HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Limb damage_

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you like to see a limb-damage system_ (722 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see a limb-damage system_

1. Yes, arms and legs, all of it. (374 votes [59.84%])

Percentage of vote: 59.84%

2. Maybe a limited one. (141 votes [22.56%])

Percentage of vote: 22.56%

3. Nope, not at all. (110 votes [17.60%])

Percentage of vote: 17.60%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted April 28 2011 - 01:11 PM

That sounds good to me too.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#62 Jon1

Jon1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted May 22 2011 - 01:16 AM

Not having limb damage would make this game suck. Like having bunnies with airsoft guns strapped to their heads. Did you see that game_ Did we watch the same movie_ Hawken is gritty, its smokey, Sharp,and savage. It doesn't care about you or your petty life. If you want out of the steel deathbed press the big flashing self destruct and grow a spine and take revenge

#63 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted May 25 2011 - 04:10 AM

I think this would depend on how unvulnerable the het-pack system is at the end.

I mean.. can't not talk on this at this stage until I do not see brand new gameplay footage.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#64 Ilhan

Ilhan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted August 16 2011 - 05:36 PM

Full limb damage would be cool if we can eject from the mech because I'm sure everyone hate to have generators down or one leg destructed. So to keep it fun, you need to have that possibility to eject.

How it should be made_ I don't know.

Maybe if you eject from you mech it count as a regular kill, your mech explode and you respawn.
Simple to make.
Or harder to add to the game : the ability to move as a human and take another mech.

At least some limited limb damage seems necessary for a mech game.

#65 SixEcho

SixEcho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted August 17 2011 - 10:55 AM

I'm a fan of limb damage in the meantime only because the mechs we have seen so far from hawken are all LIGHT mechs.

This leaves out 2/3's of the gameplay and until I see the capability of the Heavy and Medium mechs I want them to be able to slightly cripple those Light mechs, dashing around like their tweaking on crack.

#66 Aeonite

Aeonite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted September 28 2011 - 01:01 AM

Jack Dandy said:

Classic PC mecha games always included some sort of a limb damage system. You could cripple a guy's legs, blast off his weapon arms, and more.

I think mech games in general should have it, but considering this is more of an action game, it should be introduced in a somewhat limited way.
For example, shorter rocket-jet durations, gun jams, radar scrambled, etc. Some ways to repair them should be available.

What's your take on this_

That sounds far more in depth than just having your guns blasted off, or speed slowed!

#67 Crow

Crow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted September 29 2011 - 12:55 PM

meh, fun but could go without it.
I mean, if your legs get blasted off your mech should not even have hope of standing. Unless these mechs were also designed to stand on one, or no legs. With their arms...well not much you can do if you don't have a freaking weapon, not much point there. You might as well be dead really. Getting them crippled or radar being disabled, stuff like that, kinda interesting, could do without though.

So I say- wouldn't mind with or without either way. + more unnecessary work for devs.

#68 Flyingdebris

Flyingdebris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 30 2011 - 01:34 PM

assuming limb damage makes it in, what the problem_  Even if you get crippled you have an auto repair that initiates whenever you shut down.

So if anything, crippling an enemy or being crippled yourself would only be a short term setback.  

So if you get legged and are on the ground, provided your opponent doesn't finish you off, like if say you kill him from the ground or a friendly takes him out, you can just shut down till the leg works again and get back on your feet.
Mech time all the time

#69 Crow

Crow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted September 30 2011 - 07:19 PM

It would be kind of weird to be able to just magically restore a crippled leg like that so easily...

#70 Flyingdebris

Flyingdebris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 03 2011 - 02:05 PM

not any weirder than magically restoring all your armor.

so long as destroying a part still leaves the mangled remains attached, you can always fluff it as nanomachine repairs or something.  That way you aren't suddenly poofing a new arm or leg into existence, just restoring capability to a mangled one.
Mech time all the time

#71 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted October 04 2011 - 04:46 AM

This game looks a little too fast paced for having legs blown off, and weapons destroyed.

That said, how about when a certain part takes excessive damage, it has decreased performance/efficiency_
EG:

Weapon damage means they would overheat faster, so you'd have to compensate by picking your shots better, and less sustained fire.

Leg damage would mean your standard walking speed would be reduced, maybe even torso turn rate_

Jetpack damage would equate to lower total fuel, or higher consumption, or even longer recharge so you can't use it as much/often.

Torso (or maybe sensor unit (head_)) damage could equate to less effective items (as discussed in one of the videos, we can pick from a selection of items that have varying uses/effects)

Just some more ideas.
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

#72 Guru_Zeb

Guru_Zeb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted October 08 2011 - 08:13 AM

Nitris said:

This game looks a little too fast paced for having legs blown off, and weapons destroyed.

That said, how about when a certain part takes excessive damage, it has decreased performance/efficiency_
EG:

Weapon damage means they would overheat faster, so you'd have to compensate by picking your shots better, and less sustained fire.

Leg damage would mean your standard walking speed would be reduced, maybe even torso turn rate_

Jetpack damage would equate to lower total fuel, or higher consumption, or even longer recharge so you can't use it as much/often.

Torso (or maybe sensor unit (head_)) damage could equate to less effective items (as discussed in one of the videos, we can pick from a selection of items that have varying uses/effects)

Just some more ideas.

Dunno what you mean by "too fast paced for having legs blown off, and weapons destroyed" I have yet to encounter a game which is too fast for an average homo sapient to take a decent aimed shot.

So in not so many words your proposal is ........ 'limb damage'  :roll:
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of the Brew,
that thoughts acquire speed,
the teeth acquire stains,
the stains become a warning.
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

#73 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted October 10 2011 - 05:07 AM

Allow me to elaborate a touch;

What I mean by "Too fast paced" is, well... watch the gameplay trailer. Boosting, flying and running all over the map- these mechs are fast and agile.
It reminds me of Quake III. Have you played a similar game_ Losing the ability to move in such a game would make it practically impossible to do anything except stare up to the sky/ceiling.

I just can't see it meshing well with the rest of the gameplay.

That said having your mobility hindered slightly or halved, would at least mean you have a fighting chance should your legs take excessive damage.
It is still a viable tactical option to shoot for the legs- you will gain the advantage of higher mobility, which is a big advantage to have in a fast paced firefight.

Heh, I just imagined an entire team having their legs blown off and the other team just laughing as they moonwalk with the flag back to their base. Killing them means they can respawn with legs, and if they are immobilized then they pose no threat as they stare up into space.

I have just one request then, should my ideas be ignored and having your legs blown off is implemented. PLEASE have some sort of suicide/eject command or keybind. =D
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

#74 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted October 10 2011 - 11:11 AM

Well, my evolving opinion on this subject would go in the same promising direction as the one posted by Lava on page one. Additionally meaning with this that, at this moment  I'm not that opposed to the implementation of this or these mechanics in the game as I was months ago.

For example, if you absorve some heavy damage, which should have definitely killed you, and thanks to limb and/or jet-pack distributed damage, you end up surviving and having chances to extend your gameplay further then good. This was just to mention a case on here.

On the other hand, ad Flyingdebris mentioned before, where is the problem with extending repairs to these 2 systems_. It's just that I'd wait for the intrincacies and related implementations on the matter.

BTW, I'm somehow smelling certain Blog update flavour... Is it just me_ :D

Posted Image

#75 Flyingdebris

Flyingdebris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 13 2011 - 09:00 AM

the thing about limb damage that everybody likes to bring up is "just shoot the legs"

but isn't as simple as it sounds.

By shooting the legs, you are sacrificing the sure kill and natural ease of going directly for the center of mass, for a significantly harder to hit location that will only affect a target's mobility.  Made even harder by the fact that those legs are attached to a target that is jumping and running and jinking around like a balloon in a hurricane.

Not to mention having multiple damage zones allows players with good aim and reflexes to focus fire on one location to drastically ruin their opponent as fast as possible, but also allows players on the receiving end to develop tactics to last longer in a fight, like presenting fresh armor to an incoming attack, and keeping damaged equipment facing away from an opponent when possible.

This opens up much more of a higher potential skill ceiling than simply, "aim at their general outline and out-DPS them as fast as possible." with no importance given on where weapons are hitting.
Mech time all the time

#76 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted October 13 2011 - 11:12 AM

Just as side note: 1vs1 duels is a thing but 3vs1 fights is an other different thing. Hmm..

Posted Image

#77 FullDread

FullDread

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted October 13 2011 - 09:27 PM

Flyingdebris said:

the thing about limb damage that everybody likes to bring up is "just shoot the legs"

By shooting the legs, you are sacrificing the sure kill and natural ease of going directly for the center of mass, for a significantly harder to hit location that will only affect a target's mobility.  Made even harder by the fact that those legs are attached to a target that is jumping and running and jinking around like a balloon in a hurricane.

Not to mention having multiple damage zones allows players with good aim and reflexes to focus fire on one location to drastically ruin their opponent as fast as possible, but also allows players on the receiving end to develop tactics to last longer in a fight, like presenting fresh armor to an incoming attack, and keeping damaged equipment facing away from an opponent when possible.

This opens up much more of a higher potential skill ceiling than simply, "aim at their general outline and out-DPS them as fast as possible." with no importance given on where weapons are hitting.

I second this.

#78 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted October 18 2011 - 10:46 AM

At this stage of theorical thinking, what I'd suggest would be several levels of malfunction but never reaching a total breakdown of the mobility systems.

On the other hand, I'd like the idea of redirecting power from one system to an other. For instance, if you need or want to sacrifice firepower to temporarily improve the performance of one mobility system; especially jump-jets or jets-pack.

Posted Image

#79 SpudNick

SpudNick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted November 05 2011 - 03:07 AM

If you want to blow off an arm or a leg you should have to focus your fire on that limb. When you get a limb blown off by your enemy it should be done intentionally and not my mistake.

#80 V3RTIGO

V3RTIGO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted December 06 2011 - 02:23 PM

FullDread said:

Flyingdebris said:

I second this.

I THIRD THIS +++ if that can be done

Posted Image

"Humans are not rational, but rationalizing."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users