• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

(Unknown)1590d2c747fabd

(Unknown)1590d2c747fabd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Ok... cause I like the idea *AND* I know it will ruffle a few feathers :pirate: , this thread got me thinking: https://community.pl...ries/?hl=portal

How about a mech with a "wormhole gun"? (yes yes... there may be copyright issues but work with me here.)

So basically it would be able to establish a direct link between any two points in a map. But there can only be one link at any time per "Transport Mech", that link can be used by either side and in either direction, and when the "Transport Mech" is killed their link dissapears.

Flame away good sirs!

Portal_Cake_is_a_lie_by_EntaraXia.jpg

Sg1stargatefront.jpg

ptr-eg-wormhole.jpg

• WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW likes this
A little link from the "old days" because it seems I lost all my street cred with the forum reboot:

http://hawken.mirror...primary-weapon/

Siamenis

Siamenis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

What happens if Portal Mech gets destroyed while someone is passing through the wormhole?  :tongue: 

Joke aside, this could be an interesting addition mechanic-wise, but could lead to abuse, especially since there is no limitations on number of types of mechs that can be in a team. Three of these can make sure that the rest of the team can be practically anywhere on the map in matter of seconds. This would also nullify the strategic implications of classic travelling from point A to point B. 

What about an item that requires two Techs to maintain the wormhole? 

(Unknown)1590d2c747fabd

(Unknown)1590d2c747fabd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

<SNIP>
What about an item that requires two Techs to maintain the wormhole? 

Interesting... so each Transport Mech can only lay down one side of a wormhole? Would be an interesting mechanic and help with any "copywrite" issues.

So

1 Transport is "useless"

2 Transports make 1 tunnel

3 Transports can still only make one tunnel (3rd is effectively useless)

4 Transports can make 2 tunnels

I was also going to suggest that their primary weapons were weak and perhaps moved slowly like a C class. IMHO this would mean that if you had a full team of 6 Transport mechs they would be at a dissadvantage. (Don't forget the wormholes would work for both sides regardless of who established them.)

Another option would be make it a special ability that times out after a while or upon death. Or a 2x use item that takes up big number of slots on C classes and is carried over their heads and both sides have to be deployed one at a time by the same mech and can be destroyed like current barriers:

A little link from the "old days" because it seems I lost all my street cred with the forum reboot:

oyoy

oyoy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

New Item: Infinite Improbability Drive.

Gives you the opportunity to avoid certain death. Just a random place with no possibility of taking advantage of the situation. :yes:

• Tankman95, eth0, Bergwein and 1 other like this

Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

And while on the case, let us add the Tsar bomb behind a pay wall and give the game to EA publishers.

Bad idea. This can get so bad so quickly.

CRITICAL ASSIST

United in Diversity, Divided by Zero
v9KKbH9.png
Spoiler

Aristo

Aristo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Would be OP on Siege or Missile Assault; your whole team could instantly deliver EU/storm the AA and silos. The importance of boosting, stealth, etc. would be diminished.

• Aregon likes this

HawkenAristoSig_zpsr4v3rexh.png

Time_Guardian

Time_Guardian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Would be OP on Siege or Missile Assault; your whole team could instantly deliver EU/storm the AA and silos. The importance of boosting, stealth, etc. would be diminished.

Perhaps portalling could be an ability that stacks twice, so a single transport can lay the entry an exit of portal. and to make it so it's not abused, it could be a machine that is deployed to keep the portal open, the enemy could simply destroy the portal generator to shut it off.

Perhaps another even more interesting idea would be to make these tunnels public and visible on the minimap as soon as they are created, if the generator is destroyed and someone tries to go through at the same time they are sent to the place where they started.

Or perhaps we could try the TF2 engineer approach for teleporters instead of portals.

Bergwein

Bergwein

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Hanging out at S3 on Frontline. Just captured it with two Transport mechs by my side. Rest of my team gets rekt by the enemy at S2.

CHAT: I'll pop over and cap S1.

LITERALLY!

:ninja:

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

While I am not sure yet of the exact implementation, having some format of this ability would be great. Perhaps a single-mode teleporter that can open only two portals at one time, oldest one decays upon creation of a new portal -- and teleporting between portals takes the same amount of time as traveling between the portals at double the boosting speed of the fastest mech... However, moving between portals would require the player to stand in or around the portal for that duration before the instant transportation...

I would love to see some sort of version of this idea!

• Aregon and (Unknown)1590d2c747fabd like this

Thank you for your time,

(Unknown)1590d2c747fabd

(Unknown)1590d2c747fabd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

I don't know about "Instantly" as the same transport tech would have to deploy both ends of the wormhole to begin with. And as I suggested before, they would be slow (C Class) and likely a little under-firepowered but maybe high armor. (dunno... something to balance them out.)

Then, depending on the implementation, either the transport tech itself would have to remain alive to maintain the wormholes (A-la WOW or Portal) or the other team would have to get through the wormholes before the physical device (A-La Stargate) was destroyed in either direction. And either team could only go through the portal in single file/one-at-a-time

Not to mention, these wormholes would be bi-directional and function for both teams. So if the enemy opens the second wormhole right ontop of you, your team could:

1) Storm through it yourself

2) Shoot through it as a "fatal funnel" (Google it, its a bad thing to go through as an attacker and a good thing for a defender.)

3) Shoot at the device/mech to destroy it

4) Any combination of 1, 2, and/or 3

Perhaps portalling could be an ability that stacks twice, so a single transport can lay the entry an exit of portal. and to make it so it's not abused, it could be a machine that is deployed to keep the portal open, the enemy could simply destroy the portal generator to shut it off.

Perhaps another even more interesting idea would be to make these tunnels public and visible on the minimap as soon as they are created, if the generator is destroyed and someone tries to go through at the same time they are sent to the place where they started.

Or perhaps we could try the TF2 engineer approach for teleporters instead of portals.

Sounds cool to me and along the lines of what I was thinking. Especially the "publiclly visible on the minimap and useable by both sides"

While I am not sure yet of the exact implementation, having some format of this ability would be great. Perhaps a single-mode teleporter that can open only two portals at one time, oldest one decays upon creation of a new portal -- and teleporting between portals takes the same amount of time as traveling between the portals at double the boosting speed of the fastest mech... However, moving between portals would require the player to stand in or around the portal for that duration before the instant transportation...

I would love to see some sort of version of this idea!

Hadn't thought of the "natural decay" thing though it would make sense in comparison to other items. I also think the idea of some sort of "idle" warmup to go through the wormhole so you are more of a "target" before jumping. Or it could even be a "recharge" between each transport so you cant just freight train through it with your entire team, instead its 10 second warmup/cooldown between.

In the end I am just glad some people think its interesting (and humorous)!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users