HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Melee Weapon = awesome sauce.

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 Flyingdebris

Flyingdebris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 12 2011 - 09:24 PM

OOOH

IDEA

If you bump into an opposing mech while boosting you can shove them along into walls, piledriving them for damage so long as you still have momentum when you hit a wall.

Both victim and attacker get a sort of concussive effect where their vision is blurry and swimming for a short while,  The victim has a more pronounced effect though.

To escape a piledrive you have to apply jets to counter the momentum of the attacker, otherwise you are in trouble.
Mech time all the time

#22 DarkS7ar

DarkS7ar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 13 2011 - 01:18 AM

HappyApathy said:

I'm against actual melee weapons as well, there's a reason tanks don't have giant bayonets or chainsaws attached to the front of them, its just not practical.

Unlike humans which have squishy soft spots for things like knives and baseball bats, tanks (and mechs) are completely made of metal. Sharp or pointy things would be useless against them while you would need to whack them with some ungodly heavy object if you want to cause concussive/crushing damage against them (something like, your own mech for instance  ;) )

To be frank the reason tanks don't have knives or bayonets on them is because its not bipedal or humanoid, they have limited movement. Its like putting a chainsaw on a car(lol that would be sick XD) its dumb because you only have one motion and thats ramming with the chainsaw. And all you would need for a knife to work for a mech would be a stronger metal or alloy. Or even Explosive pike. OOOORR a blade that has a high vibration(-.- NO NOT THE V or D WORD!!) could act as a fast friction device and cut through the metal.

The_Silencer said:

Maybe an innovative special move, let's call it a "Mad Phoenix™" if you wish:

It would be something like, you speed run your mecha (or a jump), then you make a flip as you turn on your jump-jets for an instant ( into some special mode) as literally flamethrowers and over the cockpit of your opponent.

Little damage but that would give you some of time in order to, for example, run away.. whilst the other guy is on fire for a while...

Hahah, ain't it cool_ :D

P.S. I think this engine permits such crazy move. :)

I vote Mad Phoenix™

To put in my two cents... melee weapons are cool and would be nice, but at the end of the day if I have my mini-gun and shotgun I'm a happy man.
Above the sky, beneath the stars.
Is where I soar, and your world is no more.

http://i306.photobuc...597d4c3e0b5.jpg
^Queen of sniping.

DESTROY   Cupcake!

#23 pandm101

pandm101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted May 13 2011 - 05:24 AM

I'd go with pile bunkers if melee is going in.

#24 JackDandy

JackDandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted May 13 2011 - 06:00 AM

Awesome ideas, Silencer and Debris.

Seeing them in-game would be great.

#25 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted May 13 2011 - 07:44 AM

Flyingdebris said:

OOOH

IDEA

If you bump into an opposing mech while boosting you can shove them along into walls, piledriving them for damage so long as you still have momentum when you hit a wall.

Both victim and attacker get a sort of concussive effect where their vision is blurry and swimming for a short while,  The victim has a more pronounced effect though.

To escape a piledrive you have to apply jets to counter the momentum of the attacker, otherwise you are in trouble.

Add cool sparks on the cockpit controls as well...! ;)

P.S. Aerial and/or land ramming could be very cool in Hawken. I've to insist on this once more! :D

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#26 AstralProxy

AstralProxy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted May 13 2011 - 08:39 PM

I vote for some sort of close range combat, but NO melee weapons.
The boost-shove idea is pretty cool and shouldn't be too hard to implement. Other than that I can't imagine these mechs even throwing punches (or kicks). Special abilities like an EMP blast could work, but what would be the consequences to disabling an opponent_
IMO, the more shooter this game remains without other attack methods the better.

#27 Harimau1

Harimau1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted May 13 2011 - 10:41 PM

Something like a pile bunker or pile-driver... but grittier, with explosive shrapnel instead. I'm sure authors and creators have come up with a name for this weapon, but I can't remember it...
It'll look and function a bit like a hammer, is loaded with a few explosive charges, upon striking another surface with enough force, it triggers an explosion with shrapnel.
It's a backup weapon, with only a few charges, so it's disposable; but it does a lot of damage at point-blank range.

#28 MarikLaw

MarikLaw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted May 14 2011 - 12:03 AM

Long time mech game player, both on the table top and in video games, and I must say that I'd be happier with melee weapons left out.

The sad fact about melee weapons is that, in a video game setting, they're fairly hard to balance properly. Anyone whose played Chromehounds online knows of the plagued clan matches that consisted of Hound Pile rushes that ended games in less than 3 minutes or getting close to you fairly easily and hitting your mech (or in this case Hound) three or four times to destroy you. Saps the fun out of the game really.

I'd rather the developers of Hawken focus on balancing the ranged weapons in the game rather than attempt to introduce a melee element to it.

#29 SickDownlink

SickDownlink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted May 14 2011 - 11:32 AM

MarikLaw said:

Long time mech game player, both on the table top and in video games, and I must say that I'd be happier with melee weapons left out.

The sad fact about melee weapons is that, in a video game setting, they're fairly hard to balance properly. Anyone whose played Chromehounds online knows of the plagued clan matches that consisted of Hound Pile rushes that ended games in less than 3 minutes or getting close to you fairly easily and hitting your mech (or in this case Hound) three or four times to destroy you. Saps the fun out of the game really.

I'd rather the developers of Hawken focus on balancing the ranged weapons in the game rather than attempt to introduce a melee element to it.

But that seems like the melee weapons were not balanced properly. It shouldn't be fairly easy to hit someone with a melee weapon unless you are a very skilled pilot. If the melee weapons are balanced correctly, it would add so much more strategy and add new play styles to the game. How could this be bad unless the melee weapons were unbalanced.

Please take a moment to let the Devs know your stand on melee weapons in Hawken by voting here

http://www.forums.ad...c.php_f=7&t=210
10000100010010010011101000101000 : SickDownlink
Posted Image

#30 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted May 14 2011 - 05:35 PM

Flyingdebris said:

OOOH

IDEA

IMO, would be something pretty fair to make eat a grenade to someone trying to do that to you, whilst you additionally execute some evasive move. That would be fair, indeed. ;)

P.S. My Mad Phoenix move was initially a joke against melee weapons. But this is the magic of the forums as well as of smart and cool forumites posting on here. I do hate flamers. And I'm glad to say that there have not been many on here. So, keep up providing this good feedback, guys!. :D

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#31 Katawa

Katawa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted June 04 2011 - 08:45 AM

I'm also against melee weapons, the Hawken mech design just feels wrong with most melee weapons I can think of. Close-range, but not specifically melee, weapons would be interesting; examples of which could be a shotgun or an emp burst. The latter possibly lowering enemy mech weapon tracking and turn rate, good use for a scout flyby against a heavy with your team-mates nearby.

#32 legionwolff1

legionwolff1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted June 05 2011 - 07:14 PM

To me mech warfare has the same rules as human warfare. If people still bring bayonets to battle on the ends of their guns why not mechs_ though a giant sword isn't the answer. Maybe a large blade instead of an appendage. It could work but only in dire situations or to kill unknowing enemies from behind. Like maybe a silent kill move where you sever the spine of the mech from behind. I don't know I'm just rambling but i vote sorta yeah!
"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war,"

#33 StantonJL

StantonJL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted June 06 2011 - 08:51 PM

Nah, the gameplay looks very very very spread out so I couldn't see you coming that close to someone else without being taken apart.

#34 00legin

00legin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted June 09 2011 - 08:32 AM

melee weapons could work.  One, they work bring variety to gameplay as well as to people who would pick up the game.  Two getting up close in a firefight brings out a nice sense of adrenaline.  Number three, you dont need to use them.  If you dont like melee blow the person with melee up, it will be awesome.

Some things that would make melee suck.
Instant kills
bullet deflection
anything that looks like a japanese rpg sword

So I say keep the awesome look of the game, add some kinda melee because it will open up gameplay options, just keep everything just as perfect as it is and dont make its complex.

#35 Barcode1

Barcode1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted June 09 2011 - 12:24 PM

A left-hand melee weapon that does around 400 damage (recycle/heat adjusted so that if you miss, you're screwed) would be cool if it were just a big pneumatic plate or spike. I just don't know how useful it'll be in this game until we all actually play it. (And would you WANT it to be useful in a game where everyone is mortaring or sniping from their left-hand weapon_ I...don't think I'd mind, as long as there's a lot of shake if you get hit by one/use one.)
In-game username-to-be: cupcakesRevenge

#36 DoItHewitt

DoItHewitt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted June 10 2011 - 01:35 AM

PoTheDragonSlayer said:

I think it would be awesome if Hawken also included a melee weapon, like an epically big sword
Yes a Sword would be awesome! And a shield...
There would just be the matter of making the few different swings look good.
Maybe a large sword with an end similar to a light saber that melts thru your enemies.
Get a Sword & Shield only match going. haha

#37 SixSeconds

SixSeconds

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted June 14 2011 - 03:54 AM

The way Hawken's going right now, any sort of "melee" weapon like a big fuckoff sword is going to look way out of place; but how about something that fits into the semi-realistic vision they've got_ A left hand laser weapon with plasma blooming would be so cool; since high-power lasers turn air into plasma, they have short ranges, and in gameplay terms, they could do damage and overheat an opponent's weapon systems, which would give melee players an actual incentive for taking such huge risks.

Plus, high-speed midair laser fencing owns.

#38 aethernet

aethernet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Locationcyberspace

Posted June 14 2011 - 11:53 AM

But button push melee sucks balls.
mecha srw anime vg gundam vocaloid touhou programming etc

#39 PilotOmegaK

PilotOmegaK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted June 14 2011 - 05:27 PM

SixSeconds said:

The way Hawken's going right now, any sort of "melee" weapon like a big fuckoff sword is going to look way out of place; but how about something that fits into the semi-realistic vision they've got_ A left hand laser weapon with plasma blooming would be so cool; since high-power lasers turn air into plasma, they have short ranges, and in gameplay terms, they could do damage and overheat an opponent's weapon systems, which would give melee players an actual incentive for taking such huge risks.

Plus, high-speed midair laser fencing owns.

Sounds unique, I like this idea.

The two types of melee weapons from this thread that I feel would fit good in this game thus far are:

1. Pneumatic Spike(Pilebunker)
2. Quoted Idea(What would you call the weapon_; Plasma Cutter_; High Power Laser_)

#40 innociv

innociv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted June 15 2011 - 07:23 PM

The problem with melee weapons is the lack of weapon switching.

You're stuck with that weapon on one arm, which leaves you only 50% effective at range.

I think it's a bad idea.
I love melee mechs when it's appropriate, but Hawken has a different style and controls.
I think of a style like this as being more like a tank, a vertical tank.  You're engaging at range, or around buildings, you're not driving right up to the enemy.  It's not an exosuit, it' a vehicle.

If there IS melee, it'd have to be on a separate button that you use in backstabbing type situations.
But these are really unfun for the receiver, no matter how cool they might look.
It doesn't feel fun that someone beat you just because they got close and pressed a button.  It takes out all the aim and dodging.  It just feels like they got the drop on you and there was no chance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users