HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Melee Weapon = awesome sauce.

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 PoTheDragonSlayer

PoTheDragonSlayer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted April 27 2011 - 03:29 AM

I think it would be awesome if Hawken also included a melee weapon, like an epically big sword, which would be more powerful than most weapons, since you have to get face to face with your enemy.  I think it would be a great way to humiliate your enemy
:oops: , and also very satisfying to be able to get that close to your opponent to give him the killing blow  8-) .  

What do you guys think_

Melee weapon_

Or just ranged weapons_

#2 JackDandy

JackDandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted April 27 2011 - 04:24 AM

Augh.. Nope.
Some robots can look cool with big swords, but the more gritty/down-to-earth designs Hawken has wouldn't fit at all with them.

Maybe a pilebunker, but even that's not really necessary.

#3 Flyingdebris

Flyingdebris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 27 2011 - 04:28 AM

maybe a pneumatic spike/ unreal impact hammer type weapon, *could* look alright

but hell no, not a sword

even then, i doubt its going to practical to close in with opponents when  everyone has a jetpack
Mech time all the time

#4 WarInHeaven

WarInHeaven

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted April 27 2011 - 04:58 AM

ccw are popular on mechs, but only really look cool on manga/anime style mechs not on the more 'realistic' looking mech Hawken seems to be going for

also, since every mech has got jets, means that you could easily keep your distance  

so, highly unlikely

#5 Porcupine

Porcupine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted April 27 2011 - 06:13 AM

Oh god no, plz no big swords/axes/halberds/nunchucks or ANYTHING JRPG'ish!

#6 KellAset

KellAset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted April 27 2011 - 08:20 AM

I don't mind melee weapons in a mech game, more variety is almost always good. While playing Front Mission Evolved I got to like them, brass knuckles, bludgeons, pilebunkers. Probably to use them in Hawken more or less effectively devs would have to implement TPP view, mechs in vids jump around so much (personally I don't like all this crazy jumping).
About swords, hmn well not so sure about those.

#7 ApocalypeX

ApocalypeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted April 27 2011 - 08:26 AM

I was going to make a thread about melee weapons but I came to the conclusion that it wouldnt work in Hawken.

Hawken is a more gritty/realistic looking mech game. Melee weapons only really work in Anime when the mechs are literally mobile suits (e.g. Gundam). The engineering of the mechs in Hawken do not look like they support any kind of attacking motions.

It would be cool but I don't see it fitting in.

#8 Blak Rhino

Blak Rhino

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted April 27 2011 - 12:07 PM

NO...just NO.
If you want mecha go play armored core.

#9 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted April 27 2011 - 01:39 PM

Maybe, maybe some kind of energy weapon for when you're out of ammo might fit well, IMO. Let's say some energy pulse if you want, which could be cost you other benefits in return. As for example armor ( or shields.. no idea yet ), to say the least.

Pretty vague at this stage but just an idea once more. :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#10 Dem

Dem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted April 27 2011 - 04:30 PM

I think the closest thing you could come up with for a melee weapon in Hawken would be some sort of very short range emp-type directed blast that would overheat all of your weapons and temporarily disable your opponent.

Or possibly a giant mech jump kick to the face :D

#11 Irrelevant

Irrelevant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted April 28 2011 - 12:04 AM

Meele weapons(or at least a ramming attack) would work in Hawken, I'm thinking of the Melee attack in Steel Battalion()
At 8:30 it happens;

Basically its a weapon you switch to(other weapons are disabled when you switch), when you use it, a mechanical "stump, I guess" unfolds and you launch forward, You cant steer and are left wide open if you miss.
Something were you grab the other mech in midair.

Or the classic DFA (Death From Above) where you land on top of the other mech.
Mostly situational attacks to be used on unwary enemies(like the taunts on TF2)

Standard Melee weapons would look out of place considering the design of the mechs.

#12 Rush

Rush

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted May 01 2011 - 11:09 AM

It would be cool if they could fight with there fists if the run out of ammo.But a sword would have to be large and deiselpunkish to work

#13 SickDownlink

SickDownlink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted May 10 2011 - 09:48 PM

yea maybe a sword would look out of place, but what about a flamethrower, or a huge saw of some kind. Now that would be epic, playing very aggressively rushing an opponent and cooking the pilot alive, or cutting open the hull of their mech.

They could also do some different kind of damage...
Maybe have the flamethrower cause the opponent's weapons to overheat faster, or slow down the movement of their mech. This could be very interesting and allow for more diverse play styles.

i am all for melee weapons, but as said before, they should fit the hawken look, with i believe saws or flamethrowers would.
10000100010010010011101000101000 : SickDownlink
Posted Image

#14 LordPorkSword

LordPorkSword

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationSouth Auzzie

Posted May 10 2011 - 09:53 PM

How 'bout a bigarse drill_  :o
"The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your actions!"
Unreal Old Friends

#15 Flyingdebris

Flyingdebris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 11 2011 - 04:19 PM

I'd rather not see like sword swing animations or that kind of stuff, that just seems way too anime-y  But stuff like really close range weapons ala flamethrowers, cutting torches, pneumatic spikes, and other assorted industrial heavy duty powertool on crack type device could potentially fit the style of hawken.  Though i'm not sure how handy it will really be, considering how fast everyone is moving.
Mech time all the time

#16 colR

colR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSheltering from the rain, Scotland

Posted May 12 2011 - 11:47 AM

I vote for giant chainswords, spinny sawblades and electrified lances, attached to either i) small, speedy mechs which can ambush the big boys and rip them several new ones, or ii) big huge lumbering mechs who can shred their smaller brethren if they can close with them, or have epic hand-to-hand battles with each other while the titchy guys pew-pew-pew amongst themselves.

All this in addition to the usual array of slug-throwers, beam cannons and wave motion guns. And, you know, everything else.

Oh and if I could possibly take off and nuke the entire site from orbit too that would be nice. It's the only way to be sure, you know.

#17 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted May 12 2011 - 12:22 PM

Maybe an innovative special move, let's call it a "Mad Phoenix™" if you wish:

It would be something like, you speed run your mecha (or a jump), then you make a flip as you turn on your jump-jets for an instant ( into some special mode) as literally flamethrowers and over the cockpit of your opponent.

Little damage but that would give you some of time in order to, for example, run away.. whilst the other guy is on fire for a while...

Hahah, ain't it cool_ :D

P.S. I think this engine permits such crazy move. :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#18 SickDownlink

SickDownlink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted May 12 2011 - 12:50 PM

The_Silencer said:

Maybe an innovative special move, let's call it a "Mad Phoenix™" if you wish:

It would be something like, you speed run your mecha (or a jump), then you make a flip as you turn on your jump-jets for an instant ( into some special mode) as literally flamethrowers and over the cockpit of your opponent.

Little damage but that would give you some of time in order to, for example, run away.. whilst the other guy is on fire for a while...

Hahah, ain't it cool_ :D

P.S. I think this engine permits such crazy move. :)

lol, +1
10000100010010010011101000101000 : SickDownlink
Posted Image

#19 Kaliops

Kaliops

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted May 12 2011 - 03:50 PM

I am Anti Melee Weapon, Pro Death From Above, and Physics based collision damage.  If my feet fall on your face, that should hurt.  

Even more better buttah would be falling buildings on you hurting, along with me slamming you into girders also hurting.

#20 HappyApathy1

HappyApathy1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted May 12 2011 - 06:11 PM

I'm against actual melee weapons as well, there's a reason tanks don't have giant bayonets or chainsaws attached to the front of them, its just not practical.

Unlike humans which have squishy soft spots for things like knives and baseball bats, tanks (and mechs) are completely made of metal. Sharp or pointy things would be useless against them while you would need to whack them with some ungodly heavy object if you want to cause concussive/crushing damage against them (something like, your own mech for instance  ;) ). Don't get me started on carrying something like a giant light-saber or shield, if I see something that looks like a Gundam appear in this game I will PUKE.

Chances are if an enemy mech gets right in my face I would rather pump it full of lead and missiles before I reach for my giant-over-sized bowie knife.

I'm all for collision damage and using your mech to ram others because the mass of your own mech is likely the only thing heavy enough to cause serious damage to another mech. This is also something that real-life tank crews have been known to do (read it up, WWII did this) and, seeing as mechs are kind of tanks-of-the-future, would be applicable to mechs too likely.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users