Photo

Player choice + Newbie-only servers (short-term suggestion)

- - - - - new player experience

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Hek_naw

Hek_naw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Since Reloaded doesn't seem to be able to release new builds for now, there won't be any changes in-game soon. In the short term, this means all the tackling to current problems must come from fixes outside the Hawken software.

So I have a suggestion that can be implemented immediately: after the account sign-up page, the website loads a form which explicitly states something like,

Hawken's matchmaker allows you to play with players close to your skill. With time,
you will find better players to join in battle as you gain experience.

Since you are new to Hawken, the matchmaker will not place you with or against players
that are too powerful for a begginer. However, the choice is yours:

? I'm here to have fun! Place me in a challenge of my own measure.
? It will be OK! Let me face players of superior skill, if available.

A message may show up if you check the second option, like "Warning: facing stronger players may not result in a fun experience."

Then the matchmaker can force newbie-only servers. Players with enough play time or enough MMR will not be able to join these servers through the queue, the server browser nor the buddy list.

The default choice will be to join newbie-only servers. Players explicitly choosing the second option may also join these servers, however the matchmaker will place them in other servers if necessary.

Unless I am mistaken, there is no need to change anything in the Hawken software for these changes to happen.

Pros:

- No need for a PC software update. It all happens via the official website and matchmaker backend.

- Can be implemented right away.

- Provides newbie protection.

- Newbies have a choice!

- Gives smurfs a reason to expect more matches with main accounts.

- Honest smurfs will not necessarily participate in newbie-only servers (because they will check the second option)

Cons:

-Doesn't prevent smurfing per se (but what does? Only a larger player base, which is the main goal of this suggestion.)

• Draigun, LadyTiggs, DerMax and 9 others like this

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

So many games of a similar economy have a newbie queue by now, and it seems to work quite well. 

I'm not sure if just giving them an option once is a good idea. Simply place another tab up there with co-op bots, explore maps, and pvp called "New pilot games" or the like that allows players to access newbie only servers until level 10 or so.

If you do give them the options you listed, I would add a third that says:

? This is a new account, but I am not new to Hawken.

If a players select this option, it will prompt them with another set of options similar to what follows:

I have made a second account because:

? I like unlocking things and leveling up.

? I wish to play under a different name.

? Many people know me on another account. I wish to play anonymously.

? My other account has trouble getting into matches.

? My other account has other problems.

This would allow honest smurfs to provide survey data.

• LadyTiggs, Miscellaneous, JackVandal and 1 other like this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

Rainbow_Sheep

Rainbow_Sheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
The 2 posts above me are both great, new player servers would definitely help with the problem of high level players coming in and stomping.

The only problem is where to draw the MMR line or if there should be one (opt in opt out for example)

I like the idea of the checkboxes, so smurfs can get to their own level quickly and so new players don't have to go against smurfs.

Spoiler

Badtings

Badtings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Under 50 matches = newbie these days :D

8CyRDl7.gifGYM1W9I.png

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

This will take a lot more to implement than you might expect.

They will have to take down certain servers and set them up for the newbies.

They would have to rewrite tons of code to allow matchmaker to tell the difference... etc.

It's not that it's a bad idea, it's worth trying. Just saying I think it is far from easy or immediate.

Also, I don't see this helping with the smurfing problem at all.  Those who do it for fair and honest reasons will still be fair and honest.  Those who do it for the love of picking on the weak will still do that... and will still lie about it in-game.

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

Under 50 matches = newbie these days :D

Under 500 matches = newbie these days.

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

Hek_naw

Hek_naw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Fortunately, Tiggs and capnjosh seem to be familiar with the matchmaker code by now.

I hope someone from the dev team reads the suggestion and shares their opinion and insight.

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

I'm in total favour of having servers with restricted MMR ranges, because it will help a lot with reducing the frequency of unbalanced matches that have elite high MMR players and newbie low MMR players (except for you dirty little smurfs out there... >:|). This of course would also ensure that everyone on said server has around the same experience and skill as each other (again, except for smurfs).

EDIT: Come to think of it, having restricted MMR servers would of course result in servers that are restricted to high tier players. AFAIK that would make smurfing kind of pointless, unless you like trolling.

Edited by ??�?�؃??, 02 July 2015 - 07:38 PM.

d9133aa6ec.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new player experience

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users