HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Scout 1st impressions

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#41 BuDeKai

BuDeKai

Some Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 01:20 PM

View PostFemale, on November 20 2012 - 10:25 PM, said:

Why is a MINI flak cannon doing more damage than a Flak cannon_

Everyone is rolling scouts.

Not playing again until scouts are nerfed because the game is not fun otherwise. I play to have fun. Not to be completely and utterly destroyed by scouts left and right.

so tired of this fuzzy bunny.
QQ. i promise the scout is very easy to beat. ask AJK. this is an issue of skill. we wont miss ur bedazzled posts.

Posted Image

ive started streaming. the quality is fuzzy bunny but id appreciate any support
http://www.twitch.tv/budekai
also be sure to tune into The COCKPIT Hawken show! ---> http://community.pla...astshow-121212/

#42 Female

Female

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 01:24 PM

View PostBuDeKai, on November 21 2012 - 01:20 PM, said:

View PostFemale, on November 20 2012 - 10:25 PM, said:

Why is a MINI flak cannon doing more damage than a Flak cannon_

Everyone is rolling scouts.

Not playing again until scouts are nerfed because the game is not fun otherwise. I play to have fun. Not to be completely and utterly destroyed by scouts left and right.

QQ. i promise the scout is very easy to beat. ask AJK. this is an issue of skill. we wont miss ur bedazzled posts.

Scouts have the 2 hardest hitting weapons. They also are incredibly fast.

When you fight an entire platoon of them. It's really fuzzy bunny annoying.

And skill isn't an issue with me. There is no one I can't kill if I try.

Edited by Female, November 21 2012 - 01:25 PM.

Posted Image

#43 BuDeKai

BuDeKai

Some Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 01:28 PM

hardest hitting AT CLOSE CLOSE RANGE. shield/ emp. get distance between u and the scout. they are next to useless at long range. counter with the AR. heavys also present a problem because they will generally get close to over heating before coming close to killing u. if u land ur TOWs or GL they will die quick. but u need to AIM and predict. wait for them to dodge and as soon as they do fire ur first tow. not a moment sooner.

Edited by BuDeKai, November 21 2012 - 01:32 PM.

Posted Image

also be sure to tune into The COCKPIT Hawken show! ---> http://community.pla...astshow-121212/

#44 Skylead

Skylead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSpace Colonies

Posted November 21 2012 - 01:31 PM

To anyone that thinks the TOW should take a damage nerf in order to reduce self damage from it, have you tried shooting past your target and detonating it on their back_ Using this technique you can safely TOW at close range and not take self damage. So lets not ask them to nerf the damage max that we can achieve.

Edited by Skylead, November 21 2012 - 01:32 PM.

#45 BuDeKai

BuDeKai

Some Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 01:32 PM

View PostSaunders, on November 20 2012 - 08:33 PM, said:

We're researching potential mech-specific abilities for the optimization trees.  Having the Scout be immune to self-inflicted TOW damage might be something to consider.
less damage_

please no. one tactic that people never take adavantage of as a higher health class is getting in the face of a scout. yess u will be close to the flak but if u cause them to miss one burst you should be able to win any exchange. 2 burst and its game over. causing them to hurt themselves then following up with ur own secondary is one of my favorite ways to beat a light mech. if u shoot a tow into a wall or into an enemy in ur face u should be punished for it. if u remove that punishment i promise players like myself will be able to exploit it. the scout is in a really good place right now.

Posted Image

#46 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 01:55 PM

I'm going to have to play the scout a bit more, 2 hours in now...before I know whether or not that TOW is a good match.right now i feel If it's suppose to be a primarily close range mech then no in it's current state the TOW is not but if it's suppose to be mid/close range then ok I guess so. There are better weapons out there for it because of the fact that it's also a close range mech but I guess it does give it an element of skill and makes sure it can't just bum rush someone.

#47 exray

exray

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 03:26 PM

I think the scout is a lot of fun. I've been playing mostly with the flak, but will give the mini a try.

It's got an enjoyable play style - sneaky, backstabbing, quick. I don't find them overly annoying while playing assault either. AR chews up em just fine, as long as you don't let them get the drop on you.

#48 Timber_Wolf

Timber_Wolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 03:43 PM

View PostBuDeKai, on November 21 2012 - 01:28 PM, said:

hardest hitting AT CLOSE CLOSE RANGE. shield/ emp. get distance between u and the scout. they are next to useless at long range. counter with the AR. heavys also present a problem because they will generally get close to over heating before coming close to killing u. if u land ur TOWs or GL they will die quick. but u need to AIM and predict. wait for them to dodge and as soon as they do fire ur first tow. not a moment sooner.
This.
The reason the vulcan was ridiculous was because it could put almost the same DPS out at any range.  The mini-flak and the flak have to be right in your face to kill you.  I took on several scouts as a berserker earlier and took them out no problem by evading away.  Fire your tow at them to force a dodge, stay in medium range, and when they try and get close, pelt them nonstop with SMC/AR fire and TOW.

They're dangerous in group fights where they can sneak up on you or if they manage to jump on you from above or otherwise catch you off guard.  In a straight up fight that doesn't start at close range_  They'll get eaten.  They're a really good chaser class and can evade well cause of their fuel ability, but when they run away it's going to be from closeish range.

EDIT:  Also, BuDeKai is terrifying to play against, but I had a lot of fun when I got the opportunity yesterday.  :)

Edited by Timber_Wolf, November 21 2012 - 03:43 PM.

Chicks dig giant robots.

#49 Nukerock

Nukerock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 04:46 PM

I find both flaks so useful at close range that the tow is not needed at all, and its always there ready if the target decides to try to dodge away from you.
Imo the scout is extremely effective at its role, you just dodge and use your ability to get right up your target's ass the closest the better, where his own explosives are gonna damage him too, you spam your flak if they try to dodge tow just finishes them using tow that close would be a waste.

I don't feel like it needs buffs for either tow or flak, if anything maybe his special ability could have a different duration or cooldown.

#50 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 21 2012 - 04:59 PM

View PostBuDeKai, on November 21 2012 - 01:20 PM, said:

AsianJoyKiller's verdict on the Mini-Flak: "It's dumb"
Just cuz he stomped you, doesn't mean the weapon you used is bad/not OP :P
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#51 BuDeKai

BuDeKai

Some Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 05:33 PM

View PostTimber_Wolf, on November 21 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

EDIT:  Also, BuDeKai is terrifying to play against, but I had a lot of fun when I got the opportunity yesterday.  :)

glad im not the only who thinks the scout is in a good place, very useful but only if played properly. it was a pleasure man. had a lot of fun.

Posted Image

#52 FenixStryk

FenixStryk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • LocationUS-East

Posted November 21 2012 - 06:02 PM

The only problem with the Scout is that the Mini-Flak was overtuned in CBE3, putting it in the Vulcan Assault's old spot of "having too much going for it". Once the Mini-Flak's DPS is brought back into line, it'll be fine.

It was fun while it lasted.

#53 Titzilla

Titzilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationBehind Cover

Posted November 21 2012 - 06:07 PM

View PostBuDeKai, on November 21 2012 - 01:32 PM, said:

please no. one tactic that people never take adavantage of as a higher health class is getting in the face of a scout.

This doesn't work for infiltrators like me who use HC and GL :( I remember one game where I ended up killing myself more than anyone else killed me. It was funny in a sad way.
Posted Image

#54 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 06:08 PM

View PostFenixStryk, on November 21 2012 - 06:02 PM, said:

The only problem with the Scout is that the Mini-Flak was overtuned in CBE3, putting it in the Vulcan Assault's old spot of "having too much going for it". Once the Mini-Flak's DPS is brought back into line, it'll be fine.

I don't think the dps is too outrageous, could use a bit of tuning like everything else. remember the numbers for the dps are with every bullet hitting, good luck with that.

If it was toned down too much a scout would never be able to take another mech in a fair fight.

#55 Deaod

Deaod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted November 21 2012 - 06:12 PM

I would not be surprised if scouts get nerfed soon.

Ive been playing it for almost five hours now. Its my favourite class out of all i had tried during alpha/previous betas, but i cant help the feeling that i shouldnt be winning as much as i do.

Im not using the Mini Flak. I see others spamming it, and i think im doing less damage using the Mini Flak, because of the need to keep the crosshair on the enemy.

Edited by Deaod, November 21 2012 - 06:16 PM.

#56 String

String

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 06:41 PM

Scout is fun and the fuel refill seems to add a lot of tactical choice.

Also, it would be nice if deployed radars could show their area of detection on the mini-map.

#57 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 06:57 PM

After testing it out for most of today I can say that the Scout feels just about right, maybe the mini flak could do with a tiny rate of fire decrease, but only tiny.

I like that I can't just spam both guns when I'm up in someones face, 'cause it will hurt me so much. Keeps some skill involved regarding "do I fire my TOW or not_" and seeing as the TOW is the only mid-long range weapon on the Scout it takes a little more skill to predict and land hits at range.

Still, I prefer my Infiltrator and when I switched over to it during a match with a large number of Scouts, I was able to rip their faces off.
Blast a HEAT and Grenade into their face then dash out of the way of their mini flak and finish off with another HEAT or two. The vastly reduced Health bonuses from internals and optimisations means that A class mechs really don't have enough health to take the nasty burst damage of the Infiltrator- to be fair even when the boosts were higher it would only take another Grenade and HEAT round or two.
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

#58 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 21 2012 - 08:09 PM

Once I got used to not having a fuzzy bunny ton of health again, I found Scout pretty easy to play.
The Mini Flak needs some reigning in. I'd rather see that done via RoF rather than damage.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#59 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 08:11 PM

Yeah it shoots pretty damn fast for a shotgun type weapon.

#60 SavantDouchebag

SavantDouchebag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 08:35 AM

Budekai's right The biggest mistake when encountering a Scout is to freak out when they appear.

TOW serves as a dynamic combination for Mini Flaks in heat-range-evasion triangle. I don't see it as something that needs changing.

I utilize fuel reserves to jump between hot zones and aid teammates as a surprise punch, or to draw opponent's attention. Travel behind enemy lines, flanking whoever is enjoying their stationary position. Scout is a disruptor for full fledge matches. Gank it and it's game over for the little runner.

Maybe I'm just the weird one, but I fared better with mini-flaks. OP_ Don't know. let the majority decide. I love this mech so much. I'm far from those top ranked scouts , yeah,  but I found its role fits my playstyle perfectly :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users