ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

We call it futball, or foci.

Where do you find these things.

Also regarding comment in other thread: Fahrenheit is a system of human metrics, based on 0 to 100 whereby 0 degrees is very cold (to human beings) and 100 degrees is very hot (to human beings).

0 degrees Celsius is kind of just "meh" whereas 100 degrees Celsius is "dead" - as it's not based around people, it's based around water. By human standards, Celsius doesn't actually make any sense. What we experience as "very cold" is around -17 C, and very hot is 37. For communication purposes, that's very "what are you even talking about." In Fahrenheit, one doesn't need to pay attention to the rightmost digit so much. Increments of ten work well for establishing information about the temperature when it comes to day to day usage - whereas in Celsius, one needs that last digit, as the difference between 0 and 9 degrees Celsius is the difference between literally freezing and an early spring day in Northeastern US.

As someone who uses the metric system for all manner of things, for day to day usage, Fahrenheit is actually pretty superior to Celsius for describing the experience of temperature in our usual environment - which is literally 100% of most people's communication regarding temperature (also note that the human body's natural temperature is right around 100 degrees Fahrenheit - versus a seemingly random 37 degrees Celsius). While my phone is tuned to a 24 hour clock, and I know that I'm just shy of 2 Meters tall - Fahrenheit is just incredibly more convenient than Celsius for usage by 95% of the population - and for the other 5%, Kelvin all the way. Celsius is a crap metric for the general population and scientists alike.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, 08 July 2015 - 11:54 PM.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

344a7f66143012202280153713_700wa_0.gif

The PC community is the red headed step child Reloaded never wanted but got saddled with when they married the PC community's mother.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Shoutout to mah real Africans out there.

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

I use Kelvin. Always.

• ticklemyiguana and OdinTheWise like this

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
#freekelvin

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Rankine is obviously the best scale for everyday use, plebs. It's all the unwieldiness of Kelvin with the shitty arbitrary increments of Fahrenheit in one convenient system. 

Also regarding comment in other thread: Fahrenheit is a system of human metrics, based on 0 to 100 whereby 0 degrees is very cold (to human beings) and 100 degrees is very hot (to human beings).

0 degrees Celsius is kind of just "meh" whereas 100 degrees Celsius is "dead" - as it's not based around people, it's based around water. By human standards, Celsius doesn't actually make any sense. What we experience as "very cold" is around -17 C, and very hot is 37. For communication purposes, that's very "what are you even talking about." In Fahrenheit, one doesn't need to pay attention to the rightmost digit so much. Increments of ten work well for establishing information about the temperature when it comes to day to day usage - whereas in Celsius, one needs that last digit, as the difference between 0 and 9 degrees Celsius is the difference between literally freezing and an early spring day in Northeastern US.

Also Tickle because i feel like being pedantic, IIRC the original scale that Fahrenheit came up with went from 0-96--0 was roughly equal to the lowest temperature he could get brine to, and 96 was approximately the temperature of the human body. So it's not really based on human perceptions of temperature, which would be impossible to determine anyway since people detect temperature differences and indirectly heat flux (this is somewhat inaccurate but I don't feel like typing something huge out that no one will read) more so than how hot things actually are. A chunk of copper that's at 0 degrees F will feel much, much colder than air at the same temperature. 

Edited by JeffMagnum, 09 July 2015 - 03:51 AM.

• Amidatelion likes this

d1eZeG3.png

Dawn_of_Ash

Dawn_of_Ash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

A few things to say about this, Tickle. As a person who both lives in Australia and using the metric system, there's a few things from what you said that are a bit incorrect. The difference between 0-9 degrees celcius is not as big as you make it seem. The unit of celcius is actually measured from water - something important to all life. At 0 degrees, water is at it's freezing point - as in at 0 degrees celcius, water freezes. At 100 degrees celcius, water is at it's boiling point. Easy numbers to remember.

Now, the basic human temperature is 37 degrees celcius, but us, as humans WHEREVER WE ARE, prefer around 17-23 degrees celcius. Go below as 0 degrees and people are VERY COLD. Like right now around where I live, it is REALLY COLD and I am shivering, and it's only around 5-10 degrees celcius, whilst when I was growing up, I loved in a around 40 degree Celsius place - which is very hot. As you said, 37 is considered hot, but 10 is considered cold and -10 would equal EXTREMELY COLD - as in you would not last very long, cold. Although how we react to the climates around us may also have a thing to do about it - the cold would likely affect me far more than it would affect a Canadian. 

But more on topic: Is it soccer or football? My answer to that question is not an answer but a word; context. Context is crucial. If someone called soccer football and I was in one of the countries that do call it that - around the Europe region, I am completely fine with that. But I am not going to accept some person criticizing/correcting me on the internet about me calling soccer, soccer instead of football. Why? Because I can name 3 different "footballs" off the bat - American Football, Aussie-rules Football (the best one out there you scrubs :P) and the Soccer Football. It is downright confusing when a person says a sentence like "I love Football!", when US are thinking "NFL" (and sorry if I get that wrong, Americans - I don't know too much about your sport despite having played it for a bit) and Aussies think "Aussie-rules" as I tend to call it on the internet.

So, for the sake of the internet, let's call it "Soccor" - because the internet already has too many footballs out there.

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

A few things to say about this, Tickle. As a person who both lives in Australia and using the metric system, there's a few things from what you said that are a bit incorrect. The difference between 0-9 degrees celcius is not as big as you make it seem. The unit of celcius is actually measured from water - something important to all life. At 0 degrees, water is at it's freezing point - as in at 0 degrees celcius, water freezes. At 100 degrees celcius, water is at it's boiling point. Easy numbers to remember.

Now, the basic human temperature is 37 degrees celcius, but us, as humans WHEREVER WE ARE, prefer around 17-23 degrees celcius. Go below as 0 degrees and people are VERY COLD. Like right now around where I live, it is REALLY COLD and I am shivering, and it's only around 5-10 degrees celcius, whilst when I was growing up, I loved in a around 40 degree Celsius place - which is very hot. As you said, 37 is considered hot, but 10 is considered cold and -10 would equal EXTREMELY COLD - as in you would not last very long, cold. Although how we react to the climates around us may also have a thing to do about it - the cold would likely affect me far more than it would affect a Canadian.

0-9 Celsius is 32 to 49 Fahrenheit, if after a night of drinking I recall correctly. 32 is chilly, but not "fuzzy bunny let me get my winter boots and jacket" cold. 49 after a long winter is practically t-shirt weather.

I am plenttttttty aware of the numbers in Celsius. The range from cold to hot is just smaller numerically and its end points are strange numbers making communication a tad more difficult.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, 11 July 2015 - 08:24 AM.

• OdinTheWise likes this

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

Dawn_of_Ash

Dawn_of_Ash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

0-9 Celsius is 32 to 49 Fahrenheit, if after a night of drinking I recall correctly. 32 is chilly, but not "fuzzy bunny let me get my winter boots and jacket" cold. 49 after a long winter is practically t-shirt weather.

I am plenttttttty aware of the numbers in Celsius. The range from cold to hot is just smaller numerically and its end points are strange numbers making communication a tad more difficult.

Well then, this must come down to opinions I guess. As an American, you have likely built up a tolerance for colder weather and as an Australian, I haven't. I find 0-9 degrees freaking cold.

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Well then, this must come down to opinions I guess. As an American, you have likely built up a tolerance for colder weather and as an Australian, I haven't. I find 0-9 degrees freaking cold.

Earlier this year in Missouri the temperature got to -19 F (or roughly -28 C) in one place, but fuzzy bunny going out without a coat at 32 degrees unless there's absolutely no wind chill. Tickle is just weird

d1eZeG3.png

Dawn_of_Ash

Dawn_of_Ash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Earlier this year in Missouri the temperature got to -19 F (or roughly -28 C) in one place, but fuzzy bunny going out without a coat at 32 degrees unless there's absolutely no wind chill. Tickle is just weird

Well, I haven't felt snow in my entire life, so I suppose that has something to do with my low tolerance of cold.

But that's actually so freaking cold. O_o I don't know if I should be impressed or scared about that.

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

Well you live in Missouri, you fuzzy bunny. I live in NY. 32 is chilly, but a good sweater will easily suffice - and it's actually considered right in the middle of the official range for a "temperate" climate - though frankly I've never seen -40 (the low end).

Edited by ticklemyiguana, 12 July 2015 - 09:38 PM.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Well you live in Missouri, you fuzzy bunny. I live in NY. 32 is chilly, but a good sweater will easily suffice - and it's actually considered right in the middle of the official range for a "temperate" climate - though frankly I've never seen -40 (the low end).

I guess a sweater is fine but I don't have any that I wear so -32 is coat temperature for me. Apparently the coldest temperature here ever was -40 as opposed to -52 in NY, so the somewhat cooler winters seem like a fair tradeoff for not having frequent 200 degree temperature shifts within 24 hours. Trade me weather pls

d1eZeG3.png

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

I guess a sweater is fine but I don't have any that I wear so -32 is coat temperature for me. Apparently the coldest temperature here ever was -40 as opposed to -52 in NY, so the somewhat cooler winters seem like a fair tradeoff for not having frequent 200 degree temperature shifts within 24 hours. Trade me weather pls

-32 would be very cold indeed. Fortunately 0 C is +32.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
Go away nerd

d1eZeG3.png

OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

9 deg C is a nice balmy weather where we michigan people start geting the shorts out and warming up the grill. if its 0 C i will just throw on a hoody and go on my mary way 

We Can Dance If We Want To     

OTWsig2.jpg

ES3lMRu.png?1

hoghead

hoghead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
ooo.gifWhose mary.....? Marry..... no..... OOOOO..... MERRY , MERRY way! Ok Ok I get it, stupid me :blush: . Carry on. :whistling: Sry Odin couldn't help myself. :biggrin:

Edited by hoghead, 14 July 2015 - 08:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users