HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Tired of people rage quitting. Punish them or reward people for staying_

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

Poll: Punishment or Rewards, what is better_ (142 member(s) have cast votes)

How should be deal with the cases of people quitting_

1. Punish people for quitting. (14 votes [9.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.86%

2. Reward people for staying. (58 votes [40.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.85%

3. A little bit of both. (36 votes [25.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.35%

4. Do nothing. It will solve itself with more players. (26 votes [18.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.31%

5. Other / None of the above. (please explain below) (8 votes [5.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#161 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted November 26 2012 - 01:26 PM

I may be overboard with my actions but it's entirely frustrating to have all your games 3/2. I've played over a good 30-40 games and I can only recall two games where no one ragequit. It is not fun for anyone playing those games what so ever. Every test since the first CB1 is a rapid increase of ragequitters and it's ruining the game for everyone.

Rewards don't do jack, even more so at top level. When people leave they don't get EXP or HP points, they really don't seem to mind now do they.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#162 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 26 2012 - 01:34 PM

View PostDread_Lord_Pitr, on November 26 2012 - 01:17 PM, said:

View PostElix, on November 26 2012 - 01:12 PM, said:

View PostSylhiri, on November 26 2012 - 09:57 AM, said:

When you have a match with 3v3 and one person dies and ragequits right at the beginning leaving a team at a disadvantage then I think they should have as many deaths as the two players that stuck around and fought obtained.
This, right here.

You do not have the authority to decide to control someone else's play experience like that. Sorry, that's asking for it.

Not sure if i'm reading your comment right, but here goes (with apologies if i misunderstood your point, it's kinda fuzzy to me ATM) :
If one acts as Sylhiri does, aren't they then also deciding to control someone else's playing experience _
That would be the specific behaviour I'm referring to, in fact. I can see how it could be interpreted as supporting Sylhiri, but I was addressing him/her (your profile says 'gender: not telling' so...) directly in my post. "You" refers to Sylhiri.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#163 Dread_Lord_Pitr

Dread_Lord_Pitr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationColumbia Internet

Posted November 26 2012 - 01:40 PM

Well Elix, generally 'This, right here' is used as a form of agreement on forums, hence my confusion ;)
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. -George Orwell's Animal Farm
BEGIN Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK
GCS d_ s: a- C++++ UL++++ P+++ L++++ E--- W+(++) N++ o+++ K+++ w--- !O M-- V-- PS+++ PE+++ Y(++) PGP+++ t* 5(-) X R- tv- b- DI-- D- G++ e++ h* r% y_
END Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK

#164 HellRik

HellRik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted November 26 2012 - 01:51 PM

Main problem is people forgot this is beta and correct me if I am wrong but they said they going to wipe XP anyway on game release.

Players are focussing too much on fun and xp ( gained or lost ) rather then helping the game designers to build a (close to) perfect game.

Rage quitters (the one that always shout/cry/acts angry in chats and forums) should simply be removed from the Beta until release. But thats me, good thing this isnt my compagny/game :P

Asking for them to fix something that doenst need to be fixed is waste of time...IMHO.
That said, this will be my last reply in this thread as all good and valid points have been talked. Again , rewarding people for staying in the game is a big no no for me. Removing points to poeple leaving the game too is a big no no.Thats why locking players out for max15mins is not a big deal and prevents player to look for the easy game because, unfortunatly, i know some are only playing to raise their K/D ratio and to boost their ego or to get pretty forum banners with foney stats. ;)

Losing and wining are both part of the fun to play. I you dont like losing thats a thing. If you can't bear it...well.../uninstall is the only option left for you.

Back to gaming. :D

Edited by HellRik, November 26 2012 - 01:56 PM.

Posted Image

#165 TheChaffeemancer

TheChaffeemancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted November 26 2012 - 01:55 PM

View PostHellRik, on November 26 2012 - 01:51 PM, said:

Main problem is people forgot this is beta and correct me if I am wrong but they said they going to wipe XP anyway on game release.

Players are focussing too much on fun and xp ( gained or lost ) rather then helping the game designers to build a (close to) perfect game.

Games have to be fun and getting XP ties directly into whether the game is good or not when it has a big impact on the game. The idea that beta testers shouldn't say whether or not something is fun is an absurd one.

Edited by TheChaffeemancer, November 26 2012 - 01:55 PM.

Beep beep, Kiwi's a Chaffeemancer.

#166 HellRik

HellRik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted November 26 2012 - 02:05 PM

View PostTheChaffeemancer, on November 26 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

Games have to be fun and getting XP ties directly into whether the game is good or not when it has a big impact on the game. The idea that beta testers shouldn't say whether or not something is fun is an absurd one.

Wasnt talking about not giving opinion and feedback, but talking about thoses who are pissed at the actual game and threatening to leave because they always lose and trowing the fault on the matchmaking system. Sorry for that part not beeing clear enough. That sentence was base only on the XP wipe, like your actual K/D ratio is worthless atm.

Edited by HellRik, November 26 2012 - 02:07 PM.

Posted Image

#167 Russhole

Russhole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted November 26 2012 - 07:37 PM

Rage quitters (the one that always shout/cry/acts angry in chats and forums) should simply be removed from the Beta until release. But thats me, good thing this isnt my compagny/game :P

Asking for them to fix something that doenst need to be fixed is waste of time...IMHO.
That said, this will be my last reply in this thread as all good and valid points have been talked. Again , rewarding people for staying in the game is a big no no for me. Removing points to poeple leaving the game too is a big no no.Thats why locking players out for max15mins is not a big deal and prevents player to look for the easy game because, unfortunatly, i know some are only playing to raise their K/D ratio and to boost their ego or to get pretty forum banners with foney stats. ;)

Losing and wining are both part of the fun to play. I you dont like losing thats a thing. If you can't bear it...well.../uninstall is the only option left for you.

Back to gaming. :D

I'm not going to waste my time being a punching bag.

The fact that people like me are ragequitting when teams are messed up just goes to help show what's wrong with the system.

Edited by Russhole, November 26 2012 - 07:38 PM.

#168 NBShoot_me

NBShoot_me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted November 26 2012 - 11:37 PM

One thing that currently sets Hawken apart from a few other games out there (F2P) that it has been compared to is that the teams are FLUID; people can join and leave games that are in progress whenever they please.  You don’t lose your credits/XP points if they leave, you just earn them more slowly from that point on until more people join.  No big deal.  Nothing is “stolen” from you, the game doesn’t stop and void everything you’ve done up until that point, it keeps going, even if you manage to empty the entire opposing team out.

If the teams were locked, I could almost understand some of the anger, almost, but they’re not.  Currently, either the player base is too small for the current MM to work properly, or the MM itself is broken and in need of repair.  Case in point, you can go lobby hopping four or five times hitting empty servers and then BLAM you hit a nearly full one in progress, or more typically, at the last 10 seconds or so of a game (kind of annoying).  If it were working, you’d think it’d throw you into a player starved game in progress instead of an empty one.  Then again, Hawken’s match maker will throw you into servers that aren’t even on the same continent as you that are EMPTY (using default settings here...).  Still trying to figure that one out.

Rage quitting when you have a full team consisting of fully leveled mechs verus a handful of lvl 8s and a bunch of lvl 0s is a GIVEN.  And this happens, a lot (though, usually not as extreme as a normal game is 2 vs 3 anyway).  If you drag your fully upgraded mech into a battle with a bunch of new people sitting at level 0 and grief the daylights out of them, they generally quit.  Don’t get mad at them, they’re doing what people who aren’t masochistic generally do, they see no benefit to being there and LEAVE (better than having them mic-swear and claim someone is haxorzing).

#169 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 27 2012 - 12:27 PM

One more thing, guys. If the no-sound bug occurs to me here then I'll leave the game. Most of the times, to not say always, I send a chat msg to report on that. This does not necessarily means that everyone do the same as me when that happens. Something to be considered in here as well, IMHO.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#170 Nibiki

Nibiki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 01:30 PM

Punishing people for leaving, or rewarding people for staying is absolutely the worst way to handle an undesired effect that's caused by factors generated by the game itself, not by the "baddie bad bad leavers".  The server browser is gone. The match making system doesn't populate games in progress as much as it should. Fix these things first.

#171 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 27 2012 - 02:45 PM

View PostLunaticCalm, on November 26 2012 - 10:22 AM, said:

A random idea: if a player gets autobalanced to the losing team or voluntarily evens out the teams, they get an hc/xp bonus. Perhaps they get all the winning team bonuses even though they were on the losing team_

The matchmaking system should also prioritize filling out unbalanced games before starting new games or adding a player to an even game.
This would be about the only way I would even begin to remotely entertain the idea of an autobalance. If I'm being swapped over to a losing side due to some other guy's ego, I want to be compensated for the likely loss.

Otherwise, I just leave too.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#172 NBShoot_me

NBShoot_me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 02:52 PM

Sequence of events may not be exact, but are close enough:

WoT used have a rage-quit problem (edit: still does...); people would leave which would cause their tanks to explode.  People complained that they were getting cheated out of credits and XP, so the devs modified the game.

Instead of exploding, tanks would just sit in place until someone destroyed them.  But. people would still get credits / XP from whatever the team managed to do in their absence... so people complained again because people were now botting to farm for credits and XP (and they still do).  So.. the devs... made another set of changes, which would prevent you from earning anything if you left the game but would suffer the full repair costs for your tank.. problem is, the players that bot weren't affected, only those that quit.  So now, you have to REPORT them, which hasn't affected the number of AFK/Bots much if any.  Also, since tanks no longer exploded upon quitting, people starting doing something called derpicide.  Basically, take a derp gun (SPG, or howitzer) park next to a wall or rock and fire at it point blank with explosive shells until you kill your own tank.  Takes some time, costly, but an easy out in WoT..

That was all fine and well for a time until the devs added physics, which added a fast and cheap way to yet again explode your tank depriving someone on the other team of XP and credits; drowning your tank or driving off a cliff.  Guess what, people are currently doing that.  So.. yet again, the community complained and the devs yet again capitulated.  Soon, everyone killing their own tanks with physics will get added repair costs for killing their tank, and guess what, people have already stated that the changes won’t change their gaming habits one bit (will be on par with derpicide at least).  Wash, rinse, and repeat..

Do you all REALLY want that HERE_ <_<

Edited by NBShoot_me, November 27 2012 - 02:53 PM.

#173 TheChaffeemancer

TheChaffeemancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 03:15 PM

View PostDarkPulse, on November 27 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

View PostLunaticCalm, on November 26 2012 - 10:22 AM, said:

A random idea: if a player gets autobalanced to the losing team or voluntarily evens out the teams, they get an hc/xp bonus. Perhaps they get all the winning team bonuses even though they were on the losing team_

The matchmaking system should also prioritize filling out unbalanced games before starting new games or adding a player to an even game.
This would be about the only way I would even begin to remotely entertain the idea of an autobalance. If I'm being swapped over to a losing side due to some other guy's ego, I want to be compensated for the likely loss.

Otherwise, I just leave too.

Tribes: Ascend gave you win XP if you got auto-balanced no matter what.
Beep beep, Kiwi's a Chaffeemancer.

#174 HellRik

HellRik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted November 27 2012 - 03:39 PM

View PostNibiki, on November 27 2012 - 01:30 PM, said:

Punishing people for leaving, or rewarding people for staying is absolutely the worst way to handle an undesired effect that's caused by factors generated by the game itself, not by the "baddie bad bad leavers".  The server browser is gone. The match making system doesn't populate games in progress as much as it should. Fix these things first.

THere ya go. You exactly put into words what I think.

Edit: Also...Jumping like grasshoper every20seconds worldwide is sure not helping an already stressed MM system.My best bet is if you leave a server to join a match about to end its due to the fact that one may have left that match for beeing roflstomped :P

Edited by HellRik, November 27 2012 - 03:43 PM.

Posted Image

#175 Houruck

Houruck

Final Siege Boss

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,190 posts
  • LocationBudapest, Hungary (UTC+2)

Posted November 29 2012 - 03:56 PM

View PostHouruck, on November 29 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

The game crashed 8 times for me today*. Luckily I almost always could join back the game. But not every time so it may looked like I was raqe quitting. I managed to level up my SS but it was hard because I did not always got the earned XP.

* 2 hours

Knight of the Holy Tree

CRITICAL ASSIST
United in Diversity, Divided by Zero

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

#176 Karaipantsu

Karaipantsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 09:49 PM

Wow, how the hell is this thread still going on_

#177 Flirx

Flirx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted November 30 2012 - 07:21 AM

I full heartily agree with this. Every time we start to loose people just up and quit. I will get left with just me on my team and that makes for some sucky game play. I would like to get a reword for me staying and getting my ass handed to me. The ones that stayed with me should get more xp or something special to show that we stuck with the ass beating. We the people that get our asses handed to us from lack of people on the team should get something for our pain as long as we have put in a good effort. The people that don't try should get a big kick in the shiny metal ars.
ЖFLIRXЖ

#178 Dread_Lord_Pitr

Dread_Lord_Pitr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationColumbia Internet

Posted November 30 2012 - 11:53 PM

Another big problem i've been noticing is the 'hey look my friend(s) is(are) on the other team!' attitude amongst a LOT of highly skilled players, who will blatantly ignore the fact that the teams are already stacked (or perhaps they switch because the teams are stacked, which makes it even worse) and switch teams, even mid/end game.

To say this doesn't particularly help the current problem would be an EPIC  understatement.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. -George Orwell's Animal Farm
BEGIN Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK
GCS d_ s: a- C++++ UL++++ P+++ L++++ E--- W+(++) N++ o+++ K+++ w--- !O M-- V-- PS+++ PE+++ Y(++) PGP+++ t* 5(-) X R- tv- b- DI-- D- G++ e++ h* r% y_
END Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK

#179 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted December 01 2012 - 01:32 AM

View PostDread_Lord_Pitr, on November 30 2012 - 11:53 PM, said:

Another big problem i've been noticing is the 'hey look my friend(s) is(are) on the other team!' attitude amongst a LOT of highly skilled players, who will blatantly ignore the fact that the teams are already stacked (or perhaps they switch because the teams are stacked, which makes it even worse) and switch teams, even mid/end game.

To say this doesn't particularly help the current problem would be an EPIC  understatement.
TBH the matchmaker and mid-match drop in matches today have been far more skewed than anything I;ve ever constructed with friends and/or clanmates
Though to be fair we try to sort things out evenly (most of us anyway :P)
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#180 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 01 2012 - 01:37 AM

View PostBeemann, on December 01 2012 - 01:32 AM, said:

View PostDread_Lord_Pitr, on November 30 2012 - 11:53 PM, said:

TBH the matchmaker and mid-match drop in matches today have been far more skewed than anything I;ve ever constructed with friends and/or clanmates
Though to be fair we try to sort things out evenly (most of us anyway :P)
Yeah.
Once we got a full 12 people, it would make some nicely balanced teams, then next round it would scramble teams.
... And it would be the most horribly stacked team possible. I mean, one team would end up being like NotKjell, Toryne, Beemann, JustJake, Zeshi and some random very lucky dude. Other team would end up me and 5 random new players or something like that.
When it balanced, it was awesome. When it didn't, it was painfully pathetic.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users