• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

So, I installed windows 10, kept my programs from win 7, saw the desktop, clicked on the HAWKEN icon, saw the login prompt.

I celebrated like a fuzzy bunny.

I was incredibly satisfied until I trying to record because that's a must in TPG.

I didn't face any problems in the past because they allowed us to record on low quality settings and I was able to record with a 15% fps loss or so. Not so bad for my potato PC.

Now the fps loss easily went beyond 70%, making the game unplayable.

Weird thing is, the system's resources consumption (based on the stats) is pretty much the same as on windows 7.

So, 2 things:

1- If you have a potato PC, don't install windows 10. Just trust me.

2- If you have any tips and how I can somehow solve the matter PLEASE post them below.

Man am I screwed ...

The PC community is the red headed step child Reloaded never wanted but got saddled with when they married the PC community's mother.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Shoutout to mah real Africans out there.

HK-47D

HK-47D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Query: What are your system specs? Did you install the latest video drivers for your specific card?

(\__/)
(='.'=) 

(") (")?

Crosau

Crosau

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I do not play on a potato but also have encountered a problem with alt tabbing into a black screen that requires a system restart to be resolved. Yes, I have the correct drivers, yes I have rebooted multiple times for those who might ask.

SS396

SS396

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

1- If you have a potato PC, don't install windows 10. Just trust me.

Man am I screwed ...

Hahaha.

Thats just plain silly, I've noticed a sizeable increase in FPS and I've also even noticed a few new graphical additions that I haven't ever noticed before.

I guess you have 29 days to click that rollback button, better get started before windows.old is removed from your hard drive, lol.

I do not play on a potato but also have encountered a problem with alt tabbing into a black screen that requires a system restart to be resolved. Yes, I have the correct drivers, yes I have rebooted multiple times for those who might ask.

Alt tabbing doesn't work the same now in Windows 10, its slightly annoying.  In the old days when you alt tabbed with one application open you are given 2 applications, the one you are running and the desktop, Win10 does not display the desktop application anymore, only the single application you are running, so when you are alt tabbing you are just reselecting the same application as you are currently running.

If you are wanting to switch to the desktop to open another application or the start menu, (which I assume you are wanting to do) you have to use the new windows key + tab feature, from there you are able to access the start menu.  Its annoying I know, I hope they make a change and make it like it used to be, I've found myself quite a few times running into the roadblock.

[DELETED]

fuzzy bunny you CZeroFive 

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

I guess you have 29 days to click that rollback button, better get started before windows.old is removed from your hard drive, lol.

Except when you can't roll back.

The PC community is the red headed step child Reloaded never wanted but got saddled with when they married the PC community's mother.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Shoutout to mah real Africans out there.

SS396

SS396

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Except when you can't roll back.

I guess I don't understand, why can't you?  The installer should of backed up all your old windows to windows.old on your hard drive, did you do something stupid and delete it?

This is also why the first step in any OS upgrade is backup your system.  I cloned my drive to another one, so that if I ever want to go back, all I have to do is stab the old drive in the bay and boot it.

Tough lesson to learn I guess, but bust out your old Windows 7 cd and reinstall, maybe next time you won't make the same silly mistakes, but telling others to not install windows 10 is rather silly, when you should be telling people to not delete windows.old until you are sure you don't ever want to go back.

Also, your issue seems to be tied directly to recording right?  Works fine when not recording right??  Wouldn't the simpler solution be to just not record?  How about recording to a faster device, like a USB 2.0 thumbdrive or a sata III SSD?  Maybe you could buy an Nvidia 600 series or higher card and use the hardware to capture instead of putting the extra load on your CPU.  My guess though is your disk throughput is whats causing your recording issues, but you really haven't said whats causing the problem so its just a stab in the dark.

Theres plenty of other ways to record your screen.  Hell, take an old phone and tape it to a hat, buy a raspberry pi and the camera, buy a flip camera, a go pro.  The rules state that you just have to record the screen, it doesn't say you have to use something ON the computer to record the screen.  Think out of the box dude.  lol.

[DELETED]

Dr_Freeze001

Dr_Freeze001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Apparently this is a thing? http://www.polygon.c...rd-screen-video

Something to do with Win 10 having build-in recording software. Haven't tried it out yet (soon), but might have less impact on FPS.

EDIT: did Hawken test. As the article said, didn't work in fullscreen. Otherwise the results were:

Without recording: fluxuates between 90/60 fps (in/out of combat) 

With recording: between 80/50 fps.

So a +-10 fps drop. Image quality is good, text is readable, so definitely good enough for anti-cheat purposes. It did open the XBox app tough, and me being lazy I just rolled with it. Behold my brand spanking new XBox account, or whatever it's called.

EDIT 2: It just saves the MP4 in the User/Videos/recordings folder, so no need for the app. When you stop recording it'll give you a message saying 'Open this now?' That goes to the XBox app. Ignore it and go to the folder directly.

Edited by (KDR) Dr_Freeze001, 01 August 2015 - 03:58 PM.

KkaQ7HY.png

hsabot4.png  jaDBqOD.png  JsRCQoO.png  4XXKL4C.png

KDR Clan Leader | UVW Host |  KOBALT Leader

contact.KOBALT@gmail.com

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

a4LQXAZ_700b_v1.jpg

• Guns_N_Rozer, Meraple and Rajitha like this

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

n3onfx

n3onfx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

The Xbox app does allow recording like Freeze explained and it's surprisingly good from what I tested, cuts a lot less fps than other recording solutions I tried. If you have a slow hard drive like I do the recording will slow things down though, nothing can be done about that if your HDD is a bit old.

So far on an i5 2500k, HD6950 (which is starting to be a bit dated even overclocked) and 8gb RAM I'm having slightly better performance in Hawken under W10 than W8.1. Catalyst drivers are the latest.

t

t

DWEH3ZP.png   CRITICAL  RqKpxHn.png    ASSIST   VDNrFxD.png

t

t

SS396

SS396

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

snip

I don't get it.

Is that supposed to be comprehensible?   Cause it looks like its missing a few context statements.

[DELETED]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users