HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Tired of people rage quitting. Punish them or reward people for staying_

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

Poll: Punishment or Rewards, what is better_ (142 member(s) have cast votes)

How should be deal with the cases of people quitting_

1. Punish people for quitting. (14 votes [9.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.86%

2. Reward people for staying. (58 votes [40.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.85%

3. A little bit of both. (36 votes [25.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.35%

4. Do nothing. It will solve itself with more players. (26 votes [18.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.31%

5. Other / None of the above. (please explain below) (8 votes [5.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 RipperT

RipperT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationEarth, last time I checked

Posted November 21 2012 - 10:29 PM

The reason I did not vote for the reward player for changing sides is that today in a match, being on the smaller team and sort of holding on, someone changed over and we won the match. Changing sides is a gamble. Roll the dice and consider it a challenge to your ability. One other player stated in another one of those unbalanced matches where no one switched to balance; "I feel dirty", after the base fuzzy bunny was over.

It is my belief that it will be a minimal issue by the time the game goes live.

#42 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationAt the back of the North Wind

Posted November 21 2012 - 10:39 PM

Positive reinforcement trumps negative punishment any day.

Players who leave may do so without malicious intent, such as due to intermittent internet connections and lower-end hardware crashing. Punishing people for either by implementing a "leaver" mechanism is counter-intuitive in what should be a FPS game.

I myself leave servers that have really horrible lagspikes and high latency. I don't want to be punished trying to find an optimum server that my internet can handle.
Posted Image

#43 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 10:41 PM

I've switched sides twice now, usually when my team mates are jerks about steamrolling an un-evened match, Once I lost and once I won.

Doesn't change anything though because instead of you being outmatch it's them until another player joins.
(that's of course in a 3-2 not a 4-2)

#44 shosuro

shosuro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 11:16 PM

Improve the team balancing, ie. reshuffle teams if there is more than 1 player difference and include timer for quitters. I finished several matches now 6vs2, 4vs1 and similar. It is no fun at all. And actually in capture modes, even one person difference will completely imbalance the match.

Punitive measures are bad, but timer is acceptable I believe.

As for rewarding people for staying, this is counterproductive. What if someone stays, but just goes afk for the whole match_ Reward for staying is his and his team is still on disadvantage. It will decrease the number of ragequitters, but might increase the number of afkers, or people that just run and hide.

Edited by shosuro, November 21 2012 - 11:18 PM.

#45 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 22 2012 - 12:10 AM

View PostD3thpool, on November 21 2012 - 12:43 PM, said:

also shameless gg taunting after 3vs6 is beginning to get on my nerves
That's not taunting, that's sportsmanship. Even if you're blown out, it's sportsman to say good game.

That said, 3v6 does kind of suck, but the alternative - auto-balancing - is, in a lot of ways, the much greater evil.

Edited by DarkPulse, November 22 2012 - 12:10 AM.

Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#46 Nukerock

Nukerock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 01:01 AM

Personally I do not feel affected by RQing in other FPS as long as someone else arrives to replace the leaver its all good.
The problem here is that the matchmaking is not sending enough people into the games, this was not really an issue when the server browser was enabled.

You can still reward people for finishing games sure, punishing I feel is completely out of place, I've been playing FPS for a long time and the best FPS never had an issue with people leaving, most of them did not even have rewards or matchmaking and it still worked out.
If people are not having fun there's no reason for them to be. held, what does it matter to you as long as they are replaced_

Edited by Nukerock, November 22 2012 - 01:02 AM.

#47 Zorvaz

Zorvaz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 02:51 AM

Between punishing or rewarding I would suggest a reward for staying due to people sometimes having a legitimate reason for leaving. Although, both rewarding and punishing could just result in players going afk until the match is over.

Instead, they could make games where people have left a "high priority" match and send people to them before others in order to fill them up quickly after someone has left. This would hopefully solve the problem without encouraging players from going afk and just waiting to get their reward / avoiding a penalty.

#48 D3thpool

D3thpool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth

Posted November 22 2012 - 02:51 AM

View PostDarkPulse, on November 22 2012 - 12:10 AM, said:

View PostD3thpool, on November 21 2012 - 12:43 PM, said:

also shameless gg taunting after 3vs6 is beginning to get on my nerves
That's not taunting, that's sportsmanship. Even if you're blown out, it's sportsman to say good game.

That said, 3v6 does kind of suck, but the alternative - auto-balancing - is, in a lot of ways, the much greater evil.

sportsmanship__
imo a gg is when its fairly matched & long game with both sides even.
but roflstomping 3 guys with a team of 6 is imo just plain trolling/arrogant

/thread

imo people should be rewarded for staying in the game, but only in siege (maybe missle assault too)

Edited by D3thpool, November 22 2012 - 02:53 AM.

"The World is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind"

H.P. Lovecraft

#49 S1LV3R

S1LV3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted November 22 2012 - 03:22 AM

tl;dr other posts, but reward is the best in my humble opinion. If you start punishing players, they eventually get sick of the game and the community will suffer eventually a lack of players instead of a growing community.

#50 Dread_Lord_Pitr

Dread_Lord_Pitr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationColumbia Internet

Posted November 22 2012 - 05:17 AM

View PostZorvaz, on November 22 2012 - 02:51 AM, said:

This would hopefully solve the problem without encouraging players from going afk and just waiting to get their reward / avoiding a penalty.

3 minute idle = kick, so...
Doubt that'll happen a lot.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. -George Orwell's Animal Farm
BEGIN Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK
GCS d_ s: a- C++++ UL++++ P+++ L++++ E--- W+(++) N++ o+++ K+++ w--- !O M-- V-- PS+++ PE+++ Y(++) PGP+++ t* 5(-) X R- tv- b- DI-- D- G++ e++ h* r% y_
END Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK

#51 Russhole

Russhole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 11:51 AM

League of Legends punishes RQs because you get locked into a match. No point doing it in an FPS game where a new player can replace a leaver.

#52 Thygon

Thygon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationDarkside of the moon

Posted November 22 2012 - 12:05 PM

I'm just thinking that the best way would be to reward the team who has less players. So even they are losing, they would get some extra "underdog" -XP.

So it wouldn't suck so much to lose 3vs6 situation if you could get extra xp out of it. Some kind of survivalist bonus for the time your team had less players.

#53 Russhole

Russhole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 12:11 PM

Not a bad idea.

#54 Rokth

Rokth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationThe Internet

Posted November 22 2012 - 01:41 PM

In another thread I noticed a few mentions of TF2 not penalizing people who abandon a game(Rage Quit). I offer an excerpt from the wiki.

Spoiler
Please do your due diligence and read what is outlined in the link as information can change with recent updates.

Or you can be lazy and read what I posted and just take my word for it.

Edited by Rokth, November 22 2012 - 01:44 PM.

#55 Russhole

Russhole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 01:58 PM

Rokth, that's for the Mann vs Machine game mode...not even close to normal TF2 gameplay.

#56 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 02:16 PM

But it is there regardless, i don't think the average user should be punished by the rules made but chronic quitters should be penalized if it hurts the team.

#57 Russhole

Russhole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 02:40 PM

I just hope that if they do try to crack down on RQs, they implement a system where it doesn't cause people to just go AFK in spawn. That's WORSE than just outright quitting, because they can't be replaced.

#58 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 02:43 PM

They will get kicked in 3 minutes even if they afk but yeah that doesn't sound very good.

#59 Coot

Coot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted November 22 2012 - 02:44 PM

I agree 100% there should be a penalty for leaving games early. Whether it be you don't get any of your exp/HC earned throughout the game or when a ELO type system is inplace a loss of rating.

Yes you can argue, disconnects/having to leave for IRL, but if thats the case suck it up it's just 1 game you lose out to fix a serious issue.

LoL and many other games already do this and would be crazy if Hawken doesn't follow similar suit.

#60 Russhole

Russhole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 02:48 PM

View PostNecro, on November 22 2012 - 02:43 PM, said:

They will get kicked in 3 minutes even if they afk but yeah that doesn't sound very good.

3 minutes is enough to lose a seige match in its current form...it would have to be improved.

Edited by Russhole, November 22 2012 - 02:49 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users