HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Tired of people rage quitting. Punish them or reward people for staying_

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

Poll: Punishment or Rewards, what is better_ (142 member(s) have cast votes)

How should be deal with the cases of people quitting_

1. Punish people for quitting. (14 votes [9.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.86%

2. Reward people for staying. (58 votes [40.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.85%

3. A little bit of both. (36 votes [25.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.35%

4. Do nothing. It will solve itself with more players. (26 votes [18.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.31%

5. Other / None of the above. (please explain below) (8 votes [5.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 01:15 PM

it's pretty easy to see when someone is quitting at at legitimate time, if there is only x minutes left in a losing game and someone leaves they prolly quit. 5 minutes of penalty wouldn't hurt someone who had to leave, then if they do it again in another x minutes add another 10 minutes and so on and so forth.

It might be because were in beta and the room doesn't fill up too fast when someone leaves but still, some people just quit to not lose so i think a "games quit" stat would be good to deter them.

#22 Dread_Lord_Pitr

Dread_Lord_Pitr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationColumbia Internet

Posted November 21 2012 - 02:41 PM

@ Necro : But you are ignoring points like the one i made, and the one D3thPool made : people getting steamrolled due to VERY poor matchmaking/teambalance.
It's not about 'oh i'm going to lose, let's quit' then, but more like 'well these guys can kiss my Fuzzy Bunny, i'm done playing with these jerks'.

I've been in that situation 4 times today, and for me it's not even a matter i need to think about; if i'm being steamrolled and more than 2 people on my team leave, then i'm not going to stay and indulge the other team.
People who feel game imbalance isn't their problem and won't switch even early on in the round, when anything is still possible (and i'm especially looking at the "clan members" here!) are as big a part of this issue as the faulty matchmaking.

Edited by Dread_Lord_Pitr, November 21 2012 - 02:42 PM.

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. -George Orwell's Animal Farm
BEGIN Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK
GCS d_ s: a- C++++ UL++++ P+++ L++++ E--- W+(++) N++ o+++ K+++ w--- !O M-- V-- PS+++ PE+++ Y(++) PGP+++ t* 5(-) X R- tv- b- DI-- D- G++ e++ h* r% y_
END Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK

#23 StormTec

StormTec

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 02:48 PM

I think the stacked teams issue is a separate issue, but won't auto-balancing the sides once they get too heavily skewed fix that_ It's not perfect - people will argue that they might get switched to a losing team after putting so much effort on their current team to get them to the advantage - but, y'know, it means people won't have to sit through getting steamrolled while heavily outnumbered either. Maybe it could be configured to auto-balance using the players most recently joined_

I'm all for incentives for sticking through a game rather than punishments for leaving one.

Edited by StormTec, November 21 2012 - 02:49 PM.

#24 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 02:50 PM

I realize that once someone leaves it makes more people want to leave, so 1st you put something in to deter it, a lockout time that can add up.

Then just in-case people leave, when launch comes there will be more people to fill the missing blank spot left by people who leave but that doesn't fix the problem yet.

Here i also have this thread. discussing how we can convince players to switch teams. Having punishments for quitting and rewards for evening teams allows for players to keep even matches.

#25 Dread_Lord_Pitr

Dread_Lord_Pitr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationColumbia Internet

Posted November 21 2012 - 02:57 PM

I'm sorry Necro, but i disagree on the punishments.
Again, what if someone just gets disconnected _
Or REALLY needs to use the bathroom _
Or has to answer a phone call they know will take too long and get them idle kicked _

You cannot discern between a lot of these, even server side it's hard to figure it out, and i do not believe in punishing the innocent because 'they might be ragequitting'.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. -George Orwell's Animal Farm
BEGIN Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK
GCS d_ s: a- C++++ UL++++ P+++ L++++ E--- W+(++) N++ o+++ K+++ w--- !O M-- V-- PS+++ PE+++ Y(++) PGP+++ t* 5(-) X R- tv- b- DI-- D- G++ e++ h* r% y_
END Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK

#26 Titzilla

Titzilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationBehind Cover

Posted November 21 2012 - 03:20 PM

Then there's the issue of dealing with quits vs disconnects. While it is possible to distinguish, once people who REALLY take the game too seriously would just disconnect their internet or something to count as a "disconnect." Punishing only quitting would lead to work-arounds, while punishing everything is unjustly hurting people who don't have control over it.
Posted Image

#27 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 21 2012 - 03:21 PM

When you can determine the difference between a full-on, 100% did it on purpose, ragequit and any other legitimate reason for disconnecting from a game (including a power outage), then we can talk punishments for ragequitters, Necro.

I'll be interested to hear your solution.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#28 StormTec

StormTec

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 03:22 PM

...Which is why better end-of-game rewards would be a better idea.

#29 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 03:25 PM

View PostDread_Lord_Pitr, on November 21 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

Again, what if someone just gets disconnected _
Or REALLY needs to use the bathroom _
Or has to answer a phone call they know will take too long and get them idle kicked _

I understand your concerns, but the system can differ from someone quitting and someone disconnecting.
(if your disconnecting your router to rage quit uninstall)

Also, 5 minutes for someone using the bathroom or on the phone doesn't hurt them, it's 3 minutes for an idle kick.

It's 5 minutes because if you quit a lot those 5 minutes will add up, lets say you have a 15 minute counter to keep track of how many times someone quits and every quit adds another 5 minutes. that wont effect the average person who doesn't rage quit, sure they might lose out 10 minutes of play time at most but to me that's worth the matches that I've either been 5v2 or 2v5 in.

The 2% or 1% thing, how about forget about it_ Or even better it only effects those who have quit 3 times and have a 15 minute wait.

There are ways to keep the punishments from the innocent people who just need to leave for a while.

Edited by Necro, November 21 2012 - 03:27 PM.

#30 TheChaffeemancer

TheChaffeemancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 03:26 PM

Ya know what's a great way to maintain a player base_ Punishing them for not wanting to stick around in unfun games!
Beep beep, Kiwi's a Chaffeemancer.

#31 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 03:35 PM

View PostTheChaffeemancer, on November 21 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

Ya know what's a great way to maintain a player base_ Punishing them for not wanting to stick around in unfun games!
Were not talking about leaving in un-fair games.

The only time I'm ever in one is when people leave because they can't handle dying a few times or start losing. this causes in imbalance in player numbers and creates the unfair gameplay.

Things that should happen for it to stop in my opinion are:
  • Deterrents for quitting.
  • Rewards for staying in the same match group.
  • Rewards for evening out teams.
  • Auto-balancing for newly joined players.
Also once the game launches there will be a greater player base to fill missing gaps for player leaving so some of it will fix itself with more players.

Edited by Necro, November 21 2012 - 03:42 PM.

#32 Titzilla

Titzilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationBehind Cover

Posted November 21 2012 - 03:44 PM

Carrots always work better than sticks in these cases, as the stick hurts random pedestrians.
Posted Image

#33 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 04:18 PM

I can see a lot of people would rather like rewards more then punishments.

If everyone is for rewards what are some other then rewarding for being in the same match for a long time_

#34 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 06:25 PM

I'm against anything.

Let ragequitters quit. Them leaving means the next game will have players who aren't fuzzy bunnies.

#35 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted November 21 2012 - 08:21 PM

Reward those that stay always pays out better. Rewards are a punishment as well since you punish yourself for not getting it. It puts the whole thing in the client's hands.

The game currently does have a reward/punishment feature. As it stands I believe the only way to get your hp and xp points is to stick it out to the end of a round to begin with (this is a reward). Leaving early hurts you. If there was to be a punishment it should only be as harsh as a flat % games left stat. Nothing more. 2% hp drop is too much. You don't take away something a person has legitimately earn. That would be considered bad. It could punish some ppl for leaving because they have to feed their kid or run and pick up their wife.. ya know.. things that are more important than a game in real life kinda stuff. They should not be punished plain and simple.

So as it currently stands there is 1 downside to leaving early. You get no xp/hp based off your game. It should also save your stats too, but as of now I don't believe it does. That would stop those dropping at the end to save their stats if they did poorly. This is a pretty good punishment for leaving early and reward for staying.

Don't hate people for wanting to play in a fun game. Lots of ppl rage out because they are tired of their teammates or find they are just not doing as well as they want to be doing. Or they are fighting against someone far superior and the teams are just not balanced. I don't blame them for leaving. I would too. Granted I've yet to rage quit out of any game, but boy has there been some that tempted me.

#36 Spiderz

Spiderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationMarcoola Beach, QLD, AUS

Posted November 21 2012 - 09:30 PM

we definitely need this! this would be a game changer! big ups to Necro!
DAMN SON! WHERE'D YOU FIND THIS!_
i want keybinding that makes my mech play this tune with acouple twirling beacon lights.
click banner for clan info
Posted Image

#37 RipperT

RipperT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationEarth, last time I checked

Posted November 21 2012 - 10:05 PM

You should add none of the above to your poll choices when asking questions like this. Currently matches are small and I believe that as the size limit is increased and traffic increases on the servers that this issue will work itself out.

#38 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 10:12 PM

done, even though doing nothing doesn't seem optimal to me, at least putting a games quit stat would be cool so I can tell if someone is a sore loser.

#39 RipperT

RipperT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationEarth, last time I checked

Posted November 21 2012 - 10:16 PM

I simply believe that this is an issue that cannot be repaired to everyones satisfaction and that it may be related partially to the current state of the matchmaker.

Thanks for adjusting the poll. A simple None of the above would suffice though.

#40 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 10:18 PM

I'll add a other/none of the above for other options.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users