HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Natural Terrain_

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you like to have natural terrain in the game_ (293 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to have natural terrain in the game_

1. Yes (195 votes [76.77%])

Percentage of vote: 76.77%

2. No (21 votes [8.27%])

Percentage of vote: 8.27%

3. I don't mind (38 votes [14.96%])

Percentage of vote: 14.96%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 NoamFer

NoamFer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationJerusalem, Israel.

Posted April 25 2011 - 08:07 AM

Well, I thought the game would be really awesome if it had natural terrain in it, like a desert or a snowy forest. It would honestly be amazing if I could fight other guys in an empty desert; it would require much more skill to avoid shots.
★★★★★

#2 JackDandy

JackDandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted April 25 2011 - 08:50 AM

It would be pretty cool, but remember- the sort of graphics they've achieved is only because of some really tricky use of existing resources.. I'm not sure how well they can pull off a more open terrain.

#3 NoamFer

NoamFer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted April 25 2011 - 09:01 AM

Yep, I also heard they made it for more vertical battles, so I would suggest that if they make natural terrain it could be more like cliffs and such, with waterfalls and woods. Maybe even unreal or alien terrain with huge trees and rocks.
★★★★★

#4 KingLordOfMaster

KingLordOfMaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted April 25 2011 - 10:06 AM

Variation would never hurt keeping a game alive.

We all know communities love as many maps as possible in a game.
At least well designed ones.

#5 deathflail

deathflail

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted April 25 2011 - 10:34 AM

Jack is right.  With a 9 person team you have to stay focused and be very efficient with what you have.  Creating a whole other asset library to do natural terrain and try to get that to look as good as the city environments could seriously mess up development.

To me that is something worth doing as an update or expansion, but too risky to do initially.

#6 Skulo

Skulo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted April 25 2011 - 11:42 AM

Hell Yeah

would be rly cool to see some tropical forest or desert....it doesn't need to have waterfalls something like Water pumps  or dirty water pools just to show how fucked up the world of Haken is.

Expansion or update yeah do it !!

#7 NoamFer

NoamFer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted April 25 2011 - 11:43 AM

DeathFlail said:

Jack is right.  With a 9 person team you have to stay focused and be very efficient with what you have.  Creating a whole other asset library to do natural terrain and try to get that to look as good as the city environments could seriously mess up development.

To me that is something worth doing as an update or expansion, but too risky to do initially.

I see your point and I think you are right. But definitely there wouldn't be only one map, because that would make the game boring and repetitive after a short while. All I say id that one of those maps should be natural environment. It could be added as an expansion or developed after the game is finished and released with it.
★★★★★

#8 Lev_Astov

Lev_Astov

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted April 25 2011 - 11:56 AM

I definitely like a mix of map terrain.  City maps are really awesome and appropriate for mech battles, since tracked vehicles would likely dominate open fields, but even cities have open terrain we could battle in.  Think of large parks or perhaps a lovely garbage dump with rolling mountains of trash.  I could definitely see the battle being taken to these types of areas.

DeathFlail does have a good point about the type of work that this would take.  One way I can think of to deal with this is to continue reusing the existing resources in the form of a collapsed area of the city. Many of the same chunks of building material could be reused to create cliffs of debris.

Now that I've typed this, however, I realize I've missed the whole point of a "natural" setting.  Natural maps would be really great, but I could definitely see it taking a while.

#9 lavalamp1138

lavalamp1138

Squadron Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted April 25 2011 - 12:17 PM

If natural environments fit in with the experience Adhesive Games wants to create, then I say more power to the idea. Laughing at my opponent as he sinks deeper and deeper into a pit of quicksand sounds like a good time :twisted:.

#10 Littledog1

Littledog1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted April 25 2011 - 02:11 PM

Being able to hide in a lake would be nice.

#11 lavalamp1138

lavalamp1138

Squadron Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted April 25 2011 - 02:23 PM

Littledog said:

Being able to hide in a lake would be nice.
Getting out of one would be even better ;).

#12 aethernet

aethernet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Locationcyberspace

Posted April 25 2011 - 05:13 PM

Don't know how you would justify a mech being able to operate underwater. These mechs especially don't look very waterproof.

I am not against environmental hazards in multiplayer maps though. But I think what the development team is going for is a more interactive and artificial terrain judging by the turrets and energy unit system they have in place.

Think about it, there would be less opportunity for such defense mechanisms in a natural setting. Also, it is a lot easier to render man-made objects than irregularly shaped things like rocks, trees, water etc. And note how the Hawken team is already cutting down on extra work by reusing objects that are used in the environment even for the shapes inside the cockpit.
mecha srw anime vg gundam vocaloid touhou programming etc

#13 vesper1

vesper1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 02:00 PM

I believe that AG want to deliver something solid, and as such stay away from jungles and forests with the first release - it would definitely drive GPU requirements through the roof, if you wanted a lush, animated enviroment - and who would want a "wooden" jungle after playing Crysis_ :-)

I say: let's spill some oil and crush some gears in the 'burbs, and if there's enough people into Hawken, maybe they'll give us a tropical island to wreak havoc on as a holiday bonus ;-)
Recruiting to the Bad Luck XIII Hawken Clan - interested_ Send me a PM.
[almost there...] http://hawkenwiki.net/ (all hail Ashfire908)

#14 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted April 26 2011 - 02:08 PM

Aether said:

Don't know how you would justify a mech being able to operate underwater. These mechs especially don't look very waterproof.

I am not against environmental hazards in multiplayer maps though. But I think what the development team is going for is a more interactive and artificial terrain judging by the turrets and energy unit system they have in place.

Think about it, there would be less opportunity for such defense mechanisms in a natural setting. Also, it is a lot easier to render man-made objects than irregularly shaped things like rocks, trees, water etc. And note how the Hawken team is already cutting down on extra work by reusing objects that are used in the environment even for the shapes inside the cockpit.

Interesting..

I can foresee many interesting combined SLO-MO/Natural fight combos in partially flooded maps. Lol :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#15 NoamFer

NoamFer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted May 10 2011 - 12:32 PM

It would be awesome to have animals too. And I think in one of the interviews they said they are considering something like this.
★★★★★

#16 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted May 10 2011 - 02:10 PM

I like the forest sceneario concept. Even more if the trees are destroyable and shredable in pieces. That would be viciously fun.. and if you add to this ashes plus some of fire and smoke then that would be, for the lack of a better word, perfect. :D

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#17 DarkS7ar

DarkS7ar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 13 2011 - 08:33 PM

lavalamp1138 said:

If natural environments fit in with the experience Adhesive Games wants to create, then I say more power to the idea. Laughing at my opponent as he sinks deeper and deeper into a pit of quicksand sounds like a good time :twisted:.

Quick sand_!_! Thats a new one for a mech game lol

But agreed my opinion runs alone side Lava, If AG is willing and has the time/experience to make nature maps then thats great. But if final product only features urban combat I wouldn't feel any less for the game.
Above the sky, beneath the stars.
Is where I soar, and your world is no more.

http://i306.photobuc...597d4c3e0b5.jpg
^Queen of sniping.

DESTROY   Cupcake!

#18 Mitchybape92

Mitchybape92

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted May 21 2011 - 10:48 AM

this game would pretty amazing if they added a green sort of terrain, forrest, some areas like in chromehounds if anyone has played that game(RIP) :cry:

#19 NoamFer

NoamFer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted July 03 2011 - 03:50 PM

HawkenRules123 said:

this game would pretty amazing if they added a green sort of terrain, forrest, some areas like in chromehounds if anyone has played that game(RIP) :cry:

Definitely agree with you, I would really like to shoot through a tall forest!
★★★★★

#20 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted July 05 2011 - 01:14 PM

Underwater maps, man! ;)

Probably I'm flipping too much at this one though! :P

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users