HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Thread for those with FPS issues

Community Beta

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Vespian

Vespian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 02:46 PM

To further lower your graphics go to: C:\Users\Eric\Documents\My Games\Hawken\HawkenGame\Config and open up the .ini file named SystemSettings.

Here you'll find a list of different graphical settings with a value to their right, I'm going to tell you the values I changed in my SystemSettings file to help myself better run the game.

Keep in mind that if you change something and try to run the game and all you see is black or something similar to that effect you can set your SystemSettings to default by deleting all of the contents inside of the Config folder and restarting the game.

Anyway, here you go. Please share which settings you have changed or configurations you know of that will make the game run smoother as well.

DynamicLights=False
DynamicShadows=False
LightEnvironmentShadows=False
Motionblur=False
DepthOfField=False
AmbientOcclusion=False
Bloom=False
Distortion=False
FilteredDistortion=False
ScreenPercentage=100.000000 This can be changed to any value from 50-90. The lower it is, the lower resolution your game will be, but your interface and text will remain at what resolution you have set. Keep in mind this can mess up the position of your minimap/crosshairs in which case you would want to set it back at 100.

With these .ini adjustments and all of my in-game settings set to be as low as possible I still have sub-par FPS on every map besides Sahara with these PC specs:

Windows Vista 32 bit DirectX 10
Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
3326MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 Display Memory: 2.4GB Dedicated Memory: 1GB

#2 aethernet

aethernet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Locationcyberspace

Posted November 11 2012 - 05:14 PM

I max the settings and i usually play just fine until i go to a 16v16 map. Then the fps drops to be almost unplayable. Using a gtx 560 ti.
Does everyone get this_
mecha srw anime vg gundam vocaloid touhou programming etc

#3 SirMilagres

SirMilagres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationBrasil

Posted November 11 2012 - 06:10 PM

everythin on low, my pc don't suck and I  have constant drop of FPS
Best weapon on a zombie outbreak_ Mechs.

#4 NIGHTRAV3N

NIGHTRAV3N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 06:26 PM

haha it's funny because I literally have to turn down any kind of graphical intensive variable in order to get a decent playable experience. Though I still get some fps drops here and there; My box just happens to be a pretty old dual core media machine with an old ATI HD 2600XT ^_^

"God is not on the side of battalions, but on the side that shoots best"

#5 Saer

Saer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted November 11 2012 - 06:29 PM

View Postaethernet, on November 11 2012 - 05:14 PM, said:

I max the settings and i usually play just fine until i go to a 16v16 map. Then the fps drops to be almost unplayable. Using a gtx 560 ti.
Does everyone get this_

Ya the 32 player server is incredibly laggy, I usually have 50'ish ping on uswest servers but on that server I stay over 100.

#6 SUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS!

SUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS!

Technical Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted November 12 2012 - 01:09 AM

View PostVespian, on November 11 2012 - 02:46 PM, said:

3326MB RAM

Is this a laptop by chance_  

Even if it's not, it is worth mentioning that this game does have a minimum of 4gb of RAM requirement, so if you are getting crashes, then that is probably why.  

We're looking into modifying the graphical settings so there is more of a difference.  Currently the difference between medium and high settings are very small.  Performance is a top concern of ours, and we are going to continue to work hard until everyone is playing with a rock solid frame rate.  The maps are going through a major overhaul with Sahara up first, Sahara should function much better for closed beta 3, but other maps will have to wait until open beta.  

Thank you for your patience on this incredibly frustrating issue.

#7 Hotel6

Hotel6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationViệt Nam, HCMC.

Posted November 12 2012 - 02:11 AM

Try to run Hawken in windowed mode, it's helps.

#8 Tezkat

Tezkat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 03:10 AM

View Postaethernet, on November 11 2012 - 05:14 PM, said:

Does everyone get this_

Yeah, the 32 player servers totally murder game performance. Not just rubberbanding or teleporting around due to the terrible server pings, either... they have a marked effect on graphics as well.

I have a feeling it might have something to do, at least in part, with all the debris flying around. There's simply so much more of it with 32 players blowing everything up. There are fragments of rocks and mechs flying everywhere throughout the game, and even on low settings the ground is quite literally carpeted with rubble by the end of the match. I have a reasonably beefy gaming rig (GTX 670 GPU), and the 32 player rumbles usually start out at a playable 30-60 FPS even on high settings, and they just get progressively worse and worse until the end of the match is a 10 FPS slideshow. Interestingly, the level of graphics settings doesn't significantly influence the rate of performance degradation. Dropping settings down to low nets a fairly consistent 5-10 FPS gain throughout the match but does little for the steady overall decline in FPS.

I can't record/stream these matches. I tried jumping into the 32 player servers on stream once... with half my processor resources going to video encoding, I was getting a laughable 5-15 FPS the whole game.
Live Open Beta gameplay and commentary on twitch.tv/Tezkat...

More HAWKEN gameplay videos at Mech.TV.

#9 Vespian

Vespian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 10:06 AM

View Post[ADH]SUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS, on November 12 2012 - 01:09 AM, said:

3326MB RAM

Is this a laptop by chance_  

Even if it's not, it is worth mentioning that this game does have a minimum of 4gb of RAM requirement, so if you are getting crashes, then that is probably why.  

We're looking into modifying the graphical settings so there is more of a difference.  Currently the difference between medium and high settings are very small.  Performance is a top concern of ours, and we are going to continue to work hard until everyone is playing with a rock solid frame rate.  The maps are going through a major overhaul with Sahara up first, Sahara should function much better for closed beta 3, but other maps will have to wait until open beta.  

Thank you for your patience on this incredibly frustrating issue.

I have two 2GB sticks installed, I don't know why it reads at 3.3k MB

#10 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 10:56 AM

3326MB RAM

I would up that RAM.  I've essentially the same system, but with 6gig DDR3.  I play 1080, pretty much all max settings, and avg 30 fps while in fire fights.  I could tone some graphics down to increase my FPS, which would probably help me, but, I already win alot, so I haven't seen reason to lol

Win7 Ultimate 64bit
i7 920 @ 2.67GHz
6gig DDR3
GTX285
DX11

#11 SUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS!

SUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS!

Technical Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted November 12 2012 - 11:00 AM

View PostVespian, on November 12 2012 - 10:06 AM, said:

O that's because you have a 32 bit OS. I missed that when you originally posted.  Nothing you can do about that unless you upgrade to a 64bit OS.

#12 Inny

Inny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 11:08 AM

What.. the.. hell...

Correct me if I'm wrong but Devs have staff tags. Reported.

Edited by Inny, November 12 2012 - 11:10 AM.

#13 [HWK]Defter

[HWK]Defter

Senior Systems Engineer

• Adhesive Games
  • 104 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 11:14 AM

he is staff. no need to report.

#14 Vespian

Vespian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 11:24 AM

View Post[ADH]SUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS, on November 12 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

O that's because you have a 32 bit OS. I missed that when you originally posted.  Nothing you can do about that unless you upgrade to a 64bit OS.

So, do you think I'm going to be able to play the final version of the game with this 32 bit OS_

#15 Inny

Inny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 11:30 AM

In all honesty, the biggest issue you have is:

Windows Vista.
Vista is a known system resourse hog. And being stuck with the 32-bit version is even more painful, because there is nothing you can do about it. You could upgrade your RAM til the cows come home, and it won't make a bit of difference.

"One of the greatest advantages of using a 64-bit version of Windows Vista is the ability to access physical memory (RAM) that is above the 4-gigabyte (GB) range. This physical memory is not addressable by 32-bit versions of Windows Vista."
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946765

Edited by Inny, November 12 2012 - 11:37 AM.

#16 JuiceBox

JuiceBox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 11:31 AM

View PostVespian, on November 12 2012 - 11:24 AM, said:

View Post[ADH]SUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS, on November 12 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

So, do you think I'm going to be able to play the final version of the game with this 32 bit OS_

Not a chance. 64bit is pretty much mandatory for gaming these days if you to play with some visuals.

#17 SUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS!

SUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS!

Technical Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted November 12 2012 - 12:04 PM

We do, and will continue to, support 32bit OSes.  You may need to set your texture memory to lower settings to avoid crashing, but if you put everything at low it will, and for the foreseeable future, work.

#18 JuiceBox

JuiceBox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 12:26 PM

View Post[ADH]SUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS, on November 12 2012 - 12:23 PM, said:

double post.

Your name should be "support our troops"  otherwise looks like bad English :-p

#19 Roundlay

Roundlay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted November 12 2012 - 12:42 PM

I decided to move my Hakwen install directory over to a RAM disk for maximum orgasmically snappy load times and responsiveness, etc. If you have two and a bit gigs of RAM to spare this might be worth a look into!

#20 JuiceBox

JuiceBox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 01:00 PM

View PostRoundlay, on November 12 2012 - 12:42 PM, said:

I decided to move my Hakwen install directory over to a RAM disk for maximum orgasmically snappy load times and responsiveness, etc. If you have two and a bit gigs of RAM to spare this might be worth a look into!

Ram disks will only make the game load faster. It won't make joining games any better. N

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Community, Beta

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users