actually lost a part, you might as well be dead if you can`t repair them. Other possibilities might be to be able to take parts of dead mechs which weren`t destroyed and attaching them to your own. This would also introduce a further tactical division: either you would slowly disable parts of a mech to kill it more easily, or you would go directly for the kill by aiming at the cockpit so you could salvage as many functional parts as possible.

#94 terminalinsanity

terminalinsanity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted September 18 2012 - 04:42 AM

Absolutely should! Make subsystems damagable too.

Hit on the communications system should knock out the map for a minute or two
Damage to the cooling system could cause overheating
Guidence system damage causes guided missiles to just shoot straight ahead

Each mech could have these located in a different spot so they can have more varied weaknesses

#95 Phobotech

Phobotech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas

Posted September 19 2012 - 12:47 PM

From the terrain to appendages, weapons to systems and powerplants, the more destruction, the better!

Edited by Phobotech, September 19 2012 - 12:48 PM.

Posted Image

#96 BillyFB

BillyFB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted September 19 2012 - 03:54 PM

This for me is one of the aspects I most miss in games in general and specially in heavy vehicle fight, I really don't care that the damage is that much accurate, what I think is the most important part is how it affects the game play, how with this heavy gear, you have to pound them, crippling and then making the coup de grâce and finish them of, this makes every battle an epic one, imagine even crippled taking your pursuing enemy into a friends orchestrated ambush! I would rather play 30 min. games in witch you 2 or 3 times, or just one with healing possibilities, that die 20 times in 1 min. or less intervals, just slowing a bit the pace, so you can think in the middle of the battle, react to changes, and be able to change the course of events even if you were caught in disadvantage at first.

#97 Immie

Immie

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted September 20 2012 - 05:47 AM

View PostCameronKerby, on June 19 2012 - 04:33 PM, said:

C0LDKILL said:

This is a first person shooter. You die a respawn, its meant to be fast paced and action packed. I would rather suicide than limp around waiting for someone to finish me off while I'm at a great disadvantage to someone with a fresh mech. This isn't like other mech games where the rounds are long and drawn out.

Right on the money.  Limb damage is an awesome feature, but it wouldn't necessarily be a good fit for Hawken.  At this point in time, it's not something we're looking to implement.
I'm happy with this.

I would be OK with shooting someone in the legs doing less damage, but crippling limbs and slowing/stopping your movement_ Absolutely not.

Posted Image

#98 MellowD

MellowD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted September 21 2012 - 12:07 AM

Limb's would have to have their own health for something like that, wouldn't mind seeing that though. But would probably get annoying.

Im A Monster EveryDay Is Halloween.

#99 MajFireStorm

MajFireStorm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, Los Angeles

Posted September 21 2012 - 12:27 AM

I wouldn't mind limited-damage to limbs or weapons, I'd probably say no to complete crippling to where it's useless:

- Shot up Arm, degraded fire rate to projectile rounds / depleted power to energy weapons
- Shot up Leg, degraded ground movement speed
- Shot up Pilot Cockpit, degraded vision / use of target/radar acquisition

I think we're talking about huge hulking chucks of metal, at the very least some visuals like mentioned before: Damaged Mech's that smoke for example, or appeared to be physically altered.

Posted Image

#100 LichBourne

LichBourne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted September 21 2012 - 07:49 AM

I don't think that you'd find yourself without legs as often as you'd think. Chances are if someone has disabled your legs, he's about to kill you. As many of you mentioned, Hawken is a fast paced first person shooter. You won't be lying around on the ground for long at all even if you kill your attacker as there will be plenty of other players coming to finish you off.

If there's going to be complete destruction of limbs, there has to be a fairly quick way to repair the damage. Given that the mechs are highly customisable, what if the heavier mechs could carry repair kits for light, or medium mechs_ This would give the larger mechs another support position.

If they choose to not include damage to limbs, I'd like to at least see some visual stuff on damaged mechs, such as smoke and sparking

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users