HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Limb damage_

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you like to see a limb-damage system_ (722 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see a limb-damage system_

1. Yes, arms and legs, all of it. (374 votes [59.84%])

Percentage of vote: 59.84%

2. Maybe a limited one. (141 votes [22.56%])

Percentage of vote: 22.56%

3. Nope, not at all. (110 votes [17.60%])

Percentage of vote: 17.60%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 3leggedFreak

3leggedFreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted April 26 2011 - 04:35 AM

I would love it, though getting it right takes a lot of work. Also, since it's a FPS, there must be good feedback so that I know what the heck is going on with my ride. This is maybe not the most important feature that they have to focus on but if they would manage to get it working it would be amazing.

#42 Ilhan

Ilhan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 09:24 AM

Only a limited one.... like arms damage that destruct one of your weapon, or leg damage that affect your speed.

But not too much, like leg disabled and you can't move.
This kind of things kill the game dynamic.

#43 aethernet

aethernet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Locationcyberspace

Posted April 26 2011 - 03:05 PM

@Mech Mechanic

I understand where your coming from.

It's just that I prefer really fast paced games as opposed to mech sims.

I think Hawken will somehow become a good balance between the two genres.

What if you start losing parts only after your HP has been reduced to 0 or in a situation where you are taking heavy fire. Wouldn't that be the best of both worlds_ Not only would it give you extra survivability, but it would give you a chance to use more tactics in critical situations.
mecha srw anime vg gundam vocaloid touhou programming etc

#44 vesper1

vesper1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 04:40 PM

Area specific damage - yeah!

If you get a well aimed shot at the cockpit, you should suffer more damage/get concussion damage as a pilot (which would probably put you out of action for a second or two). If your weapon gets hit, it should be at least taken offline for a short while. If your legs or back get hurt, you probably risk a lot of mobility (actually, where are the mechas' engines in Hawken_ :D).

Then again, some more 'splashy' weapons (e.g. EMP, flamethrowers... will there be flamethrowers__!_!!_ ;D) would probably affect the whole mecha, if they hit a part that's big enough
Recruiting to the Bad Luck XIII Hawken Clan - interested_ Send me a PM.
[almost there...] http://hawkenwiki.net/ (all hail Ashfire908)

#45 SirBlastalot

SirBlastalot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 04:55 PM

Anyone remember X-wing_ I'd love a damage system like that, where it's not so much specific limbs that can get damaged, but the onboard systems.  It's been years since I last played it, so I honestly don't remember it too well myself, but I remember it being really cool and immersive.  Not to mention that it would make you feel like you're piloting a robot, rather than BEING a robot.

#46 Irrelevant

Irrelevant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 09:39 PM

Having your legs disabled would not be as crippling in this game because you have a jetpack.

Remembering the trailer, It looks like they have a system like this for the weapons- (The weaker your weapon is the harder it is for it to be destroyed)
That mech on top of the building with the skinny cannons that had no armor around them.
The other mechs had kind of arms/shoulders, and then the weapon, that works for me.

#47 Daishi

Daishi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted April 26 2011 - 10:53 PM

Limb damage is a good gameplay mechanic, as it allows for more complex tactics and provides larger mechs a defense against smaller ones.
Posted Image

#48 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted April 27 2011 - 01:43 PM

Although my question would be: If you mostly have a Jump-Jets ability granted then what's the point of limb damage_.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#49 JackDandy

JackDandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted April 27 2011 - 02:59 PM

It's not like you would be able to spam the jump-jets, bro.
It has a limit, and would probably not really function well with Bunny-hopping style maneuvers.

#50 Gus

Gus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted April 27 2011 - 03:16 PM

Limb damage is very good for mech games. Not only would the loss of weapons for arm damage be cool, but if you could add leg damage by maybe slowing down the mech or having it trip in some way if it takes a hit in the leg while the leg is damage and the mech is running.

Just some ideas..

#51 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted April 27 2011 - 03:17 PM

No endless fuel definitely sounds as something cool to me, indeed.

On the other hand.. well.. the whole (limbs) thing looks more like some sort of walking speed penalization to me than.. wait... That walking animation in the Terminator movie wasn't looking that lamer as the guy was practically walking on one legged gear.

And I'm not completely kidding now. :D

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#52 Sledgecrushr1

Sledgecrushr1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted April 27 2011 - 04:33 PM

I remember playing battletech laying there on my back with both legs blown off, all of a sudden floating right across my aiming reticule a mech was jet packing right over the top of me.  That was the game winning shot when I lit that dude up with all my guns blazing.

#53 Zero

Zero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted April 27 2011 - 06:17 PM

Limb damage I think would be fine, but in a game like this I think it should be limited to the arms, and only if there was an alternative/secondary way to do damage, cause otherwise you are literally just waiting to die in order to do something again. Although I did here there will be a system in place where you can repair yourself manually (since there is no auto-regen), so maybe you could incorporate the limb damage into that.

#54 aethernet

aethernet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Locationcyberspace

Posted April 27 2011 - 09:47 PM

I am sorry but if there is limb damage, I will be going straight to AC5.
mecha srw anime vg gundam vocaloid touhou programming etc

#55 Irrelevant

Irrelevant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted April 27 2011 - 10:24 PM

Depending on what developers intend, if you don't like limb damage you can just join a game on a server that has it disabled.

#56 Flyingdebris

Flyingdebris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 28 2011 - 05:00 AM

Aether said:

hey at least you have that option, name any official FPS mech games that have had limb damage in the past 7 years
Mech time all the time

#57 JackDandy

JackDandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted April 28 2011 - 05:57 AM

Aether said:

But I thought AC has limb damage as well_

#58 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted April 28 2011 - 11:22 AM

Zero said:

Limb damage I think would be fine, but in a game like this I think it should be limited to the arms, and only if there was an alternative/secondary way to do damage, cause otherwise you are literally just waiting to die in order to do something again. Although I did here there will be a system in place where you can repair yourself manually (since there is no auto-regen), so maybe you could incorporate the limb damage into that.

There is no auto-regen_

Posted Image

#59 Kaliops

Kaliops

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted April 28 2011 - 11:49 AM

Edited!

I want this game to make me feel like I'm firing weapons in large robot.  If a robots arm meets physics it might fall off along with any weapons in it.  Hawken may or may not have that.   More importantly i wan the devs to like their game, those are the ones crafted with love.

#60 JackDandy

JackDandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted April 28 2011 - 12:08 PM

Woah there, Kalios! No need to be negative.  :lol:
We're just brainstorming!

The_Silencer said:

There is no auto-regen_

Nope, and it's better that way.
Apparently, the only way you can heal yourself is by shutting your mech down.
It leaves you exposed to enemy attacks, however, so you have to plan ahead and do it in a well-hidden place.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users