Photo

Special Ability Visual effects.... a complaint.

- - - - - special ability complaint visuals wtf

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Luaq

Luaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Tell me, explain me what was the idea behind the SUPER UNIQUE AWESOME SPECIAL SPECIAL CRAZY NICE.. semi transparent rectangles coming out of my mech when I use my ability?

Guys! Guys! I have an Idea, Let's have COLORED RECTANGLES coming out of nowhere when mechs use an ability...

3D rectangles...Shiny Pillars, H-Beam, Churros... What is it?

CBjPhDqVIAAAIEB.jpg

Ok now that I got my uneasiness out with these special visuals triggered by the very unique special abilites we can start suggesting better ideas...

A visual effect that could be used globally (exception for the stealth ability mechs) could simply be a explosion of light about the radius of the mech the moment the SP.Ability is triggered (about half a second) then the mech glows a little while it lasts. The visual ''phenomenon'' can be explained by a sudden need to use a great amount of energy that the mech needs to transform to make the mech go beyond it's usual limit creating a wave of light\heat (yes a bit like the incenerator but try to see it differently more like the particals we gain from EU)

That's just an Idea I came up simply while making this post, I mean, not much is to be done to make the special visual look less sketchy...

The visual effect is so random it almost holds me back from using the SP.A because I don't want some Rectangle Coming out of my mech as if I had MIGHTY MORPHED DARK PAULDRONS OF COSMIC MATTER POWER...

Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Is this more like what you were thinking of?

• Miscellaneous, Amidatelion, Luaq and 2 others like this

Luaq

Luaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

haha maybe...

it's an effect used in a lot of games which ever the color...more subtle though

I.E

282.jpg?v=1.0

Edited by Luaq, 19 May 2015 - 04:04 PM.

Dawn_of_Ash

Dawn_of_Ash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Poor Vegeta. ;(

I was tempted to post the Goku Super Sayain 3 Transformation scene...but it's like 5 minutes of him screaming. So I thought, maybe you are thinking of something similar to this:

tumblr_mtaacoEc4H1re6rdoo1_500.gif

Super Sayain God Super Sayain...really Dragonball Z? XD

• Luaq likes this

Luaq

Luaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

you all got the picture. now that was just something I thought of for a simple exemple...

MajyckToad

MajyckToad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

my grandkids used to think i was wierd, i'd start snickering every time the show started.

it's hard to figure out how to explain schlepping large reproductive organs down the sidewalk without grandma having a moral hissy fit.

:D

• Drrt4 likes this

BkeETgs.jpg

Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Poor Vegeta. ;(

Vegeta is never pathetic.

• Luaq likes this

Beefsweat

Beefsweat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Tell me, explain me what was the idea behind the...

the idea was that apparently some folks (see: ultra-sterile competitive FPS chest-thumpers) wanted every possible amount of information conveyed to them at all times, down to the point of knowing when other players use their abilities. not a fan of the superhero/mortal kombat flames idea, would make the game look even more cartoony

• Luaq likes this

Luaq

Luaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

the idea was that apparently some folks (see: ultra-sterile competitive FPS chest-thumpers) wanted every possible amount of information conveyed to them at all times, down to the point of knowing when other players use their abilities. not a fan of the superhero/mortal kombat flames idea, would make the game look even more cartoony

Yup I guess so, which my point is, don't stick to my example that was meant to be an example and not a suggestion, suggest stuff yourselves.

If I get your true feeling about this, You'd go back where there was no visual indicator when a player uses an ability, and I'd go the same path BUT I guess hawken went onto a certain road and going back is usually taken as a failure so I'm suggesting to start from where we are now, stuck with a displeasing visual effect that could be changed for something better considering developpers rarely go back on a decision...

It could be an aura (EU particle activation, heat explosion like the incenerator, a flickering effect as to show a mech going faster (raider)) or steam for the assault, you get the picture...) as it could be a subtle chassis or mech part transformation... I was here to see if the community could actually make something happen about this and suggest something new and better, as I am not taking this role or at least don't pretend having the answer. I do want people talking about a change concerning the visual effect from activating the special abiliy because it is awesomely ugly right now as it is.

Edited by Luaq, 19 May 2015 - 09:03 PM.

• Liederkranz and Zuurkern like this

MajyckToad

MajyckToad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

the sparkly blue or purple shifting glow thingy would work. that 1x12" blue board sticking out of the armpits has to go.

• Luaq likes this

BkeETgs.jpg

Teljaxx the Unintentional

Teljaxx the Unintentional

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

It is nice having some external indication as to when your opponent is using their ability, but I never really liked what the current effects look like. Before they added the holographic wing things we have now, I had suggested adding a unique ability effect for each mech based off what their power does.

The Bruiser would turn shiny green like it activated a shield. The Assault/CR-T would turn icy blue like they were cooling off. The Berzerker's, Sharpshooter's, and Grenadier's weapons would glow bright orange/red like they were supercharged. The Raider's booster flames would always be active, and become much larger while boosting. Etc.

• DerMax, Miscellaneous, CrimsonKaim and 5 others like this

Me are always recall near what beauty I quench thy water at dost hast jest if clubly pink codpiece shall torment yon melancholy questioned bare peach to see whatsoever hitherto delicate purple sausage mans.

BlueOrb.gif

Luaq

Luaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

glows would definitely be too cartoony, and even more if it is global and not just for a particular mech. My example was bad because I wish each mech could get a different visual change but way more than just a color swap of a global glow. Berserker could have somekind of tracer bullets accentuation... just an example again... Be creative peeps!

I'd love to see photoshop sketches ;)

MajyckToad

MajyckToad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

no . good effort

BkeETgs.jpg

dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

I bet that thing came out in ASCENSION.

Btw if they can make a silly cartoony holograms on a whim they can make semi transparent rectangles out of their ass.

Edited by dorobo, 20 May 2015 - 04:57 AM.

• nepacaka likes this

Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

I like the current Ability effect.

I'd personally prefer new content over a revamp of this.

• Drrt4 likes this

americanbrit14

americanbrit14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

I like the current Ability effect.

I'd personally prefer new content over a revamp of this.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner folks. Game over, go home.

VfuS0qE.png?1

contracted by 

??

INDUSTRY

Liederkranz

Liederkranz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

I'm 100% for the individual effects for each ability. Because let's be realist: they ARE different abilities (save for a couple of ones).

Things that would look cool to me:

-Steam coming off the Assault's and Fred's guns.

-Weapons glowing in Berserker, Grenadier and SS, but not glowing red. Some different color (yellow?) to tell apart from the heating visuals.

-Maybe a blurry effect on the Raider... I am very close to minimum sys req for having a pleasant gaming experience but I think some blurrings on Raider wouldn't affect much.

-Holographic armor on Bruiser. Similar to actual visuals, only cooler. ;)

-Yellow healing sparkles coming out of Brawler when in turrret mode.

Pred and Infil could be left as they are since they don't display visuals right now other than the shimmering.

I'm thinking of something for the Tech.

Cybrex: Predators hunt from above.

MessyBopzz: like jesus?

Cybrex: Better than jesus

xaW8OWj.png

HWGNjmo.png  LUAERYM.png  KVKGZ2j.png  nCDGAWz.png  HWGNjmo.png

Luaq

Luaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

We actually see a green beam while in healer mode when the tech uses its ability, that is where there was a little more research for a visual effect like the camo abilities...

Ding ding ding, we have a winner folks. Game over, go home.

I think you missed out on the whole '' Hey hawken has been revived and the new devs are repairing stuff before releasing any major new content'' (which  for now the only stuff that got out was locked out content)

Sincerely, the fast method would be to just take these 4x4 poles out of butt.

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

I would suggest that any lights and windows on the mech glow and intense red while the special is activated... and maybe some smoke rises out of it.  That would make it look like "Rage Mode".

• Xer06siX likes this

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

Massive_Assailant_Stingray

Massive_Assailant_Stingray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

I actually really like the current holographic wings.

• Meraple likes this

JackVandal

JackVandal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

I actually made a post a bit back about the idea of adding customization to the ability holos, such as color, number of wings, holo armor instead of wings ect.

"but the dead horse has been beaten so many times it's practically a pulpy mess in the barn by now."

-M1lkshake

Grollourdo

Grollourdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
OMG THUS JUST GAVE ME AN IDEA!!!

WHY NOT MAKE THE ABILITY ANIMATION THINGY BE A COSMETIC??? XD

oh ima post this XD

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy bunny into
 (") (") your signature to help him gain world domination XD

And if you dont .... 

bloody_keyboard.gif    <-------------- ME and Bunny

(This is also me when u no cooperate in game XD)

Grollourdo

Grollourdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
Oh wait I just read your post jack vandal..... I was so proud just now XD

But now no really XD why not? The rectagles could be the default! XD

there could be other cool stuff too XS
  • Xer06siX likes this

(\__/)

And if you dont .... 

Xer06siX

Xer06siX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Edited by Xer06siX, 26 May 2015 - 10:33 PM.

• Luaq and StubbornPuppet like this

Just here.                            

g44azur1mvxs41m4g.jpg

Luaq

Luaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Okay here ya go with a super special spectacular awesome sketch with a kind of wing pattern thingy that helps you fly n stuff, n things and also warns other peeps to back off,,,,,,,,,,Also there are some planes n things there too.... :-)  Sry I don't use spoiler hardly ever.

7t5qbm3du21x719zg.jpg

I see you had fun there, wouldn't be a bad Idea to put holographic wings (maybe less on the angel wings just something more MECHish) for one specific mech...

Still would like to know @capnjosh 's take on this. As in just take off the rectangular prisms holos temporarily. Considering how fast the new dev's work on stuff... :yes: :cool:

• Xer06siX likes this

Xer06siX

Xer06siX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Edited by Xer06siX, 26 May 2015 - 10:36 PM.

Just here.                            

g44azur1mvxs41m4g.jpg

MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

I want a specific visual effect for each ability. A glowing rectangle armor for the bruiser, a glowing rectangle around weapons for Zerker and SS, a glowing rectangle around thruster for raider and scouts, etc

• Luaq likes this

IRZUTYo.png

gXO9Nfd.pngmXasTsY.pngft4VqcE.png

KDR Member | Streamer | Priority Target II

Spoiler

Luaq

Luaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

I want a specific visual effect for each ability. A glowing rectangle armor for the bruiser, a glowing rectangle around weapons for Zerker and SS, a glowing rectangle around thruster for raider and scouts, etc

You troll!!! :P

SH*T WITH THE RECTANGULEEZ!!!

MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

RECTANGULEEZ RULEZ

FilmShields.gif

• Meraple, Nightfirebolt, Kopra and 3 others like this

IRZUTYo.png

gXO9Nfd.pngmXasTsY.pngft4VqcE.png

KDR Member | Streamer | Priority Target II

Spoiler

Luaq

Luaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Please stop :sick:

Grollourdo

Grollourdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
I like triangles..... No I like random shapes....

Like the current rectangle thing coming out of the mech and add like randome shapes or something that turn arround thows XD .... Idk lol

(\__/)

And if you dont .... 

Luaq

Luaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

I feel I'm gang trolled.

Edited by Luaq, 29 May 2015 - 10:42 AM.

Grollourdo

Grollourdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
Lol

(\__/)

And if you dont .... 

MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
How bout the special recharge time be it compressing air for its moment when it openes turbine vents and goes turbo heat/turbo effects from vents and jet §ound

Luaq

Luaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

not sure I understood that ^

but turbines and vents sounds* nice for a mech...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: special ability, complaint, visuals, wtf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users