• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

People seemed to like my last upload about the different ways to boost, so here are five more 10-30 second videos showing maneuvers that aren't immediately obvious to a lot of players. These techniques aren't shown in the video currently linked in-game, so I thought they might be useful to demonstrate. 

https://www.youtube....cStI85m3_Dr4yg2

Edited by JeffMagnum, 30 May 2015 - 09:42 AM.

• Draigun, Grollourdo, Guns_N_Rozer and 11 others like this

d1eZeG3.png

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

I watched #1 and then turned it off because YOU'RE LOOKING DOWN EVERY TIME YOU DODGE. DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH OF A CASUAL THAT MAKES YOU?

No but seriously you're missing out on a fair amount of information if you're looking down every time you try and dodge in the direction you're travelling.

It's bed time. I will edit this when I watch more.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

IareDave

IareDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

I watched #1 and then turned it off because YOU'RE LOOKING DOWN EVERY TIME YOU DODGE. DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH OF A CASUAL THAT MAKES YOU?

It's a shorter distance to look down and dodge than it is to bring your reticule to the side and dodge. Gawd. Such a noob.

OP: Are you left handed Jeff? I noticed you have a tendency to look right with your dodges and movement. I tend to prioritize my left side because I have an easier time move my wrist inward as opposed to outward - aka easier to maneuver with a right hand grip, for me anyhow.

• Elite_is_salty, LoC_TR, stinkinglamb44 and 1 other like this

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

It's a shorter distance to look down and dodge than it is to bring your reticule to the side and dodge. Gawd. Such a noob.

No excuses. I'm able to execute this very same maneuver with no loss in effectiveness all while keeping my chin up. Also even if there were that sort of issue, it's definitely outweighed by being able to see what's in front of you.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, 29 May 2015 - 09:23 PM.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

It takes longer to get your reticle back on target if you don't swivel your aim down some at the same time. The first video is admittedly kinda sloppy though and I'll probably redo it when I get up. 

d1eZeG3.png

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

OP: Are you left handed Jeff? I noticed you have a tendency to look right with your dodges and movement. I tend to prioritize my left side because I have an easier time move my wrist inward as opposed to outward - aka easier to maneuver with a right hand grip, for me anyhow.

No, I'm right handed, so I'm not entirely sure why it's more natural for me to do that. I think it's because moving my hand inward to recover from the dodge leaves me able to move my arm and wrist more easily and readjust my aim in one fluid motion. 

d1eZeG3.png

IareDave

IareDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

No excuses. I'm able to execute this very same maneuver with no loss in effectiveness all while keeping my chin up. Also even if there were that sort of issue, it's definitely outweighed by being able to see what's in front of you.

I'm not saying the way Jeff showed is optimal, in fact I don't even do that, but it is a quicker motion.

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

I mainly use it with SS tbh, so moving backwards as fast as I can to maintain distance and keep other people's DPS low/reacquiring my target quickly are more important to me than total awareness of my sides that I've already checked before dodging. 

Edited by JeffMagnum, 30 May 2015 - 11:23 AM.

• stinkinglamb44 likes this

d1eZeG3.png

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

I'm not saying the way Jeff showed is optimal, in fact I don't even do that, but it is a quicker motion.

I mainly use it with SS tbh, so moving backwards as fast as I can to maintain distance and keep other people's DPS low/reacquiring my target quickly is more important to me than total awareness of my sides that I've already checked before dodging. 

Hm. I'd have to test this, as that geometrically doesn't make sense - as in moving the mouse horizontally to turn should take less space (and therefore less time) than turning that same distance but also turning in a downward direction. However, things like turn cap may indeed fuzzy bunny that up, but I used to do this the same exact way, figured I shouldn't be, and currently feel that keeping a level FOV is more effective both in terms of awareness and speed.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, 29 May 2015 - 09:35 PM.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

I'll take a video showing the difference if you're going to sleep.

edit: pretty lazily done but I'm too tired and not sober enough to do it perfectly tonight. ETA 15 minutes

Edited by JeffMagnum, 29 May 2015 - 09:42 PM.

d1eZeG3.png

IareDave

IareDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Hm. I'd have to test this, as that geometrically doesn't make sense - as in moving the mouse horizontally to turn should take less space (and therefore less time) than turning that same distance but also turning in a downward direction. However, things like turn cap may indeed fuzzy bunny that up, but I used to do this the same exact way, figured I shouldn't be, and currently feel that keeping a level FOV is more effective both in terms of awareness and speed.

Think of it like this: Looking down and to the side at the same time is covering more distance than simply moving in only one axis at a time. That's a simple as I can put it in words.
  • MechFighter5e3bf9 likes this

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

Think of it like this: Looking down and to the side at the same time is covering more distance than simply moving in only one axis at a time. That's a simple as I can put it in words.

This is sort of my point though. More distance is required to make that turn. There's no need to look down at all.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

I'll take a video showing the difference if you're going to sleep.
edit: pretty lazily done but I'm too tired and not sober enough to do it perfectly tonight. ETA 15 minutes

il b thinking of u

xP7h8w0.jpg

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

IareDave

IareDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

This is sort of my point though. More distance is required to make that turn. There's no need to look down at all.

No. More distance in the same amount of time. just try it out for yourself talking about it isn't going to convince you.

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

I'm doing all the steps individually in slow motion in the one I'm making and I think the discrepancy is coming from the fact that the radius of the invisible circle you have to trace gets smaller the closer your weapons are to the ground. The turn rate cap means you can't trace the larger one without being artificially slowed. 

Edited by JeffMagnum, 29 May 2015 - 09:53 PM.

• ticklemyiguana likes this

d1eZeG3.png

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

No. More distance in the same amount of time. just try it out for yourself talking about it isn't going to convince you.

The thing is I won't have access to my computer until Tuesday. My point is that extra distance is unnecessary, and if the turn cap didn't exist, would actually take more time to cover. I'm not entirely certain how the turn cap behaves across two axes, but I'd be surprised if it were somehow faster. I could see it being the same time, but even still you're covering that distance unnecessarily and to your own disadvantage.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

I'm doing all the steps individually in slow motion in the one I'm making and I think the discrepancy is coming from the fact that the radius of the invisible circle you have to trace gets smaller the closer your weapons are to the ground. The turn rate cap means you can't trace the longer one without being artificially slowed.

This makes some sense if the turn cap is linearly based and not based on the angle itself.

Which I personally think is really dumb if that's the case. It just doesn't physics. However I could see how a developer would make that mistake, as it is less screen real estate to cover. They just forgot that the same parts are still moving on the mech as are moving when looking at any other Y value.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, 29 May 2015 - 10:00 PM.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Yeah it's definitely why. I cancelled the slow motion upload since it was taking awhile, but the one I'm putting up now shows how much faster it is to turn in a smaller circle than a large one.

d1eZeG3.png

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts
This is unfortunate news. Every time I make use of this I'm genuinely going to feel as if I'm cheating the mech's engineering. Goddammit, ADH.

This all being said, when attempting to cover long distances, I combine that technique with bunny hopping. On A mechs it practically doubles the distance you can travel, and increases the speed of it. In this scenario where you are not shooting at anyone and are also in the air, turning on strictly the X axis makes more sense.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, 29 May 2015 - 10:06 PM.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

d1eZeG3.png

LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

I use this maneuver all the time, most of the the time a lateral dodge and boost to break the turn-cap, I can adjust the angle of my dodge more accurately by looking down. I use radar, sound, and logic to determine position make my moves accordingly. LOS isn't necessary outside of looking at a mechs feet. 

This applies to burst mechs mostly, it's not as useful on the sustain mechs for obvious reasons. 

Edited by LoC_TR, 30 May 2015 - 12:06 AM.

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

nords

The PC community is the red headed step child Reloaded never wanted but got saddled with when they married the PC community's mother.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Shoutout to mah real Africans out there.

Guns_N_Rozer

Guns_N_Rozer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

here is the apply of your movement tips  :sweat: ,right movement can save your life  :yes:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Movement tutorials are better with real time keyboard overlay IMO.

• JeffMagnum likes this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

if you didnt turn faster when looking up/down it would feel very awkward since its how real life turning works, (hold a rifle and spin on x axis vs drop +turn raise

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

I should add, I don't think the fuel efficiency thing applies to heavies the same way it does to A mechs.

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

I should add, I don't think the fuel efficiency thing applies to heavies the same way it does to A mechs.

It doesn't. Initial boost fuel cost is higher on heavies.

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Dodging still works to improve efficiency AFAIK though. I used to have a disclaimer saying that on the video, but apparently I deleted it for some reason?

d1eZeG3.png

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Should I redo these with the virtual keyboard and mouse overlay I got working last night?

d1eZeG3.png

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

if you didnt turn faster when looking up/down it would feel very awkward since its how real life turning works, (hold a rifle and spin on x axis vs drop +turn raise

No. That's not how that works at all.

I'm actually not seeing much of a difference in turn speed. You pause significantly at the end of the horizontal motion, whereas you do not in the motion facing down, giving the horizontal motion a longer time to complete when both directions are taken into account.

I slowed down the video on youtube to .25 the speed, and focused on a single direction, and it actually appears to be equivalent.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, 31 May 2015 - 05:30 PM.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

It seems noticeable in-game, but I guess I could be seeing things. Dave and Loc both agree that it's faster for some reason though, so I guess you'll have to try it out when you can get back to your computer and see if you can replicate that. 

Edited by JeffMagnum, 31 May 2015 - 06:16 PM.

d1eZeG3.png

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

Dave and Loc both agree that it's faster...

I rest my case.

• JeffMagnum likes this

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

SOD_CyberTormentor

SOD_CyberTormentor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

guddi tips :D

assinaturalogos_03.png | assinaturalogos_09.png | assinaturalogos_07.pngassinaturalogos_05.png

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Testing the rotation speed is subject to your ability to reliably hit the turn cap. I don't think I would give any weight to a test that isn't conducted with a bot.

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users