• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

CounterlogicMan

CounterlogicMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Now that the prices of mechs, weapons, and internals are at a sane amount. We can now talk about progression and hc income. This is important because Hawken is a competitive shooter going for a hardcore audience. Most hardcore players don't have fun when they lose. We are already aware of the reality that is the poor new player experience of losing 3/4 of their games. They also don't have fun when they have to grind a lot while losing. There is also a lot of games competing for hardcore fps players attention these days. So it is important that players feel like they are making a difference in their progression each game in order to keep them hooked on Hawken.

HC gain in hawken compared to what things cost is pretty low. Even with the new prices. I understand that the devs want to drive the demand of the hc boosts. But being able to watch yourself make tangible progress means a lot to players. Especially new ones who don't have a lot of content unlocked. If a player feels like they aren't making progress towards their goal fast enough in relation to how much fun they are having vs this same relation in another game, then they will just go play another game.

The goal in free to play games is to increase the life cycle of new players so they are in the game longer and are exposed more often to payable alternatives to grinding as well as cosmetics. Tangible progress, fun, and cosmetics/aesthetics is what makes people keep coming back. If the payable alternative or grind is to much players will give up and decide they will have more fun making progress in another one of the many many f2p games out there.

Capnjosh just nailed it on reducing prices across the board. As we all know prices in Hawken have been ludicrous for so long. Driving a lot of players out of the game early in the life cycle because the grind is too much for only winning 1 out of 4 games on average. The other half of this is hc income. It is very very low. 

I propose a increase to hc income from matches in order to make the grind become more palatable to new players. Players will unlock more stuff more often. Which some could see as a bad thing. However the change I feel would be enough to make players feel like they are actually making tangible progress towards their next mech. Also considering what dm30 said, TLDR "unlocking a mech is fine and all but it really isn't usable until internals/items are on it. Something new players know and hate." this would make players able to kit out their mechs more easily. Something that would make the pay 2 win feeling diminish more as players would be able to see how players are able to gain these internals/items after a few games for each internal/item. On top of that if the player got an HC boost then they would be getting a new internal/item after every game or two.

Everyone loves unlocking new things in f2p games. When you unlock something you want to play with it, test it, show it off, etc. At its core f2p games are all about unlocking new things and balancing the paid alternative against that in a way that it is a reasonable option for those with disposable income. With the market so saturated, hardcore fps players attention so split, and Hawkens new player experience problems. I think the devs should go a little farther than just reducing prices of mechs/internals. They should be a little more liberal with the hc gains in order to give new players an incentive to stay with Hawken.

Gamers love progress. In fact they are addicted to it. That addiction has limits though. They know the difference between climbing a hill and climbing a wall. Hawken needs to be a hill worth climbing rather than a daunting wall sitting next to nice looking hills (other f2p games). No one likes a wall that while climbing you get whipped by sun glasses wearing veterans in jet packs all yelling "learn to play fuzzy bunny". Looking at our steam charts....I think most gamers who have tried Hawken know this as well. So lets make progression a bit easier in Hawken. Mech/weapon/internal pricing is only half the battle.

Edited by CounterlogicMan, 10 June 2015 - 01:09 PM.

• Draigun, crockrocket, Elite_is_salty and 6 others like this

Axe-Attack Check us out! Stream I stream spasmodically.

TPG Hawken Admin.

TPG 3 has concluded! If you are interested in participating in TPG Season 4 gather a group and form a team or try and join an existing team! Stay tuned to the forums for updates on the details of TPG Season 4.

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

HC bonuses for every few levels, maybe every 5 or so levels! 5k, 10k HC, idc make it happen

• eth0 and Hijinks_The_Turtle like this

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

*snip*

I can get behind this.  The grind can be frustrating.

Edited by h????????????????????????????????i??, 10 June 2015 - 01:11 PM.

CounterlogicMan

CounterlogicMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

I can get behind this.  The grind can be frustrating.

especially when wading through a sea of smurf accounts.

Axe-Attack Check us out! Stream I stream spasmodically.

TPG Hawken Admin.

TPG 3 has concluded! If you are interested in participating in TPG Season 4 gather a group and form a team or try and join an existing team! Stay tuned to the forums for updates on the details of TPG Season 4.

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

especially when wading through a sea of smurf accounts.

It's hard for me to go against the super skilled players in smurf accounts.  It's not very fun when I lose badly over and over even if I'm trying my best.  All I get from that struggle is a very meh amount of HC. :c  I do enjoy a challenge, but going through it over and over just doesn't feel right.

Edited by h????????????????????????????????i??, 10 June 2015 - 01:24 PM.

eth0

eth0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

More HC bonuses please! Even if it's a silly small amount, getting some hc for achievements, leveling up, maxing out a mech... all the more light at the end of the grindy tunnel.

• fAEth and Nicksiren like this

Pubstomping is a whole different strategic discussion, however, and usually just becomes an exploration of the ethics of dumpstering randos.

UYoy63i.png

Why mech game make when you no mech game have you don't want to make? 

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Also: assign HC bonuses to more (perhaps all) of the achievements.

Literally no one cares about XP, but there are some achievements I still haven't got.

• Meraple, MomOw, DM30 and 3 others like this

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

More achievements, please.

• Hyginos and Nicksiren like this

Did I say Call Me Ishmael?

You should call me Luna.

DM30

DM30

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Also: assign HC bonuses to more (perhaps all) of the achievements.

Literally no one cares about XP, but there are some achievements I still haven't got.

So much this. To this day, I still have no idea why ADH/MTR thought removing the credit bonuses on awards was a good idea. It eased the grind, especially early on, and it gave players something substantial to shoot for aside from just collecting/leveling mechs (and, you know, playing the game...). So many people have brought this up. I really hope capnjosh considers/is considering this.

Edited by DM30, 10 June 2015 - 02:26 PM.

• Meraple, eth0 and Nicksiren like this

Hawken gameplay

TPG Playlists -- Season 2 | Season 3

Nicksiren

Nicksiren

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

As a new player I agree the HC progression is quite slow, especially considering for every mech (which costs almost 10k) you have to buy a separate set of internals and items. This adds up QUITE fast even to get a base loadout for a newly purchased mech.

Part of what helped me cope with all of this is when I discovered daily win HC bonuses - however with the current system I had no idea these existed until I did some research. This is why I'm proposing an indicator to show time remaining until daily HC bonuses are available, which I discuss in this thread: https://community.pl...onus-indicator/

I think this would be a fantastic quality of life addition for all players, both new and old, and would help alleviate (NOT solve) some of the HC concerns. If you guys could comment in the thread I would love to hear what you have to say about the idea, and the more people who talk about it will give a better chance at the devs noticing it.

Also I think having more HC rewards for achievements or time-based missions/tasks is a fantastic idea and would give more incentives to play and progress.

Edited by Nicksiren, 10 June 2015 - 03:48 PM.

• CounterlogicMan likes this

Grollourdo

Grollourdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
Or maybe an hc boost promo code that can be redeemed every month?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy bunny into
 (") (") your signature to help him gain world domination XD

And if you dont .... 

bloody_keyboard.gif    <-------------- ME and Bunny

(This is also me when u no cooperate in game XD)

Dawn_of_Ash

Dawn_of_Ash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Or maybe an hc boost promo code that can be redeemed every month?

What is stopping anyone from just selling these codes for real $$$?

Anyways, I'm all for reducing the grind - especially for newer players. I think the idea with giving  HC with rewards was a good idea and that it would help reduce the grind for new players and not make the grind disappear after you get over these rewards. So I'm +1 for that.

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

What is stopping anyone from just selling these codes for real $$$?

Anyways, I'm all for reducing the grind - especially for newer players. I think the idea with giving HC with rewards was a good idea and that it would help reduce the grind for new players and not make the grind disappear after you get over these rewards. So I'm +1 for that.

There were HC codes, but they didn't sell well due to MC codes being a thing.
  • talons1337 likes this

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts
I've always missed the hc award for achievements, I still have some screenshots of that last fateful night, when the old crew piled into a public server and stacked up all of our bruiser achievements - we were trying to get as much HC as we could before ADH turned off all of those HC rewards tied to achievements.

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

FIRST OFF WHAT THE FUZZ IS A "SHILL"

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

There has been HC rewards added to a few of the early available rewards I think, but I'm not sure how many, or if it's enough.

Does underdog bonus reward any HC? If not, that might be worth looking into.

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Agreed, if HC throughput is increased, this will improve player retention. Largely, it couldn't be put into better words: the amount of effort and time—through spending money to grinding it up between 8 hour shifts—invested in Hawken isn't reflected through the amount of HC one earns per match, per day. It's not at a comfortable level.

On another note, didn't Adhesive actually lower the HC throughput some time ago to balance the economy? Economy balance was a major project that Adhesive wanted to continually tune and adjust. Unlike heavy balance changes, or outright new mechs, the economy can be adjusted and tuned without the risk associated with those aforementioned. This should leave a lot of headroom for Reloaded to restart economic balance—which evidently, they've already begun.

Edited by Draigun, 11 June 2015 - 07:35 AM.

TpsOr7F.png

Grollourdo

Grollourdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
OK , earlier on this thread, I suggested re usable hc codes...

Ok why not instead get a possible 3 day hc boost drop from playing with interbals of every 1 or 2 months?

(\__/)

And if you dont .... 

Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

HC codes and/or boosts shorten the grind, but are only temporary. It would be better to directly modify HC throughput, which would reinforce players to continue playing, as compared to a temporary boost in HC amount—only to realize that you've already spent the amount obtained through that boost. It's a one time incentive.

It's not nearly efficient as directly altering the HC throughput.

TpsOr7F.png

Grollourdo

Grollourdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
A permanent buff to the income wont make people Wang to play more but rather make them want to play more AT FIRST and then get used to it and there fore not having any Kore effect. If you use a public renewable code every month or whatever time interval u would use, It makes people feel that is special... Get it?

Maybe we could think of another better system that makes the player think its special... But yeah XD lol get me?

(\__/)

And if you dont .... 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: income, hc, new player experience, progression

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users