HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Why i think Hawken's atrocious leveling and upgrade system might kill the game

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#41 Einherjar13

Einherjar13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 06:30 PM

This sounds great. I was going to comment on the OPs point about optimizations stacking too much at higher levels. I personally view them in a similar way as LoL's talent tree, convenient but not game changing. I agree also agree with a lot of the posters saying the HP cost of a mech and internals is too high. My thought was this: what if when you buy a mech, you get included your choice to fill EACH internal slot. That way you wouldn't be at a huge disadvantage in a new mech, but if you wanted more customization (like maybe you picked HE charge to start, but now you want to try MG Turret) it would cost you.

#42 marshalade

marshalade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationGasland, Pa, USA

Posted November 14 2012 - 07:56 PM

View Post[ADH]Saunders, on November 14 2012 - 03:26 AM, said:

For reference, as I begin to write this post it's 2AM, and I usually arrive at work at 8AM - if that gives you any indication of how important I think this is; this is literally something I think about almost 24/7.

Hey! You sound like me, only we're on opposite sides of this test...

I suppose I don't even need to comment on everything that post contained outside of saying I'm absolutely ecstatic for everything you just mentioned.

I'm happy with the booster system as it stands now, but I'd be open to any changes at all.

Thank you for all of your hard work, and thank you very much for the input, it makes us feel appreciated!

Edited by marshalade, November 14 2012 - 07:57 PM.

Posted Image
A tidal wave of marshalade...

#43 Saunders

Saunders

Game Designer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 08:15 PM

You guys are amazing :D  Thx for all the awesome comments, you've totally made my day.
David Saunders | Game Designer on HAWKEN @ Adhesive Games

#44 Derf

Derf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Locationfar far away

Posted November 14 2012 - 08:19 PM

this post addressed pretty much all of my concerns about the meta. i love the in-game, but the whole leveling experience needs the updates you talk about here.

my only remaining concerns have already been mentioned.

leveling a new mech feels really really bad. for example i have a level 20 assault and wanted to start leveling a brawler, but without all the upgrades and internals it felt more or less unplayable. is there some way to have a resource pool_ like if you unlock the repair kit internal once you can use it on any of your mechs_

only having two of each item is rather frustrating, and i agree with the earlier suggestion of having items regenerate after a certain number of kills.

o and ps, there is still a place in sahara where your mech can get somewhat stuck on a wall, and there are places on each map where it looks like you should be able to walk over a little elevation change but you can't. knee high ledges are now my sworn enemies.
Go then, there are other worlds than these.

#45 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMission Control

Posted November 14 2012 - 08:36 PM

View PostHipnox, on November 13 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

• You can't buy weapons, you have to buy an entire mech
As if i even have to tell you why this feels so wrong.

Umm... yes you can buy weapons. It's called reach lvl 20.

and as for your "opinion" that low-level mechs are outclassed by higher-level ones, this is not true.

I know guys that beat everyone with a lvl 2 mech. I've BEEN the lvl 2 mech that beat lvl 15 mechs. Please explain how your opinion is still valid.

Posted Image
US East    -Brawler   -Berserker   -Scout   -Assault
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#46 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 14 2012 - 09:12 PM

View Post[ADH]Saunders, on November 14 2012 - 08:15 PM, said:

You guys are amazing :D  Thx for all the awesome comments, you've totally made my day.
No, sir. Thank YOU for being awesome and actually taking time to not only read these things, but to give detailed, clear explanations as to what you like, don't like, agree with, and disagree with.

Posts like the ones you leave make me confident in knowing you're going to bust your fuzzy bunnies to make this game work, succeed, and be fun as possible. And frankly, that's all the difference in the world. Since you guys are no doubt under massive crunch time, these sorts of things are breaths of fresh air.

Take it away, Taiga-sensei!

Posted Image

Edited by DarkPulse, November 14 2012 - 09:13 PM.

Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#47 Derf

Derf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Locationfar far away

Posted November 14 2012 - 11:01 PM

View PostAce4225, on November 14 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

I know guys that beat everyone with a lvl 2 mech. I've BEEN the lvl 2 mech that beat lvl 15 mechs. Please explain how your opinion is still valid.

i've been that level 2 mech too, but comparing my level 20 mech to my level 2 mech makes it really obvious how much the little boosts from internals, upgrades, and weapon levels add up. i'll go from around a 1.0 k/d in the level 2 up to around a 1.75 k/d in the level 20 if i switch during a game.
Go then, there are other worlds than these.

#48 S1LV3R

S1LV3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted November 14 2012 - 11:44 PM

That post made my day :) Ty Saunders.

EDIT:
What about if you can use matchmaking in group with a low lvl mate, and you are lvl 20_ Just wondering.

Edited by S1LV3R, November 14 2012 - 11:46 PM.

#49 Sparkard

Sparkard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 11:46 AM

I'd just want to say that i strongly agree with what KejiGoto said.

#50 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 01:58 PM

• High level mechs have too many advantages over low level ones:

I was playing as a level 15 assault the other day in a DM, some dude was bitching because he thought it unfair that I was "so high a level".  So I logged on to my other account and played as a level 0 assault.  I still won.

I have a level 20 SS that I'll generally wind up ending a match with an astronomical KD ratio (no, I don't sit behind everyone stealing kills, I'm a front line fighter with the SS).  So I decided to test the level difference between a level 20 and 0 SS.  I logged on to my other account, level 0 SS, same KD at the end.

While there is a difference between levels, it's far from being game breaking.

#51 TheChaffeemancer

TheChaffeemancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 02:05 PM

Though Kiwi will say, he thinks, even now, the optimizations can be made useable, but why don't we give everyone the same amount of points from the get-go_ Perhaps unlocking chassis specific optimizations or something as you level the chassis.
Beep beep, Kiwi's a Chaffeemancer.

#52 byaafacehead

byaafacehead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 05:37 PM

Im so excited

#53 BolterJustice

BolterJustice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 08:34 PM

I think a level playing field is called for when lvl 1 mechs are killed by a lvl higher than themselves , the next spawn can become a Copy Loadout if killed by the same type mech. This way it gives the lvl 1 mech for example a one life run at the lvl 10 or 20 mech.It then can get the point system moving a little faster for the new guys.... make sense_ Also would like to see more turretts and different kinds,laser,plasma,etc when making kills the kill goes to the mech that  used it. Shields ,generators ect, the possibilities are numerous . Shooting off the weapon from the mech can also help in leveling game play for some lower level mechs survival. This can be done by some type of hit counter on the weapon ,after being hit so mant times the weapon will explode or fall off etc...It has been done before , even as far back as Star Seige in the 90's ...Yes I go back that far,lol.. to the Dev's I tip my hat , you guys are doing a extraordinary job and are in touch with the Community, keep up the good work.....

#54 NYPD

NYPD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted November 16 2012 - 09:00 AM

Love all the talk going on here. Makes me feel happy things will be changing for the best.

I think certain servers can be locked to lower levels (1-8 for example). This could help reduce the impact that some of the lower leveled players feel in terms of fairness. It would be pointless, however, If a game got so balanced that there was no real difference between a lvl 1 & a max level. Might as well not level up then.

Alienware X51 | i7 3770 Ivy Bridge | EVGA GTX 670 FTW | 8 GB RAM | Astro A40

Posted Image

#55 Subdivision

Subdivision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted November 16 2012 - 09:09 AM

View PostAce4225, on November 14 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

• You can't buy weapons, you have to buy an entire mech
As if i even have to tell you why this feels so wrong.

Umm... yes you can buy weapons. It's called reach lvl 20.

and as for your "opinion" that low-level mechs are outclassed by higher-level ones, this is not true.

What we are talking about in this thread is the issue when balanced players, ie players of the same skill level play off. If one has a higher level mech that is fully kitted out and the other is a blank zero, the upgraded one will always win. This is a hypothetical situation where essentially someone would be playing themselves to make it so each  mech was pilotted by an identically skilled pilot but you get the idea. The suggested changes to be implemented will balance this out by making trade-off's for benefits gained, meaning new players jumping into the game aren't going to be purely out classed by a high tech mech.
Also, don't call people out like that, its rude. If someone wishes to express their opinion you can't say its wrong by stating your opinion as fact (and just so you know, your opinion isn't fact). This is an open forum and a place where we can all express our opinions and discuss what is best for the game going forward.

View PostRedVan, on November 15 2012 - 01:58 PM, said:

• High level mechs have too many advantages over low level ones:

I was playing as a level 15 assault the other day in a DM, some dude was bitching because he thought it unfair that I was "so high a level".  So I logged on to my other account and played as a level 0 assault.  I still won.

I have a level 20 SS that I'll generally wind up ending a match with an astronomical KD ratio (no, I don't sit behind everyone stealing kills, I'm a front line fighter with the SS).  So I decided to test the level difference between a level 20 and 0 SS.  I logged on to my other account, level 0 SS, same KD at the end.

While there is a difference between levels, it's far from being game breaking.

Again, that's a player skill gap that will occur less frequently with more people playing. Even if the level gap doesn't break the game, it can ruin it for poorer players and especially brand new ones. The game has to welcome new players in order for it to grow and flourish. I'd hate to be in a game that discourages new players and gives them a cliff face to climb as soon as they do if they wish to process and better themselves.

Edited by Subdivision, November 16 2012 - 09:11 AM.

Posted Image

#56 KejiGoto

KejiGoto

Scruffy Lookin' Nerf Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted November 16 2012 - 09:12 AM

I'm still amazed more development studios don't engage their fan base on a level like this to help improve their products. Gamers, typically, are a rather vocal bunch and we're usually willing to talk, give ideas, and other input to help improve the games we play. I just don't get why more don't do this because you can clearly see the game improving and the fans are quite pleased with the results as well.

Can't tell you how often I see games release and the fans go "THIS ISN'T WHAT WE WANTED AT ALL!!! WHAT THE HELL -insert company name here-_!_!"

In this day and age where I can literally be anywhere and still manage to post online why aren't more making use of these lines of communication_

Posted Image

#57 TemperWolf

TemperWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted November 16 2012 - 09:18 AM

I made a post just like this weeks ago and didn't get nearly enough positive feedback as this guy! Instead I just got flamed!_ What's wrong yo_

#58 TheChaffeemancer

TheChaffeemancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted November 16 2012 - 09:34 AM

View PostSubdivision, on November 16 2012 - 09:09 AM, said:

Again, that's a player skill gap that will occur less frequently with more people playing. Even if the level gap doesn't break the game, it can ruin it for poorer players and especially brand new ones. The game has to welcome new players in order for it to grow and flourish. I'd hate to be in a game that discourages new players and gives them a cliff face to climb as soon as they do if they wish to process and better themselves.

World of Tanks does something similar to this (though please, just look at the idea, don't copy the implementation). Tier 1 tanks only fight tier 1 tanks, barring stupidity on the driver's part. Of course, the system gets kinda broken beyond that, but at the start, new players fight new players, or at least players with equitable kit. Here's hoping the matchmaking can pull off similar feats.

View PostTemperWolf, on November 16 2012 - 09:18 AM, said:

I made a post just like this weeks ago and didn't get nearly enough positive feedback as this guy! Instead I just got flamed!_ What's wrong yo_
Because your butt is so hurt and ur not pro enuff
Beep beep, Kiwi's a Chaffeemancer.

#59 Subdivision

Subdivision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted November 16 2012 - 09:34 AM

View PostTemperWolf, on November 16 2012 - 09:18 AM, said:

Because super hero Saunders saved the day and gave us the low down on what's happening. :D

Don't read the first and last post

Posted Image

#60 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted November 16 2012 - 09:39 AM

http://community.pla...tem/#entry92954
Your friendly otter-fox hybrid abomination about town.

To pronounce my name correctly, just pretend the 't' isn't there. You can also think of it as "Freno - [sodacan opening sound]"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users