brackets

brackets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Current ability:

precision-overdrive.png  Precision Overdrive

Greatly increases the accuracy of all weapons for a short duration. Precision Overdrive has a 45 second cooldown.

The Reaper's special ability currently performs either as a situational damage buff between the range where primary weapon bullet spread begins to contribute to missed shots and the range where primary weapon damage begins to be reduced due to falloff or as an accuracy boost to the Ke-Sabot in close quarters.

The key flaw with the Reaper's ability is how differently it affects AM-SAR and Hawkins-RPR users versus Slug rifle users. Both the AM-SAR and Hawkins-RPR have bullet spread which decreases their efficiency at longer ranges. The ability greatly decreases bullet spread for both of these weapons which increases their potential long-range damage, and completely eliminates spread on the Ke-Sabot. The Slug rifle has no bullet spread, so it only benefits from the elimination of bullet spread on the unscoped Ke-Sabot. However, the Reaper's scope also eliminates spread on the Ke-Sabot while additionally providing a significant damage modifier to the Ke-Sabot's damage. This makes the special ability redundant with (and worse than) the at-will scope.

Changes to the Reaper's special ability should focus on increasing its utility regardless of which primary weapon is chosen.

Option 1: Tweak the ability

Greatly increases the accuracy of all weapons and all weapons do full scoped damage for a short duration. Precision Overdrive has a <45 second cooldown.

The first option is to make small changes to the current ability so that it is more generally useful. By having weapons do full scoped damage, the ability serves as a bonus to awareness for Slug Rifle users (providing them access to the full damage output the scope offers without the penalty to field of view or lack of radar) while still providing the mid-long range damage boost to Reapers who choose the AM-SAR or Hawkins RPR. The cooldown should be reduced substantially to allow Reaper pilots to make full use of it, even though it doesn't have the same battle-changing effects of other mechs' abilities.

Option 2: Toggle ability

Increases the accuracy and heat generation of all weapons while toggled ON. Decreases the heat generation of all weapons while toggled OFF. Precision Overdrive can be toggled every X seconds.

A second option suggested by Xacius on Twitch is to replace the Reaper's ability with a toggle option: toggle on for increased accuracy unscoped and slightly more heat gen, off for reduced heat gen but more weapon spread. This option is a significant departure from the game's current ability paradigm; the versatility offered by switching between passive modes may be difficult to balance with the distinct temporary benefits offered by other abilities in the game.

Option 3: Replace the current ability

Another option is to replace the ability entirely. Alternative abilities should benefit the Reaper regardless of primary weapon choice. Here I will keep a compendium of potential new abilities proposed by myself and others.

precision-overdrive.png  Electronic Countermeasures

Remain invisible from radar for a short duration. Electronic Countermeasures has a XX second cooldown.

Similar to the Infiltrator's ability, this alternate ability would benefit the Reaper as a skirmishing marksman by allowing Reaper pilots to quickly redeploy and fire along flanks without alerting enemies. This benefits AM-SAR and Hawkins-RPR Reapers who's optimal range (before falloff) is within radar range of most enemies, as well as Slug Reapers who typically find themselves within this range anyway. Radar invisibility can also help in close-range duels and low-health retreats.

precision-overdrive.png  Speed Reload

Increases the fire-rate of all weapons for a short duration. Speed Reload has a XX second cooldown.

Suggested by FakeName, this ability would complement the Ke-Sabot and establish the Reaper as a DPS-oriented variant of the Sharpshooter. Reaper pilots would need to be cautious of how rapidly their weapons overheat with an increased rate of fire. AM-SAR and Hawkins-RPR Reapers would benefit most from increased DPS while Slug Reaper would benefit from a faster time-to-kill against certain mechs than the Slug Sharpshooter.

precision-overdrive.png  Target Acquired

Marks a target for X seconds. Marked targets are revealed on radar and take Y% extra damage from all damage sources. Target Acquired has a XX second cooldown. 

Suggested by MomOw, this alternate ability would let the Reaper capitalise on fulfilling an offensive support role. Slug Reapers would benefit from increased burst damage while AM-SAR and Hawkins-RPR Reapers would be able to capitalise on increased DPS. All Reapers would be able to take advantage of the team support options this ability provides.

precision-overdrive.png  Penetrating Shots

For X seconds, KE-Sabot shots pierce through mechs and shields. Penetrating Shots has a XX second cooldown.

Suggested by Amidatelion, this alternate ability would give the Reaper "some killer shield play options." However, this ability may be even more situational than the Reaper's current ability; if you don't bring barriers or shields (limiting Item choice), then it's possible that your ability simply won't have an effect for a match.

Edited by brackets, 14 November 2015 - 10:52 PM.

• diablo878, XPloyt, GMKGoat and 15 others like this

Merl61

Merl61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
This ability is trash when using the slug rifle. It should be reworked, but all in good time.

jWZL3Hm.jpg

Thanks to Badtings for this awesome banner!

brackets

brackets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

I agree it's a low priority change compared to other balance changes (*cough* orbs *cough*).

GMKGoat

GMKGoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

I was actually thinking about this exact thing while at work today and was going to post the same idea about dealing full scoped damage.

MaNia_C

MaNia_C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

The "tweak the precision overdrive" idea has been discussed before and i do think it is one of the most logical steps for upgrading the ability. Another option would be a slight modification to the ability, where there's a damage buff of 10 to 15 percent both scoped and unscoped (similar to FakeName's idea, the difference being that one turns the reaper into a speed railgunner, whilst the other retains the need for continuous focus and precision...though thinkin about it i must admit i'm weighing more and more towards Fake's idea :) ).

All in all, some change to the ability would be refreshing, though i think i'm biased and would wish for any up-mod on the reap, on account of me being a sniper pilot ( could say reaper exclusive pilot, cause 90 percent of the time i'm in it).

• Erzunterweltler likes this

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

...and let slip the dogs of war...

Twitter%201.jpg?psid=1Steam%202.jpg?psid=1Tube%203.jpg?psid=1Hawken%204.jpg?psid=1Twitch%205.jpg?psid=1

Erzunterweltler

Erzunterweltler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

The "tweak the precision overdrive" idea has been discussed before and i do think it is one of the most logical steps for upgrading the ability. Another option would be a slight modification to the ability, where there's a damage buff of 10 to 15 percent both scoped and unscoped (similar to FakeName's idea, the difference being that one turns the reaper into a speed railgunner, whilst the other retains the need for continuous focus and precision...though thinkin about it i must admit i'm weighing more and more towards Fake's idea :) ).

All in all, some change to the ability would be refreshing, though i think i'm biased and would wish for any up-mod on the reap, on account of me being a sniper pilot ( could say reaper exclusive pilot, cause 90 percent of the time i'm in it).

A slight damage boost ability would be nice, yes. However, I also like FakeName's idea better, having a better firerate... Oh man, I would like to play CC Reaper with AM-SAR then again *.* Well, I have to admit it doesn't really bother me that the Reaper's ability isn't that useful with the Slug Rifle, even though I'm a Slug player myself. I use its ability in CC to be sure to hit, of course it does not make a really big difference. As mentioned before, other things (cough Scanners cough) should be fixed first =)

Z1Alpha

Z1Alpha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

I think the speed reload perk would be a lot of fun. Don't know how much faster it should shoot, cause the DPS output may become to much. Either way great suggestions, learning how to use this mech slowly, and this would probably give me more of incentive to use it!

image.jpg

- How fine you look when dressed in rage. Your enemies are fortunate your

condition is not permanent. You're lucky, too. Mad eyes suit so few. -

Rei

Rei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

I actually don't mind the ability at all, I just pop it when anything gets close to me and I get to CQC nicely. I would like the addition for it to do full scoped damage while active though, I think that's a good idea.

• Drrt4 likes this

thedark20

thedark20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Btw, this ability was intended to increase the accuracy of automatic precision primary weps, do they still lose accuracy when you fire them too repeteadly? I remember on ascension they did.

Steel

Steel everywhere~

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Reaper is all about sniping down targets quick, so I think FakeName's suggestion would work very well.

• Nov8tr likes this

Interrobang87

Interrobang87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
I think most of us are on board with ability increasing rate of fire. Make it happen Capen
  • Jerv and Nov8tr like this

Jerv

Jerv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

As it stands, the only time I have ever use the Reaper's special ability is when I hit the wrong button trying to activate my scope. I normally fight at medium range where it's no good, and would find a temporary DPS buff a far more useful ability.

Still recovering from a neurological incident, spent a couple months learning how to walk without a cane,

figured I'd try a fast-paced game to see if I could get my reflexes back to where they were.

Garage:

A - Infiltrator, Reaper, Technician, Scout

B - Assault (x2), Predator, Raider

C - Brawler, Vanguard, Incinerator

MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

precision-overdrive.png  Speed Reload

Increases the firerate of all weapons for a short duration. Speed Reload has a XX second cooldown.

I'm OK with that idea. Now I've checked some figures

-> the rof : RPR 5 /s,  AM-SAR 3/s, Slug 0.87/s, KE-Sabot 0.54/s

a rof increase is similar to a damage increase but worse to a certain extent (more heat, less burst capability).

So I checked the zerker ability : +15% damage during 6.5s, cooldown 52s

To be able to add one shot of KE-Sabot with a +15% rof increase this would lead to an ability duration of 20s and for the slug to an ability duration of 8s.

So my suggestion is :

- duration 4s, rof +15% (which adds DPS to AM-SAR and RPR)

- automatically reload weapons on activation (i.e. allow a new slug / sabot shot right after activating the ability ignoring refire delay)

- cooldown 45s

Edited by MomOw, 11 April 2015 - 12:10 AM.

• Nov8tr likes this

IRZUTYo.png

gXO9Nfd.pngmXasTsY.pngft4VqcE.png

KDR Member | Streamer | Priority Target II

Spoiler

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

This ability is trash when using the slug rifle. It should be reworked, but all in good time.

The ability is trash when you use the KE-Sabot, oh wait, you can't change it.

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

JackVandal

JackVandal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

The ability is trash when you use the KE-Sabot, oh wait, you can't change it.

if i remember it boosts accuracy of the sabot unscoped, so it doesn't shoot wildly when the ability is active. which is usefull in CC. i may be wrong, but i thought thats what it did.

"but the dead horse has been beaten so many times it's practically a pulpy mess in the barn by now."

-M1lkshake

PepeKenobi

PepeKenobi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

I'd honestly be very cautious at "improving" the Reaper's ability.

I'd better suggest to complete or polish it first in between all of its distinct weapons. Actually if the pilot loaded a non long range weapon then the ability is not gonna help him/her much at distant targets on certain mid/big maps.

Thus weapon with limited range might enjoy of an extended range bonus for a limited amount of time plus a proportional accuracy factor benefit minus a damage values if you want too.

-> In other words, by tweaking the balancing equation per weapon during the (current) ability's effect.

Basically that might be a good start, IMHO.

Note: The Reaper if well piloted may be a nightmare on the battlefield as it is now.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by PepeKenobi, 14 April 2015 - 02:43 AM.

brackets

brackets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

if i remember it boosts accuracy of the sabot unscoped, so it doesn't shoot wildly when the ability is active. which is usefull in CC. i may be wrong, but i thought thats what it did.

You are correct, It does boost the accuracy of the sabot unscoped. However, the ability is redundant with the scope in this regard, except using the scope also does extra damage. This is one of the reasons why the Reaper's current ability is considered useless; skilfully using the at-will scope is better than using the ability. The first option I put forth addresses this by having the ability do full scoped damage as well (but not stacking further with the scope). This would essentially make the ability an awareness boost at close combat if you use it to boost the accuracy of the KE-Sabot. 

brackets

brackets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

I have updated the opening post with additional discussion of the weaknesses of the Reaper's current ability and I have added another alternative ability suggestion proposed by MomOw.

Edited by brackets, 05 May 2015 - 02:01 PM.

MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

Thx brackets, the purpose is to put an emphasis on the support marksman role of the Reaper.

IRZUTYo.png

Spoiler

PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

I always thought the reaper ability was for when people get close-mid and you want to fight with-out zooming in.  Doesn't being zoomed out hurt accuracy or something?

khn3gAi.jpg?1CitkI9t.jpgGkp2fB7.jpg

Come on Crafty, you have been officially called out on your lies. Your online reputation is at stake here, this is just like an old school street race running for pink slips. Its run what you brung and hope its enough. Put up or shut the fuzzy bunny up.

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

I always thought the reaper ability was for when people get close-mid and you want to fight with-out zooming in.  Doesn't being zoomed out hurt accuracy or something?

it does

unless you are in licking distance, then how can you miss?

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

brackets

brackets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

At close ranges it can be difficult to aim in scope due to reduced FOV and reduced mouse sensitivity, but the scope does not hurt the accuracy of your weapons. Generally you don't want to stay in scope at any range because it drastically reduces your awareness; aiming at the target and then scoping in to fire is generally better because you reduce the penalty to your situational awareness and you benefit from the extra damage the scope offers. At close ranges, quickscoping is quite difficult and the ability can come in use here but at a significant penalty to your damage output; the only mech with a lower potential DPS than the unscoped slug Reaper is the unscoped slug Sharpshooter. Because of this, it's often worth it to attempt to quickscope at close ranges as well - which makes the ability redundant.

I favour the first option: retaining the current ability but tweaking it so it's more useful regardless of primary weapon choice. Having the ability contribute full scoped damage on top of its current reduction to spread would make it more reliable for close-mid range with the slug rifle.

Edited by brackets, 24 August 2015 - 05:31 AM.

Grollourdo

Grollourdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
I knda agree... I don't see how useful the current ability is while playing .... Just me... I usually forget I even have an ability XD
  • MomOw likes this

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy bunny into
 (") (") your signature to help him gain world domination XD

And if you dont .... 

bloody_keyboard.gif    <-------------- ME and Bunny

(This is also me when u no cooperate in game XD)

WastingTime

WastingTime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

It's like turret mode; in the current state I don't bother with it

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time

Interrobang87

Interrobang87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

i support brackets like they support my shelves 

• brackets likes this

BIsmuthZornisse

BIsmuthZornisse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

i'd like to throw in my own suggestion (although the others are alright too):

death's knell (cause it's the (possibly grim) reaper!):

marks any target with X% hp within minimap range for entire team for Y seconds.

the i'm thinking something like 10% health for 5 seconds might work? should the percentage be class dependent or should it instead be a fixed number?

maybe also have the affected enemies hear a strange, bell-like noise when the ability is triggered.

I have a lot of ideas and would like some feedback on them:

Suggestions for fixing things:

https://community.pl...of-suggestions/

Suggestions for new things:

https://community.pl...for-new-things/

Rofocal

Rofocal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

my ability idea :
temperature transfer

when ability is active, the heat on reaper transfer to enemy along with it`s bullet for 5 second.

it`s reduce the reaper`s heat and add the heat to enemy`s mech (x% heat per hit)
for slug rifle and ke sabot (cause it has slow reload) the x% is slightly higher than other weapon

Edited by Rofocal, 25 May 2015 - 03:20 AM.

Rofocal

Rofocal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

2`nd abilty idea :
cold nerve

when ability active, the reaper`s bullets infuse with chemical that can make the enemy`s mech temperature drop suddenly, and slow them (movement speed and rate fire) for xx second.

the slow effect take xx% enemy`s speed (cannot stack)

• gArphEus likes this

eth0

eth0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

SPEED RELOAD

Suggested by FakeName, this alternate ability would boost the Reaper's DPS in tight spots. Reaper pilots would need to be cautious of how rapidly their weapons overheat with an increased rate of fire. AM-SAR and Hawkins-RPR Reapers would benefit most from increased DPS. An increased rate of fire would make the Slug Reaper more forgiving of missed shots while providing faster damage output. 

TARGET ACQUIRED

Suggested by MomOw, this alternate ability would let the Reaper capitalise on fulfilling an offensive support role. Slug Reapers would benefit from increased burst damage while AM-SAR and Hawkins-RPR Reapers would be able to capitalise on increased DPS. All Reapers would be able to take advantage of the team support options this ability provides.

PENETRATING SHOTS

Suggested by Amidatelion, this alternate ability would give the Reaper "some killer shield play options."

Target acquired and penetrating shots are my favorite. I used to run reaper with all my tuning points in reload, but I think they should save it for another mech or make it an internal.

Pubstomping is a whole different strategic discussion, however, and usually just becomes an exploration of the ethics of dumpstering randos.

UYoy63i.png

Why mech game make when you no mech game have you don't want to make? 

brackets

brackets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Penetrating shots might be even more situational than the Reaper's current ability. If you don't bring shields or barriers yourself then it's entirely possible your ability simply won't have an effect for an entire match, whereas the current ability at least has a marginal benefit in cqc. Alternatively, it makes at least 2 shields or barriers a necessary item selection which limits player choice.

Speed Reload could be nice, but I'd be wary of MomOw's implementation. Automatically reloading both weapons on activation essentially doubles the Reaper's burst damage (on top of the DPS boost). This would give the Slug Reaper a potential 270 burst compared to the Slug Sharpshooter's 212 burst, both using the ability.

MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

Speed Reload could be nice, but I'd be wary of MomOw's implementation. Automatically reloading both weapons on activation essentially doubles the Reaper's burst damage (on top of the DPS boost). This would give the Slug Reaper a potential 270 burst compared to the Slug Sharpshooter's 212 burst, both using the ability.

I agree, I think that an auto reload of the KE-Sabot would be useful enough and easier to balance (I mean adjusting the cooldown would be enough).

IRZUTYo.png

Spoiler

1337B337

1337B337

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

precision-overdrive.png  Target Acquired

Marks a target for X seconds. Marked targets are revealed on radar and take Y% extra damage from all damage sources. Target Acquired has a XX second cooldown.

I'm LOVING this idea, adds more to Reapers Support role.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Reaper, Special Ability

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users