HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Drones deploy and launch items

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

Poll: Drones deploy and launches items (81 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like the healing drones to deploy and launch items_

1. Yes (21 votes [25.93%])

Percentage of vote: 25.93%

2. No (23 votes [28.40%])

Percentage of vote: 28.40%

3. Only on certain Items (like laying of mines, functioning as a spy bot, etc) (37 votes [45.68%])

Percentage of vote: 45.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 20 2012 - 01:04 PM

View PostAce4225, on November 20 2012 - 12:42 PM, said:

ok. well, I'm seeing good arguments for why my idea may not be the best, but I'm not seeing any counter-opinions on how it should work.

If you have ideas on how this idea could be altered/enhanced further so that it would take more skill, I'll be glad to hear it. [I never claimed it was a polished idea]
This is why you should read all the posts.

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 20 2012 - 08:33 AM, said:

I'm with Deuy on this one.

While it sounds cool at first, after I think about it for some time it seems rather gimmicky, and like I said before, gimmick are bad.
Now sure, it could work out well for items like turrets and holograms, but it really is rather absurd for things like the HE charge or an EMP.

Also, I'm all for raising the skill cap for item usage, but I believe that increasing the time it takes to deploy is a bad way to do it. Hawken is a fairly fast paced game and sometimes you need that HE charge now, not in half a second when the opponent gets back behind cover.

If you guys really want to take a look at how to make items more skilled, I'd take a gander at some of NotKjell's amazing posts on the topic.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#62 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 20 2012 - 02:27 PM

I'm not sure that I necessarily like THIS PARTICULAR implementation of it, but I do think that there needs to be some sort of sign that an ability or item is being used
Logistically this idea would need some work, but I think it could potentially do it, if the Devs managed to find the right positioning of the droid, or used a shortcut that wasn't noticeably cheesy
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#63 Bombshell

Bombshell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 02:31 PM

What I'm getting is that it would be cool to have it for turrets but silly to have it with charges and other things that you need instantly

#64 [HWK]Long$hot

[HWK]Long$hot

3D Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 05:39 PM

View PostAce4225, on November 20 2012 - 09:12 AM, said:

View PostLong$hot, on November 20 2012 - 07:47 AM, said:

Clearly, there is no reasoning with a person that voted for Roseanne Barr in the last election. So I ask you, the fans and supporters, to rock the vote! Vote Yes, to Prop DDLI/Freedom of speech/Womens right to vote/Things that Deuy hates and No to Roseanne Barr.

ahem.. I hate to burst your hype bubble, but aren't we not supposed to bring up issues of politics on the forums_ :P

I'll make sure to report it to the nearest moderator... :D

#65 *SOMEBOOTY

*SOMEBOOTY

3D Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted November 21 2012 - 12:45 AM

I don't usually post anything on forum, but I just want to throw in my 2 cents. Sitting just a couple feet from Long$hot, Duey, CameronKerby, and the rest of the devs everyday..You have no idea how enjoyable my job really is..guys like them that me want to wake up everyday wanting to help create a coolest mech game ever. With that being said, I gotta back Duey up on this whole thread. No offense to Long$hot, CameronKerby, and Shadiradio I love you guys ����
Nhat
Adhesive Games

#66 Dreizehn

Dreizehn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted November 21 2012 - 01:07 AM

I don't mind visual changes. But will the drone deploying the items cause a delay gameplay wise_ If it takes longer for my HE Charges or something to deploy, then I'd be pretty against it.

Cosmetically speaking, I'm kinda on the fence. Certain items make more sense to be launched directly. While you might need the services of your droid to erect a turret or something, it'd be silly to get the thing out just to launch a missile or lob a HE Charge.

#67 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 21 2012 - 08:05 AM

Just as side note: A drone to dispense beers to friendly pilots whilst they're repairing would be something pretty appreciated..

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#68 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMission Control

Posted November 21 2012 - 09:36 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 20 2012 - 01:04 PM, said:

If you guys really want to take a look at how to make items more skilled, I'd take a gander at some of NotKjell's amazing posts on the topic.

I read this already. I like the ideas too... but I think it applies better to abilities [such as the slightly-improved, but still generally-useless C-class ability]

As for items, this is what's happening to them. Sure cooldowns may degrade the realism of using items a little, but everyone has them, so they've essentially become like "extra" abilities. Limiting the mechs to only 2 items was a good call in that regard.

@Dreizehn: It's been expressed by quite a few people [myself included] that any sort of drone-based item use should be limited to only certain items. Hence the third option in the poll. :D

Posted Image
US East    -Brawler   -Berserker   -Scout   -Assault
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#69 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 22 2012 - 11:32 AM

Well, I suggested beer but I could have said Coke or Pepsi as well.. BTW devs, Coke or Pepsi there in the labs_ :D

Ok... Drone-based items..

1.- Spy-cam-drone.
2.- Controllable sentries or turrets.
3.- Medic drone to repair friendlies.  -  (Specialized drone to repair turrets_)
4.- (Cloackable_) drone to provide radar intel.
5.- ... that would be all for now.

Hope these ideas help. :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#70 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 01:07 PM

If it fixes the turret placement and doesn't slow down deploying items im all for it, Although if it's just adding another object to collide with im not for it.

#71 Makina

Makina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted November 22 2012 - 02:57 PM

and then someone shoot the drone and it explode T_T...but seriously I like the way items are tossed, exept for the turret blocking the way X_x
Alienware Aurora R4 : Intel I7-3820 4 core 3.6 - OC 4.1 // 8 GB rams (Soon 16 GB) // 2 GB AMD Radeon HD 7870 // Basic 7.1 Sound Card // 17' & 50' 1080p Screens // Oculus Rift equipped .

All system green...Ready for action.

#72 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMission Control

Posted November 22 2012 - 11:49 PM

I first commented with my ideas on this before CB3 and mentioned getting stuck on a turret in the action of deploying was annoying.

Now, in CB3, it's even worse. I get stuck on a turret virtually every time I go to deploy it.. even if I do so while walking in full stride in any direction. I can only free myself from it by boosting/jumping, which exposes me to radar and practically defeats the purpose of using turrets.

Something needs to be done about turret deployment, even if it's simply preventing the turret from "colliding" with your mech until after it's been dropped and activated.

Edited by Ace4225, November 22 2012 - 11:51 PM.

Posted Image
US East    -Brawler   -Berserker   -Scout   -Assault
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#73 [HWK]Long$hot

[HWK]Long$hot

3D Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted December 07 2012 - 05:17 PM

Thank you all for the feedback and participating in the poll! We will definitely take all this into consideration moving forward.

#74 WasteGate

WasteGate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationTehas

Posted December 07 2012 - 05:40 PM

View PostSkrill, on November 19 2012 - 10:35 PM, said:

sure why not but it would be a waste of equipment. which brings up another topic. if the drones are deployable are they destoyable
and what are the consequences of losing your drone_ you cant repair_

You beat me to it,I wanted to read all the posts as I was thinking it. I for one am going to take the pot-shot at any.
Posted Image

#75 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted December 10 2012 - 07:02 PM

View PostCameronKerby, on November 19 2012 - 06:19 PM, said:

What if we had another drone that launches your healing drone_

And for it to heal it launched cute little mini healing drones... awwwww <3

But on a serious note. I voted no simple because this is a fast paced game. Now if you add in a drone to use said items it will do two things.

1) slow down the item in question, you won't get it off when you want it or make it harder to pull off at all when needed.
2) gives serious clues to your opponent that something is coming and it gives them far too much of a warning. Similar to the hellfire rockets at mid range while not firing w/ lock on. They take so long to get out that people can just move out of the way once they hear it.

Though if the radar jammer worked in the sense that it released a ton of mini drones that gave off mech signatures as they traveled around the map.... THAT would be cool. But that is a situation where it is not dire to get off in a split second and logically would make sense because the current jammer doesn't fool many.

Edited by Akrium, December 10 2012 - 07:03 PM.

#76 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 18 2012 - 07:12 PM

One more thing, guys -before I suggest one new custom item to send apologies to my team mates for being a fool upon a time.. :)

1.- Radar scramblers could make radar dots blink in coherent time intervals and within an area of effect.

2.- Repair drones might be used to heal, for example, turrets... Although the Healing Torch seems to be there on the lab table. Healing stuff via your repair drone would considerably work slower than a H-Torch and moreover it might get destroyed by your opponents, leaving your mecha without repairs ability until you re-spawn (that's been mentioned already though).

Sorry if I'm a bit late on this, guys.

P.S. Healing charge* items can not heal other items, isn't it_

Edited by The_Silencer, December 18 2012 - 08:26 PM.

Posted Image

#77 P4THF1ND3R

P4THF1ND3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Location3rd planet from the Sun.

Posted January 13 2013 - 04:57 AM

If it is used only in the deploying/creation of turrets, then I welcome it, as it could be strategically placed away from you within a certain radius. As for all the other items, leave them as is, as they need to be fast paced. And I think it would be nice to have the option of telling my healing drone to go heal my turret for a bit, then when I attempt to enter repair mode, it quickly flies back and helps me.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users