HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Drones deploy and launch items

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

Poll: Drones deploy and launches items (81 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like the healing drones to deploy and launch items_

1. Yes (21 votes [25.93%])

Percentage of vote: 25.93%

2. No (23 votes [28.40%])

Percentage of vote: 28.40%

3. Only on certain Items (like laying of mines, functioning as a spy bot, etc) (37 votes [45.68%])

Percentage of vote: 45.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 [HWK]Long$hot

[HWK]Long$hot

3D Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted November 19 2012 - 04:04 PM

Right now the items are launched instantaneously from the midsection of the mech. I have been campaigning to have the healing drone deploy and then launch the item. Fellow devs, Deuy, Cameron Kerby, and I have been in intense discussions about this and would like to know what y'all think_

#2 KaszaWspraju

KaszaWspraju

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted November 19 2012 - 04:11 PM

it's simple: yes.

INTEL i5-4670K * ASUS Z87-A * GOODRAM DDR3 2x4GB * GIGABYTE GTX 760 OC rev 2.0 * X-Fi XTREME MUSIC * GRADO SR-60

SAMSUNG EVO 120GB * OCZ STEALTHXSTREAM 2 600W * Win 7 64
@ defekt : Mobility is King and burst damage is Queen. Checkmate.
Gdy byłem młodszy byłem bardziej beztroski... aha... nie lubię już POLSKI !

#3 [HWK]Deuy

[HWK]Deuy

Chief Nomadic Trapeze Artist

• Adhesive Games
  • 350 posts

Posted November 19 2012 - 04:16 PM

Deploying the drone would clutter the screen more, possibly block your own view (if it spawns in front of you) or a teamate's (if it spawns on the side).

It would make judging the trajectory of the item harder since it would come from an outside angle (building corners and lightposts anyone_).  

And finally it would delay the time it takes to launch an item, plus broadcast that action to an enemy, so offensive items like grenades and detonators would be much harder to connect with.

Get this idea out of my face.

#4 Kerbstomp

Kerbstomp

3D Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted November 19 2012 - 04:20 PM

Yeah but who doesn't want a little robot friend_ I'd give my left nut to pal around with my best bud, RD-LZR.

Posted Image

#5 KaszaWspraju

KaszaWspraju

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted November 19 2012 - 04:25 PM

@Deploying the drone:
I think the best way with one arm / collarbone, and was at the top of the screen, actually I do not know how it is large.

@It would make judging the trajectory of the item harder:
More skill is always welcome.

@And finally it would delay the time it takes to launch an item, plus broadcast that action to an enemy, so offensive items like grenades and detonators would be much harder to connect with:

Maybe offensive items leave unaltered form drone, or increase their launch speed_  May instead grenades give guided missile(but it must be more effective than R-turret)_

Edited by KaszaWspraju, November 19 2012 - 04:31 PM.

INTEL i5-4670K * ASUS Z87-A * GOODRAM DDR3 2x4GB * GIGABYTE GTX 760 OC rev 2.0 * X-Fi XTREME MUSIC * GRADO SR-60

SAMSUNG EVO 120GB * OCZ STEALTHXSTREAM 2 600W * Win 7 64
@ defekt : Mobility is King and burst damage is Queen. Checkmate.
Gdy byłem młodszy byłem bardziej beztroski... aha... nie lubię już POLSKI !

#6 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMission Control

Posted November 19 2012 - 04:34 PM

View PostDeuy, on November 19 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

Deploying the drone would clutter the screen more, possibly block your own view (if it spawns in front of you) or a teamate's (if it spawns on the side).

It would make judging the trajectory of the item harder since it would come from an outside angle (building corners and lightposts anyone_).  

And finally it would delay the time it takes to launch an item, plus broadcast that action to an enemy, so offensive items like grenades and detonators would be much harder to connect with.

What if it launched out of the top of your mech [just like it does when you're repairing]_ And the launch was almost instantaneous_ It wouldn't clutter the screen.. and it wouldn't make things too much harder to time.

Edited by Ace4225, November 19 2012 - 04:34 PM.

Posted Image
US East    -Brawler   -Berserker   -Scout   -Assault
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#7 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted November 19 2012 - 04:36 PM

not ALL items would have to be deployed this way either....

RANDOM THOUGHT: What about giving your drone deployment directions [like in RTS/squad-based games where you tell people where to go to do a particular action]_ Or would that mess with timing_ [on a plus, it would keep people from spamming items during a firefight]

Edited by Ace4225, November 19 2012 - 04:37 PM.

Posted Image
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#8 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted November 19 2012 - 04:40 PM

Item specific would be good.

getting your drone just to launch a grenade is a bit rediculous, dont i have grenade launches in my mechs chasi_

On the other hand getting my drone out so it can properly install a turret would look pretty cool.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#9 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted November 19 2012 - 04:43 PM

I've often dropped a turret then found I couldn't move because I was stuck on the turret [I've even died because of that a few times]

I really like the idea of being able to deploy the drone and then tell it to deploy the turret a few feet away or something.

Just my two cents anyway.

Posted Image
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#10 Sinj

Sinj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationStamford, CT USA

Posted November 19 2012 - 04:48 PM

I think it would be more realistic/aesthetically pleasing with some items where as others not so much, eg EMP turret as for others maybe not so much I am 50/50 on this.
Posted Image

#11 [HWK]Deuy

[HWK]Deuy

• Adhesive Games
  • 350 posts

Posted November 19 2012 - 04:58 PM

View PostAce4225, on November 19 2012 - 04:34 PM, said:

What if it launched out of the top of your mech [just like it does when you're repairing]_ And the launch was almost instantaneous_ It wouldn't clutter the screen.. and it wouldn't make things too much harder to time.

If it was above you, you would never see your own drone, meaning the benefit is purely for other people to see your drone (which is fine, that's cool).  But if you were under an overhang or in a tunnel like on Titan, or hovering near the ceiling of an overhang then the drone would spawn inside level geometry and block the item deploying.  This would be an issue on any side of the mech, and would require some kind of programming solution that would detect walls and move the drone appropriately.  This could also change the item trajectory in mid use.

Also in general you'd have a bunch of drones appearing and disappearing around different mechs in battle and I just think it would look kind of silly and maybe even confusing.

So basically you'd have something that requires a bunch of extra work to implement correctly, for an end result that is either the same or possibly worse than the current system gameplay-wise.  That's why it's a TERRIBLE idea from a HORRIBLE person (Long$hot).

#12 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted November 19 2012 - 05:06 PM

good point. But what about manual choice of deployment location [just for certain items]_

I.E. you're walking and see a nice intersection of roads where you want to place an MG turret.

you:

A. select the MG turret
B. press and hold the "use item" key, in which case, your mech stops moving and your mouse becomes a NAV indicator that moves along the ground.
C. You select a spot in the intersection, then watch your drone launch, fly over to the spot, and drop a turret.

For weapon-type items [like H.E. charge and EMP] this would be unnecessary.

Edited by Ace4225, November 19 2012 - 05:06 PM.

Posted Image
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#13 [HWK]Deuy

[HWK]Deuy

• Adhesive Games
  • 350 posts

Posted November 19 2012 - 05:08 PM

That would be cool :)

#14 [HWK]shadiradio

[HWK]shadiradio

UI and Sound Designer

• Adhesive Games
  • 37 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted November 19 2012 - 05:33 PM

View PostAce4225, on November 19 2012 - 05:06 PM, said:

B. press and hold the "use item" key, in which case, your mech stops moving and your mouse becomes a NAV indicator that moves along the ground.

I've been wanting this behavior for a while... who do I have to talk to around here to make it happen_

#15 [HWK]Long$hot

[HWK]Long$hot

3D Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted November 19 2012 - 05:38 PM

View PostDeuy, on November 19 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

View PostAce4225, on November 19 2012 - 04:34 PM, said:

If it was above you, you would never see your own drone, meaning the benefit is purely for other people to see your drone (which is fine, that's cool).  But if you were under an overhang or in a tunnel like on Titan, or hovering near the ceiling of an overhang then the drone would spawn inside level geometry and block the item deploying.  This would be an issue on any side of the mech, and would require some kind of programming solution that would detect walls and move the drone appropriately.  This could also change the item trajectory in mid use.Also in general you'd have a bunch of drones appearing and disappearing around different mechs in battle and I just think it would look kind of silly and maybe even confusing.So basically you'd have something that requires a bunch of extra work to implement correctly, for an end result that is either the same or possibly worse than the current system gameplay-wise.  That's why it's a TERRIBLE idea from a HORRIBLE person (Long$hot).

I'm one who likes to think of cool ways to make the game better and enhance the experience of the players. And if an idea is "liked" by a lot of people (which it is currently) then it should be in our interest to find a way to make it work. Perhaps the overhead thing isn't the "best" way to solve it but it is a helpful suggestion to help progress the idea. I, unlike my fellow Dev Duey, would like to hear creative and innovative suggestions from the community and work together in an effort to improve the game.  I also like freedom of speech and the right for women to vote but perhaps these are things that Deuy and I differ on :P  

To me, I feel like that slight delay in deploying the drone would add a level of skill to either landing or dodging an item attack. This would be especially useful for items like the emp, which is borderline OP (AOE which shuts down all weapons/items/radar to everyone afflicted). I would also just like to see the healing drone have more usefulness/screen time  as they are really cool looking (refer to CameronKerby post)

#16 Culex

Culex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted November 19 2012 - 05:53 PM

I think having a delay with the drone going out and setting it up things like turrets would definitely alter the balance, probably in a beneficial way-Ace's idea for turrets/maybe even holograms; it seems more authentic. That being said, the current strength of the MG Turret may be justified to stay the way it is (although it would be interesting to note exactly where the drone can put up the turret, and whether it can be stopped in the process). With a drone putting up a hologram, hologram should be strengthened to mimic the firing actions of the player as well.

That being said, I think direct projectile items like the EMP, HE charges, etc. should stay in it's current form. Although, new items can be added exclusively for the drone to use, like laying of mines, functioning as a spy bot, and more.

Edited by Culex, November 19 2012 - 05:54 PM.

I am matter... I am antimatter... I can see your past... I can see your future...

I consume time... And I will consume you!
Posted Image

#17 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted November 19 2012 - 05:59 PM

View PostCulex, on November 19 2012 - 05:53 PM, said:

I think having a delay with the drone going out and setting it up things like turrets would definitely alter the balance, probably in a beneficial way-Ace's idea for turrets/maybe even holograms; it seems more authentic. That being said, the current strength of the MG Turret may be justified to stay the way it is (although it would be interesting to note exactly where the drone can put up the turret, and whether it can be stopped in the process). With a drone putting up a hologram, hologram should be strengthened to mimic the firing actions of the player as well.

That being said, I think direct projectile items like the EMP, HE charges, etc. should stay in it's current form. Although, new items can be added exclusively for the drone to use, like laying of mines, functioning as a spy bot, and more.

this. :D

Posted Image
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#18 [HWK]Deuy

[HWK]Deuy

• Adhesive Games
  • 350 posts

Posted November 19 2012 - 06:05 PM

View PostLong$hot, on November 19 2012 - 05:38 PM, said:

if an idea is "liked" by a lot of people (which it is currently) then it should be in our interest to find a way to make it work.

A 7-4 vote 30 minutes after the poll went up is hardly conclusive, but of course people are going to like the idea, it sounds cool.  Have your drone come out and deploy your items_  Sweet, sounds awesome!  But it is also our job as developers to think seriously about the logistics of this stuff, how it needs to be implemented, and how it affects or changes gameplay.  That's what I am attempting to do, because I care about gameplay not just the fancy effects in the game.

I, unlike my fellow Dev Duey, would like to hear creative and innovative suggestions from the community and work together in an effort to improve the game.

That's great, welcome to the forums!  Glad you finally found the time to post something in the 20 months they've been up and running.  

I also like freedom of speech and the right for women to vote but perhaps these are things that Deuy and I differ on :P  

No comment.

#19 Culex

Culex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted November 19 2012 - 06:12 PM

The problem with the poll is that it should have an option for only certain items to be deployed by the drone. Then my vote would instantly change.

I am matter... I am antimatter... I can see your past... I can see your future...

I consume time... And I will consume you!
Posted Image

#20 Kerbstomp

Kerbstomp

3D Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted November 19 2012 - 06:19 PM

What if we had another drone that launches your healing drone_

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users