HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Producer Letter: Closed Beta Event 2

Beta Event Community Game News

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 PabloPwnage

PabloPwnage

Producer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted November 19 2012 - 10:10 PM

Greetings HAWKEN pilots,

Team HAWKEN would like to thank all of you for participating in our second Closed Beta Event (CBE2)!

An Educational Experience

Your diligent playing testing has yielded valuable insights into how the community enjoys HAWKEN and areas we can improve it. Throughout the event, producers, designers, artists, and more staff members all read the forums, looking for constructive and critical feedback from you, our players. As we march closer and closer to Open Beta, community insights will be key in helping us identify and resolve issues. Speaking of issues…

Yo Dawg, We Heard You Like Muting…

We've all been victims of it, and most of us are guilty of it: leaving the mic on while playing. Everyone on your team gets to hear all the details of sensitive guy's lovely brunch with mom at the cafe, each and every smack, crunch, and slurp of hungry dude's dinner, or the furious torrent of violent keyboard clacks as fashion expert guy vehemently defends the artistic vision of elastic waistband jeans. As awesome as these moments are, sometimes we just want to play in peace and choose when we want to hear and engage with our fellow teammates.

To this end, we will be speeding up our implementation of the muting system so that you can choose when you want to hear a team member's diatribe on the social relevance of cat memes. By bringing up the scoreboard and clicking on a player's callsign, the “Mute” option will now silence their voice chat as well as text.  Simply click it and enjoy your quiet time!

The “Insanity” Maps Were a Little Insane

During the second Closed Beta event, many of you saw the 32-player “Insanity” servers we had put up, and many more of you actually jumped in to try these servers out. We want to take a moment to clarify that these servers were experiments designed to test the strength of our game servers beyond their actual designed capacity. We are happy to report that they stand on their feet even when server population goes well beyond their intended capacity. Your testing helps us make sure that server performance is totally streamlined and that in a full 6v6 match, you can focus on good old-fashioned mayhem and destruction rather than lag spikes.

Showing Love to Older Gaming PCs

We here on Team HAWKEN know that everyone loves a pretty game that plays smoothly. I know I do! We also know that not everyone has a fire-breathing PC that was forged in the fires of Mordor and thrice-blessed by the High Priests of Ptah. We are continuing to optimize all aspects of HAWKEN so that it will run better on lower-end computers. In our third Closed Beta event, you will see even better performance across all levels of PCs and we will continue to optimize and tune HAWKEN until we feel it is fun and playable for the widest range of configurations possible.

Multiplayer games are all about playing together, whether it's with our friends, clan members, or that guy that keeps taking a full spread of your Flak Cannon and TOW Missile to the face (repeatedly). We want to make sure that as many players as possible can come and play HAWKEN and enjoy the experience. This is why we greatly appreciate your continued testing and feedback on how HAWKEN performs on all of your different machines. You guys are great!

Our Matchmaking System is Learning!

In this round of Closed Beta, you all provided even more testing for our Matchmaking system which has led to even more fixes that will make server placement faster and more accurate. Under the hood, Matchmaking is a complex and complicated system that requires serious attention to detail and many lines of code to get it right. That said, it should be a simple process of choosing game modes and clicking a button for our players. Making sure that a player is put in the right match is very important to us. We are all gamers too and want the experience to not only be seamless and fast, but fair in the way it chooses where you should be placed. In our third Closed Beta event, we are rolling out a number of changes that will make Matchmaking more consistent and fair in its placement of players, which brings us to our next major update.

The Server Browser Will Be on Vacation in CBE3

In order to make sure that Matchmaking is working as intended and accurate in funneling players to the right servers, we have removed the Server Browser for our third Closed Beta event. Before you write up an impulsive reply about this decision, let us explain the reason behind it. In any FPS game, the Server Browser is a community feature in that they allow you to see a list of servers that you can become familiar with and return to when you play in the future. This is because those Server Browsers list dedicated servers that are online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

These servers represent communities of players, and those communities are important and meaningful to the ecosystem of a game, especially an FPS. Because HAWKEN spins up servers and takes them down as needed and does not support dedicated servers yet, the Server Browser does not perform its intended function. Instead, it randomizes player balance in servers since joining through the Server Browser bypasses the Matchmaking system entirely. In order to make sure that Matchmaking has the best chance of getting you into the right game with players near your skill level, we need to make sure that it is the primary method used for entering a game. You will still be able to join a friend on a server they are playing on, or invite a friend to join your current server (new feature for CBE3, by the way). We aren't preventing you from playing with your friends! When we are ready to roll out dedicated servers as a feature, the Server Browser will make its triumphant return. We are excited to see the communities and clans that will be built around dedicated servers, but all in good time.

The XP and HC Rates Are Works-in-Progress

We are continuing to tweak and adjust the experience (XP) curve as well as the accrual rate of HAWKEN Credits (formerly HAWKEN Points). These are very important gameplay factors and we will continue to change and tune these rates until we feel a good equilibrium has been reached. Earning progress is fun and drives us to want to keep playing to get that next cool item, weapon, or level. We want to make sure that always remains true for you, the player. HAWKEN is a game, not a job, and it is very important to us that we maintain that feeling throughout the HAWKEN experience.  

Two Down, One Last Closed Beta Event to Go!

All of Team HAWKEN is working at full speed as we prepare for the third and final Closed Beta event starting on November 20. We thank all of you for your help in testing HAWKEN during these events. Your efforts help us to further improve HAWKEN so we can deliver the best experience possible to all of you. We're warming up your mechs and getting them ready for battle! As before, Team HAWKEN will be popping in and out of servers to play with you so watch out for those [ADH] and [MTR] tags on our callsigns.

See you on the battlefield, pilots!

Paul Loynd
Senior Producer/Enforcer, Meteor Entertainment

#2 opium

opium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted November 19 2012 - 10:19 PM

View PostPabloPwnage, on November 19 2012 - 10:10 PM, said:

Please keep these. The insanity matches for siege might need a bit of tweaking (I had one last 90 minutes) but overall I liked doing the occasional Insanity match in tdm and missile assault.

#3 SGRock

SGRock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted November 19 2012 - 10:21 PM

View Postopium, on November 19 2012 - 10:19 PM, said:

Please keep these. The insanity matches for siege might need a bit of tweaking (I had one last 90 minutes) but overall I liked doing the occasional Insanity match in tdm and missile assault.

Agreed, these game types with 32 players are worth retaining.
Occupation:  Old guy (do it long enough and you get really good at it)

Super cool jpg goes here>

#4 Garuda

Garuda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationSailing the Seven Seas with my trusty Beluga Whale steed

Posted November 19 2012 - 10:48 PM

We here on Team HAWKEN know that everyone loves a pretty game that plays smoothly. I know I do! We also know that not everyone has a fire-breathing PC that was forged in the fires of Mordor and thrice-blessed by the High Priests of Ptah. We are continuing to optimize all aspects of HAWKEN so that it will run better on lower-end computers. In our third Closed Beta event, you will see even better performance across all levels of PCs and we will continue to optimize and tune HAWKEN until we feel it is fun and playable for the widest range of configurations possible.
...a water droplet came out of my webcam,
my HP ENVY 14 Beats Edition definitely feels the love.

Cheers to you guys in making a truly impressive game with beautiful aesthetics, addictive gameplay, and low system requirements.
I personally thank you, Team HAWKEN, for bringing a long-awaited game that many people have been searching for decades.
Posted Image

#5 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 19 2012 - 11:09 PM

Multiplayer games are all about playing together, whether it's with our friends, clan members, or that guy that keeps taking a full spread of your Flak Cannon and TOW Missile to the face (repeatedly). We want to make sure that as many players as possible can come and play HAWKEN and enjoy the experience. This is why we greatly appreciate your continued testing and feedback on how HAWKEN performs on all of your different machines. You guys are great!
You are my best friend. I've been hoping to see performance enhancements to Hawken, because CBE2 was nigh-unplayable.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#6 draco7891

draco7891

El Tigre

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationCA, USA

Posted November 19 2012 - 11:11 PM

The popularity of the Insanity servers is indicative, I think, of definite community interest in seeing larger Hawken engagements (in fact, the only real criticism I saw leveled against them was that the maps felt crowded; understandable, given their original design size).

+1 for larger servers, with bigger maps, please! :)

Draco

#7 TheChaffeemancer

TheChaffeemancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 01:29 PM

Kiwi won't mind the lack of a server browser as long as there are no more 32 player games. Kiwi hated being shoved into those servers by matchmaking.
Beep beep, Kiwi's a Chaffeemancer.

#8 Enryoki

Enryoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSaint-Petersburg, Russia

Posted November 21 2012 - 02:24 PM

Thank You !!!

#9 RavenDarth

RavenDarth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 04:36 AM

Thank you so much for letting us play this game, I couldn't wait till Dec 6 lol.

#10 jose68

jose68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Locationspain

Posted November 22 2012 - 08:32 AM

thanks you so much for the game, but yours say that all going to receive a surprise for to play,,tkanks yours guys

#11 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 09:52 AM

I still want 64 man servers.

#12 THEDRIVEN

THEDRIVEN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted December 08 2012 - 12:41 AM

Job Well Done Hawken Team!

I know I've said this before, but I must say it again.  I personally love this game.  This is the best multiplayer Mech Game in the world - Hands Down!  Anything you guys do to add to this awesome experirience is just icing on the cake; and it's a mighty, mighty big cake.  Seriously, thank you for all of your hard work, dedication, commitment and skill and lets not forget your creative imaginations.  I could go on forever,...seriously,I could just keep talking about how great this game is.  I mean, the HUD is second to none.  I love how it's so easy to read.  I love how fast the matches load - I mean this game loads super fast.  I like how you can chat with people and really communicate with the rest of your team.  If mechs were real, this is what they would look and behave like.  You guys really got the physics part down on this game.  The sound_  I turn it up until my room is shaking and my neighbor thinks I'm being attacked by droids or something out of a WAR Zone Movie.  And how about those guns_  Hot,hot,hot - I fire until they are a hot red baby.   Then I fire my secondary weapon, thenI use my turret and then I take cover while I recharge and then I attack. And then, I'm attacked and then I wipe the sweat off my brow and wipe the blood off my lip from where I bit into it as I was being surrounded and suddenly when I think it's time to respawn, my teammate snipes the guy that is about to bring me down and then my other buddy takes down two others with his rocket launcher and then,....I wake up realizing that it is December 7, 2012 and the beta ended the day before,....and I ask myself,...just how truly patient am I as a person_  Can I wait till the December 12_  I think the answer is a simple one.  I must now go back to sleep and not wake up until 5 more days have passed.  What a nightmare huh_  The waiting I mean. Thanks guys.  Seriously,  Thank you.  I am going to blog about you guys on my site.  Thanks again.  Many , many , many people will enjoy playing this game that otherwise would play some other mech game that could only dream of being this good.

Edited by THEDRIVEN, December 08 2012 - 12:43 AM.

#13 slider0110

slider0110

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted June 06 2013 - 09:10 PM

PLEASE!!! COME BACK TO Battlefield!!!. OPEN SERVERS TO PLAY PLZZZZZZZZZZZZ
WONDERFUL PROJECT!!! SUPPORT!!!!

Edited by slider0110, June 06 2013 - 09:12 PM.

#14 DaPheel

DaPheel

EXPLOSIONS_

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationU.K.

Posted June 08 2013 - 04:00 AM

Shhhh - Threadomancy is a forbidden practice. :ph34r:
Posted Image"OFFICIAL SHIELD BEARER"
Spoiler

#15 Buzay114

Buzay114

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted September 25 2013 - 02:35 PM

View Post[HWK]PabloPwnage, on November 19 2012 - 10:10 PM, said:

Greetings HAWKEN pilots,

Team HAWKEN would like to thank all of you for participating in our second Closed Beta Event (CBE2)!

An Educational Experience

Your diligent playing testing has yielded valuable insights into how the community enjoys HAWKEN and areas we can improve it. Throughout the event, producers, designers, artists, and more staff members all read the forums, looking for constructive and critical feedback from you, our players. As we march closer and closer to Open Beta, community insights will be key in helping us identify and resolve issues. Speaking of issues…

Yo Dawg, We Heard You Like Muting…

We've all been victims of it, and most of us are guilty of it: leaving the mic on while playing. Everyone on your team gets to hear all the details of sensitive guy's lovely brunch with mom at the cafe, each and every smack, crunch, and slurp of hungry dude's dinner, or the furious torrent of violent keyboard clacks as fashion expert guy vehemently defends the artistic vision of elastic waistband jeans. As awesome as these moments are, sometimes we just want to play in peace and choose when we want to hear and engage with our fellow teammates.

To this end, we will be speeding up our implementation of the muting system so that you can choose when you want to hear a team member's diatribe on the social relevance of cat memes. By bringing up the scoreboard and clicking on a player's callsign, the “Mute” option will now silence their voice chat as well as text.  Simply click it and enjoy your quiet time!

During the second Closed Beta event, many of you saw the 32-player “Insanity” servers we had put up, and many more of you actually jumped in to try these servers out. We want to take a moment to clarify that these servers were experiments designed to test the strength of our game servers beyond their actual designed capacity. We are happy to report that they stand on their feet even when server population goes well beyond their intended capacity. Your testing helps us make sure that server performance is totally streamlined and that in a full 6v6 match, you can focus on good old-fashioned mayhem and destruction rather than lag spikes.

Our Matchmaking System is Learning!

In this round of Closed Beta, you all provided even more testing for our Matchmaking system which has led to even more fixes that will make server placement faster and more accurate. Under the hood, Matchmaking is a complex and complicated system that requires serious attention to detail and many lines of code to get it right. That said, it should be a simple process of choosing game modes and clicking a button for our players. Making sure that a player is put in the right match is very important to us. We are all gamers too and want the experience to not only be seamless and fast, but fair in the way it chooses where you should be placed. In our third Closed Beta event, we are rolling out a number of changes that will make Matchmaking more consistent and fair in its placement of players, which brings us to our next major update.

The Server Browser Will Be on Vacation in CBE3

In order to make sure that Matchmaking is working as intended and accurate in funneling players to the right servers, we have removed the Server Browser for our third Closed Beta event. Before you write up an impulsive reply about this decision, let us explain the reason behind it. In any FPS game, the Server Browser is a community feature in that they allow you to see a list of servers that you can become familiar with and return to when you play in the future. This is because those Server Browsers list dedicated servers that are online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

These servers represent communities of players, and those communities are important and meaningful to the ecosystem of a game, especially an FPS. Because HAWKEN spins up servers and takes them down as needed and does not support dedicated servers yet, the Server Browser does not perform its intended function. Instead, it randomizes player balance in servers since joining through the Server Browser bypasses the Matchmaking system entirely. In order to make sure that Matchmaking has the best chance of getting you into the right game with players near your skill level, we need to make sure that it is the primary method used for entering a game. You will still be able to join a friend on a server they are playing on, or invite a friend to join your current server (new feature for CBE3, by the way). We aren't preventing you from playing with your friends! When we are ready to roll out dedicated servers as a feature, the Server Browser will make its triumphant return. We are excited to see the communities and clans that will be built around dedicated servers, but all in good time.

The XP and HC Rates Are Works-in-Progress

We are continuing to tweak and adjust the experience (XP) curve as well as the accrual rate of HAWKEN Credits (formerly HAWKEN Points). These are very important gameplay factors and we will continue to change and tune these rates until we feel a good equilibrium has been reached. Earning progress is fun and drives us to want to keep playing to get that next cool item, weapon, or level. We want to make sure that always remains true for you, the player. HAWKEN is a game, not a job, and it is very important to us that we maintain that feeling throughout the HAWKEN experience.  

Two Down, One Last Closed Beta Event to Go!

All of Team HAWKEN is working at full speed as we prepare for the third and final Closed Beta event starting on November 20. We thank all of you for your help in testing HAWKEN during these events. Your efforts help us to further improve HAWKEN so we can deliver the best experience possible to all of you. We're warming up your mechs and getting them ready for battle! As before, Team HAWKEN will be popping in and out of servers to play with you so watch out for those [ADH] and [MTR] tags on our callsigns.

See you on the battlefield, pilots!

Posted Image

#16 Cholera

Cholera

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted January 29 2014 - 01:22 AM

First of all I would like to say that this game is awesome! We have been looking for a game that we could play together that everyone liked but we just couldn't find one.. untill I found hawken. It's trully amazing!

A few questions: when does the beta end/where can I see when the beta ends and is there any word on pricing when this game comes out_

I apologize for my terrible English

grtz
Cholera

#17 dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationLegion

Posted January 29 2014 - 01:36 AM

View PostCholera, on January 29 2014 - 01:22 AM, said:

First of all I would like to say that this game is awesome! We have been looking for a game that we could play together that everyone liked but we just couldn't find one.. untill I found hawken. It's trully amazing!

A few questions: when does the beta end/where can I see when the beta ends and is there any word on pricing when this game comes out_

I apologize for my terrible English

grtz
Cholera

IT'S FREE TO PLAY

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beta, Event, Community, Game, News

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users