HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Thinking about optimization

Game

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AndrewFox_TOR

AndrewFox_TOR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 07:44 AM

My Configuration
ASUS M5A78L-M LX V2 ( bios 1201 ), AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition ( 3.4gh core ), 8 gb ddr3 ( 1333mh ), Gigabyte GTX 660-Ti, Acer v203hl, 1600x900, Driver 306.97, Seagate 640, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64

Vsync ON, All settings to Max
FPS when Fight - 10-15
FPS when Do not move - 60 ( If you didn't look in the center of the map )
FPS when Do not move - 25-35 ( If you look in the center of the map )

Vsync ON, All settings to Minimum
FPS when Fight - 10-35
FPS when Do not move - 60 ( If you didn't look in the center of the map )
FPS when Do not move - 30-35 ( If you look in the center of the map )

Vsync OFF, All settings to Max
FPS when Fight - 20-35
FPS when Do not move - 100+ ( If you didn't look in the center of the map )
FPS when Do not move - 25-30 ( If you look in the center of the map )

Vsync OFF, All settings to Minimum
FPS when Fight - 25-38
FPS when Do not move - 100+ ( If you didn't look in the center of the map )
FPS when Do not move - 30-35 ( If you look in the center of the map )

CPU Temperature - 72* Celsius in game... ( In other games 52-54 )
GPU Temperature - 48* Celsius in game

Even at 40 FPS - the picture seems too intermittent, play becomes quite uncomfortable

Increase FPS if - Disable desktop composition and Set priority ( to Minimum or Max )
We strongly recommend that developers ask for help in optimization ( including optimization of consumption of CPU resources and of the appeal of the game to the CPU ) the manufacturer of the graphics engine. Now, according to my data - the optimization problem is in the application with CPU and processing of the in-game map.

Sry 4 my english - I use online translator. ( I am Russian )

#2 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 13 2012 - 11:12 AM

Optimization is one of the last steps to finishing a game. Make it work, then make it fancy.

Be patient. Optimization will happen.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#3 AndrewFox_TOR

AndrewFox_TOR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 08:50 AM

View PostElix, on November 13 2012 - 11:12 AM, said:

Optimization is one of the last steps to finishing a game. Make it work, then make it fancy.

Can you officially present some ways to manually optimize the game at this stage_

#4 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 14 2012 - 09:44 AM

I can't officially anything. I'm not an employee of either Adhesive or Meteor. There are certain tweaks you can make to the ini files to lessen the graphics load, but at this point, the game has some severe performance problems on the CPU, and I haven't found anything in the settings that can reduce that.

See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.

#5 Aelieth

Aelieth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationShawnee, Oklahoma or Nagoya, Japan

Posted November 14 2012 - 10:23 AM

View PostAndrewFox_TOR, on November 14 2012 - 08:50 AM, said:

View PostElix, on November 13 2012 - 11:12 AM, said:

Can you officially present some ways to manually optimize the game at this stage_

Maps are the key to optimization. How the programmers tell the map what to be rendered and at what time, when and where. My friend and I were working on a game, basically doing a mod for it. On the map creation we had to set areas of the map to be rendered, or not rendered, based on point of view from where the person was.

Titan is new, many of the maps are just now getting textures. Optimization is still in the process and will continue to be as it is released. League of Legends is another example, they redid some of their maps and things for more optimization.

As Elix said, the creation is the first big step. Squashing bugs and optimization are difficult from a programmer's perspective. They're all small and take a lot of needling out to trap bugs, optimize memory, and determine how to render parts of maps efficiently.
Posted Image
Seriously suicidal scrapheap operator

#6 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 14 2012 - 12:08 PM

Well, there's optimizing the maps, and then there's refining the code to weed out inefficiencies and pointless activity. For example, when Valve ported L4D2 to OpenGL, they discovered they achieved 10% better performance in OpenGL than in the original DirectX implementation, and they discovered that a particular function in DirectX was essentially being very wasteful, and they were able to trim it down.

You don't want to get into this sort of polishing and optimization until you know that you've got code that works and is solid. Because if you have to pull it apart next week, you've utterly wasted any work you made in polishing it to look nice because now it's been ripped in two again.

Edited by Elix, November 14 2012 - 12:08 PM.

#7 Aelieth

Aelieth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationShawnee, Oklahoma or Nagoya, Japan

Posted November 14 2012 - 12:51 PM

Yeah, the code will be refined as time moves on as well, I'm sure of this. Many of us that were here since Alpha definitely know that the game is still being worked on and developed. There is no doubt in my mind that it will speed up in the future. Was tying to give an example using the maps, but they'll definitely come back to the underlying code if the game takes off well.
Posted Image
Seriously suicidal scrapheap operator

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users