HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Why i think Hawken's atrocious leveling and upgrade system might kill the game

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#81 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMission Control

Posted November 19 2012 - 04:25 PM

View PostTheChaffeemancer, on November 19 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

View PostAce4225, on November 19 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

View PostLordofNosgoth, on November 19 2012 - 06:31 AM, said:

Heresy

Mechwarrior may have been more sim-like, but NEVER clunky. There's tons of strategy even in single-player [as you really have to keep your lance well-balanced] I dare you to call my game-breaking Thor "clunky" and see what happens.

Hawken is quite fun.. but I can't say it's a better game. The Battletech mechlab system was a genius of balance between heat, firepower, armor, and speed imo... not to mention TONS of weapons to pick from.. yet never one mech variant that could totally outperform other variants.

Jump and shoot gauss mechs are a myth perpetuated by butt-hurt Inner Sphere surats.

haha. Actually, my favorite Thor [I made over 20 decent variants] was packin' ATMs like crazy; did more damage than LRMs, and since they were 20-racks, AMS couldn't stop em either. :)

Edited by Ace4225, November 19 2012 - 04:26 PM.

Posted Image
US East    -Brawler   -Berserker   -Scout   -Assault
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#82 Timber_Wolf

Timber_Wolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted November 19 2012 - 04:54 PM

View PostTheChaffeemancer, on November 19 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

View PostAce4225, on November 19 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

View PostLordofNosgoth, on November 19 2012 - 06:31 AM, said:

Heresy

Mechwarrior may have been more sim-like, but NEVER clunky. There's tons of strategy even in single-player [as you really have to keep your lance well-balanced] I dare you to call my game-breaking Thor "clunky" and see what happens.

Hawken is quite fun.. but I can't say it's a better game. The Battletech mechlab system was a genius of balance between heat, firepower, armor, and speed imo... not to mention TONS of weapons to pick from.. yet never one mech variant that could totally outperform other variants.

Jump and shoot gauss mechs are a myth perpetuated by butt-hurt Inner Sphere surats.

Clan Wolf.  All day everyday.
Chicks dig giant robots.

#83 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted November 19 2012 - 07:13 PM

Dual LBX-AC 20s man.

You will be knocked over by my alpha strike.

#84 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted November 19 2012 - 07:20 PM

that's assuming you can get in range of my jump jet-equipped, 360-degree torso-rotation, ATM-packin' Thor. :D

Ah.... good times....

Edited by Ace4225, November 19 2012 - 07:21 PM.

Posted Image
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#85 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted November 19 2012 - 07:23 PM

I did manage some epic alpha-strikes in my day too...

4 LBX-AC 10s + 2 LBX-AC 20s [I think] on a Dragoon..
4 PPCs [on something... can't remember lol]
3 Gauss Rifles [on a Daishi, I think..]

Posted Image
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#86 SystemiK

SystemiK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 04:15 PM

I have never seen such honest and open feedback from a dev.  I gotta tell you it warms my cold steel heart to see this kind of transparancy from a developer.  So proud to be a part of this game launch....
There is no time like time wasted...

#87 my0s

my0s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 04:12 PM

+1

Exactly my thoughts on this game as well.  Adding +3% bullet dmg as a main source of "customization" its exteremely lackluster and is entirely unnoticeable given the pace of the game.

The tech trees are fine, standard min/max routes of particular areas of strength.  I have no problem with them, they resemble the purpose of them in League of Legends and feel it fits in well enough here.

However LoL has items in game to as customization and strengths/weaknesses to your character.  This game has no such system.  Therefore it is very important that the Dev team realize that to counter this they are going to need to add a lot of depth to the mech loadout and weapon upgrades.  Just getting +1 primary weapon because I hit level 5 is about as bland as it gets.

Great base game they have built here, plays very well and surpassed my expectations going into it.  But the menu UI overall, and especially the customization leaves a LOT to be desired.  And I don't want to say it will kill the game if released in its current state, but I also wouldn't be surprised to find out that it does.  At the very least, its holding back a game that otherwise has a ton of potential.

#88 MajorStewie

MajorStewie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 04:48 PM

ia ike world of tank's tech tree

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users