• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

I've debated writing this post for awhile now – mostly because I can't pretend that frustration isn't my primary motivator. This post will appear pedantic and arrogant, regardless of my wording. If you didn't like me before, you certainly won't now; and if you thought me a pleasant person (hah), this post might shred the veil. If the source of my frustration is any indicator, though, insight into Omni's operations will be useful to anyone contemplating competitive play.

The Omniscient and its members have won every Hawken event we've attended. Convincingly. The only exception was an early duel tournament where (now Omni) Xacius defeated Leonhardt and his retarded mech selection. We've won, through three TPG seasons, every championship, all of our playoff games, and all but one of our regular/pre-season matches.

Throughout this time, we've seen opponents misconstrue our overarching approach to competitive play. This isn't new – indeed, I've written almost this same post every time we've left a game – but it remains annoying. To be clear, I don't care that people question our abilities, and I'm neither expecting nor hoping that people perceive Omni as god's gift to Hawken. It's a game. We get that. However, I want the community to understand how we operate and why we've done well.

In General

The Omniscient are a group of competitively-oriented friends who've taken top honours across ladders and leagues in various games. We gravitate toward fast-paced shooters with high skill ceilings, but we've also played seriously the occasional MMO. In large part, we simply prefer fast-paced games and their emphasis on mechanical skill and rapid cognitive processing. However, there's also a strategic component behind our selections: higher mechanical skill ceilings mean wider skill gaps between players – skill gaps that aren't dependent on knowledge and experience. As such, we don't require tons of time to become competitive, and are free to focus on our studies and our jobs.

For example, assuming we've the requisite mechanical skills, we could waltz into Unreal Tournament instagib CTF and dominate the competition. Our mechanical skills wouldn't carry nearly so far in League of Legends, however, so we'd have to plunge many more hours into the game before becoming competitive.

Omni recruits purposefully

Spoiler

Omni expects – and trains – our members to be the best players in whichever game we're playing. We also train efficiently.

Spoiler

Omni attempts to avoid cognitive biases

Spoiler

Omni designs strategies that match our playstyles and skillsets. We also fine-tune our strategies as situations change.

Spoiler

Omni runs effective comms

Spoiler

Video Examples

Video Examples on their way.

Facility Strategy in Action.  Note the comms, as well.

Comms on Origin.

On Practice and Ego.

Lol - once we understood what this drill improves, I felt stupid for not trying this in the first place.

U wanna git gud at a shooter with a dodging mechanic? Practice dodging and shooting. Duh.

Inefficient practice is pretty par for the course. Think about things logically, though: If you were playing hockey and your wrist shot needed improvement, would you run constant Offense vs. Defense drills? Scrimmage a lot? Or would you just shoot a lot of pucks?

People don't often think deeply about practice, or they let their egos and short attention spans enter the equation.  Sometimes, for example, players prefer dueling because they usually win.  Their "practice" becomes an opportunity to showcase superiority.  But by focusing on dueling (which emphasizes positioning, radar awareness, and corner play), they're often neglecting target acquisition time and raw accuracy. Encounters during competitive play are frantic, quick affairs – you don't have thirty seconds for careful positioning. That isn't to say that dueling isn't good practice, but it might not be the practice you need most - especially if you're consistently beating your practice partner(s).  Conversely, many players avoid dueling because they don't want to lose.

Asides from providing motivation and drive, ego has no place in practice.  It muddies self-analysis, preventing people from identifying issues; it causes rifts between teammates; and it often dissuades people from practicing in the first place - either because they believe themselves above it, or because they don't want to lose face. 

And yes, Omnis have egos. Ego, pride, all those supposedly awful things – they actually promote self-improvement, provided your actions and attributions don't revolve around delusion. When Omni performs poorly, we accept responsibility, analyze the issues, and efficiently address them. We avoid idle preening. We avoid ego-driven avoidance.

Omni preempts ego-related problems through two mechanisms: 1) our players are mindful of their egos and direct them accordingly; 2) our players listen to their teammates, and to their leader. We identify weaknesses and expect that they'll be addressed. That's it. There's no arguing about it, and there's no denial. We assess against the game's best – both within and outside Omni – so as to maintain a comfortable skill differential. And one more (egotistical) thing: we're nowhere near our maximum potential. We simply practiced to the point where we could comfortably defeat all opposition.

Edited by Nept: Ultra Lord of the God-Kings, 12 February 2016 - 02:37 PM.

• phed, Lucier, coldform and 18 others like this

Nepts_Ego

Nepts_Ego

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

TLDR: You're all bad.

• dorobo, coldform, Crminimal and 8 others like this

angryhampster

angryhampster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

thank you for the sweet thread, have a cupcake.  you are a good SS player

• Nept, RedVan and M1lkshake like this

Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

ok

No crew

harmless_kittens

harmless_kittens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Yeah, it comes across as very self-absorbed to a casual new player like me.  And I have zero desire to become that good at this GAME.  Nice, humble name you got there too.  Congrats on your awesomeness though.

Edited by harmless_kittens, 11 February 2016 - 08:33 AM.

• Nept, RedVan, LRod and 7 others like this

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

K

• Xacius, Superkamikazee, CraftyDus and 1 other like this

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

I'd like to draw specific attention to the comms and cognitive bias portions, particularly for the teams I've played with. God knows I need to work on the bias portion myself.

But seriously, if you're in a comp situation shut the unholy fuzz up.

• Robscancer, Nept, Xacius and 1 other like this

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
K
  • LaurenEmily, Xacius, Superkamikazee and 1 other like this

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
When I dropped in Hawken from comp dod, it was all pub clans convinced they were the best, and zero in the way of a proper comp scene.

Im so glad they got a taste
  • Nept and RedVan like this

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

lwY3QRd.jpg

Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

While I will admit that I for many subjective reasons can find TeamOmni`s presence somewhat intimidating, as I think it can scare of many from joining leagues and a somewhat unforgiving attitude towards failures (from my understandings), I can at least appreciate the openness in the beginning of the post, knowing how others may look upon it as simply "this is why we are so much better than your scrubby lil buttockses". So yea +1 on that 

• Nept likes this

CRITICAL ASSIST

United in Diversity, Divided by Zero
v9KKbH9.png
Spoiler

Pleasure_Mortar

Pleasure_Mortar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

I've debated writing this post for awhile now – mostly because I can't pretend that frustration isn't my primary motivator. This post will appear pedantic and arrogant, regardless of my wording. If you didn't like me before, you certainly won't now; and if you thought me a pleasant person (hah), this post might shred the veil. If the source of my frustration is any indicator, though, insight into Omni's operations will be useful to anyone contemplating competitive play.

This is the only arrogant part IMO.

The rest is just some very detailed, usefull information.

It's not much different from an approach to a very competitive sport IMO.

• phed, Nept, Xacius and 1 other like this

Dew

Dew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

You're wasting your time. People are either competitively-minded or they aren't, and that's already obvious from the dismissive replies in this thread.

• Meraple and Merl61 like this

HOHOHOSANTA

HOHOHOSANTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure
  • coldform, HoneyBoomBoom and CraftyDus like this

DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Omni clearly is the strongest in Hawken, but I think that in the unlikely event Hawken ever makes it big, professional, world-tier teams will move from other games to Hawken, and then you will have a VERY hard time remaining at the #1 spot. Think you can?

Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

You're wasting your time. People are either competitively-minded or they aren't, and that's already obvious from the dismissive replies in this thread.

Dismissive due to head in own anus syndrome detected. 

• lo_spaghetto and DieselCat like this

No crew

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Dismissive due to head in own anus syndrome detected. 

I'm drowning in irony.

• Amidatelion, lo_spaghetto, eth0 and 6 others like this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

I'm drowning in irony.

giphy.gif

No crew

HOHOHOSANTA

HOHOHOSANTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
Honestly they can be defeated imo but givin the fact that there are only so many top tier players in this game and on individual teams/clans instead of making another super team to knock them off. They will remain in that position until then hence y they never been stopped yet..
  • DieselCat and WmMoneyFrmMissouri like this

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Honestly they can be defeated imo but givin the fact that there are only so many top tier players in this game and on individual teams/clans instead of making another super team to knock them off. They will remain in that position until then hence y they never been stopped yet..

I keep hearing stories in their TS about "Omni killer" super-teams that have been put together in other games.

I would love for one of those stories to involve Hawken one day.

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

DeeRax

DeeRax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

• Nept, HorseHeadProphet, _incitatus and 3 others like this

starfox-sig.gifrYFaSGG.gif

2XhpJes.png

"DeeRax's got what you've always wanted."

Merl61

Merl61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

I keep hearing stories in their TS about "Omni killer" super-teams that have been put together in other games.

The issue here is that (though a team could be assembled with the capacity to beat Omni) actually getting those players together on one team for any extended period of time is impossible. The sheer variation in personality is a glaring issue, not to mention the fact that several are already dedicated to current teams. I have no desire to join Omni in its current state but I do have a desire to compete with people that I feel can teach me something, so naturally I have put a great deal of thought into what such a team would look like and the closest thing ever was what crush was 6 months ago. Where is crush now? Gone. Fragmented. Half the players don't play anymore. The thing that makes Omni so good is their longevity and consistency. That's why they haven't been beaten. Their skill can be matched. Their team can't.
  • phed likes this

jWZL3Hm.jpg

Thanks to Badtings for this awesome banner!

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

While I will admit that I for many subjective reasons can find TeamOmni`s presence somewhat intimidating, as I think it can scare of many from joining leagues and a somewhat unforgiving attitude towards failures (from my understandings), I can at least appreciate the openness in the beginning of the post, knowing how others may look upon it as simply "this is why we are so much better than your scrubby lil buttockses". So yea +1 on that 

And I appreciate your pointing that out.  Omni will be breaking from Hawken for awhile, so opponents and detractors (They exist!  I know, I'm surprised too) can rest easier.  Of course, our members with TPG positions will continue to fulfill their obligations.

Worth mentioning that our players are generally well-behaved in-game, especially considering the verbal abuse they withstand.  It's not exactly soul crushing, but it does become exasperating dealing with hack accusation this, or I'm better than you that.  We discourage members both from starting fuzzy bunny themselves and from dealing harshly with newbies.  However, we do allow members to be jerks to jerks.  If you're not a jerk, though, we're typically quite helpful and friendly; any intolerance toward failure is kept within team boundaries. 

You'll rarely find an Omni shittalking pubbers, and you'll never find us disparaging match or scrim partners.  In fact, we discourage members from streaming lest some badmouthing slips out - which, ironically, prompted this post.  Our entire roster has spent years listening to opponents badmouth - not all opponents, of course, but a significant number - and then being prevented from responding harshly.  We wanted to speak our piece before we left.  And we wanted to direct the competitive community's attention toward several recurring problems.

Yeah, it comes across as very self-absorbed to a casual new player like me.  And I have zero desire to become that good at this GAME.  Nice, humble name you got there too.  Congrats on your awesomeness though.

Oh snap, you edited a name bash in there! 

1. My name's obviously a joke.  It was extended thusly (from God-King Nept) to prod several individuals posting responses similar to yours. 
  2. We recognize it's a game.  I stated as much both immediately and clearly. 
  3. This post isn't directed toward casual players, although some sections would certainly apply. 
  4. We've no beef with casual players: it's totally cool if you've no desire to approach competitive play. 
  5. Omniscient has achieved its accomplishments while recruiting some damn quality people who've become trusted friends.  We enjoy competition, and we've developed the skillset to succeed.  I recognize you're implying that we've wasted our time, but that's a shallow, trite, and mistaken assessment. 
  6. I expect more grace and less posturing from someone whose (frankly, parochial) moral perspectives have cluttered these general forums.  But maybe that's unrealistic.

That's alright - this post was partially self-serving anyway.  Regardless, our opinion's public and people may react as they will.

Omni clearly is the strongest in Hawken, but I think that in the unlikely event Hawken ever makes it big, professional, world-tier teams will move from other games to Hawken, and then you will have a VERY hard time remaining at the #1 spot. Think you can?

Absolutely.  We'll be there, barring natural disasters.

• RedVan and DeeRax like this

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

The issue here is that (though a team could be assembled with the capacity to beat Omni) actually getting those players together on one team for any extended period of time is impossible. The sheer variation in personality is a glaring issue, not to mention the fact that several are already dedicated to current teams. I have no desire to join Omni in its current state but I do have a desire to compete with people that I feel can teach me something, so naturally I have put a great deal of thought into what such a team would look like and the closest thing ever was what crush was 6 months ago. Where is crush now? Gone. Fragmented. Half the players don't play anymore. The thing that makes Omni so good is their longevity and consistency. That's why they haven't been beaten. Their skill can be matched. Their team can't.

Fundamental Attribution Error (FAE), the Actor-Observer Effect, and Self-Serving Bias:

• breadeffect, RedVan, Hyginos and 1 other like this

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Well yeah, some people are obviously never going to be, but I think it's beneficial to have as much info on the mental aspects of the game at high levels as possible for anyone wanting to improve beyond getting better at pure mechanics. A decent amount of this applies to normal individual pub play anyway.
  • phed, Nept and Zebanchi like this

d1eZeG3.png

HOHOHOSANTA

HOHOHOSANTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

I keep hearing stories in their TS about "Omni killer" super-teams that have been put together in other games. Never heard of them lol all I know is the players capable if formed together on a team can beat them imo hypothetically speaking imagine a team that consist of like..Cluster. Xiphos27. Cond0m. DarkTim300. Merl16. Etc in that aspect all one a team. I think it's very possible for them to win. But as Merl16 said himself in the post below this it is impossible to bring such a team together leaving their respective tram they're on now to come together on one team. Unless they take the time to consider it and talk about it. On a serious note

harmless_kittens

harmless_kittens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Sorry for the snark, but what is a new player supposed to think about your name (which apparently you edited specifically to evoke a response) and then what you wrote?  You may mean well, but without a healthy level of humility in there it just comes across (to me at least) as narcissism.  But in hindsight I should have listened to my gut and just not replied at all, since this type/level of play will never affect me.  

Signing out of this thread.

Edited by harmless_kittens, 11 February 2016 - 11:06 AM.

• Nept likes this

Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

As a reply to your last part of that comment:

Spoiler

• Fantus_Longhorn likes this

CRITICAL ASSIST

v9KKbH9.png
Spoiler

TheButtSatisfier

TheButtSatisfier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Quote of quote

Just in case anyone else double checks like I did:

No, Hyginos didn't write all that extra stuff.

• M1lkshake likes this

8) Tech in the streets, Brawler in the sheets (8

Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

That is awful quoting.

• Bergwein and Zebanchi like this

CRITICAL ASSIST

v9KKbH9.png
Spoiler

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

Sorry for the snark, but what is a new player supposed to think about your name (which apparently you edited specifically to evoke a response) and then what you wrote?  You may mean well, but without a healthy level of humility in there it just comes across (to me at least) as narcissism.  But in hindsight I should not have listened to my gut and just not replied at all, since this type/level of play will never affect me.  

• coldform, RedVan, _incitatus and 5 others like this

lwY3QRd.jpg

HOHOHOSANTA

HOHOHOSANTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Just in case anyone else double checks like I did:

No, Hyginos didn't write all that extra stuff.

I'm on m phone lol is hard and I'm at work

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Sorry for the snark, but what is a new player supposed to think about your name (which apparently you edited specifically to evoke a response) and then what you wrote?  You may mean well, but without a healthy level of humility in there it just comes across (to me at least) as narcissism.  But in hindsight I should not have listened to my gut and just not replied at all, since this type/level of play will never affect me.  

No worries.  Apologies for the harsh reply. 

Honestly, I find most players recognize that "Ultra-Lord of the God-Kings" rings slightly facetious.  As for narcissism, we're aware that we're playing a game - and rest assured, Hawken doesn't factor heavily into our self-concepts.  And as for humility, well, truthfully, we've been pretty damn reserved during our stay.  As you've just demonstrated, though, sometimes people decide to address irritations directly and bluntly.

americanbrit14

americanbrit14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

s-l300.jpg

• Jelooboi, Trych and Zebanchi like this

VfuS0qE.png?1

contracted by 

??

INDUSTRY

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Never heard of them lol all I know is the players capable if formed together on a team can beat them imo hypothetically speaking imagine a team that consist of like..Cluster. Xiphos27. Cond0m. DarkTim300. Merl16. Etc in that aspect all one a team. I think it's very possible for them to win. But as Merl16 said himself in the post below this it is impossible to bring such a team together leaving their respective tram they're on now to come together on one team. Unless they take the time to consider it and talk about it. On a serious note

FTFY.

Honestly the team you put together would do OK but there would have to do some serious work on comms to avoid getting brutally out-rotated. At the very least throw x9x8x7x on the roster.

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

I keep hearing stories in their TS about "Omni killer" super-teams that have been put together in other games. Never heard of them lol all I know is the players capable if formed together on a team can beat them imo hypothetically speaking imagine a team that consist of like..Cluster. Xiphos27. Cond0m. DarkTim300. Merl16. Etc in that aspect all one a team. I think it's very possible for them to win. But as Merl16 said himself in the post below this it is impossible to bring such a team together leaving their respective tram they're on now to come together on one team. Unless they take the time to consider it and talk about it. On a serious note

I was gonna try to get one together a long time ago when a lot of TPG teams dissolved but I figured it wouldn't work out for multiple reasons and dropped the idea. There would've been unavoidable personality clashes, and one person not being able to attend (which, in all likelihood, would've been me because of factors which were out of my control. This is also why I never accepted Omni invitations, actually.) would've broken the team. The hypothetical starting roster was Xacius, cond0m, Dew, Merl, Cluster, and me. We would've been a shoe-in for at least second, but honestly I think Omni's ability to coordinate that's been developed over the course of years would've been too much to overcome without an unreasonable amount of practice.

d1eZeG3.png

RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

"The thing that makes Omni so good is their longevity and consistency"...

"Their skill can be matched"

So you're telling me that there are others that can match Omni skill, skill they've had pretty much from the beginning, yet teams couldn't beat them before "longevity" came into play either?

Edited by RedVan, 11 February 2016 - 11:41 AM.

HOHOHOSANTA

HOHOHOSANTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

FTFY.

Honestly the team you put together would do OK but there would have to do some serious work on comms to avoid getting brutally out-rotated. At the very least throw x9x8x7x on the roster.

yea lol there's more players that can go in on it that's y I said hypothetically and "etc" also y I said they would have to discuss that in a serious note. I believe if such a team comes together they can coordinate well just have to put then Egos aside for a moment

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
Wish you'd join a tpg team Jeff and get some comp xp, you'd probably be good at it.

At the end of the day Hawken tpg amounts to a smallish open division almost entirely of players new to competition league play.

Tpg dod near its death was 5 times its size with a solid 10+ years of development and a nearly impenetrable invite division.

If we had that here.

After seeing Omni perform against the handful of teams Hawken has had in what amounts to a small open/pub level division, I'd move them up to Im and if they still stomp preseason give them a taste of main division for a full regular season.

A few hundred old money pros and a huge pub community always throwing new blood in is an altogether different animal.

lwY3QRd.jpg

HOHOHOSANTA

HOHOHOSANTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

I was gonna try to get one together a long time ago when a lot of TPG teams dissolved but I figured it wouldn't work out for multiple reasons and dropped the idea. There would've been unavoidable personality clashes, and one person not being able to attend (which, in all likelihood, would've been me because of factors which were out of my control. This is also why I never accepted Omni invitations, actually.) would've broken the team. The hypothetical starting roster was Xacius, cond0m, Dew, Merl, Cluster, and me. We would've been a shoe-in for at least second, but honestly I think Omni's ability to coordinate that's been developed over the course of years would've been too much to overcome without an unreasonable amount of practice.

honestly you don't even need high mmr players cause it's just a number but if you have a team that can click in terms of coordination but do know how to play of course then they have a chance. Also from when I've started I can honestly alot of us have improved to atleast keep up with most people and others are still at their current level from when u first joined the game.

Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

...Climatic approached us after failing to secure a starting position on BSB's HFC

Good thing too since HFC was doomed to fail before it started, lol.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NeptIsGreat, Omni

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users