HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Tired of people rage quitting. Punish them or reward people for staying_

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

Poll: Punishment or Rewards, what is better_ (142 member(s) have cast votes)

How should be deal with the cases of people quitting_

1. Punish people for quitting. (14 votes [9.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.86%

2. Reward people for staying. (58 votes [40.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.85%

3. A little bit of both. (36 votes [25.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.35%

4. Do nothing. It will solve itself with more players. (26 votes [18.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.31%

5. Other / None of the above. (please explain below) (8 votes [5.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#181 Deu

Deu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationWhite Base

Posted December 01 2012 - 01:53 AM

There should be a ratio of games stayed in to games left. The higher your ratio the higher of a multiplier you get on your credits. It can be just a fraction of a difference but it would encourage people to play many games without leaving. The more games you don't leave the better. Or for each game you don't leave you gain a stack that increases credit gain. Once you leave a game you lose your stacks. Sorry if this is similar to someone else's idea but frak you for thinking I'd read a 9 page thread. :D

Posted Image

#182 Houruck

Houruck

Final Siege Boss

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,190 posts
  • LocationBudapest, Hungary (UTC+2)

Posted December 01 2012 - 06:08 AM

This is literal screenshot.

Posted Image

The game frozed when I was about to finish the last enemy holding the S3 point.
I do not know the outcome of the match but I am certain he killed me before my account timed out.

Knight of the Holy Tree

CRITICAL ASSIST
United in Diversity, Divided by Zero

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

#183 Rokth

Rokth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationThe Internet

Posted December 07 2012 - 12:42 AM

I keep seeing the same tired argument from rage deserters.
Crashing_ Solution. Punish those that actively press the quit key in match.
Downed internet connection_ Solution Make the client logout if there is a timeout.1
Real life "obligations"_ Learn to mange your time, we're all able to mange our bowels so why not_
Wanna leave_ Suffer a loss of xp and credits when you press the quit button.

Why do I say punish rage desertion_ Because it isn't any fun when a game becomes 5 vs 1 because some people wanted to play a winning game. I say only let them into a DM game  for the next 10 minutes after they log back in. Either counter my arguments or don't bother whining. Because that is all you are doing at this point.

1. I should say punish downed connections like rage desertion because let's face it, if your ISP is giving you trouble you need to give them a call and make them fix it. What's that_ Weather has downed your connection_ Why are you playing games when you are experiencing such extreme conditions to down telephone lines_ Shouldn't you be evacuating or at least calling them amberlamps_

Edit: I should also add in that rage desertion also doesn't help when we find that in many cases just one more meatshield can make the difference between winning and losing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to make analogues between fun and winning or losing. Rather I am arguing that it ceases to be fun when you know you are losing because someone rage deserted because the game wasn't going the way they wanted.

Edited by Rokth, December 07 2012 - 12:50 AM.

#184 z121231211

z121231211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted December 07 2012 - 02:51 AM

When I got to higher level play there was a lot less deserters. So I'm pretty much on the side of "It will fix itself". Also how could a deserter play Hawken for hours on end_

How about if you leave you only get half of the HP and EXP for the match_ That way if you have to leave or get DQed you still get something for the match, and if you're able to play there's a huge incentive to play a few more minutes.
Desert Fox

#185 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted December 07 2012 - 03:47 AM

View PostRokth, on December 07 2012 - 12:42 AM, said:

I keep seeing the same tired argument from rage deserters.
Crashing_ Solution. Punish those that actively press the quit key in match.
Hmm, let's see... oh, hello, Task Manager. What's that_ End process tree_ Oh, no! Hawken crashed! Whatever will I do_! Good thing I can just fire it back up from the launcher.

View PostRokth, on December 07 2012 - 12:42 AM, said:

Downed internet connection_ Solution Make the client logout if there is a timeout.1
1. I should say punish downed connections like rage desertion because let's face it, if your ISP is giving you trouble you need to give them a call and make them fix it. What's that_ Weather has downed your connection_ Why are you playing games when you are experiencing such extreme conditions to down telephone lines_ Shouldn't you be evacuating or at least calling them amberlamps_
Why should I, a player, be punished because some drunk moron hit a telephone pole two blocks up the street and took down the neighbourhood_ You also have never dealt with the more incompetent ISPs out there, and sometimes,you just don't have a choice to switch to a better option.

And before you say anything, no, I am not a ragequitter, nor am I defending ragequitters. As I already said in this thread, long ago, the first time the arguments got stated, if you use technical means to try and determine a legitimate crash versus a ragequit, the ragequitters will just figure out ways to trigger "legitimate" ways out of a match. And, at that point, you have a feature that is a net negative because it fails at the only thing it was designed to do. If this was a simple problem, Adhesive's been at work on Hawken for well over a year and they would've solved it by now.

Edited by Elix, December 07 2012 - 03:47 AM.

HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#186 IguanaMGT

IguanaMGT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted December 07 2012 - 06:00 AM

View PostStormTec, on November 21 2012 - 04:57 AM, said:

I think we're all forgetting that, sometimes, people actually have to leave a game for a legitimate reason, guys.
[...]
Wait times would probably be better, since if you have to leave a game for a legitimate reason, you're probably going to be gone for a given amount of time anyway. However, I suppose that won't stop people rage-quitting anyway and just, god forbid, doing something else for 5-10 minutes...but that would still be a slight inconvenience to them that might deter some rage quitters, I suppose.

I fully agree.

View PostStormTec, on November 21 2012 - 04:57 AM, said:

Another thing: When you die, you don't spawn again until you hit deploy, right (I don't know if the game auto-spawns you after a while since I always just hit deploy lol)_ So what's stopping people from just hanging in the garage if they've decided they don't want to play but don't want to incur a penalty for leaving mid-match_

The mechanism is already in place: if you wait too long in the lobby, the server kicks you out for inactivity. It even doesn't matter if you switch weapons periodically and I'm not sure about typing in the chat window. I think typing counts as active. (I think. Didn't test it.) The time between the matches and the timeout in the "server-garage" (_) (How is it called_) is just enough to go to the bathroom, for a drink or something so I'm fine with that.

#187 Alphalance

Alphalance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationAppleloosa

Posted December 07 2012 - 12:16 PM

I vote to award those who stay

For the longest time I wasn't able to afford a good internet connection and even now my area has service issues and I lose connection, (it's rare but happens more than I'd like) and I always got annoyed at doing well in a match, being dropped, and losing all the stats, points, and experience I would have received. I even got banded from a few games because I they thought I was rage quitting each time. Instead of punishing those who quit, award those who stay. Those who stay feel special and those, like me, who get dropped or kicked don't feel cheated of their time.

Edited by Alphalance, December 07 2012 - 12:16 PM.

Posted Image

We are the Brotherhood. We are a clan of Strength. We are a clan of Solidarity.

We are a clan of Steel. And our steel is as black as our blood.

Join us at http://blacksteelbrotherhood.enjin.com/home

#188 DM30

DM30

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationCanada, Eh_

Posted December 07 2012 - 12:44 PM

I would vote to reward people for staying, but the problem with that is that it would be pointless. People who quit a game mid match will lose all the XP and HP they gained in that match, while people who stay until the end get them as it is now anyway, so any kind of reward for staying until the end of a match would just amount to an XP/HP boost across the board, and is therefore pointless.

However, I do also agree that ragequitting can get really frustrating. Earlier this week I played in a string of games in a server, and in every single game at least half of the players in the server quit, usually resulting in a team imbalance. In one game I had all three of my teammates bail out as soon as we started losing, leaving me alone against four opponents. Not cool.

So, while I'm not a fan of punishing players, I would say the only effective solution would be to have some sort of penalty in place for repeated game quitting. Maybe have the game somehow keep track of who the repeat offenders are (say, two or three quits in a row or some persistent profile stat), and then implement some sort of penalty when it's fairly certain that they're not leaving for legit reasons. Out of all the suggestions I've seen, the time delay before being able to join another match seems like the best option.

The issue is doing this in a way that doesn't frustrate players to the point that they drop the game completely, which from a business standpoint would be a bad thing as well...

EDIT: Or Deu's idea is a good one too.

Edited by DM30, December 07 2012 - 12:49 PM.

#189 IguanaMGT

IguanaMGT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted December 07 2012 - 12:48 PM

View PostSylhiri, on November 24 2012 - 05:57 PM, said:

I actually found a small solution in my own way. Whenever I play a match and if someone ragequits on my team or the enemy team I will try to remember their name.

Good luck remembering all those callsigns once the game goes open beta and takes off. Not to mention that noticable number of guys made more than one account in Hawken.

View PostSylhiri, on November 24 2012 - 05:57 PM, said:

If someone wants to keep ragequitting and ruining matches then I'll give them a damn good reason >.>

Yes, and what happens if you misjudge the player for rage-quitter by a coincidence_ E.g. his team is loosing and his game crashes or connection drops (as seen a LOT of times after the guy returns to the same game and mentions it in the chat). Then at best you generate confusion, at worst you generate the rage and hate, and give the player a real reason to rage-quit.
Not to mention a similar callsigns and mistaken identities etc. :)
Another thing is you are punishing your team, sorts of, breaking the team play because of your separate goals and objective(s) and they could see it like you aren't playing with them.

Nah, I don't see this method acceptable to adopt. (Myself, I mean. :))

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users