HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Limb damage_

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you like to see a limb-damage system_ (722 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see a limb-damage system_

1. Yes, arms and legs, all of it. (374 votes [59.84%])

Percentage of vote: 59.84%

2. Maybe a limited one. (141 votes [22.56%])

Percentage of vote: 22.56%

3. Nope, not at all. (110 votes [17.60%])

Percentage of vote: 17.60%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 JackDandy

JackDandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted April 21 2011 - 05:20 AM

Classic PC mecha games always included some sort of a limb damage system. You could cripple a guy's legs, blast off his weapon arms, and more.

I think mech games in general should have it, but considering this is more of an action game, it should be introduced in a somewhat limited way.
For example, shorter rocket-jet durations, gun jams, radar scrambled, etc. Some ways to repair them should be available.

What's your take on this_

#2 Zero

Zero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 06:43 AM

This is not a AAA title and in the video there was no limb damage, so I'm highly doubtful it will be implemented.

#3 shaken

shaken

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 07:13 AM

Zero said:

This is not a AAA title and in the video there was no limb damage, so I'm highly doubtful it will be implemented.

This isn't what the OP was asking.  Would you like limb damage in your mech game_

I think I would.  Being able to slow down that fast scout mech that is taking pot shots at me would be a very rewarding feeling.

#4 Superjudge

Superjudge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 07:15 AM

Given the speed and maneuverability of the vehicles, Hawken seems to be more in the vein of a Heavy Gear type game.  If I recall Heavy Gear 2 featured localized damage to the point of being able to disable a Gear without the destruction of it.

While I wouldn't mind seeing damage localization I don't know if it is a must.  Although it does add a different dimension to the tactics that you employ in battle.  I do like the idea of limited damage localization.  Judging from the videos there is already in place a shutdown sequence from heat build-up so this shouldn't be a big stretch.
Posted Image

#5 wyver1

wyver1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 07:19 AM

I'm keen.

but i understand if they are not able to put this feature in you never know it could be added on later on in modding

#6 Dahdah

Dahdah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Smokies

Posted April 21 2011 - 03:51 PM

Being an ex-Chromie, limb/weapon damage would be expected. I understand this is an XBL title, but surely if individual parts are added, they can be damaged individually as well. Some of my favorite kills in CH were those were you and an opponent were both down to one gun, duelling for position for the final shot before you got stripped yourself....good times, lol.

#7 lavalamp1138

lavalamp1138

Squadron Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 04:00 PM

Mech games from the past have shown us that "limb damage" can prove be a very neat little mechanic that may even surprise us in how dramaticly it influences the overall flow of the gameplay. However, as I have yet to witness a complete match involving Hawken's mechs, I must reserve judgment. Once I have a feel for game's intricacies and pacing, I can offer my thoughts on the matter. Until then, one can only dream. But oh how blissful those dreams can be. :D

#8 IV Lucidity

IV Lucidity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 04:53 PM

Definitely. Hawken, for me, is one of the most realistic mech games out there. For once, I'll actually be able to sit in the cockpit of a mech and pilot it instead of following it around in 3rd person. With that said, I want Hawken to be as realistic as possible; limb damage and all.
I come from The Flood.

#9 Dahdah

Dahdah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 04:59 PM

IV Lucidity said:

Definitely. Hawken, for me, is one of the most realistic mech games out there. For once, I'll actually be able to sit in the cockpit of a mech and pilot it instead of following it around in 3rd person. With that said, I want Hawken to be as realistic as possible; limb damage and all.

I can see it now: cracked windshield, gauges flashing red, mech limping with one good gun left, trying to catch that last wounded enemy. These are the signs of a good game, lol.

#10 Provi

Provi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 06:40 PM

While I usually appreciate realism, full on limb damage would just kill the fun.

If your legs or boosters are knocked out then you're stuck playing tower defense since you can't repair in the middle of a firefight. Not to mention losing arms or weapons...

That extent of realism is more for the simulation crowd rather than people who just want an action packed mech battle. :)

I would support limb damage if it only means losing speed and damage output from the effected parts. But from a development perspective I don't know if it's really worth it, especially for a team this size.

#11 NECRO1

NECRO1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 07:09 PM

Dahdah325 said:

IV Lucidity said:

I can see it now: cracked windshield, gauges flashing red, mech limping with one good gun left, trying to catch that last wounded enemy. These are the signs of a good game, lol.

Bingo.

Left leg is all busted, so you're limping around.  You're LMG was already blown off, and you think you have one more salvo of rockets.  But god damn it, the cockpit is all smokey, windshield cracked to shit.  And you know for a fact that there is someone out there.

And then...  [MISSILE LOCK] buzzes.

This game oozes potential for atmosphere.

#12 XeroKool

XeroKool

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 10:44 PM

NECRO said:

Dahdah325 said:

IV Lucidity said:

Bingo.

Left leg is all busted, so you're limping around.  You're LMG was already blown off, and you think you have one more salvo of rockets.  But god damn it, the cockpit is all smokey, windshield cracked to shit.  And you know for a fact that there is someone out there.

And then...  [MISSILE LOCK] buzzes.

This game oozes potential for atmosphere.

I agree 100% with all of you guys, I look at is like damage to your car in a racing game..it should just be in the game.

#13 XeroKool

XeroKool

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 10:45 PM

Provi said:

While I usually appreciate realism, full on limb damage would just kill the fun.

If your legs or boosters are knocked out then you're stuck playing tower defense since you can't repair in the middle of a firefight. Not to mention losing arms or weapons...

That extent of realism is more for the simulation crowd rather than people who just want an action packed mech battle. :)

I would support limb damage if it only means losing speed and damage output from the effected parts. But from a development perspective I don't know if it's really worth it, especially for a team this size.

where is it written in stone that you can not pop a repair kit in battle_

#14 aethernet

aethernet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Locationcyberspace

Posted April 21 2011 - 11:06 PM

Trust me, it sucks when you get an arm or two blown off. It's fun to do it to other people in game but it's not fun when it happens to you. I would much rather just have damage that is just for looks which gives you a visual cue to how much health the enemy has left. I believe AC has this as well, in the form of sparks and smoke coming out of your mech at low health. Also AC never had limb damage either. I'm very sure this is an intentional design decision.

If you get your arms blown off, your as good as dead. You can't shoot, so what are you going to do_ And you are much more likely to get an arm (or 2) blown off first than get reduced to low HP.

Furthermore, as human beings we are very much used to having both our arms available to us. I can just imagine people pulling the right trigger thinking they are going to shoot an enemy and then they realize they don't have that arm anymore.

In terms of functionality, you can think of it as reducing your HP to that of your limbs. Because once your limbs are gone, you're no longer useful. Sorry if that sounds politically incorrect but for mech combat at least that's how it goes.

@Damlee

If having no arms leaves you vulnerable as is, and repair mode leaves you vulnerable as well, well then why not cut out the middle man and not have limb damage_

I assume this limb damage concept is for increasing the realism of the game. But if you use repair mode to recover limbs and weapons out of hammerspace it's a bit... less realistic isn't it_
mecha srw anime vg gundam vocaloid touhou programming etc

#15 Swollen_Beef

Swollen_Beef

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 04:02 AM

Limb damage works in singleplayer. Not so much in multiplayer.
In multiplayer, the fights would come down to, who can disable who first. Everyone trying to cripple the leg, or booster, or remove arms so they can finish off the target at will. It can be argued that this is a tactical decision, But if both of your arms are blown off, leaving you with zero weapons, whats the point_

I dont see Hawken being made into a mech simulator.

This goes back to the "Im in a huge metal beast, i have a reasonable expectation that i can survive a few hits before i need to pick casket designs." argument.

#16 Dahdah

Dahdah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 05:36 AM

I guess the question of if/how to use a damage mechanic would depend on the game mode/types. If game types are a mix of strategic & tactical (something like CH war battles) damage can be a big factor. Mobility on a large map is crucial, so limiting your opponents speed thru damage was important. If battles are on a smaller scale, with in-match repawning, damage wouldn't be as important as going for the out-right kill.

Either way some sort of extended damage mechanic would be nice. I'd like to see weapon/mobility degradation before cockpit death. It forces players to think a couple steps ahead, rainsing the tension of the game.

#17 NECRO1

NECRO1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 09:08 AM

[quote name="Swollen_Beef"]... But if both of your arms are blown off, leaving you with zero weapons, whats the point_

quote]

I think perhaps the way to go would be to make your arm weapons less accurate, or misfunctional.  Completely blown off would be rather absurd.

Having a weapon all jammed up and misfiring could make things very interesting.  It won't put you out of the game totally like having an arm blown right off.  But it would make the rest of the match pretty crazy.

#18 Irrelevant

Irrelevant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 12:35 PM

I want to be able to trip a fast moving mech by shooting it in the legs, or temporarily disabling someones jetpack by shooting it there.
Maybe if you disable a mech's limbs they can run/jump/dodge much faster, so you have to judge if you will have the time to chase after it and finish it off before a teammate comes or it repairs itself.

Dude.... Mechbays!!!
Your running for your life, looking for help when you see a building in the distance, you approach it and shut down your mech, hoping the enemy wont spot you until repairs are complete.

#19 Dem

Dem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 05:42 PM

damlee said:

where is it written in stone that you can not pop a repair kit in battle_

Well, if you want to repair a mech realistically, then the pilot would be the one that has to make the repairs, and if the pilot is busy repairing the mech, how are they supposed to pilot it_
In essence, unless you want like a Halo CE/Reach type health pack system, then the mech would have to shut down to be repaired.

However, if people are truly set on some way to repair their mech, I think the best way would be for there to be some sort of automated repair stations somewhere on the maps that would heal you up, at least part-way.  This would be an easier way to put in repair mechanisms without having the pilot exit the mech, which could get complicated and detract from the overall quality of the game, but that's in another thread already ;)

#20 iiDeadSeriousii

iiDeadSeriousii

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 06:29 PM

How about overheating_

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users