HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Tired of people rage quitting. Punish them or reward people for staying_

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

Poll: Punishment or Rewards, what is better_ (142 member(s) have cast votes)

How should be deal with the cases of people quitting_

1. Punish people for quitting. (14 votes [9.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.86%

2. Reward people for staying. (58 votes [40.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.85%

3. A little bit of both. (36 votes [25.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.35%

4. Do nothing. It will solve itself with more players. (26 votes [18.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.31%

5. Other / None of the above. (please explain below) (8 votes [5.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 11:54 PM

So I'm sorta shifting this thread a bit, the previous topic still stands but i would like more discussion, a lot of people are for rewards not punishments, the main points that have been brought up for each are.

Rewards:
  • Doesn't end up hurting people who have to quit for other reasons.
  • Sugar is sweeter then vinegar / carrot is better then the stick.
  • Reward player for being in the same match for a long time.
  • A player rating for not quitting.
Punishments:
  • A cumulative lockout time on that game mode or all modes. (game mode so players still have something to do_)
  • Can punish people who just need to take a phone call or use the bathroom.
  • A games quit stat.
  • Losing hawken points for repeated quitting.
Do nothing:
  • The player base is too small it will solve itself.
Most fair punishment so far:
  • Have a "Player Rating" variable, that whenever someone quits a game while they're on the losing team they are given a prompt that a player will need to be found before they leave and ask them to keep playing until one is found. They are also given the choice to leave. (decrease the kick for afk to 30-45 seconds until the system is sure they are playing) If they instead leave while a player is not found, PLUS They go play a different match OR or go afk in that match subtract 1 to The "player rating".  Then for matchmaking, use their level minus how much Player Rating they have to match them with players (ex. You're level 10 and you have -1 "player rating" point, for matchmaking you're considered a level 9). Whenever they stay to the end of a match, If they lose the match, they Gain 1 "Player Rating" point for not quitting and if they win the match, they gain 1/2 of a "player rating" . This keeps the Rage quitters out of high level play, while low levels get rewarded by having much less rage quitters over time. In addition a "player rating" might be viable in a players name or stats for other players, but is not needed.
Most fair reward so far:
  • For every match a player stays in the same lobby give them a rolling bonus (may or may not have a cap) to convince players to stay in the same lobby and not quit.

Old OP.
Spoiler

Edited by Necro, November 23 2012 - 01:47 PM.

#2 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 11:59 PM

Losing 2% of your total Hawken points for exiting a game_ It can add up really fast if you continually quit. Also since you have to purposely exit the game for it to happen then if you D/C it wouldn't effect you. There are ways around it but it takes a lot of time.

Or you can have a debuff for 10 minutes that lessens your damage by x%. If you want to play another map without the debuff your going to have to wait a while.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#3 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 12:20 AM

View PostSylhiri, on November 20 2012 - 11:59 PM, said:

Losing 2% of your total Hawken points for exiting a game_ It can add up really fast if you continually quit. Also since you have to purposely exit the game for it to happen then if you D/C it wouldn't effect you. There are ways around it but it takes a lot of time.

Good

Or you can have a debuff for 10 minutes that lessens your damage by x%.

Hurts the whole team

Edited by Necro, November 21 2012 - 12:20 AM.

#4 Sicarius_X

Sicarius_X

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationI am normally at computer desk. Or university

Posted November 21 2012 - 12:36 AM

I agree with the 2% thing, or a 10minute wait. But I don't want the next team they play with punished for it. Also if you left a game recently, i.e past 8-12 hours, the wait goes up to 30 mins, then an hour, then 2 hours.

Edited by Sicarius_X, November 21 2012 - 12:37 AM.

#5 Fillyshy

Fillyshy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 02:27 AM

Yes

Please

Half the matches i play i end up finishing against a full team and on my team its me and maybe 2 others

It really does take a lot of the fun out of the game

#6 Etan

Etan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationMInnesota

Posted November 21 2012 - 02:45 AM

it completly ruins the game. I feel no satisfaction when i win against a 2 man team with my 5.... I usually switch teams so its more fair and try to win that way. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.
Posted Image

#7 Dread_Lord_Pitr

Dread_Lord_Pitr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationColumbia Internet

Posted November 21 2012 - 03:12 AM

Right now there are MAJOR balance issues, and at times matchmaking seems to be doing...
Well, nothing but stack up good players against either obvious newbies or people having a bad night.
So what do you expect will happen _
People get fed up with getting steamrolled, so they leave, and i can't say i blame them.
I sat with my brother while he played this morning, at some point he played a TDM match where the enemy team just kept camping around wherever he and his team would spawn, or in close proximity to it, and they would steamroll single players with Bruisers and Rocketeers...

This is a problem, and not just balance one, it a problem with people being giant Fuzzy Bunnies, just because they can.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. -George Orwell's Animal Farm
BEGIN Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK
GCS d_ s: a- C++++ UL++++ P+++ L++++ E--- W+(++) N++ o+++ K+++ w--- !O M-- V-- PS+++ PE+++ Y(++) PGP+++ t* 5(-) X R- tv- b- DI-- D- G++ e++ h* r% y_
END Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK

#8 MK501

MK501

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted November 21 2012 - 04:06 AM

Even scarier is that I've seen people rage quit ( no disconnection, as you could tell from the chat ) even when they were on the winning side in siege mode !....
Posted Image

#9 Korriban87

Korriban87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationA galaxy far far away...

Posted November 21 2012 - 04:26 AM

Do something like in League of Legends, you leave the 1st time you havbe to wait 5mins in order to enter a new game, 2nd time 15min, 3rd time 30 min... and so on an' on an' on an' on

Also losing exp is good.

#10 StormTec

StormTec

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 04:57 AM

I think we're all forgetting that, sometimes, people actually have to leave a game for a legitimate reason, guys.

I, for one, would hate to lose 2% of credits/XP/whatever just because I got a phone call, or someone's at the door, or I just realised that I need to head out right now. You might argue that 2% on a very sporadic basis isn't much but that's still 2% I would be unfairly losing. There has to be a more elegant solution to this, surely_

Wait times would probably be better, since if you have to leave a game for a legitimate reason, you're probably going to be gone for a given amount of time anyway. However, I suppose that won't stop people rage-quitting anyway and just, god forbid, doing something else for 5-10 minutes...but that would still be a slight inconvenience to them that might deter some rage quitters, I suppose.

Another thing: When you die, you don't spawn again until you hit deploy, right (I don't know if the game auto-spawns you after a while since I always just hit deploy lol)_ So what's stopping people from just hanging in the garage if they've decided they don't want to play but don't want to incur a penalty for leaving mid-match_

Edited by StormTec, November 21 2012 - 04:57 AM.

#11 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 05:01 AM

I'd rather let people ragequit.

The point of persistent lobbies is that when they first start up you get lots of ragequitters then over time you build up a group that doesn't quit. First game sucks, second is slightly better, and on and on.

#12 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 21 2012 - 05:04 AM

Here's the only problem with punishing ragequitters: How do you differentiate between ragequitting and legitimate leaving (e.g. losing Internet connectivity)_ I'd really hate to lose 2% of my Hawken credits every time my cable modem burps. (Mine is actually quite reliable, but for a few weeks, once, I'd get disconnected two or three times a night.)

And even if you set up a way to tell "legitimate" disconnections from ragequitting, effective ragequitters will just trigger the "legitimate" ways out instead. Oops, the router's power cable got yanked just as I was about to lose this match. Oh dear, how terrible. Good thing I didn't get that 2% penalty.

It's not an easy problem to solve, or it'd be solved already.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#13 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 06:33 AM

Punitive measures levied against people who quit a game is too much stick and not enough carrot; the devs have said that this will be a vegge-based game thus keeping the amount of cellulose to a minimum, and I agree with this philosophy.  There are a million valid reasons why someone quits a game, even a string of games, and seeking to enforce a one-size-fits-all punitive measure such of the kind being discussed here is rather short-sighted.  Hawken is not a game like LoL whereby a leaving player's empty seat can never be filled by a newcomer thus Hawken will not benefit from a LoL-esque solution.

Team stacking is the problem we're talking about here, not quitters per sé.  We already have the option of voluntary team switching when the numbers become skewed but that alone will not address the problem.  The devs have already said that they've considered rewarding players for sticking with a stacked team.  (How that could be implemented I don't know, perhaps by applying some sort of multiplier to rewards based on how many players you were outnumbered by.)  Whatever the solution, handing out punishment to quitters is not the answer for Hawken.  There is also an element of just sucking it up and accepting that drop-in/drop-out team games have always, and will always, suffer from team stacking in its various forms.

TL;DR: Punitive measures against quitters is not the answer.

#14 Dread_Lord_Pitr

Dread_Lord_Pitr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 06:49 AM

View Postdefekt, on November 21 2012 - 06:33 AM, said:

Punitive measures levied against people who quit a game is too much stick and not enough carrot; the devs have said that this will be a vegge-based game thus keeping the amount of cellulose to a minimum, and I agree with this philosophy.  There are a million valid reasons why someone quits a game, even a string of games, and seeking to enforce a one-size-fits-all punitive measure such of the kind being discussed here is rather short-sighted.  Hawken is not a game like LoL whereby a leaving player's empty seat can never be filled by a newcomer thus Hawken will not benefit from a LoL-esque solution.

Team stacking is the problem we're talking about here, not quitters per sé.  We already have the option of voluntary team switching when the numbers become skewed but that alone will not address the problem.  The devs have already said that they've considered rewarding players for sticking with a stacked team.  (How that could be implemented I don't know, perhaps by applying some sort of multiplier to rewards based on how many players you were outnumbered by.)  Whatever the solution, handing out punishment to quitters is not the answer for Hawken.  There is also an element of just sucking it up and accepting that drop-in/drop-out team games have always, and will always, suffer from team stacking in its various forms.

Can only agree to that. (would have just 'liked' it, but i seem to have run into my daily quota... AGAIN.)
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. -George Orwell's Animal Farm
GCS d_ s: a- C++++ UL++++ P+++ L++++ E--- W+(++) N++ o+++ K+++ w--- !O M-- V-- PS+++ PE+++ Y(++) PGP+++ t* 5(-) X R- tv- b- DI-- D- G++ e++ h* r% y_

#15 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 06:50 AM

View PostDread_Lord_Pitr, on November 21 2012 - 06:49 AM, said:

View Postdefekt, on November 21 2012 - 06:33 AM, said:

Can only agree to that. (would have just 'liked' it, but i seem to have run into my daily quota... AGAIN.)
There's a 'Like' limit_!  Christ on a bike, I must be a right old curmudgeon!

Edit: There is a limit!  I've just reached it - but I had to try and reach it.  ;)

Edited by defekt, November 21 2012 - 07:00 AM.

#16 Dread_Lord_Pitr

Dread_Lord_Pitr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 07:32 AM

Try dealing with stacked teams all day, and then coming to the conclusion every thread about it is right, and then liking all the posts that make sense...
Ads up rather quickly.

#17 Titzilla

Titzilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationBehind Cover

Posted November 21 2012 - 12:18 PM

People who are in favor of punishments also seem to forget that at the moment, there are extreme issues with connections. People are frequently having to quit a game at the start due to not being able to actually deploy. To punish them for connectivity issues would be a bad idea.
Posted Image

#18 D3thpool

D3thpool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth

Posted November 21 2012 - 12:43 PM

again the game starts to burn out for me.
mostly team balance wise
edit2: most of my games are again plagued with ragequitters/leavers

even when politly asking the other team if SOMEONE could switch (when its 3vs6) nets me replies like "i dont want to ruin ma killstreak
also shameless gg taunting after 3vs6 is beginning to get on my nerves

Edited by D3thpool, November 21 2012 - 12:48 PM.

"The World is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind"

H.P. Lovecraft

#19 z121231211

z121231211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 12:45 PM

View PostTitzilla, on November 21 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

People who are in favor of punishments also seem to forget that at the moment, there are extreme issues with connections. People are frequently having to quit a game at the start due to not being able to actually deploy. To punish them for connectivity issues would be a bad idea.
Yeah I'd just leave the "no xp for the round" in. It discourages people from quitting a match they've invested some time in, while not being such a huge deal if you get a connection issue. Unless you get disconnected after a 40 minute round which, considering Hawken is a fast-paced FPS with mechs, shouldn't happen.
Desert Fox

#20 FluxX

FluxX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 01:09 PM

Rolling bonuses for completing a round_ A "star" rating for players_ More "complete" games get more stars. Stars cannot be spent, they are just "kudos"_

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users