• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

(KDR) Seron16

(KDR) Seron16

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

But should people be expected to always make the safest/healthiest choices when it comes to unnecessary actions that affect no one else? Even if people think that's ideal, should that belief be enforced via statutes, and if so, why should it be applied to drugs in particular as opposed to far riskier recreational activities like BASE jumping or mountain climbing?

I think you partially answered your own question there. Going on the basis of not cuasing harm to anyone else, BASE Jumping or mountain climbing do not endanger anyone else.

However, someone high on drugs while driving have slower reaction times, or impaired thinking, or compromised vision etc. which endangers other people on the road. That is ONE example obviously.

However, alcohol does the same thing and is legal, though its illegal to drink and drive (talking about the US here specifically). So then one would say well then make weed legal to and just make it illegal in the car like alcohol.

Now my counter-argument would be that its quite hard to test for drug levels like a breath test since you'd need to take a blood sample I'd assume. But assuming that there is available technology to test for it like alcohol, then fine. If you want to do it and there are laws in place just like alcohol then fine.

But it all comes back to what I said. Why? Why do something that IS bad for you. Maybe not that bad, maybe you won't notice it for years, maybe no one else will ever get hurt with it, but why? Why not do something else, something safe, something healthy? Why?

In the end I am okay with regulated legalization of some drugs such as marijuana, but I don't support it. I think drug use for non-medical reasons is bad and stupid. But as long as there are laws in place to still protect people, I guess I have no right to stop someone else from screwing them self up alone. But the second they hurt someone else I'll be calling for justice and looking to punish them. So for yourself and others, why do it in the first place?

Its all a very complicated topic, and hence its one I usually stay away from. Ah, off-topic forum. ^^

EDIT: This is a bit of me rambling. I see the points on both sides and therefore I see the topic in many shades of grey. And when you add to the equation all the other kinds of drugs, meth, acid, etc, it gets even more complicated. And beyond all that I don't understand the point of hurting your health for a "high" when then are so many other healthy ways.

Edited by (KDR) Seron16, 01 July 2015 - 05:21 PM.

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

...and let slip the dogs of war...

Twitter%201.jpg?psid=1Steam%202.jpg?psid=1Tube%203.jpg?psid=1Hawken%204.jpg?psid=1Twitch%205.jpg?psid=1

Spoiler

DeeRax

DeeRax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Lots of drugs are generally unhealthy, and can destroy people's lives if abused (Stuff like cocaine, heroin, PCP, meth, etc.).
Lots of drugs are generally benign, and can potentially enrich people's lives, subjectively & objectively, if used responsibly (Cannabis, psychedelics, etc.).
Most drugs are probably somewhere in the middle (Alcohol).
ALL drugs probably have some value to medicine and science and our understanding of how our brains & bodies interact with the world around us.

Legality should be based on that fourth point alone. Levels of use, availability, and control should be dictated by the other three. Sweeping, across-the-board bans are idiotic and generally create more problems than they attempt to prevent. Period. Period. Period.

Legalize_it_by_aimesick-d5l99b1.gif

Edited by (TDM) DeeRax, 01 July 2015 - 06:55 PM.

starfox-sig.gifrYFaSGG.gif

2XhpJes.png

"DeeRax's got what you've always wanted."

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

As a member of the Scandinavian countries who are your supreme overlords, I have come to expect that our government tries all it can to keep it`s population healthy and tells us the truth when it comes to subjects of drugs. And I trust those who can put me in jail a lot more than the an who can get me into jail.

While Scandinavian policies in general are more evidence-based than the US's (and most everywhere else's), you have to understand that this is a fairly unique issue compared to other civil liberties due to the fact that there are multiple international treaties from the 60s and 70s (in particular, the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs and the Convention on Psychotropic Drugs) that your country is party to. This makes it a lot harder for more progressive nations to make changes based on new evidence due to the significant power other UN member states hold. Countries with government-regulated stores for buying weed are technically in violation of both of the treaties I linked, but everyone is mostly looking the other way with that since all the experiments with it have turned out to be positive.

There's also the issue that politicians are forced to appeal to their uninformed (about a lot of issues) constituents' emotions, oftentimes with things directly contrary to the available evidence, if they hope to win elections. Nuanced and sometimes unintuitive solutions to difficult problems usually sound less appealing than simpler, straightforward ones--at first glance, legalization and regulation of everything to reduce the negative impacts of drug use sounds stupid and potentially disastrous, but data from Portugal, US states with legal marijuana, alcohol Prohibition in the US, the steady worldwide rates of drug use regardless of legality or penalties, and South American countries' plague of organized crime strongly suggest that it's a better option over the status quo.

Actions have consequences. Outside of reasonable use, drugs, even weed, can affect other people negatively.

Those actions are what should be criminalized. 

However, someone high on drugs while driving have slower reaction times, or impaired thinking, or compromised vision etc. which endangers other people on the road. That is ONE example obviously.

However, alcohol does the same thing and is legal, though its illegal to drink and drive (talking about the US here specifically). So then one would say well then make weed legal to and just make it illegal in the car like alcohol.

Now my counter-argument would be that its quite hard to test for drug levels like a breath test since you'd need to take a blood sample I'd assume. But assuming that there is available technology to test for it like alcohol, then fine. If you want to do it and there are laws in place just like alcohol then fine.

Oh, don't get me wrong, intoxicated driving should absolutely be illegal. Simple DUI penalties in the US are a joke for how dangerous it can be. I remember reading an article about a weed breathalyzer, but I'm not sure how that's coming along although it'll certainly happen eventually since it's feasible and there's a market for it. Even without that, field sobriety tests are pretty accurate when it comes to determining whether or not someone is dangerously high on something, and failing them without testing positive on whatever breathalyzers are available would probably be good enough for a field or station blood draw. 

But it all comes back to what I said. Why? Why do something that IS bad for you. Maybe not that bad, maybe you won't notice it for years, maybe no one else will ever get hurt with it, but why? Why not do something else, something safe, something healthy? Why?

In the end I am okay with regulated legalization of some drugs such as marijuana, but I don't support it. I think drug use for non-medical reasons is bad and stupid. But as long as there are laws in place to still protect people, I guess I have no right to stop someone else from screwing them self up alone. But the second they hurt someone else I'll be calling for justice and looking to punish them. So for yourself and others, why do it in the first place?

Its all a very complicated topic, and hence its one I usually stay away from. Ah, off-topic forum. ^^

EDIT: This is a bit of me rambling. I see the points on both sides and therefore I see the topic in many shades of grey. And when you add to the equation all the other kinds of drugs, meth, acid, etc, it gets even more complicated. And beyond all that I don't understand the point of hurting your health for a "high" when then are so many other healthy ways.

That's the thing though, people are always going to use regardless of legality. The current system is making criminals out of people who haven't hurt anyone and is perpetuating a cycle of violence and poverty. Someone who can't get a job because they got busted with drugs doesn't have many options, so a lot of the time the only way they can make money is to sell or get involved with other illegal activities. This was especially bad before the Fair Sentencing Act in 2010 since crack (a drug most popular in low-income areas) had federal sentences equivalent to 100x its amount in powder cocaine (a drug popular among middle class and up users with more options to begin with). 

Thinking it's stupid is perfectly fine, but deciding to force that view on others by making them criminals isn't. That's the main issue here; it's not whether or not drug abuse is harmful (it is in most cases), but whether or not the government should be our moral police, and more importantly, whether or not the significant harms from the War on Drugs are acceptable collateral damage for accomplishing basically nothing. 

LSD, and most other hallucinogens for that matter, are actually some of the most benign drugs:

20101106_WOC504_0.gif

The reason meth, heroin, crack, and other drugs like that should be legalized is because they're so dangerous. Right now there's no way of guaranteeing the consistency and safety of a substance--not only do users have to worry about possibly ODing due to the purity varying hugely between purchases from cuts, but they also have to worry about their drugs being incorrectly mixed with something far more potent and killing them that way too. Low-purity heroin is sometimes combined with cheaper fentanyl or fentanyl analogues, which are extremely strong opioids 10-100,000 times more potent than heroin by weight, and it's virtually impossible to mix those in without getting hotspots that are drastically more powerful than heroin alone. Even LSD on its tiny blotters isn't immune to adulteration since 25I-NBOMe, a psychedelic active in microgram ranges which has hardly any history of human use and is relatively easy to fatally OD on, is often substituted for profit. Guaranteed purity from similar regulations to the ones currently used for pharmaceuticals would solve those issues, and it'd ensure sterility too. 

Edited by JeffMagnum, 01 July 2015 - 07:05 PM.

• WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, PsychedelicGrass and DeeRax like this

d1eZeG3.png

DeeRax

DeeRax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

My previous post was originally some long-winded thing that attempted to explain what you just did, but I ultimately refrained because I knew someone might do it better.

You did not disappoint.
Thank-You.

starfox-sig.gifrYFaSGG.gif

2XhpJes.png

"DeeRax's got what you've always wanted."

Massive_Assailant_Stingray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Well, I guess you'd never know unless you smoked weed. Sir Aregon said "There are many ways that are simpler and better for your health than cannabis ever will be.". Like what? Runners high? Where you have a pleasurable light headed feeling for a total of 2 minutes tops? It's just not sensible when people say there are so many healthy alternatives when they've never experienced an actual high in their entire life. I'm sorry, but you just don't know what smoking weed is like until you've smoked weed. Even if you've experience "comparable" highs before, you don't really know.

• _incitatus likes this

Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Well, I guess you'd never know unless you smoked weed. Sir Aregon said "There are many ways that are simpler and better for your health than cannabis ever will be.". Like what? Runners high? Where you have a pleasurable light headed feeling for a total of 2 minutes tops? It's just not sensible when people say there are so many healthy alternatives when they've never experienced an actual high in their entire life. I'm sorry, but you just don't know what smoking weed is like until you've smoked weed. Even if you've experience "comparable" highs before, you don't really know.

You are making it sound like it is wrong of me not supporting drugs. Which I don`t. If it was done correctly, I wouldn`t mind it, as I beleive if it was done like we do with alcohol it would be also a lot safer. But due to experience from family and the society here, I have learnt myself that so long it is done in ways that are not supported by government in the nation I am in, the smartest is to stay away from it.

CRITICAL ASSIST

United in Diversity, Divided by Zero
v9KKbH9.png
Spoiler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

You are making it sound like it is wrong of me not supporting drugs.

No, just trying to point out to Seron that the reason why he doesn't understand that people would go to such lengths for weed is because he doesn't really understand what it's like in the first place. And to say that there are many healthier, safer "alternatives" to weed suggests to me that you don't fully grasp what a "high" is really like either. I just find that kind of mind set some what over reactionary, considering how relatively harmless weed is.

But I don't have any problem with your personal stance on the drug. The original topic was actually about legal weed, I don't think anyone here yet has outright condoned the illegal use of the drug. If you don't want to do it, there's no problem with that.

Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

No, just trying to point out to Seron that the reason why he doesn't understand that people would go to such lengths for weed is because he doesn't really understand what it's like in the first place. And to say that there are many healthier, safer "alternatives" to weed suggests to me that you don't fully grasp what a "high" is really like either. I just find that kind of mind set some what over reactionary, considering how relatively harmless weed is.

But I don't have any problem with your personal stance on the drug. The original topic was actually about legal weed, I don't think anyone here yet has outright condoned the illegal use of the drug. If you don't want to do it, there's no problem with that.

I would like to say sorry if I sounded aggressive, but I am unhealthy zealous when it comes to anti-drugs so long it is illegal.

CRITICAL ASSIST

United in Diversity, Divided by Zero
v9KKbH9.png
Spoiler

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

I think you partially answered your own question there. Going on the basis of not cuasing harm to anyone else, BASE Jumping or mountain climbing do not endanger anyone else.

I'm sorry if this is a little nitpicky, but that is certainly not true. I have heard mountaineering called a selfish activity on several occasions. Why? Well if something happens to you in the course of your climb, maybe you get lost or break a leg, there will be a rescue operation launched on your behalf. And there have been many, many rescue operations in the history if the sport that did not turn out well for anyone involved.

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

I'm sorry if this is a little nitpicky, but that is certainly not true. I have heard mountaineering called a selfish activity on several occasions. Why? Well if something happens to you in the course of your climb, maybe you get lost or break a leg, there will be a rescue operation launched on your behalf. And there have been many, many rescue operations in the history if the sport that did not turn out well for anyone involved.

There's also always the risk of hurting someone below you by knocking something loose. This is the reason you always see us wearing helmets.
  • crockrocket likes this

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

There's also always the risk of hurting someone below you by knocking something loose. This is the reason you always see us wearing helmets.

Oh I thought the helmets were just to look cool. That's why you wear one to ride a bike right?

JgQjgkx.png

M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Masses got their opium legalized, from the cool kid to the corporate slave. There's no other option now. To resist, you must get straight. What a brilliant system.

Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Because I can:

SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY!

Bass boosted, sucker!

Edited by (KDR) Miscellaneous, 02 July 2015 - 10:36 AM.

• CrimsonKaim, OdinTheWise and M4st0d0n like this

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

Twitter%201.jpg?psid=1Steam%202.jpg?psid=1Tube%203.jpg?psid=1Hawken%204.jpg?psid=1Twitch%205.jpg?psid=1

Spoiler

(KDR) Seron16

(KDR) Seron16

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Lots of of points to respond to at this point. ^^

As I said, I have no problem with regulated legalization of guns. LOL Meant drugs, was just talking with someone else about guns and my mind is still on that.

I have no problem with regulated legalization of drugs. I don't support it myself, but as long as there are laws in place to prevent use while driving, or on the job (nothing like a high doctor doing heart surgery!), or anything else that endangers other people and so on, than having the same rules roughly as alcohol I think is a good fix. Especially if it allows the drugs themselves to be regulated by the FDA (or other country-specific applicable agency, and even then the FDA has its own problems) so that it does not become like a cigarette with a million terrible things in it other than the original nicotine. (Ever wonder why people who smoked back in the 16, 1700, even 1800s didn't have many of the tobacco "related" problems we have today? ;) )

As for the criminal side, I do pretty much fully agree there. The United States Justice system is PATHETIC in many ways all over the spectrum, from children to drugs to business. People busted with a bit of weed getting the same or worse punishment as a murderer (or similar example, can't think of a specific off the top of my head) is asinine and wrong. Our justice system and the entire jail, bond, etc businesses behind it do perpetuate these problems instead of fix them and that must be addressed.

As for not understanding, you are right mate, I won't understand unless I do it myself. I don't plan to, as my life is full of enjoyment from a multitude of other sources (friends, laughing, sex, food, my job, music, Hawken, KDR, computer games, etc.) and I don't see the need, but for others who wish to do so without endangering ANYONE else, and are aware of the risks (think children), then go for it mate, I won't stop you.

You want to own 150 guns and walk around your house with them. You're psychologically sane, will never hurt a soul, will never endanger others, etc. then fine, own 15,000 guns for all I care, thank you for helping the US economy! Sorry, still thinking about guns!  :teehee: 

If only we lived in perfect world. Though I think I'd be rather bored.

• crockrocket and JeffMagnum like this

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

Spoiler

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

- snip -

Well it sounds like we're all (mostly, meh on the guns part) in agreement

• (KDR) Seron16 likes this

JgQjgkx.png

(KDR) Seron16

(KDR) Seron16

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Well it sounds like we're all (mostly, meh on the guns part) in agreement

Indeed. Eh, the guns part was partly in jest, my views on that are just as complicated. ^^

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

Spoiler

hoghead

hoghead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

tumblr_m2pkgeyyJZ1qc41reo1_500.jpg

• Shoutaxeror, DeeRax and (KDR) Seron16 like this

OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts
right now weed is cool becaouse it is illegal and out law, and that is why all the kids want to try it. if you make it legal, it is no longer cool. also, if you are getting hi on weed, you gennerally not going anywhere. also here in america, laws are not always made based on common sense or facts. many of our polititians probably still think the earth is flat.

We Can Dance If We Want To     

OTWsig2.jpg

ES3lMRu.png?1

(KDR) Seron16

(KDR) Seron16

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

many of our polititians probably still think the earth is flat.

Sometimes I think many don't come from Earth.

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

Spoiler

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

right now weed is cool becaouse it is illegal and out law, and that is why all the kids want to try it. if you make it legal, it is no longer cool. also, if you are getting hi on weed, you gennerally not going anywhere. also here in america, laws are not always made based on common sense or facts. many of our polititians probably still think the earth is flat.

Ignoring the parts that didnt make any fuzzy bunnyng sense, yes, making weed legal will make it less cool to middle scholers. Will it still be a problem for those underage? Let me answer that with a question: is alcohol used by those underage?

JgQjgkx.png

_incitatus

_incitatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

That's Tosh, not Marley.