HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

You have lost the match!...

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 15 2012 - 03:57 PM

Heheheh.. may I pull you guys down a little bit from that ego constructed realm in which you seem to be flipping your custom Hawken pre-OB1 extasis byproduct based... cloud_

Lemme explain.. How the hell man can determine on whether such an event -unworthy of any public award or, IMHO, a banality- occurs due to connectivity issues, atmospheric conditions, compulsive Garage matters or just due to that hypothetical "ragequit" which seems to be feeding such a bizarre conception of yours about what awards and prizes should "whatever" in Hawken.

Maybe some few new chunks of code in order to report preys about their prosecutors on radar could be good idea too. Although something says me that this might well been considered up there already.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuh to you.. Darkpulse..  lol :P

P.S. Show Level&Rank info on players in  the TAB's window and let noobies to ragequit if required.. .)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#42 Phaaze

Phaaze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Location123 Mulburry St. Whoville Ontario Canada

Posted November 15 2012 - 04:13 PM

Posted Image

#43 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 15 2012 - 04:25 PM

*Meh.. I was just testing my poetry skills on here.. lol.
I won't anymore

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#44 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 15 2012 - 05:02 PM

View PostThe_Silencer, on November 15 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

Lemme explain.. How the hell man can determine on whether such an event -unworthy of any public award or, IMHO, a banality- occurs due to connectivity issues, atmospheric conditions, compulsive Garage matters or just due to that hypothetical "ragequit" which seems to be feeding such a bizarre conception of yours about what awards and prizes should "whatever" in Hawken.
The game's timeout delay for a connection is something like 30 seconds. Just shorten the "Ragequit detection" to like 15 seconds. This way, no false ragequits.

View PostThe_Silencer, on November 15 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

Maybe some few new chunks of code in order to report preys about their prosecutors on radar could be good idea too. Although something says me that this might well been considered up there already.
IIRC, if someone kills you at least five times (in a row_) they already get tagged as your Nemesis. You even get extra XP (75 XP, to be exact) if you kill them.

Edited by DarkPulse, November 15 2012 - 05:03 PM.

Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#45 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted November 16 2012 - 07:31 AM

I was creating this for another post, but i thought i would be relevant to the comment i made previously.
Attached File  Hawken pin up.jpg   89.94K   32 downloads

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#46 BeefC4ke

BeefC4ke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted November 16 2012 - 11:04 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 12 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

1st Place = Winning
2nd Place = Not winning
Not winning = Losing

I don't know, the message seems accurate to me.

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 14 2012 - 07:20 AM, said:

Participation Awards: Because apparently you don't have any sense of self worth and need mommy to tell you it's okay.

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 14 2012 - 09:54 AM, said:

View PostThe_Silencer, on November 14 2012 - 09:34 AM, said:

Additionally players scoring positions 2 and 3 should receive a message beneath the main msg too..
They didn't win.
Why to they deserve recognition_

'Nuff Said!
/Merf-isms - What will he come up with next_

dirtnapgaming.com

#47 Sinj

Sinj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationStamford, CT USA

Posted November 17 2012 - 07:28 PM

Either you win or you love there is no in between, if you feel you did a decent job then pat your self on the back just don't expect any recognition on screen to make ya feel better about almost being a winner.
Posted Image

#48 Dreizehn

Dreizehn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted November 17 2012 - 11:48 PM

I feel there is some validity to this complaint. In a Deathmatch, there's like 1 winner and how many losers_ Is that how you want to look at it_ It's not even a zero-sum game anymore, its a negative-sum game.

Where in team games, assuming teams are even - half loses, half wins. Zero-sum.

Having a placement message, or if they just cut the you win/you lose fuzzy bunny and just showed the scoreboard might be better.

#49 Subdivision

Subdivision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted November 18 2012 - 02:11 AM

Surely getting better and working to be on the top is something to actively work towards and aspire to_ Not something that is sugar coated along the way to make you feel ok with your sub-par performance. If I don't win a game, its my fault and I have to deal with that. Its that simple and I learnt this a while ago, I just say 'Cool! I need to learn some stuff and get better!' Keeps me interested and occupied in game. If it is really such a BIG deal to people then surely the reward when you reach first place is that much sweeter_ No_ People get too much stuff handed out to them and free these days, try earning something, it feels good when you do.

View PostDreizehn, on November 17 2012 - 11:48 PM, said:

I feel there is some validity to this complaint. In a Deathmatch, there's like 1 winner and how many losers_ Is that how you want to look at it_ It's not even a zero-sum game anymore, its a negative-sum game.

Where in team games, assuming teams are even - half loses, half wins. Zero-sum.

Having a placement message, or if they just cut the you win/you lose fuzzy bunny and just showed the scoreboard might be better.

Talking about deathmatch, it says 'You lose' or whatever. Ok, so you came in third, therefore you lose to two people and win against the other nine! It's not a negative sum game, its a zero-sum again. Top equals bottom, Second top equals second bottom and so forth. Sorry but if you didn't come first, you didn't win the match by any means, but you didn't lose it entirely unless you come in last obviously.The game should always recognise the winning player, saying they shouldn't is like saying the Olympics shouldn't have medal ceremonies. Why play the game_ Sure its fun but what are you achieving each game_ What are you progressing towards_ Another mech_ Ok, and what after that, the game needs targets and goals for each game as well as for your overall progression. By working on the smaller game by game stuff, it helps you attain the larger goals laid out before you which are much harder to tackle without that break down or help.

Edited by Subdivision, November 18 2012 - 02:13 AM.

Posted Image

#50 Borderlands25

Borderlands25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted November 18 2012 - 09:18 AM

Talking about deathmatch, it says 'You lose' or whatever. Ok, so you came in third, therefore you lose to two people and win against the other nine! It's not a negative sum game, its a zero-sum again.

Yes but would you like to have the same message saying " You lose" or whatever, Instead have a more constructive message that make them want to play and achive more_ Have somthink like "You lost the match, Better luck next time" Somthink along them lines. Make the person on the other side feel like hes/shes done their best and not make him/her fell like fuzzy bunny.

Edited by Borderlands25, November 18 2012 - 09:21 AM.

#51 Borderlands25

Borderlands25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted November 18 2012 - 09:26 AM

View PostThe_Silencer, on November 15 2012 - 04:25 PM, said:

*Meh.. I was just testing my poetry skills on here.. lol.
I won't anymore

You made a fair point though :D

#52 Subdivision

Subdivision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted November 18 2012 - 10:01 AM

View PostBorderlands25, on November 18 2012 - 09:18 AM, said:

Yes but would you like to have the same message saying " You lose" or whatever, Instead have a more constructive message that make them want to play and achive more_ Have somthink like "You lost the match, Better luck next time" Somthink along them lines. Make the person on the other side feel like hes/shes done their best and not make him/her fell like fuzzy bunny.

No I'd rather have You lose. 'Better luck next time' is so patronising. You should know yourself if you have done your best. You shouldn't need pampering. A single game isn't even that big a deal. There isn't money at steak or anything like that. You don't actually lose anything. The type of message you are suggesting isn't 'constructive'. A constructive comment would be 'work on your aim' or something like that. Better luck next time is a fairly empty sentiment coming from generically programmed in messages in game. Nobody is actually saying that to you, just like nobody is actually telling you you've lost. If anything, it should just say 'So-and-so wins' to avoid all this needless controversy.

Edited by Subdivision, November 18 2012 - 10:01 AM.

Posted Image

#53 3Jane

3Jane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted November 18 2012 - 10:12 AM

Of course there's money in steak.

#54 Subdivision

Subdivision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted November 18 2012 - 11:56 AM

At first I thought you said:

View Post3Jane, on November 18 2012 - 10:12 AM, said:

Of course there's money at steak.

So got confused, what money_
Then I'd realised I misread and it was actually:

View Post3Jane, on November 18 2012 - 10:12 AM, said:

Of course there's money in steak.

Now I'm still confused :huh: haha

Posted Image

#55 3Jane

3Jane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted November 18 2012 - 12:15 PM

People gotta eat D:

Edit: Match ending screen for DM really does need some work (:

Edited by 3Jane, November 18 2012 - 12:27 PM.

#56 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 18 2012 - 12:33 PM

View PostSubdivision, on November 18 2012 - 10:01 AM, said:

No I'd rather have You lose. 'Better luck next time' is so patronising.
Oh, other games were much more blunt about your failure, back in the day...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Last one gives me chills to this day.

Edited by DarkPulse, November 18 2012 - 12:39 PM.

Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#57 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted November 19 2012 - 08:23 AM

I do think that second and third deserve special mention, at least on their screen.

They're generally the only competition with whoever is in first. Everybody else is fodder.

#58 Dread_Lord_Pitr

Dread_Lord_Pitr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationColumbia Internet

Posted November 19 2012 - 12:17 PM

Either you win or you lose.
Players that feel they should be catered to or pampered because they lost really need to stop playing competitive games.

I love what George Carlin said on this :

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. -George Orwell's Animal Farm
BEGIN Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK
GCS d_ s: a- C++++ UL++++ P+++ L++++ E--- W+(++) N++ o+++ K+++ w--- !O M-- V-- PS+++ PE+++ Y(++) PGP+++ t* 5(-) X R- tv- b- DI-- D- G++ e++ h* r% y_
END Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK

#59 Borderlands25

Borderlands25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 01:28 PM

View PostSubdivision, on November 18 2012 - 10:01 AM, said:

View PostBorderlands25, on November 18 2012 - 09:18 AM, said:

No I'd rather have You lose. 'Better luck next time' is so patronising. You should know yourself if you have done your best. You shouldn't need pampering. A single game isn't even that big a deal. There isn't money at steak or anything like that. You don't actually lose anything. The type of message you are suggesting isn't 'constructive'. A constructive comment would be 'work on your aim' or something like that. Better luck next time is a fairly empty sentiment coming from generically programmed in messages in game. Nobody is actually saying that to you, just like nobody is actually telling you you've lost. If anything, it should just say 'So-and-so wins' to avoid all this needless controversy.

You may think so but there are more less competitive players out there that would prefer a softer let down rather than "you lose" Look at Halo 3, At the end of the match it would say Red or Blue Team wins, Game over. Its not directed at the player personaly where as You lose is.

Edited by Borderlands25, November 20 2012 - 01:29 PM.

#60 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 20 2012 - 03:11 PM

Hey naysayers! .. Have you played the CB3_ Yes_ Then eat that! lol :P

Now seriously.. Very glad with the cool changes! ;)

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users