• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

teeth_03

teeth_03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Played for about 3-4 hours tonight about the time split evenly between MA and TDM, and having to switch servers constantly to find a decent game is the most frustrating thing. I would go to join a game that is about over, to see over half the server empty between matches. I would try to stay for the next match, but it wouldn't get full again until almost the end so it was just a cycle of "getting full near the end, server empties after it ends, and takes almost the whole next game to get full again"

Maybe if we make the time between matches shorter, perhaps that will persuade players to stop leaving since the wait time is too much for these kids to wait for.

Oh, and get rid of the daily match bonuses per game type because that isn't helping. Maybe just have 1 larger win bonus for any game type.

• Merl61 likes this

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

I made a suggestion regarding this issue earlier today. Take a gander

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

teeth_03

teeth_03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Fairly decent idea, but my thoughts would be a bit easier to implement I think. We need to think in terms of "quick and easy" fixes the devs can do without a whole lot of effort on their part.

Changing the amount of time between matches is most likely just 1 line of code that would need changed, and something they could do pretty quickly. A single global win bonus would probably be a bit more work, but its not as far as adding a whole new game play element to the game.

What they could do which might be easier, would be to make each match have a win bonus (ergo, change the amount of time it takes to reset the "daily" timer and let it repeat itself each match), but have the bonus be a lot smaller. So each time you win, you get a "daily" bonus of maybe like, 100 HC no matter what gametype you play.

Then in the future, give another bonus for being in the whole game from start to finish

• Merl61 likes this

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

Fairly decent idea, but my thoughts would be a bit easier to implement I think. We need to think in terms of "quick and easy" fixes the devs can do without a whole lot of effort on their part.

Changing the amount of time between matches is most likely just 1 line of code that would need changed, and something they could do pretty quickly. A single global win bonus would probably be a bit more work, but its not as far as adding a whole new game play element to the game.

What they could do which might be easier, would be to make each match have a win bonus (ergo, change the amount of time it takes to reset the "daily" timer and let it repeat itself each match), but have the bonus be a lot smaller. So each time you win, you get a "daily" bonus of maybe like, 100 HC no matter what gametype you play.

Then in the future, give another bonus for being in the whole game from start to finish

I agree about shortening the time between matches, maybe. I like being able to look at the post match information, and people should still need to ready up before the next match starts. I could be convinced though.

It would definitely agree that just doing an HC bonus for consecutive matches would be easier to implement, and that's probably a good idea for the short term. Long term though, once more pressing issues are out of the way, I would love to see that bonus evolve into something akin to my salvage idea, for the reasons I outlined in that post.

JgQjgkx.png

Nov8tr

Nov8tr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

There are reasons sometimes. I played a match of Missile Assault yesterday. Finished the match then left. I had to fix something to eat for supper. I played today with a group and defended them through 2 matches. However they abandoned me over and over and over. After the end of the 2nd match I left as I could no longer support their "play style". So it's not always because of selfish reasons. Although I do admit after playing for years, it usually is.

"Nov8tr" is pronounced "INNOVATOR"

aEGHJsh.gif?1

Yes I'm really 64 yrs old. July 6, 1953

teeth_03

teeth_03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Everybody has to leave at some point, that isn't the issue. The problem is, there is a large group of players that leave after EVERY match no matter what.

I've seen a few people on the forums even admit they do it because its quicker to get into the next match. I just want to reach through the screen and slap those people because they really hurt the game due to their selfishness.

Imagine playing a game of softball with the bros, and after every inning, half of them get into their cars and drive to another field to play. But you don't know where they went so you just stay, and try to play a game with half the amount of people it normally takes.

Black_Knight_Sky

Black_Knight_Sky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

I think two things factor into this and aren't helping things, the first would be the daily win bonus, which people log in and just play one game of each game mode and log out, and second the teams shuffling between games discourages continued team-play as you're likely not to have the same team any two games even if everyone stays. Not to mention the lack of ingame voice chat limits pub-game communication to marking enemies and requesting help.

I think a consecutive bonus for games played that stacks like a multiplier would almost instantly fix this, as players would be really trying to win game after game after game to try and stack that multiplier to get more HC at the end of the games. This could just exist in tandem with the daily wins, so that both players hoping in for dailies and those looking for hours of play would be catered and content.

• LRod likes this

dopual4fd3c.png

DreamedArtist

DreamedArtist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
we need voice chat back into this game it's been broken for almost 2 years.

I remember when it was working it was rare to see anyone leave a match after the 10th one was done.

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

we need voice chat back into this game it's been broken for almost 2 years.

I remember when it was working it was rare to see anyone leave a match after the 10th one was done.

From what I've heard, VoIP is so fuzzy bunnied that it might not ever be back. Even if it is fixed, it won't be for a long time

JgQjgkx.png

DreamedArtist

DreamedArtist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

From what I've heard, VoIP is so fuzzy bunnied that it might not ever be back. Even if it is fixed, it won't be for a long time

I am sure if someone can make a game they can add a voice over option to it. should be a no brainer

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

I am sure if someone can make a game they can add a voice over option to it. should be a no brainer

Agreed, I believe at this point it's just the fact that they'll be starting over from scratch on it

JgQjgkx.png

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

My ideas for reducing this phenomenon:

1. Player can only earn the Daily Bonus if they play the match from the very beginning to the very end.

2. An escalating bonus for multiple matches on the same server - after you've played 3 matches on the same server, you get a bonus... and that gets exponentially bigger for every match you complete after that.

3. Rage quit penalty:  If a player quits a match a: after they have been in it more than 60 seconds and b: before the match is completely over, they may not join another match AT ALL for 4 minutes.

• (Unknown)1590d2c747fabd likes this

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

I will leave if one of the following is true:

1. Team is incredibly bad and I am not motivated.

2. I forgot to change something in my mech and it's urgent.

3. Lost connection.

4. Pizza is ready.

:]

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

opicr0n

opicr0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

I will leave if one of the following is true:

1. Team is incredibly bad and I am not motivated.

I have this sometimes. But instead of leaving I try to really stick to my team. It helps a bit-- and besides, being put in a bad team means one has to work harder to accomplish win (if possible at all).

Trying to recall when I left a game early, cant even remember, anybody know if I did? ;)

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

...and let slip the dogs of war...

Twitter%201.jpg?psid=1Steam%202.jpg?psid=1Tube%203.jpg?psid=1Hawken%204.jpg?psid=1Twitch%205.jpg?psid=1

Spoiler

OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Players leave when they are loosing. That is just part of the game. That, or once they have their dailies which is the dumbest thing in the world. 

I leave if I have to take a crap (we all know it takes time to be on the throne), take out the garbage, or have to go somewhere. Otherwise, the struggle is real and the fight is on. 

Play hard, play tough, play Hawken. 

Edited by OmegaNull, 24 March 2015 - 12:19 PM.

Scootin' 'n Shoot | Bawlin' 'n Brawlin' | Ragin' 'n Raidin'

ca62ab9a-2ce9-4a20-b368-0cde03b1331d.png

"Velocitas et Eradico"

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

I have this sometimes. But instead of leaving I try to really stick to my team. It helps a bit-- and besides, being put in a bad team means one has to work harder to accomplish win (if possible at all).

Trying to recall when I left a game early, cant even remember, anybody know if I did? ;)

I don't want to work harder for the same result or even worse, for a bad result.

My team win rate is still 65% even though I leave games often (so I am awesome :P).

Edited by FakeName, 24 March 2015 - 11:04 PM.

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

I can't remember exactly what it was, but didn't Xacius at one point suggest rewards for completing consecutive matches?

• DerMax and (Unknown)1590d2c747fabd like this

Nov8tr

Nov8tr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

OK I have to 2nd if the pizza is ready. Pizza FTW!! Uh with bacon of course. :D

"Nov8tr" is pronounced "INNOVATOR"

aEGHJsh.gif?1

Yes I'm really 64 yrs old. July 6, 1953

(Unknown)1590d2c747fabd

(Unknown)1590d2c747fabd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

My ideas for reducing this phenomenon:

1. Player can only earn the Daily Bonus if they play the match from the very beginning to the very end.

2. An escalating bonus for multiple matches on the same server - after you've played 3 matches on the same server, you get a bonus... and that gets exponentially bigger for every match you complete after that.

3. Rage quit penalty:  If a player quits a match a: after they have been in it more than 60 seconds and b: before the match is completely over, they may not join another match AT ALL for 4 minutes.

THIS ^^^

Waiting around for the next match does kinda suck but its not all that long. Perhaps part of the fix might be giving the ability to fix things on your Mech between matches without leaving? (To address FakeName's point #2 "I forgot to change something in my mech and it's urgent.")

• StubbornPuppet likes this
A little link from the "old days" because it seems I lost all my street cred with the forum reboot:

http://hawken.mirror...primary-weapon/

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

I can't remember exactly what it was, but didn't Xacius at one point suggest rewards for completing consecutive matches?

I literally just wrote that a few posts up.

"An escalating bonus for multiple matches on the same server - after you've played 3 matches on the same server, you get a bonus... and that gets exponentially bigger for every match you complete after that."

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

yup but the grind isn't that high so doing this would require to modify the HC gain otherwise.

You gain HC depending on how much time is spend on a game, so the appropriate bonus could be a "x1.5" (after 30min), "x2" (after 1 hour) and "x3" (after 1hour and a half) to the HC gained that way (not the victory or team switch bonus), and reduce the base HC amount by -33%.

Reduce it to "x1.5" for players that stayed in a server for more than 2hours of play in a row (playing too much is bad :-P I remember when Guild wars 1 introduced the message which said they you should have a pause).

Remove the "daily win" bonus, add a "weekly log-in" worth 1000HC and a "daily played" worth 250HC if you play a full game (once per day limited to "competitive games" such as TDM or siege).

IRZUTYo.png

gXO9Nfd.pngmXasTsY.pngft4VqcE.png

KDR Member | Streamer | Priority Target II

Spoiler

Black_Knight_Sky

Black_Knight_Sky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

I think the HC would be fine if it was just a two stage bonus, say after two consecutive games you get a 1.5 and after 5 consecutive games you get a 2x and just not have a 3x at all, I think this in tandem with the dailies as they are now would work really well.

dopual4fd3c.png

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

There have been numerous suggestions to that effect. I linked to mine earlier in the thread

JgQjgkx.png

mittens800

mittens800

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

It takes like a minute for a new match.  That is way too long.

And then when the match finally starts there's another 20 or 30s of waiting in the fun box.

So basically 1:30 total.

You can quit and find a new match in 10s.  

I don't like waiting for no reason.  Can the animation and get back to the game.

Also if the teams weren't even (which they most likely were not with the 80% stomp games) a lot of people will leave.

I'm sure you must have experienced the same team winning over and over and over again... it's like MM gets stuck in a loop.

Once I see that happening I know it's bye bye time.

LRod

LRod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

I have been playing for about two years now and have determined that I will only leave a match for the following reasons:

1. Wife calls -- I know how my bread gets buttered and as a result she gets priority

2. Nature calls -- I'm only human...and I like to drink beer when I play

3. Balance is f*cked -- I'm just not putting up with it anymore...end of story...not worth it for me to feed some clown's ego

• Nov8tr likes this

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting"  - Sun Tzu

(Unknown)1590d2c747fabd

(Unknown)1590d2c747fabd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

It takes like a minute for a new match.  That is way too long.

And then when the match finally starts there's another 20 or 30s of waiting in the fun box.

So basically 1:30 total.

You can quit and find a new match in 10s.  

I don't like waiting for no reason.  Can the animation and get back to the game.

Maybe its allowing people to "ready up" sooner? When critical mass is ready then game launches. People who don't ready up in the standard amount of time get punted for idling. 

Pretty much what happens now but allow pilots to click the button immediately upon game end.

3. Balance is f*cked -- I'm just not putting up with it anymore...end of story...not worth it for me to feed some clown's ego

Sounds like that is more of a team/pilot balancing problem causing the quitting. (I for one, and it looks like @mittens800 as well, agree.)

Perhaps a forced/automatic "re-balancing pilot to another server" function after each game for players that are performing outside some sort of standard deviation for the specific server? (You would incur no "continuous play bonus" penalty/interruption if this happened to you because it was not "elective".)

Edited by oSPANNERo, 25 March 2015 - 11:08 AM.

A little link from the "old days" because it seems I lost all my street cred with the forum reboot:

http://hawken.mirror...primary-weapon/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users