HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

For all people planning on using a joystick

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 G4M5T3R

G4M5T3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted November 25 2012 - 06:42 PM

View PostTarget_Drone, on November 22 2012 - 07:53 PM, said:

View PostFUZZY DUNLOP, on November 19 2012 - 10:19 AM, said:

@deu

You're not "looking around", you're aiming and reorienting your mech.  Adding a look feature would be something done with track IR or oculus. In a "real" mech you would have to have a control for movement and a control for target acquisition and aiming dumb fire weapons.

Personally I would love to use a joystick just so i have a more comfortable way to use missiles and items and the Heat Gun. Nothing throws your aim off more than having to hold a mouse button then release it at the right time. And since hawken already limits the player's movement it only makes more sense to use a joystick. You can't really twitch past 90 degrees with a fast mouse flick like other shooters. This is the perfect game to get people back into using joysticks and cool perhiperals

I have a "Track IR" head tracker for my flight based games (IL-2 and Wings of Prey) and would be very happy if I could use it on this game too (talk about realism, nothing beats turning your head to look around).

I have already given up on one Mech game because it didn't support pc-type joysticks, and hope that this Mech game doesn't lose my interest due to not supporting such a simple input device.

Umm, Hawken is compatible with the Oculus Rift.

Edited by G4M5T3R, November 25 2012 - 06:43 PM.

Posted Image
                                                                                                 Gamester (n.) : One who plays games, especially a gambler.
                                                                                                                     BSB - http://bsb-gaming.com/

#22 Grafix

Grafix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationBehind Evolwar and SS396 stealing thier Kills

Posted November 26 2012 - 10:45 AM

Borrowed an old  Saitek ST290 Pro and configured the Profile Editor to match some key bindings and works like a charm.  Just need to tweek it a bit to make it more fluid.
Grafix™  
Inner Sphere Wars Developer and BattleMech Hanger Developer - Hawken Beta Tester: C-BETA 1, C-BETA 2, C-BETA 3, Open BETA    
System Specs: Win7 64 Bit, AMD 6 Core 3.3ghz, 16Gig DDR3 RAM, Liquid Cooled, 2x Dual DVI Nividia GTX 560 2gig video cards for Quad Monitor usage during 3D Graphical projects.  Currently only use 1 monitor for Hawken.

#23 AvatarOfDespair

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted December 14 2012 - 02:24 AM

I can't wait to get my hands on the Mek-fu. I've still got my Steel battalion controlling hanging in a place of honor in my house hopefully the Mek-fu will join it =p.  Its just not a real mech game with out a joystick. And all you people saying its not optimal. So_  Collect your free kills and I'll enjoy feeling like I'm play a mech game and not Another Generic Shooter™.

#24 Badben

Badben

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted December 14 2012 - 02:30 AM

I've tried using my 360 controller, it does work, sort of, but there's no jump button lol.

#25 Pengod

Pengod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted December 14 2012 - 02:50 AM

The Xbox 360 controller works just fine. Just map the buttons in the right order for you. I've got
LT - machine gun
RT - Missiles
A- Jump
LB - thrust/boost
RB - use item (radar/turret etc)
B- Repair
Y - use special

Kinda like in shooters, works just fine. Or map boost to pressing down the left stick, like running is most of the time in shooters.

#26 Mr_Nice

Mr_Nice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted December 14 2012 - 03:31 AM

Bloody hell I must have Mek Fu, now, when will it be available. Does anybody know can't find out, hopefully before xmas.
Seriously excited about that,

#27 HotDog

HotDog

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted December 14 2012 - 03:55 AM

Hi at all,

you dont need a tool to run controllersupport in Hawken. Here is a way on how to activate the function in Hawken and a preset of Button Bindings.

IMPORTANT: After Activation you can rebind the Buttons inside the game.... ^^

Yours Truly

-BV-HotDog

---------------------------------------------OLD POSTS BY ME------------------------------

Hi at all,

ive been testing Hawken with a Xbox controller plus xpadder to see how it feels playing a Mech with a Controller.

Have to say it realy works nicely. Now how the Button Setup is (not Final):

Left Stick Movement - WASD
Right Stick Viewing - Mouse Directions
Repair was a tricky one - Since you cant move ive set it to - Press Left Stick - so you can view with the Right Stick
Secondary Abbility - Zoom - Lockon and so on - Press Right Stick - Mouse Weel Press
Trigger Left - Mouse Left
Trigger Right - Mouse Right
Bumper Left - R - Deploy Item
Bumper Right - Mouse Weel up - Rotate Item List
Button A - Jump - Spacebar
Button X - Boost - Shift
180 Turn - Button Y - Shift and S
Button B - Use - Interact - E

So this is how ive setup my Xpadder with Hawken and have to say it works very nicely. :)

The main reason is that i like the concept of Avanger - So everybody could play Hawken with a controller and its easy to setup.

When im at Home today ill upload my Profile and Settings 4 everybody to explore and see it for it self. ^^

IMPORTANT: This is a experiment and its on you how to setup... I can just give a little support on how things might work. ;)

Yours Truly

-BV- HotDog

--------Update------------

Ive just noticed something is missing.... The Ability Button F.....

So after considuration of functionality ive remaped the Button B with Keypress F. Since this is a important function in battle. :)

and

Interact goes to the Back Button of the Controller. Its hardly used thats the reason... ^^

So the button sceme looks as follows:

Left Stick Movement - WASD
Right Stick Viewing - Mouse Directions
Repair was a tricky one - Since you cant move ive set it to - Press Left Stick - so you can view with the Right Stick
Secondary Abbility - Zoom - Lockon and so on - Press Right Stick - Mouse Weel Press
Trigger Left - Mouse Left
Trigger Right - Mouse Right
Bumper Left - R - Deploy Item
Bumper Right - Mouse Weel up - Rotate Item List
Button A - Jump - Spacebar
Button X - Boost - Shift
180 Turn - Button Y - Shift and S
Button B - Ability - F
Back Button - Interact - E

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just remove the ";" from the front of the lines that have "XboxTypeS_" in them.

\MeteorEntertainment\Hawken\InstalledHawkenFiles\HawkenGame\Config\DefaultInput.ini

You can then change the controller bindings through the normal key binding menu in the Hawken options when the game is running.

You still need a mouse to navigate the menus though.

-----------------------------------------------

thanks for the update and here is the Layout:

.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_Start",Command="GBA_ShowMenu")
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftX",Command="GBA_StrafeLeft_Gamepad")
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftY",Command="GBA_MoveForward_Gamepad")
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightX",Command="GBA_TurnLeft_Gamepad")
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightY",Command="GBA_Look_Gamepad")
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightShoulder",Command="GBA_Action")
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightTrigger",Command="GBA_AltFire")
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftShoulder",Command="GBA_Jump_Gamepad")
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftTrigger",Command="GBA_Fire")
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftThumbstick",Command="GBA_WeaponPicker")
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightThumbstick",Command="GBA_AltFire2")
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_A",Command="GBA_Jump_Gamepad")
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_B",Command="GBA_Ability")
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_Y",Command="GBA_Heal | Back")
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_X",Command="GBA_Boost")
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_Back",Command="GBA_Use | Confirm")
+Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Up",Command="GBA_PrevWeapon")
+Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Down",Command="GBA_NextWeapon")
+Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Left",Command="GBA_PrevItem | DecPoint")
+Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Right",Command="GBA_NextItem | IncPoint")

Lets see how it performs. Some Buttons are reassigned since allot of them made no sense... ^^

Yours Truly

-BV-HotDog

Posted Image

#28 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted December 14 2012 - 04:03 AM

Just remember that tweaking INI files is not supported by the devs. :)

But, nice work, HotDog.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#29 HotDog

HotDog

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted December 14 2012 - 04:04 AM

Glad to be of assistance :)

Posted Image

#30 Lucious

Lucious

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted December 14 2012 - 04:08 AM

I haven't tried it out on Hawken but my PS3 controllers use to work out perfectly on other fps games, I really don't get what you're getting everything from... Like someone said before, you put the mouse axis on one joystick, the movement on the other...

But why would you want to use a joystick anyway, the accuracy and response possibility on them compared to keyboard and mouse is = zero

Edited by Lucious, December 14 2012 - 04:10 AM.

#31 HotDog

HotDog

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted December 14 2012 - 04:23 AM

@Lucious,

i dont own a ps3 controller and cant give out information without backing it up. ^^

The reason why ppl want to play with a controller is simple. Some dont have the advantage of using both hands freely others feel more comfortable on using a controller. Thats why ive written on my older posts that i love the Avanger concept.

Plus BenHack is a genius on helping others and has nice instruction on how to modify a controller for different situations.

The Other drawback is Hardware and responsiveness....

Progamer have very good H/W - other - Progamer are Talented on adjustinc in tactile responsivenes of a keyboard and mouse.

A Controller gives you the best of two worlds for a low price. :)

And like mentioned before you as a user have to feel comfortable on useing it... ^^

Best regards

-BV-HotDog

Posted Image

#32 Lucious

Lucious

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted December 14 2012 - 06:22 AM

View PostHotDog, on December 14 2012 - 04:23 AM, said:

...A Controller gives you the best of two worlds for a low price...
For a low price_ I really didn't get that. You still have to buy sufficient hardware no matter if play it on a controller or use your standard Keyboard and Mouse. It's not like the game will require less only because you use a joystick... it's still the same pc game... And only being able to controll yourself with your thumbs instead of your entire arms and fingers/hands is, for a majority of people, a major draw-back.

Edited by Lucious, December 14 2012 - 06:23 AM.

#33 _Somnophor_

_Somnophor_

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationAlabama, USA

Posted December 14 2012 - 06:35 AM

View PostElix, on November 14 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

if this thing doesn't cost as much as a fresh kidney, i just may have to buy it.  I mean, come on, look at it.  that thing would give R2D2 a boner.
Posted Image

#34 Overvolt

Overvolt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationGoiânia - GO

Posted December 14 2012 - 07:31 AM

Even as a mech game and an FPS think very hard to play with JOY, maybe the staff of consoles have more practices.
Intel i7 2600K 4.5@ | ASUS P8Z68-V PRO | GSkill 1866mhz 8G(2x4G) 9-10-9-28 1.5v | MSI 570GTX TF III | 2 x WesterDigital 1T 64mb, Samsung 1T | Corsair AX-850W | TV LCD Sony Bravia KDL32EX405 | Asus Xonar D2X | Logitech Z-5500 | Logitech G35 | Oblisidian 800D |CORSAIR H70 | Teclado Logitech G15 |Mouses Razor MAMBA | Pad SteelSeries SX ProGaming | M$ Joy X360

#35 Deth_Lok

Deth_Lok

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted December 14 2012 - 06:22 PM

Umm, why not use a mouse + joystick, like I've been doing since Quake and TF_ Works in most Source games, UT2K4 too. Should work in this, shouldn't it_ Does it_ Even if the joystick is Logitech Extreme 3D_
It works in MWO, though needs configing to be easier.

#36 SLIME1

SLIME1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted December 19 2012 - 09:21 PM

So from what I can tell from reading this, The Logitek Extreme 3D Pro can not be configured on HAWKEN and will not be supported_
1st game I have come accross that did not.  I hope you can change your minds and get this to work it is a grest JS and really popular.

#37 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted December 19 2012 - 09:25 PM

View Postslime1, on December 19 2012 - 09:21 PM, said:

So from what I can tell from reading this, The Logitek Extreme 3D Pro can not be configured on HAWKEN and will not be supported_
1st game I have come accross that did not.  I hope you can change your minds and get this to work it is a grest JS and really popular.
I don't see how you came to that conclusion from this thread. No developer or publisher employee has commented in this thread.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#38 NeoLoger

NeoLoger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationPlanet 419

Posted December 20 2012 - 02:17 AM

2 joysticks + Oculus rift
this is living the dream!!!

#39 Colin23

Colin23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted December 21 2012 - 01:15 AM

View PostDeu, on November 14 2012 - 09:27 PM, said:

View Posth0B0, on November 14 2012 - 12:36 PM, said:

Double joystick anyone_
1 to look
1 to move.

That just sounds awful IMHO. People do it because they think that a real cockpit would have two joysticks. In a real cockpit 1 wouldn't be for just looking and the other for moving, making it almost redundant to try to simulate it that way. Oh how I want to make a cockpit chair so bad but there are no true mech sims out yet. :( I'm sure people do enjoy it still but to me it just wouldn't make sense to hold it that way.

Why wouldn't a dual-joystick set up work_ Pedals or rudder keys would be required too, though. It could work like this: Left joystick controls strafing, forward, and backward movement, pedals or rudder keys control turning (just like a helicopter so it would not be crazy unfamiliar to a soldier), and the right joystick controls the rotation and pitch of the upper chassis. An alternative setup that does not involve pedals or rudder keys could have the left joystick twist to control turning.

Edited by Colin23, December 21 2012 - 01:20 AM.

#40 Deu

Deu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationWhite Base

Posted December 21 2012 - 04:01 AM

View PostColin23, on December 21 2012 - 01:15 AM, said:

View PostDeu, on November 14 2012 - 09:27 PM, said:

View Posth0B0, on November 14 2012 - 12:36 PM, said:

Double joystick anyone_
1 to look
1 to move.

That just sounds awful IMHO. People do it because they think that a real cockpit would have two joysticks. In a real cockpit 1 wouldn't be for just looking and the other for moving, making it almost redundant to try to simulate it that way. Oh how I want to make a cockpit chair so bad but there are no true mech sims out yet. :( I'm sure people do enjoy it still but to me it just wouldn't make sense to hold it that way.

Why wouldn't a dual-joystick set up work_ Pedals or rudder keys would be required too, though. It could work like this: Left joystick controls strafing, forward, and backward movement, pedals or rudder keys control turning (just like a helicopter so it would not be crazy unfamiliar to a soldier), and the right joystick controls the rotation and pitch of the upper chassis. An alternative setup that does not involve pedals or rudder keys could have the left joystick twist to control turning.

It's exactly because you'd need pedals and other things that I said two joysticks alone would not work. It won't ever compete with the ease of a keyboard. Probably will just put a keyboard and mouse in my future mech. Also another flaw I see with using a 360 controller is having to bring your thumb off the aim stick to hold the A button to lift. The problems with both are it's just too sloppy not that it won't work at all.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users