HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Map needs a buff [CBE2 edition]

Beta

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Culex

Culex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 12:12 PM

Original thread is found here:
http://community.pla...p-needs-a-buff/

I reposted here because it became buried in the CBE1 category which has become mostly obsolete.

View PostCulex, on October 30 2012 - 12:53 PM, said:

I really like the idea of the map, mainly for gametypes Missile and Siege. It can be useful for checking which nodes your allies are at or where they are going. VOIP helps a lot, but if your ally is off the radar and kiting, one should be able to quickly and easily pull up the map and know exactly where to go. I rarely if ever use it in its current state, however. The two biggest problems I see are:
  • It disables any movement when you pull it up. This makes it feel very static, and come on if a mech can fire weapons and use items and move at the same time, pulling up a map over the HUD should be cake. Best times to use this would be when exiting out of base and walking forward, checking where you are needed most. This gives players more strategy. And under no circumstances is it a good idea to pull it up when you are at possible range of any enemy because you become a sitting duck (I can understand your vision being occupied-this would be the natural downside). It just doesn't feel useful if you can't check it while getting to where you need to be. Edit: Also not to mention there's basically a global cooldown effect to pulling it up/taking it down, which doesn't help.
  • The player names with lines leading to their arrows is straining and annoying. While checking the map, it shouldn't take more than a couple mere seconds to read where each of your allies are. With the line method, it feels like one of the maze games trying to see where they end up. It takes up way more time and effort to see which arrow is which. I can understand that the devs maybe didn't want to have nameplates over the player arrows covering up space/each other, but I think if done correctly it would still be a vast improvement. Heck, even putting a legend of each of your allies and having a separate color for each person with their arrow being that color could work.
Those are just my thoughts.

It seems as if the only thing they changed in regards to the map is the ability to set a Focus Point. I like the idea of this feature.
None of the above suggestions have been implemented yet, and I have a few more in addition now.
  • There needs to be a bindable key for Set Focus Point or even just a right click on the map would do. Currently, you have to manually mouse click the "Set Focus Point' button, then click on a part of the map.This would really cut down on the time it takes and the annoyance factor (one-click vs two-click process with delay because your mouse cursor has to travel more distance). In a game where timing is everything, there should not be unnecessary delays.
  • Orient your team base on the map to be in the bottom portion (pushing up). When opening the map, I think it always shows your team and your base on the top part of the map, pushing south (or maybe it's just if you end up a particular team-Sentium or Prosk, not entirely sure-but I always recall my team being on the north portion of the map chart). I'd recommend a change so that no matter which team you're on, the map lists your team in the south portion pushing up (similar to the way the current radar isn't locked), if that makes sense. It's much easier to gather information on positioning this way. Most people will coordinate with each other via voip via "enemies coming up via the left side, right rooftop, etc." and if you're on your way there you could open your map to quickly see your allies positioning and act based on that information they provided. With the current system, you have to reverse all your directions and its more complicated than it has to be.
  • Allow the map to be viewable while depositing EU in the airlifter at base. It still doesn't let you open the map. I feel like this is one of the most opportune times to read the map because you can't really do anything but sit and wait for the collect. This will then give you direction on where you should head if you use map positioning to your advantage.
TL,DR;
Allow mech movement while the map is displayed. Rework it so it doesn't have lines leading to names. Allow a bindable key for Set Focus Point or even have it set to right-mouse click. Allow the map to be viewable while depositing EU in the airlifter at base. Last but really important, have the map display your team's base at the south and enemy team's base at the north part of the map.

Edited by Culex, November 14 2012 - 02:27 PM.

I am matter... I am antimatter... I can see your past... I can see your future...

I consume time... And I will consume you!
Posted Image

#2 Culex

Culex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 05:09 PM

Summary of replies from original thread. People want the map reworked!

Spoiler

I am matter... I am antimatter... I can see your past... I can see your future...

Posted Image

#3 Sparkard

Sparkard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 12:21 AM

+1

#4 Lithium03

Lithium03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted November 14 2012 - 12:37 AM

You can move with map up, because it has a mouse you can't aim, but you can still move.

#5 WhosYourPappa

WhosYourPappa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 12:38 AM

Maybe a feature where a "commander" can have the ability to assign way-points and focus points for different members and squads.

#6 Culex

Culex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 12:01 PM

View PostLithium03, on November 14 2012 - 12:37 AM, said:

You can move with map up, because it has a mouse you can't aim, but you can still move.

Are you positive_ I know in CBE1 you couldn't, and I may not have been paying that close of attention in CBE2 to see if I could move, but I thought not. If I remember correctly you still would have to come to a complete stop before you can even open it.

View PostWhosYourPappa, on November 14 2012 - 12:38 AM, said:

Maybe a feature where a "commander" can have the ability to assign way-points and focus points for different members and squads.

While in coordinated play anyone can use the set focus point, I don't feel it's needed because whoever wants to lead can be the one to use it exclusively if he wishes. Multiple waypoints are interesting in theory but with as fast as the gameplay is, it may not be necessary (right now the one we have is barely used).

Posted Image

#7 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 14 2012 - 12:43 PM

View PostLithium03, on November 14 2012 - 12:37 AM, said:

I distinctly opened my map and then was unable to walk in my mech during CBE2.

And the map could be used in team modes as a way of calling for a rally point. The "request assistance" button only kind of vaguely helps your team spot you, and it's really not easy to tell why someone is calling for help unless they then get on voice chat and scream about the three infils and a brawler making their life miserable at the AA. It leaves the question of who would be able to get a marker point on the map, but the concept in general has value.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#8 Etan

Etan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationMInnesota

Posted November 14 2012 - 07:34 PM

I am fairly sure you cant move with map open and i would like to be able to do this during travel to read a situation. Unless its intentional to make one person sit out a fight and look at their map and die to a SS.
Posted Image

#9 OverWolf

OverWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • LocationMy mech, kicking back with fine wine.

Posted November 14 2012 - 08:12 PM

Indeed, you can't move with the map open, it seems.  It makes no sense that you can't, which is why this should definitely be fixed.

I'm in full support of the hotkey for Focus Points and movement.  I may be being nitpicky when I address the showing the map at the base, however.  I wonder if, at least for the duration in which you're depositing your EU, your mech is--realistically speaking--temporarily shut down in order to ensure safe delivery of the energy from mech to battleship_ Which would explain why the map, and any other element of the UI for that matter, isn't shown during that time.

Besides from that, I wouldn't mind in the slightest.  The more awareness you have of the map, the better, and I can't see any harm this would impose were it implemented.

Edited by OverWolf, November 14 2012 - 08:13 PM.

Posted Image
This is the Prelude to a New Revolution
Main Mech: Brawler; Secondary Mech: SharpShooter

#10 Culex

Culex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted November 18 2012 - 07:45 PM

Really hope at least some of these changes get into CBE3! *crosses fingers*

Posted Image

#11 BeefC4ke

BeefC4ke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted November 18 2012 - 10:52 PM

Make the thing deploy faster too. Right now it takes ~1 second to come up which is a little ridiculous. I get the immersion factor but I want it to be useful too.
/Merf-isms - What will he come up with next_

dirtnapgaming.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beta

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users